Official Neo Geo High Score Thread - Top Ranked Players Only

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I have no way of taping my gaming, BUT, HERE is an old AES score with the debug bios and HERE is a score without cheating. HUGE difference.

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
New KoF96 high score:
690500.jpg

aria

Former Moderator
Superfamifreak said:
Magical Drop 3 - Superfamifreak = SFF

md3.jpg

Any chance of getting this thread stickied?

I just want to say that I'm very impressed by these scores (as I've mentioned in the MD thread in this forum), but I wanted to add my lesser high scores because I'm proud of the consistent speed at which I go through the game:

BobakMD3.jpg

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
thanks Tak and Bobak. :)

Now, on the subject of emulators and Unibios and all that stuff. I think it's pretty clear now that a score hasn't been 100% proven these days unless it has a video to go along with it. Unfortunately, not all of us have the capability to easily record (and host) videos. Whenever an emulator gets mentioned people instantly think it's faked because of all that "speed run" bullshit. And now we can't even take scores done on a Neo-Geo to be 100% reliable because of the chance of the Unibios...

I know there's always going to be dipshits out there that'll want to increase their e-penis size by lying about videogame scores. People have been caught lying about scores ever since Twin Galaxies began tracking arcade game scores back during the "Golden Age" of arcade games in the early 80's. But... I'd like to think that the people here are better than that. We're all here because we have a love for a video-game system that is 15 years old now... I'd like to think that we're just doing this for the love of the Neo. Yeah that sounds kinda corny, but bottom line is, I don't want anyone here to be an asshole lying about scores just to piss everyone off. Let's keep this positive!

I still want to use my MAME scores though, since they DO have corresponding replay videos, but of course they can only be watched using the version of MAME they were recorded with... I'm going to have to look into if there's any easy way to encode them into avi/wmv/whatever, but even if I did there's the issue of hosting it... (Google Video, maybe?)

also, how does everyone else feel about scores done on Level-8 instead of Level-4? kernow and too_short (among others) would rather keep things at the default, which is understandable since it's probably best to keep everyone on the same level. Raising the difficulty sometimes makes it possible to get a higher maximum score, usually because of more enemies and other stuff like that. I think scores done on higher difficulties should still be accepted for now (lowering the difficulty is of course a no-no), but I'd like to know if anyone else is opposed to this.

oh yeah, and I REALLY strongly oppose scores done on more than one credit. It's true that a lot of games reset your score if a continue is used, but not all of them. I could max out the score on Metal Slug 1 through a very boring process that would involve nothing but shooting the same thing over and over until time runs out and using continues when I ran out of lives, but what fun is that? 1 credit is the norm with score trackers like Twin Galaxies and the Gamest/Arcadia magazine, so it makes sense to use the same rule here. Is there anybody else that really feels like continues should be allowed in scores?

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Well..i prefer scores to be on default MVS-Lv-4....but we'll see what everyone else thinks here...lev-8 on some neo titles is damn crazy!!....
Btw..im busy concentrating on a few titles myself to gain a 'decent' high score...& i nod my head in respect for those truly amazing scores from andy,BBH & of course TonK!...that NitD score is a killer!!...lev 3-5 is nuts...& my best is only 4,165,600....so far...

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
New Magical Drop 3 score - 510k+ and cleared in 3:30. Pic coming soon.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
BBH said:
also, how does everyone else feel about scores done on Level-8 instead of Level-4? kernow and too_short (among others) would rather keep things at the default, which is understandable since it's probably best to keep everyone on the same level. Raising the difficulty sometimes makes it possible to get a higher maximum score, usually because of more enemies and other stuff like that. I think scores done on higher difficulties should still be accepted for now (lowering the difficulty is of course a no-no), but I'd like to know if anyone else is opposed to this.

Even tho it's common to have a 'maximum difficulty' rule for fighters when playing them for score, it would be silly to adapt this rule to shmups or older Neo games where the normal diff level is challenging enough already.

Perhaps it's best to rule out custom settings in general to avoid redundant discussion. Whatever we come up with, we should make sure that the challenge is the same for all contestants, a high score table with scores achieved on different difficulty settings wouldn't make sense IMO.

