Under Defeat for Dreamcast

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm biased since my favorite type of shmups are military/heli ones, but this game is great.
I'm lovin' it so far.

reminds me a bit of Zero Gunner and Tiger-Heli in certain aspects (enemy patterns, the way tanks blow up, options, etc.)

my only gripe is the lack of any kind of spread shot, but that would likely change the gameplay if it was present. I'll just have to get used to the more precise lock-on style of the game.

oh yeah and the bombs in this game rock. huge screen-filling explosions :D

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Got my copy today finally, and of course the poster got bent during shipping.:envy:

Just amazing, the bomb...yeah.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Decided to pick-up a copy for myself this evening. All the good talk about this shooter kind of forced me into getting it(plus, it's the last DC release from what i've heard also). Can't wait to play it when I get home.

One things for sure, this has definately been one of the most expensive shooter purchases for me in awhile. Still looking for a copy of Espgaluda. Sucks I only got the sticker and not the poster with my limited edition. Oh well.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Uh, this game is AMAZING, Radirgy was such a dissapointment and this made up for it HUGE. The Lighting effects are beautiful ....the poofs of smoke left after you destroy an enemy with little smoke trials from debris fucking priceless!
This title is up there with border down and Ikaruga as far as quality is concerned, Its definately pushing the DC to its limits

I am in Dreamcast nirvana

Kiel

20 Year Member
Attention to details, anybody notice the the shells being discharged when you are shooting? Rad. And the bomb is like the face of the earth is exploding but sadly it doesnt do that much damage.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Played about two hours of UD last night. Good stuff. The 3rd boss was the farthest I could get to. Those damn homing missles trailing the heli(can be in front also) is what mostly got me. You guys weren't kidding when you mentioned the bomb effects in this game. INSANE!

Still, for the amount of coverage the bomb does on the screen, i expected the explosion to do quite a bit more damage. I wish the BGM was a little more upbeat also. So far, i've only liked the boss encounter music with the battleship. It wouldn't have hurt if they had added the rotary propeller noise for the chopper, after a boss is defeated too(Tiger Heli).

Other than that, it's a great game with the awesome details you guys have been mentioning. G. Rev definately has my vote with this little number.

Btw, is this the first shooter where you can change the camera(1, 2, 3, Tate) during gameplay?

Kiken

Camel Slug
dakingofzumunda said:
Btw, is this the first shooter where you can change the camera(1, 2, 3, Tate) during gameplay?

I assume by camera that you mean screen orientation... and I think it is. I'm pretty sure that every other tate shmup I've ever played had to have the screen orientation changed in the options menu.

Although, I do think that this is the first shmup to feature multiple camera angles (even if mainly just on replays).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Kiken said:
Although, I do think that this is the first shmup to feature multiple camera angles (even if mainly just on replays).

Really? Awesome, have to try that out.

Up to level 4, still have a few probs with the boss... any tips guys?

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'm liking Under Defeat quite alot so far. It refreshing to have a gimmick free system in a modern shooter. The graphics are undeniably crisp and shiny although the design is maybe lacking in imagination a bit. I can the strange feeling that I'm playing a PC game.

I would have liked a choice of different crafts maybe, especially considering that the primary weapon never changes or upgrades.

My biggest criticism would be the music though, absolutely banal crap in my view. Zero Gunner 2 suffered from this problem too and it's shame as it could have been so much more atmospheric.

Still, all in all it's a really solid and fun shooter in my book. :D

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
moonwhistle said:
My biggest criticism would be the music though, absolutely banal crap in my view. Zero Gunner 2 suffered from this problem too and it's shame as it could have been so much more atmospheric.

Still, all in all it's a really solid and fun shooter in my book. :D

I think the music is great

I wish ZG2 had a soundtrack half as good as this one

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Kind of wondering why I haven't gotten my copy from PA yet. I usually get stuff surprisingly fast from them. Hope it didn't get lost.

Very anxious to check this out for myself.

Kind of wondering why I haven't gotten my copy from PA yet. I usually get stuff surprisingly fast from them. Hope it didn't get lost.
I'm in Texas and I just got mine today (pre-order). I'm betting if you are in Florida you should get it tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
Retrogamer said:
Radirgy was such a dissapointment and...

man, you're just brutal aren't you. Probably the first person I've met who found radirgy to be that wasn't fantabulous.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
kingbuzzo said:
man, you're just brutal aren't you. Probably the first person I've met who found radirgy to be that wasn't fantabulous.
you haven't been around much then have you?

Kiel

20 Year Member
What? You guys are insane...

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Just ordered the Sega Direct version :D

Hopefully it'll arrive before the end of the weekend... until then I think I'll dig out Zero Gunner 2 :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hey Tarma... long time no see!

I did not preorder Radilgy after I heard it was made by the same people who also made Chaos Field, but then I tried it when one of my buddies got his copy and was surprised, the game is quite decent from what I've seen... ...and I dig the weird graphics with all those funny details, for ex. the ball-throwing enemy "ship" is really hilarious... still, it will take a few months until I have time to thoroughly play it because I'm busy with Ibara, Homura, Raiden III and of course Under Defeat at the moment.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Finally got mine today. Agree with pretty much everything that's already been said: in short, an awesome little shooter. Very well thought out and executed across the board. Tight controls; one thing I've always wondered about since laying eyes on this. Scoring is fairly straight forward, but still interesting enough to keep gameplay engrossing. I'm really impressed with the way the options were integrated. Kind of a mix between ZG2 and Mars Matrix/GigaWing. Original.

Speaking of options, I've seen mention of using the Missles on bosses to get rid of them quickly. I watched the replays for the first and second stage and noticed he gets rid of both bosses with a quickness using the Cannon. Quicker than I can get rid of the first boss with missles considering timing issues. Granted, I've only played an hour and I suck at this point, but are you guys killing the first boss at least quicker than the replay? Just curious really. Still trying to manage my options differently to see what works best for me.

As for Radilgy, I'll admit I'm not too interested in it either. I haven't played it at all, but nothing is really drawing me to it. Plus I still haven't bought Ibara or Raiden III, so it definitely comes after those on my list.

Kiel

20 Year Member
I myself prefer the cannon option, you can take out the bosses pretty quick if you just go for their weak spots but I'm more comfortable taking ot the guns before moving on.

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
something's odd.. :(

1. I occasionally get this "please restart, press ABXYStart" screen, commonly when i first start-up the game
2. THere is no Music/Sound on the Intro->Title screen
3. I get a slight Pause everytime i get hit/die....

im using me ol' jpn dc, which works great on otehr games...

is my disc ruined??

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
roninbuddha said:
3. I get a slight Pause everytime i get hit/die....

part of the game

so you know which of the bastards (bullets) hit you

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
roker said:
part of the game

so you know which of the bastards (bullets) hit you

kewl, thanks for confirming...

how bout no.2? there really no intro music?

i've been getting better loadings this time around (im using my Asia-60hzPAL DC)... i dont get the "Please Restart" message anymore... well, at least not that often..

verbel

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm enjoying this quite alot. I was worried cause I did'nt really enjoy Border Down. As for all the comments on radirgy(sp?) I love that game I find it hard to put down.