PC Engine/ Turbo Duo shmups!

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Can anyone recommend me what the best shooters (not released on other systems or arcade) for the PC Engine are?

HuCards and CDROM2 games both please!

Sapphire

World Soccer '96
IMO the best is Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (it's a Arcade SCD2 Release...so you'll need the Arcade card Duo or Pro to play...)

good are:

Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade
Star Parodier
Gate of thunder
Lords / Winds of thunder
Magical Chase
Sidearms + Special
Super Darius
Super Darius 2
Salamander
Cyber Core
Dragon Spirit
and a lot of others

Last edited:

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Here is our top list:

Tiger Heli (PC Engine got the best port)
Soldier Blade
Galaga 88
Space Invanders Revive (very fun PC Engine port)
Magical Chase

There are countless great shooters in the PC-Engine... that's why I love it so much:

Download, Hu
Galaga 88/90, Hu
Gate of Thunder, SCD
Image Fight, Hu
Lords of Thunder, SCD
Macross 2036, SCD
Sapphire, ACD (yes it's very good... but not worth $400)
Spriggan, CD
Spriggan mk2 Re-Terraform, SCD
Star Parodia, SCD (..Twinbee with PC-Engine characters)
Star Soldier series, all Hu...
- Super Star Soldier
- Final Soldier
- Soldier Blade <- the daddy!

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Burning Angels (lots of anime women, but awesome music)
Barunba
Final Soldier
Final Blaster

Last edited:

starman

Armored Scrum Object
The Gradius 1/2 ports and Rtype ports are probably the best versions of said games, even better than the arcade versions (IMO).

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Summer Carnival 92 Alzadick(Even if it does have a homo sounding name)
Mr Heli

That is all.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
starman said:
The Gradius 1/2 ports and Rtype ports are probably the best versions of said games, even better than the arcade versions (IMO).

Huh? The PCE version of Gradius 1 has issues. Sure, it has an extra level, but he slow down makes the game unplayable in quite a few parts. I prefer the Saturn Gradius Deluxe Pack version.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
My favorites:

Lords of Thunder
Soldier Blade
Air Zonk
Cho Aniki
Magical Chase
Gate of Thunder
Download
Download II
Star Parodier

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
starman said:
Rtype ports are probably the best versions of said games, even better than the arcade versions (IMO).
I'd all most agree but, R-type on the... pce suffers from a flicker problem.

To me R-types on PS1 is still the best port.

Btw my list.

Sapphire
Coryoon
GodPanic
Lords of Thunder
Blazeing Lazer/Gunhed
Gate of Thunder
Galaga 88
Spriggan
Spriggan Mark2
Lords of Thunder
Any Soldier game.

Last edited:

starman

Armored Scrum Object
Tron 2.0 said:
I'd all most agree but, R-type on the, PCE suffers from a flicker problem.

To me R-types on PS1 is still the best port.
But the music man! The PCE version has such cool music :cool: .

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
starman said:
But the music man! The PCE version has such cool music :cool: .
If you mean, R-type complete call me jaded i perfer the original;)

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Tron 2.0 said:
If you mean, R-type complete call me jaded i perfer the original;)

Me too. I prefer the original R-Type soundtrack over the remixed one in R-Type Complete.

starman

Armored Scrum Object
twalden said:
Huh? The PCE version of Gradius 1 has issues. Sure, it has an extra level, but he slow down makes the game unplayable in quite a few parts. I prefer the Saturn Gradius Deluxe Pack version.
It slows down, but not to the point of unplayability--if anything, it allows me to dodge all those goddamn bullets those little things spew out...
I haven't playn the Saturn Gradius Deluxe pack, but if it's a straight arcade port I probably wouldn't like it--the music was waaay too tinny, and sounds harsh to my poor poor ears. :oh_no:

twalden said:
Me too. I prefer the original R-Type soundtrack over the remixed one in R-Type Complete.
Well I suppose in the end it's all a matter of choice... :emb:

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
You must find 'Nexzr'(jap only)...an amazing vertical shooter for the CD-ROM-2...but it is rare & expensive...the gameplay,music, graphics are stunning!:buttrock:

meanbean

Armored Scrum Object
The best shmups on TG16/CD are Blazing Lasers then Super Star Soldier and finally Gates of Thunder.

Last edited:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Gates/Lords of Thunder is way better on the Duo then the Sega CD version. One of the best Duo shooters, escpecially because it's not insanely expensive.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but Symead's Terraforming is awesome. Really orginal enemies, and power-ups. It's pretty hard to find though.

Weevus said:
Gates/Lords of Thunder is way better on the Duo then the Sega CD version. One of the best Duo shooters, escpecially because it's not insanely expensive.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but Symead's Terraforming is awesome. Really orginal enemies, and power-ups. It's pretty hard to find though.

Got that, the US TTI release... it looks good and plays ok, but "meh" :spock: .... It didn't really stand out to me.

ProtoCat

n00b
I have a good number of shooters for the PCE, really there's the obvious Sapphire vote as well as Lords of Thunder, both with the rockin' soundtrack from T's. There's also the Soldier Blade series, which there's nothing wrong with, similar to cornbread.

I'm not sure I'd pick any of the Gradius/Salamander ports, though I did like the Gradius II CD since it was convenient for usage in my discman as a soundtrack (and now lives on my iPod) -- I even prefer the light filtering on the PCE over the Gradius Arcade soundtrack collection which sounds harsher. Both came from the YM2151 FM chip goodness of the arcade board.

I'm rather surprised to see Blazing Lasers mentioned! Not that it's unknown or anything, but to best explain: I've had a few friends swear up and down they're hopeless at shooters and I urge them all to check that one out. It really is the Driver's Ed of shooters -- basic and very easy to one-life. Much more forgiving than shoving them in front of Ikaruga or Mushihimesama and saying 'Have fun!'.

I'd strongly, strongly suggest Summer Carnival '93: Nexzr, which like Summer Carnival '92: Recca for NES, is not only terribly obscure, but also just totally awesome.