So, we should play all non-fighters on default and decide on the default difficulty for fighters on a game-by-game basis.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
BBH said:
also, how does everyone else feel about scores done on Level-8 instead of Level-4? kernow and too_short (among others) would rather keep things at the default, which is understandable since it's probably best to keep everyone on the same level. Raising the difficulty sometimes makes it possible to get a higher maximum score, usually because of more enemies and other stuff like that.

exactly

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
kernow said:

Not on Vs Beat'em ups though.

By the way, I have a cool KOF98 "Another" Survivor Lv8 beat time, does it count for this thread as well ?

Since it's not a score based mode, I'm asking if I can send my input.

Gemant

Member,
Takumaji said:
a high score table with scores achieved on different difficulty settings wouldn't make sense IMO.

I agree

Level 4 and 8 or other difficult cannot be confronted.

all default settings is the key

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Atrophyed said:
Not on Vs Beat'em ups though.

By the way, I have a cool KOF98 "Another" Survivor Lv8 beat time, does it count for this thread as well ?

Since it's not a score based mode, I'm asking if I can send my input.

Hmm.... I'm not sure how I feel about including scores for modes that can't be played on an MVS cart (minus the Unibios that is).

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
BBH said:
Hmm.... I'm not sure how I feel about including scores for modes that can't be played on an MVS cart (minus the Unibios that is).

Playing for high score against the CPU in KOF98 isn't fun anymore for me.

Another Survivor mode is the only 1P mode I can get fun out of it. That game is all about 2P greatness :)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Damn, haven't seen you in like half a year man.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Giby said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/mastergiby/000_0164.jpg - Garou

I'm going to try and take the top spot in Nam once I get some free time....thats a nice score BBH has, so it may take me a while if I can actually do it.

the problem with NAM of course is that it's pretty much entirely reliant on getting all of the "extra" events between stages. It's annoying that the score relies that much on something you can't control.

I'd still like to know how that Garou score happened, seeing how none of the Arcadia scores are over 5 million. :conf:

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Honestly, I don't really know. I remember getting over 9 Miricles and one on Kain when he was in full top. When I got to Kain, I only had 1mil, then when I beat him, I got that. I remember asking Eight One if there are any scores like that in Japan, and he told me there were some that were between 5-8mil.

When you got your Nam score, did you go through all the levels including those mini stages?

LWK, I haven't been here in a while cause I got sick of this place. I'm not sure if anything has changed or not, but if things have, and for the better, I'm going to stay for a bit.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Giby said:
Honestly, I don't really know. I remember getting over 9 Miricles and one on Kain when he was in full top. When I got to Kain, I only had 1mil, then when I beat him, I got that. I remember asking Eight One if there are any scores like that in Japan, and he told me there were some that were between 5-8mil.

How odd. Wonder if there's a glitch or something...

When you got your Nam score, did you go through all the levels including those mini stages?

Yeah, pretty sure I got all four (?) mini-stages on that play. Assuming there's a 50-50 chance of getting the extra stages, you basically have a 1 in 16 chance of maximizing your score through them... lame.

Gemant

Member,
Giby said:
I remember asking Eight One if there are any scores like that in Japan, and he told me there were some that were between 5-8mil.

5-8 mil??

no, is mistake...

4,6 mil is max score for garou (all miracle I think) and medium best score is 3,9/4,0mil

Gemant

Member,
BBH said:
How odd. Wonder if there's a glitch or something...

Yeah, pretty sure I got all four (?) mini-stages on that play. Assuming there's a 50-50 chance of getting the extra stages, you basically have a 1 in 16 chance of maximizing your score through them... lame.

in nam 75 is possible perform 1.000.000 without extra stage (is possible with milking at stage 5)

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
hey gilby i dont have MOTW OG but only the rom(and ps2). the decrypted version on emu. same thing that happened to you happened to me and even my little brothers a few times. weve also gotten scores between the 6 and 12 ml. how can shit like that happen man. i was actually thinking it might be some bug of some sort. i thought i was counting an od number of numbers, like it was 1.1 mil or something, but it really was 12 ml. i couldnt understand how i got this shit.

p.s. same thing also happened with RBS if not mistaken. dont have my cdz plugged in so cant check it right now.(dont even know if the score is saved, the cd sometimes erases scores but keeps the last boss save, weird)

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
518050.jpg

Edit:

Oops, looks like I posted that pic already!

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
yeah that made me a bit confused too... ;)

anyway, jpj has emailed me a Blazing Star pic, so I resized it and may as well post it since every pic should at least be seen in this thread.

imag00218kd.jpg