Conan

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Conan Protrait instead of Finish flag? :)

Only kidding, anyone gonna go to vanta to see him arrive today?

Raz

Reiko

Mr. Big's Thug
No... I live too far away ;)

Conan tule Tampereelle!!! Josko turismikin kasvaisi Conanin myötä?

viaton

Neo Geo Cup '98
Nah, not gonna go but he's a very cool mediapersoona anyway! :buttrock:

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
I would've gone to see him, but I had to go to work. Oh well, I would've just been behind a thousand people, and seen squat.

aria

Former Moderator
I heard he was visiting the country, but you guys make it sound like its going to rival the return of Ayatollah Khomeni from exile

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Bobak said:
I heard he was visiting the country, but you guys make it sound like its going to rival the return of Ayatollah Khomeni from exile

We do? How so?

Most of the hype he says in the show is just talk. Late Night is broadcast in Finland on a network aimed at younger people, and it's not even available to some parts of the country. It doesn't have very good ratings in the bigger picture, though it is one of the network's most succesful shows. And no, it's not on in prime time like he says, but in the middle of the night.

But make no mistake, his actions have captured the attention of the whole country, and his visit is on every tabloid and on the TV news, regardless of the network.

That's what he gets, when he targets a small country like Finland. But I'm glad, naturally. :)

Akira_Tekagi

Kula's Candy
Bobak said:
Yes, it was a pretty large event when Conan arrived here in Finland about 8 hours ago because there were well over one thousand fans welcoming him at the Helsinki - Vantaa airport. I saw on the news that he even gave a short speech in Finnish during the press conference! He requested Tarja to give him a minister position in return for supporting her in the election. :D Conan's visit is going to last for 5 days. He's going to meet Tarja on tuesday and he's also going to appear on the Telvis gala (one of Finland's TV award shows) to present an award.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
I really hope the American media gives this coverage (or at least THe Daily Show)..

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
finngamer said:
We do? How so?

Most of the hype he says in the show is just talk. Late Night is broadcast in Finland on a network aimed at younger people, and it's not even available to some parts of the country. It doesn't have very good ratings in the bigger picture, though it is one of the network's most succesful shows. And no, it's not on in prime time like he says, but in the middle of the night.

But make no mistake, his actions have captured the attention of the whole country, and his visit is on every tabloid and on the TV news, regardless of the network.

That's what he gets, when he targets a small country like Finland. But I'm glad, naturally. :)

Hurrah home from da kapakka.

My 2 cents on the conan thing.

he did the "I look like Tarja halonen" skit while the presidential election was underway. naturally the social democrat peeps capitalized on the matter, nonwithstanding that he´s a not so well-known us talk show host whose program can be seen on a fin cable channel, publicity is publicity.

Almost in tandem these "Conan hype" articles were published in finnish tabloids which were pro-halonen (Iltalehti) and afterwards I guess they got the idea that they should invite him here, this serves two ends :

a) the tv-show hosts` ego is stroked

b) finnish low self esteem small-time (local level, like the turku ppl) politicians can try to advance their skewed view (turku on the world map omg at last etc ad nauseam)

fortune passes everywhere

Akira_Tekagi

Kula's Candy
finngamer said:
And no, it's not on in prime time like he says, but in the middle of the night.
I don't know what the American definition of prime time is, but here in Finland Late Night with Conan O'Brien usually airs around 11 o'clock in the evening.

Out of curiosity, when exactly does The Tonight Show with Jay Leno air in the US?

aria

Former Moderator
Akira_Tekagi said:
I don't know what the American definition of prime time is, but here in Finland Late Night with Conan O'Brien usually airs around 11 o'clock in the evening.

Out of curiosity, when exactly does The Tonight Show with Jay Leno air in the US?

Leno is at 11:30, Conan at 12:30 --I think. I admit I haven't watched those shows in a long time. Actually, mostly people in their 30s-50s watch Leno, younger people watch Conan (he's popular among college students).

[EDIT: I got the times off, in the time zone I'm in, Central Standard, they show all TV an hour earlier... it's the only US time zone that does that)

viaton

Neo Geo Cup '98
He he... I gotta agree with Finngamer... :lol:

He's not THAT BIG anyway over here (well, he's tall) :loco: !

But he's a very cool dude!

Please make the man a :buttrock: SAUNA MINISTER!!!!! :buttrock:

-viaton-

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Bobak said:
I really hope the American media gives this coverage (or at least THe Daily Show)..

He was on the Today show this morning joking around about the cab position "I promise if you give me the position I will keep Cheney out of the country and away from shotguns" and that he was there because he thought the olympics were there. Funny stuff.

Reiko

Mr. Big's Thug
That Finland episode that was on TV wednesday was pretty funny. Fagerström!!!!

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Yeah, I watched it, was pretty lol at times, I think some people might take offense but then they're just too uptight... he's a comedian, of-course he will seek out the strangest people he can find :loco:

The 'Fagerström' bit was piss funny!

Akira_Tekagi

Kula's Candy
I liked the part where that saamelainen was compared to Charles Bronson. He actually looked a lot like him! "I kill you, punk!" :lolz:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is that show with the 2 kids a real show? Whats the name of it?

Yes, the Fagerstromm bit was damn funny. "I know you're in there Fagerstromm!!"

soundnvision

Kula's Candy
Akira_Tekagi said:
I liked the part where that saamelainen was compared to Charles Bronson. He actually looked a lot like him! "I kill you, punk!" :lolz:

yeah that made me smile as well. as a whole the finland episode wasn't really all that great tho. i don't think it completely sucked but it felt a little lukewarm and at times just boring. maybe triumph would've spiced it up a notch, who knows.

Xian Xi said:
Is that show with the 2 kids a real show? Whats the name of it?
yeah sadly it's real: a terrible saturday night program called "huuma" (daze, or something like that). Based on a popular british one called Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway... the kids aren't really the stars in it, as far as i know. they just appear sometimes and do crappy interviews. the little i've seen it, it's been painfully shit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Bobak said:
Leno is at 11:30, Conan at 12:30 --I think. I admit I haven't watched those shows in a long time. Actually, mostly people in their 30s-50s watch Leno, younger people watch Conan (he's popular among college students).

[EDIT: I got the times off, in the time zone I'm in, Central Standard, they show all TV an hour earlier... it's the only US time zone that does that)

Leno here is 10:30 and Conan is 11:30 and I am in the US.

Reiko

Mr. Big's Thug
I think Huuma is pretty good, at least the kids are. I think their comments and questions are pretty well done.

soundnvision

Kula's Candy
Reiko said:
I think Huuma is pretty good, at least the kids are. I think their comments and questions are pretty well done.

i might have seen a bad episode then... or the show just isn't my cuppa tea

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Reiko said:

Their english was pretty good for their age.