Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Conan

  1. #1
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,149

    Conan

    Conan Protrait instead of Finish flag?

    Only kidding, anyone gonna go to vanta to see him arrive today?

    Raz
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  2. #2
    Crossed Swords Squire
    Reiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland

    Posts
    200
    No... I live too far away

    Conan tule Tampereelle!!! Josko turismikin kasvaisi Conanin myötä?

  3. #3
    Neo Geo Cup '98
    viaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Helsinki - Finland

    Posts
    162
    Nah, not gonna go but he's a very cool mediapersoona anyway!
    * Proud owner of an original NeoGeo MVS JapCab *

  4. #4
    Sakura's Bank Manager
    finngamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Finland

    Posts
    887
    I would've gone to see him, but I had to go to work. Oh well, I would've just been behind a thousand people, and seen squat.

  5. #5
    Former Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 1977
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    39,590

    Icon99

    I heard he was visiting the country, but you guys make it sound like its going to rival the return of Ayatollah Khomeni from exile

  6. #6
    Sakura's Bank Manager
    finngamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Finland

    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobak
    I heard he was visiting the country, but you guys make it sound like its going to rival the return of Ayatollah Khomeni from exile
    We do? How so?


    Most of the hype he says in the show is just talk. Late Night is broadcast in Finland on a network aimed at younger people, and it's not even available to some parts of the country. It doesn't have very good ratings in the bigger picture, though it is one of the network's most succesful shows. And no, it's not on in prime time like he says, but in the middle of the night.


    But make no mistake, his actions have captured the attention of the whole country, and his visit is on every tabloid and on the TV news, regardless of the network.

    That's what he gets, when he targets a small country like Finland. But I'm glad, naturally.

  7. #7
    Geese's Thug
    Akira_Tekagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland

    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobak
    I heard he was visiting the country, but you guys make it sound like its going to rival the return of Ayatollah Khomeni from exile
    Yes, it was a pretty large event when Conan arrived here in Finland about 8 hours ago because there were well over one thousand fans welcoming him at the Helsinki - Vantaa airport. I saw on the news that he even gave a short speech in Finnish during the press conference! He requested Tarja to give him a minister position in return for supporting her in the election. Conan's visit is going to last for 5 days. He's going to meet Tarja on tuesday and he's also going to appear on the Telvis gala (one of Finland's TV award shows) to present an award.
    Last edited by Akira_Tekagi; 02-11-2006 at 04:19 PM.
    | - eBay user ID : akira_tekagi
    | - AES serial (JPN) : #084458
    | - AES games in collection : 35
    | - Currently playing : The King of Fighters '97

  8. #8
    Former Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 1977
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    39,590
    I really hope the American media gives this coverage (or at least THe Daily Show)..

  9. #9
    Reichsf?rer-Finnland
    Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    EGO FREE ZONE

    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by finngamer
    We do? How so?


    Most of the hype he says in the show is just talk. Late Night is broadcast in Finland on a network aimed at younger people, and it's not even available to some parts of the country. It doesn't have very good ratings in the bigger picture, though it is one of the network's most succesful shows. And no, it's not on in prime time like he says, but in the middle of the night.


    But make no mistake, his actions have captured the attention of the whole country, and his visit is on every tabloid and on the TV news, regardless of the network.

    That's what he gets, when he targets a small country like Finland. But I'm glad, naturally.
    Hurrah home from da kapakka.

    My 2 cents on the conan thing.

    he did the "I look like Tarja halonen" skit while the presidential election was underway. naturally the social democrat peeps capitalized on the matter, nonwithstanding that he´s a not so well-known us talk show host whose program can be seen on a fin cable channel, publicity is publicity.

    Almost in tandem these "Conan hype" articles were published in finnish tabloids which were pro-halonen (Iltalehti) and afterwards I guess they got the idea that they should invite him here, this serves two ends :

    a) the tv-show hosts` ego is stroked

    b) finnish low self esteem small-time (local level, like the turku ppl) politicians can try to advance their skewed view (turku on the world map omg at last etc ad nauseam)

    fortune passes everywhere

  10. #10
    Geese's Thug
    Akira_Tekagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland

    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by finngamer
    And no, it's not on in prime time like he says, but in the middle of the night.
    I don't know what the American definition of prime time is, but here in Finland Late Night with Conan O'Brien usually airs around 11 o'clock in the evening.

