'Last Hope' Central thread

Fighter123

Banned
El Capitan said:
What amazing news - this thread is responsible for me getting to work late tomorrow!

Is this totally out of the blue for everyone here (except Shawn as mentioned above)?

I would never pay the prices people are talking about, but it's great news and great drama already!

[Grabs my popcorn and watch the drama unfold.:multi_co:]

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
NG:DEV.TEAM said:
We contacted Vektorlogic, Jeff wanted to send us his NDA, he never did.

We cannot pay Vektorlogic yet to develop AES pcbs and a new cartshell. Pcbs alone yes, but the cartshell costs are >20k. After this initial release we probably could think about it. Having both MVS and AES custom pcbs and shells would be a great benefit for the community (no need for sac carts anymore).

Be very cautious when dealing with Vektorlogic, they're a shady bunch to say the least ...

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
After reading all of this, I am still ready to fork over the cash for this title! We need another awesome shooter for our AES Collections! and to have it a Limited Edition is a great idea! I cant wait to buy this game. I wish the best for you guys that are going to sell it, and hope this great looking game gets released very soon.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Fakk2 said:
After reading all of this, I am still ready to fork over the cash for this title! We need another awesome shooter for our AES Collections! and to have it a Limited Edition is a great idea! I cant wait to buy this game. I wish the best for you guys that are going to sell it, and hope this great looking game gets released very soon.

So you are willing to pay $700+ ? Not bashing you ... just curious.

Phillip

Fakk2

Its not like I'm jumping up and down screaming "Yes! Yes! Its $700 bucks! Yeah! Woo-Hoo" Im just happy I can get one for $700 instaead of them pulling a NGF and asking $1,000-$2,500 etc... on a converted game with a freaked insert...
Plusmore it LOOKS awesome! First game we get in YEARS that LOOKS NEW not just rehashed sprites... Sam Sho V Special looks as old as Sam Sho 3... Im shocked this game looks as good as it does. I cant wait man!

So to answer your question, yes I am intrested in it even with the inflated price tag.

I just hope that the game is NOT easy like Blazing Star! I do not want another NeoGeo game I can finish in one sitting, Infinite ships are a lame idea, so if the game ends up more like PULSTAR where you die and are forced to begin from the start of the stage or at a checkpoint its gonna be great.

Last edited:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
NG:DEV.TEAM said:
Of course not pixel based. But there are some nice FX in our game which are not done before on the neo.

The screens on the site are too small. Make them bigger.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Damn,

I never really thought I would see a (what seems to be) respectable "homebrew/independant" title on the neo.......But at $700 (or possibly more)!
You really should have let the cat out of the bag earlier as many buyers will need to save thier pennies on a title so steep.

You guys better include both an "old style" & snaplock sized inserts with all copies or else your game will mean alot less to collectors.

Lastly, a nice long video showing at least half the stages & bosses in the game would need to be posted to let us all know what this game is all about.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
What I want to know is, how many megs is this game going to be? For $700, this game had better be pushing the 700 Meg barrier if not beyond that. I may be willing to drop $700 on this title but it had better be worth it. I just wish I had the money a few months ago to buy Pulstar...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Makismo said:
how many megs is this game going to be? For $700, this game had better be pushing the 700 Meg barrier.
a dollar per meg? bargain! I'll take 10 (10 meg, not 10 copies of the game, I saw that, I saw you getting your hopes up. these better be good meg.).

YO-YO-Boy

Benimaru's Hairdresser
i think u should put last hope on the amotiswave. it would be cheaper & look better! :cool:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
a shallow shitty european r-type clone and the noobs are in awe

go play ikaruga or dragon blaze,damn

you all need a transfusion of good taste

only the japanese can make good video games,
is that *SO* hard to understand ?

but well,i am forgetting this is the place where hordes of fanboys want a stupid lame pc with stupid lame american games

( yes,i am talking about the x box 360 )

so it's prolly better to give up

love this kind of logic though :

"more megs = better game = badass !"

i mean,god,i stopped thinking like that when i was about 13

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Fran said:
fake shit

i wouldn't want to try it if i was given 20 $

but no wait,you want people to PAY for fake unofficial crap ?

people,the shooters on the neo are the ones made by snk / yumekobo / sammy

that's it

if you are so desperate for new good shooters there are tons coming out for the playstation 2

but that's not even the point

i am actually offended that people dare to develop stuff on my beloved neo geo

leave it the alone,please

AMEN
I thought this thread was a joke.

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
xtoo_short20x said:
AMEN
I thought this thread was a joke.

I really don;t get you 2 - Nobody is trying to pass this as an official game and noone forces you to buy any game, so why, oh why is it so bad to see someone support a console that was supposedly dead?
You get a chance to PLAY another game - is that the problem? do you only want to put games on a shelf in shrinkwrap (that's commandable to but still does not justify the hate).
There is a difference between supporting Romz (I don;t and do not have a single one) and supporting dev. teams who give you opportunities to use your old systems in new ways.
+ remember that thanks to these dev teams there is a good market today (Do you even remember the time of the Atari ST, Amiga 500 and CPC 6128 when small teams would put out demos and games?).

BTW Fran, many other people know how to make videogames, it's jsut that they don't use SD for characters and don't base half of their releases on Mangas. (I'll just mention Ubisoft for their Prince of Persia serie and Splinter Cell).

Last edited:
H

hermegildo

I haven't taken a stance in this since I'm an MVS owner and there are many levels to this situation that I won't bother to think about. A $700 price tag is way too much though and I don't know how far you'll get from asking so much.

