Roll Call: Ibara PS2

J

jpj

air economy means i'm gonna be waiting a week or so for this one. perhaps we should have an ibara high score thread!?!?!?!?!?

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
anybody got psyvariar 2 for the ps2? thinking of getting it. ultimate final had high scores. good reviews and shit.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
MUSOLINI said:
anybody got psyvariar 2 for the ps2? thinking of getting it. ultimate final had high scores. good reviews and shit.

Pass on this game.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Spike said:
Pass on this game.

I agree, I've had it for a long time on the xbox and I've only played a couple of times. It plays like a good homebrew game, but near the quality of a good shooter. I enjoyed XI stag more than this game (and I really didn't like stag all that much.)

Saturn2dfreak

Mickey's Coach
MUSOLINI said:

instead get Psikyo COlection 3...Awesome game!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
RBjakeSpecial said:
I agree, I've had it for a long time on the xbox and I've only played a couple of times. It plays like a good homebrew game, but near the quality of a good shooter. I enjoyed XI stag more than this game (and I really didn't like stag all that much.)

Agreed, had it for PS2 and sold it a week later. It wasn't bad, but compared to other great shooters, it's just average.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Does Ibara measure up to ESPGaluda and Mushihime-sama?
Inquiring minds wanna know...

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Saturn2dfreak said:
instead get Psikyo COlection 3...Awesome game!

I need this. My favorite Psikyo Collect is the first one with 1945 strikers 1 and 2... they are beautiful ports.

I want Psikyo 3 for Dragon Blaze... but Sol Divide looks a little lame.. the cover art is great for it, don't know about the gameplay though.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I've tried Ibara just for some minutes and I liked ESPgaluda and Mushihime much more. It's just hard for me to spot the bullets in the screen, maybe I need to get used to them. Does anybody experience this problem too?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So, my copy of Ibara is on its way, looking forward to it... but... lol @ "Edelweiss" :kekeke:

Btw., does Ibara run on Taito-X?

I'm still busy with Homura and Raiden III, and Dragon Blaze to a lesser extend. DB keeps biting my ass so I've stopped trying to 1cc it for now since I'm simply playing too much other stuff to actually improve my DB skills.

Ah yes, and I try to squeeze in a round or two of Mushihime every now and then, it's not up there with Homura IMO but I kinda like it.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
RGP said:
No its own tiny pcb as with most Cave games, if not all.

Earlier Cave games use PGM hardware, although most of them are in PCB format only (no cart). Anyway I'm surprised on how tiny are the latest Cave games pcbs :eek:

BIG

sony fanboy
Amano Jacu said:
Earlier Cave games use PGM hardware, although most of them are in PCB format only (no cart). Anyway I'm surprised on how tiny are the latest Cave games pcbs :eek:

I believe both Ibara and Mushihimesama are still running on the good ol' PGM hardware.

B-

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Ah yes, and I try to squeeze in a round or two of Mushihime every now and then, it's not up there with Homura IMO but I kinda like it.

You like Homaura? I tried to get into it at the arcade and I didn't really like it. I'll have to give it another chance. It seemed bland to me, what do you like about it? I really want to get into it cause it looks like Shikigami no shiro.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
what do you like about it?
Me, I like the risk/reward of the Seven Barrier Slash. The more you're willing to risk, the more damage you do, and the higher the multiplier goes... Relatively simple, but makes you play on the edge of your seat at all times.

But I shan't speak for Tak. :emb:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
RBjakeSpecial said:
You like Homaura? I tried to get into it at the arcade and I didn't really like it. I'll have to give it another chance. It seemed bland to me, what do you like about it? I really want to get into it cause it looks like Shikigami no shiro.

It's exactly like jro said, the Seven Barrier Slash + other neat scoring options/the bonus system are what keeps me coming back for more, racking up big combo scores is great fun, plus the game looks very nice. Bullet patterns are beautiful, not ProGear-beautiful but still cool... bosses could be better, but that's just a very minor gripe.

Overall, if you like playing shmups for score, Homura is a great choice. Get a good faq on the scoring/attack system or search the shmup forum (we had a discussion about this I believe) and try it again, it's really worth it IMO.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
It's exactly like jro said, the Seven Barrier Slash + other neat scoring options/the bonus system are what keeps me coming back for more, racking up big combo scores is great fun, plus the game looks very nice. Bullet patterns are beautiful, not ProGear-beautiful but still cool... bosses could be better, but that's just a very minor gripe.

Overall, if you like playing shmups for score, Homura is a great choice. Get a good faq on the scoring/attack system or search the shmup forum (we had a discussion about this I believe) and try it again, it's really worth it IMO.

Cool, thanks. I'll try it again... I think I can try it in the arcade this week! Still going back and forth on whether to get Ibara, probably going to wait, I'm playing too many RPGs right now... need to tate my TV and get back into the shooters.

SSS

neo retired
Loopz said:
Does Ibara measure up to ESPGaluda and Mushihime-sama?
Inquiring minds wanna know...

It's like the sequel to Battle Bakraid. They even go as far as to include the swinging mechanical arm that's in the first stage of Battle Garrega.

The purple bullets take some getting used to. For a cave shooter it's "different", but this sure as hell feels like a Raizing/Eighting shooter. That's not a bad thing as I like Armored Police, Brave Blade, and Bakraid.

This game has a great "frantic" feel to it. Where as Espgaluda for me is very relaxed as I have basically memorized the entire game and can just glide my way to the final boss.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Okay, just have a question for those of you that own Ibara for PS2.

I picked up this game on Friday from a local import game shop and I've played it a bit. Compared to the arcade version, there is a bit of loading not present in the arcade version and a lot of the in-game options and secrets must be accessed from the options menu now. I don't understand why Taito has such a hard time doing what Arika has been doing this whole time with porting Cave shooters. Anyhow, the Arrange mode included in the PS2 version is about 90% equel to the Black Label board, but there are no options for adjusting the difficulty nor do they give a detailed description of the four ship types and don't give you the option of Linear and wide shot for each player side. Also you can't select Extended or Harder mode in Arrange.

Finally, on to my question. Today my friend got a high score, but for some reason he did not rank and the game didn't let him enter his initials. I must say that in all my time playing games for nearly 20 years, I have never seen someone get a high score but had the game glitch and not let them rank. Taito really needs to fix big problems like this before releasing a game to the market. Has this happened to any of you yet?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
No problems with that here, your friend must have done something like push start, etc.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Spike said:
No problems with that here, your friend must have done something like push start, etc.

Whats the verdict, man? Should I get it?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
BIG said:
I'm really diggin' this game,so yeah...go for it.

B-

as far as ports go, is it better than the Mushi port? Thats really my main concern. Probably order this thing any day now....temptation is too huge