    Out of curiosity, when exactly does The Tonight Show with Jay Leno air in the US?
    | - eBay user ID : akira_tekagi
    | - AES serial (JPN) : #084458
    | - AES games in collection : 35
    | - Currently playing : The King of Fighters '97

  11. #11
    Former Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 1977
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    39,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira_Tekagi
    I don't know what the American definition of prime time is, but here in Finland Late Night with Conan O'Brien usually airs around 11 o'clock in the evening.

    Out of curiosity, when exactly does The Tonight Show with Jay Leno air in the US?
    Leno is at 11:30, Conan at 12:30 --I think. I admit I haven't watched those shows in a long time. Actually, mostly people in their 30s-50s watch Leno, younger people watch Conan (he's popular among college students).

    [EDIT: I got the times off, in the time zone I'm in, Central Standard, they show all TV an hour earlier... it's the only US time zone that does that)

  12. #12
    Neo Geo Cup '98
    viaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Helsinki - Finland

    Posts
    162

    Icon99

    He he... I gotta agree with Finngamer...

    He's not THAT BIG anyway over here (well, he's tall) !

    But he's a very cool dude!

    Please make the man a SAUNA MINISTER!!!!!

    -viaton-
    * Proud owner of an original NeoGeo MVS JapCab *

  13. #13
    Tesse's Maintainence Man
    topher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    va beach

    Posts
    2,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobak
    I really hope the American media gives this coverage (or at least THe Daily Show)..
    He was on the Today show this morning joking around about the cab position "I promise if you give me the position I will keep Cheney out of the country and away from shotguns" and that he was there because he thought the olympics were there. Funny stuff.

  14. #14
    Crossed Swords Squire
    Reiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland

    Posts
    200
    That Finland episode that was on TV wednesday was pretty funny. Fagerström!!!!

  15. #15
    Wind Jammin' All Night"
    RockstarRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vantaa

    Posts
    644
    Yeah, I watched it, was pretty lol at times, I think some people might take offense but then they're just too uptight... he's a comedian, of-course he will seek out the strangest people he can find

    The 'Fagerström' bit was piss funny!

    You're ghostin' us, motherf***er.
    I don't care who you are back in the world.
    You give our position one more time,
    I'll bleed you, real quiet, and leave you here.
    Got that?

  16. #16
    Geese's Thug
    Akira_Tekagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland

    Posts
    276
    I liked the part where that saamelainen was compared to Charles Bronson. He actually looked a lot like him! "I kill you, punk!"
    | - eBay user ID : akira_tekagi
    | - AES serial (JPN) : #084458
    | - AES games in collection : 35
    | - Currently playing : The King of Fighters '97

  17. #17
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,450
    Is that show with the 2 kids a real show? Whats the name of it?

    Yes, the Fagerstromm bit was damn funny. "I know you're in there Fagerstromm!!"

  18. #18
    Kula's Candy
    soundnvision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    helsinki
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira_Tekagi
    I liked the part where that saamelainen was compared to Charles Bronson. He actually looked a lot like him! "I kill you, punk!"
    yeah that made me smile as well. as a whole the finland episode wasn't really all that great tho. i don't think it completely sucked but it felt a little lukewarm and at times just boring. maybe triumph would've spiced it up a notch, who knows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi
    Is that show with the 2 kids a real show? Whats the name of it?
    yeah sadly it's real: a terrible saturday night program called "huuma" (daze, or something like that). Based on a popular british one called Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway... the kids aren't really the stars in it, as far as i know. they just appear sometimes and do crappy interviews. the little i've seen it, it's been painfully shit.

  19. #19
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobak
    Leno is at 11:30, Conan at 12:30 --I think. I admit I haven't watched those shows in a long time. Actually, mostly people in their 30s-50s watch Leno, younger people watch Conan (he's popular among college students).

    [EDIT: I got the times off, in the time zone I'm in, Central Standard, they show all TV an hour earlier... it's the only US time zone that does that)
    Leno here is 10:30 and Conan is 11:30 and I am in the US.

  20. #20
    Crossed Swords Squire
    Reiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland

    Posts
    200
    I think Huuma is pretty good, at least the kids are. I think their comments and questions are pretty well done.

  21. #21
    Kula's Candy
    soundnvision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    helsinki
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiko
    I think Huuma is pretty good, at least the kids are. I think their comments and questions are pretty well done.
    i might have seen a bad episode then... or the show just isn't my cuppa tea

  22. #22
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiko
    I think Huuma is pretty good, at least the kids are. I think their comments and questions are pretty well done.
    Their english was pretty good for their age.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •