'Last Hope' Central thread

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Price should be determined by the final product. As mentioned before, there are only 3 screenshots to go buy. We have no idea of how many levels the game is. There is no playable demo... or at least a video of the game running to give us an idea of how smooth the animation is (slowdown, power ups etc). There also seems to be mention of existing homecarts having to be sacced for this game to be brought out.

Are you saccing MINT games or are you saccing any condition cart that you can get your hands on? That makes me wonder if someone is going to end up getting a cart that was previously a loose cart with a shitload of scratches on it. What is the title (or titles) being used to sac this game (It may give us an idea of what to expect to some extent)? What are the manuals going to look like (CD Manual or the original Long Manual that came in games like SS1)? What size will the inserts be (Standard Old School Case Size, Snap Lock Size, Shock Box Size .. this would be nice to know since I have a few empty Old Style and New Style cases I could use to transfer the title to an AES case.)? Yes, I'm well aware that I can scan the original insert and re-size it and re-print it... but for what they are asking for 1 copy, I shouldnt have to do that.

Finally, I was looking forward to getting this title until I saw the price.... which is what turned alot of people off to your game. I can damn near buy a Real Bout 2 US AES for the price of your homebrew title. I am well aware that you have put alot of time and effort (as well as your own financing) into this title ... but 2X SNK home cart prices is asking too much. Original Homecarts at the end of SNKPs era was $359 ea. I think asking around $400 ea. (PI2, NITD, Strikers) sell for similar prices. I know that your game is original compared to the listed conversions but the bottom line is it is still unofficial (homebrew, conversion, bootleg). Asking anymore than this (especially without any idea of what this game entails) is beyond ridiculous.

Phillip

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Recap said:
I agree there. This is the system with the largest base of blind fanboys. Especially when it comes to shooting games. At least, this one seems to be good.

I think most DC fans agree that Border Down was the last great game to come out (others would say Ikaruga, but I beg to differ)

Trust me, most thought Trizeal and Chaos Field were absolute shit

they only bought it in hopes that it appreciates in value or encourages other companies to make a game

I don't think DC fans are THAT blind where they'll like ANYTHING that comes out for it

but at 50 bucks a game vs. 700

no one really minds taking a risk

bulletnyourass

noble trader
On a side note. A few people have mentioned something about sending the game to Shawn. I have nothing but respect for Shawn ... but considering his absence, as of late, he may not be the best person to send the game to at the moment. If Shawn has resurfaced and I am wrong .. then I apologize. However, I do agree with the fact that they need someone to market the game for them to be trusted. Who is going to be the first one to take the risk of sending someone their hard earned cash when the person selling has 0 feedback?

Phillip

Fighter123

Banned
roker said:
I think most DC fans agree that Border Down was the last great game to come out (others would say Ikaruga, but I beg to differ)

Trust me, most thought Trizeal and Chaos Field were absolute shit

they only bought it in hopes that it appreciates in value or encourages other companies to make a game

I don't think DC fans are THAT blind where they'll like ANYTHING that comes out for it

but at 50 bucks a game vs. 700

no one really minds taking a risk

In the shmups forums people did like Trizeal a lot, trust me. (Yes, I enjoy it a lot because it was not a manic shooter for once).

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Fighter17 said:
In the shmups forums people did like Trizeal a lot, trust me. (Yes, I enjoy it a lot because it was not a manic shooter for once).

I trust you

but the general impression I get from people at the DC forums is a big
icon13.gif

which I agree with

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Bulletnyourass said:
Who is going to be the first one to take the risk of sending someone their hard earned cash when the person selling has 0 feedback?

Phillip

Damn good question...Definately not me...

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
I am currently talking to the devs to see if I can get a deal to release the game in the US (in my store :D).
We are in very early talks and they have not agreed to anything yet - we just exchanged our names...

I don't know if it would reassure people but if it does, feel free to show some support ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'd pay for a CD version...

Talk to Jeff Kurtz if you're interested in making that CD instead. He's very keen on that subject.

Pluse production would be cheap.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Howdoin said:
I am currently talking to the devs to see if I can get a deal to release the game in the US (in my store :D).
We are in very early talks and they have not agreed to anything yet - we just exchanged our names...

I don't know if it would reassure people but if it does, feel free to show some support ;)

Howdoin,

If you were handling the sales end of this I would definitely be on board .... but the price is still a factor that has to be reckoned with.

Phillip

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Well, it's a safe assumption that these guys will be saccing AES games to make their carts; hence, they will be using SNK boards for a commercial release. I say go with MVS because the audience is bigger and there is already a company out there that has the production capability without saccing official boards, plus they can offer a distribution channel AND some product security. Since Vektorlogic is not set up for AES, MVS would be cheaper and quicker to market. For Vektorlogic to do AES, they would need to design the AES compatible boards (if they haven't already), plus they would need to cast a cart casing and box, which isn't cheap either.

As for SNK going after people -- I know a couple homebrew developers that left the scene because SNK DID go after them and put their excellent homebrew talents on the Neo to a halt. I'm not sure they would bother now, but if you're trying to start a legit business, don't start by going down the that path.

Jeff

16-bit said:
Do you think SNK would care less if it is an AES rather than an MVS release?

Also, what was SNK's position on Diggerman? Last Hope is not a take on any former SNK propertery (ex. Blazing Star II), so they might not care.