I always felt that homebrew was something you did in your spare time or because of a particular affection of a console/handheld, not something you'd want to profit from. If it's indeed profit you're after, then the neo was the wrong place to start.

Releasing the roms would be a stupid idea also. They'd just get distributed all over the web in two days and besides, why even bother to make a neo-geo game if you're going to play it on a PC?

PS: Metroid Prime was developed in Austin, Texas.

Fakk2

I just want a new game for the good ol Neo, I aint gonna buy any Atomiswave stuff and since playmore abandoned us, I guess its up to others now to provide us new Neo-Geo games, and if the price is high , well most games on the system are high anyways.
What did you expect... for about $150 on eBay we got Diggerman, a partially made game, simplistic at best, with music taken from Gururin. Then we got Playmore stuff at $375 each, some like MS5 , partially made game, simplistic at best, with sound effects taken from all the other slugs and sound bugs left in the code, lets not forget they screwed up the first time around with the insert. Geez what the hell do you really expect after the last slap in the face with SSVS, hell rip out the cool stuff and leave it with sound bugs and shit, oh and make us send it back so they can fix it up and they gave it back not even completely fixed with fatalities still locked out. Yeah Playmore got us good. and then right after that they abandoned the NeoGeo, great...
Well this game "Last Hope" looks like its going to be a great game that might even be better than anything we have gotten from Playmore or Eolith or Mega.
Heck at $300 we got Bang Bead , a game thats actually official and its got some of the crappiest sounding music ever, and its not all that great or really all that fun, at $375 we get quality like SSVS (buggy rehashed old fighter). This game "Last Hope" may be as good as PULSTAR (wishful thinking, I know) butI'm willing to give it a chance if the graphics are really that good.. and hell, if you dont want it just download the rom when it hits the net.

I hope this game supports the Memory Card.

Robi15

20 Year Member
JMKurtz, did you know about this game and these guys allrady!?!? Shawn HAS a test rom and has not yet made a post? humm what is going on..? Shawn, comon post a short review atleast!! Anyway a HQ video of the game IS needed. 700us is is a very high price tag but then again i do belive this game is gonna sell, allthough i think it will take a while. 50 units is not soooo much. It hangs over the respect you are gonna recieve. Most of us are not gonna be able to play this game cause the hefty price and that's why most of the ppl are angry right now.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
the only real negative thing I see in all this project is how much sac carts will be used for this production.

aes games aren't cheap as ever, with so many more sac carts, some games may skyrocket to the roof right away.

i sincerely hope you don't tell us wich game was sacrified... for priceguide's sake...

Fakk2

Robi15 said:
Most of us are not gonna be able to play this game cause the hefty price and that's why most of the ppl are angry right now.

Well, honestly if they buy AES carts they shouldnt be angry or even shocked. AES carts can be VERY expensive, and with only 50 AES carts for sale, an AES owner would expect to pay an arm and a leg for it. Im pretty sure if they sell the AES carts well enough more than likely a batch of MVS carts wil be made later on down the line. Alot of people buy the MVS nowdays so it would just mean more $$ for them, even if its not as much cash as the AES, something is allways better than nothing.

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
If you're going to cater to the AES collector market, which honestly is the only group that's going to drop that kind of dough, the quality of the carts has to be uniform. You can't send out some carts in gamer's condition and others in mint - no one will take it seriously, people will get pissed, and the game will not sell. Oh, and you'll be flamed and your rep will be shit here.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Waiting for some better screenshots still, the ones on the new page are far to small and dosent really give one a real look at the gfx of the game (of if it really is Neogeo hardware running it).

Raz

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
galfordo said:
If you're going to cater to the AES collector market, which honestly is the only group that's going to drop that kind of dough, the quality of the carts has to be uniform. You can't send out some carts in gamer's condition and others in mint - no one will take it seriously, people will get pissed, and the game will not sell. Oh, and you'll be flamed and your rep will be shit here.

Agreed. For $700 it needs to have a Snap-Lock Case, not a shitty shockbox.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Three quick statements.
For all the haters? Step the fuck away from the computer, look at yourself in the mirror and think about this. Nobody has even played the game, and just because it's a homebrew you automatically think it sucks. Most of you can't even draw a stick figure, nevermind make a homebrew game for the Neo Geo with decent graphics. Funny how some of you will even stoop to the level of calling the game an R-Type "knock off" just from those pictures... I guess KOF is just a SF knock-off just because I saw a photo of Ryo throwing a fireball, right? Do us all a favor and STFU. Go be bitter someplace else.

Fran: No offense dude, HOWEVER... in one breath you're calling people "fanboys" for liking a homebrew. Then you state, "I am actually offended that people dare to develop stuff on my beloved neo geo". That's like a redneck calling his neighbor a hillbilly.

On a more positive note, the pictures look great thus far, but we really need to see some video and finally have someone like the beez do some kind of gameplay test. $700 does sound a bit steep, so if the game does turn out well I may not be purchasing this unless it comes down in price, but it would be great to see this game materialize.

Last edited:

Nguyen2

Quiz Detective
VinylBoy said:
Fran: No offense dude, HOWEVER... in one breath you're calling people "fanboys" for liking a homebrew. Then you state, "I am actually offended that people dare to develop stuff on my beloved neo geo"That's like a redneck calling his neighbor a hillbilly.QUOTE]

DAMN

Looks nice but,
let's see how well the game is when it is out.