Fighter123

Banned
Howdoin said:

What, Last Hope?

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
JMKurtz said:
I know a couple homebrew developers that left the scene because SNK DID go after them and put their excellent homebrew talents on the Neo to a halt.

That's a damn shame. :oh_no:

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
The official Last Hope website is open now lasthope.ngdevteam.com.

On Saturday we will release a movie with original music and gameplay footage.

Business plans:

Yes, we have to consider our strategy and pricing new. I hope it's not too late to do that, as damage seems already to be done. We now consider the release in early 1Q 2006.

It would be nice if we could get feedback from NEO GEO/Shmup collectors. Who are the main target for *this* release (you can send a mail to info@ngdevteam.com).

I have read many recommendation now, you can bet we thought through this things too. But most of them don't work for several reasons.

I don't want to go here much into details:

We contacted SNKP, they didn't even bother to answer.

We contacted Shawn, he have had an early prototype in his hand and has beta tested it back in 2004. He definitely was impressed by the game and wanted to help us. But it never worked out.
Does someone in the forums have steadily contact with him? Its not easy to get him answer your mails. Maybe people should show him interest in this release.

We contacted Vektorlogic, Jeff wanted to send us his NDA, he never did.

We cannot pay Vektorlogic yet to develop AES pcbs and a new cartshell. Pcbs alone yes, but the cartshell costs are >20k. After this initial release we probably could think about it. Having both MVS and AES custom pcbs and shells would be a great benefit for the community (no need for sac carts anymore).

Carts:

Of course they are in very good/new condition.

Paperworks:

- Offset printed shock box size insert/if nessesary we can do a new style insert too.
- Offset printed CD-booklet manual with baggy.
- Digital printed and factory cutted sticker

We are definitly looking for trustworthy selling partners in the US.

And there will be of course a public review on onleast one NEO GEO related site/maybe on shmups.com too.

Fighter123

Banned
NG:DEV.TEAM said:
The official Last Hope website is open now lasthope.ngdevteam.com.

On Saturday we will release a movie with original music and gameplay footage.

Business plans:

Yes, we have to consider our strategy and pricing new. I hope it's not too late to do that, as damage seems already to be done. We now consider the release in early 1Q 2006.

It would be nice if we could get feedback from NEO GEO/Shmup collectors. Who are the main target for *this* release (you can send a mail to info@ngdevteam.com).

I have read many recommendation now, you can bet we thought through this things too. But most of them don't work for several reasons.

I don't want to go here much into details:

We contacted SNKP, they didn't even bother to answer.

We contacted Shawn, he have had an early prototype in his hand and has beta tested it back in 2004. He definitely was impressed by the game and wanted to help us. But it never worked out.
Does someone in the forums have steadily contact with him? Its not easy to get him answer your mails. Maybe people should show him interest in this release.

We contacted Vektorlogic, Jeff wanted to send us his NDA, he never did.

We cannot pay Vektorlogic yet to develop AES pcbs and a new cartshell. Pcbs alone yes, but the cartshell costs are >20k. After this initial release we probably could think about it. Having both MVS and AES custom pcbs and shells would be a great benefit for the community (no need for sac carts anymore).

Carts:

Of course they are in very good/new condition.

Paperworks:

- Offset printed shock box size insert/if nessesary we can do a new style insert too.
- Offset printed CD-booklet manual with baggy.
- Digital printed and factory cutted sticker

We are definitly looking for trustworthy selling partners in the US.

And there will be of course a public review on onleast one NEO GEO related site/maybe on shmups.com too.

They won't be a review until the price lowers! Everybody at the shmup forums are saying the same thing: LOWER THE PRICE!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Fighter17 said:
They won't be a review until the price lowers! Everybody at the shmup forums are saying the same thing: LOWER THE PRICE!

you know.. you could chill for 5 minutes and let things unravel by themselves? I think he's taken this 'demand' into consideration by now. you could always email him about it.

Recap

Zero's Secretary
NG Dev Team said:
Realtime lighting and transparency FX

Huh?

Roker said:
Funny to read that just after the recent Radirgy announcement.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Like I said before..... I am definitely interested in obtaining a copy if the price is right. I do not expect you guys to be giving the game away .. but there needs to be some kind of middle ground. $700 is far too steep for us consumers and $200 is not worth your time and effort let alone to make any kind of profit. Also, if this turns out positive, I would definitelt purchase future titles from you guys.

Phillip

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Recap said:
Funny to read that just after the recent Radirgy announcement.

just wait until the excitement dies down after the game is released

it'll be a different tune if it's a horrible game

Fighter123

Banned
DevilRedeemed said:
you know.. you could chill for 5 minutes and let things unravel by themselves? I think he's taken this 'demand' into consideration by now. you could always email him about it.

If you go the shmup fourms, there are not many post about the topic (wait for a couple of days). You know, Last Hope reminds me of that ultra cool Atari Jaguar shooter (which I don't even know if it ever had a release), Native (or something like that). I was tick that they wasn't going to have a DC port of the game because my god the graphics were great. Native looks like R-Type, and Last Hope looks like R-Type as well (go to the gamepage, and look at the SHIP! It looks a lot like the R9!). :cool:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
What amazing news - this thread is responsible for me getting to work late tomorrow!

Is this totally out of the blue for everyone here (except Shawn as mentioned above)?

I would never pay the prices people are talking about, but it's great news and great drama already!