'Last Hope' Central thread

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
To put things into perspective price-wise, Vectorlogic are selling their Super Bubble Pop MVS kits at £125.00 (approximately $218.92) each. Granted, it's "only" a port, not an original production, but still ... $700 is just too steep of a price any way you slice it. :oh_no:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Recap said:
MVS is a system to make profit of. If this game is released for the arcade market, I'm pretty sure SNK-P will sue them. Not that selling an AES game without SNK-P's rights is legit, but still.

SNK Playmore has no time or money to sue small-time indie producers for making original content for the AES or MVS systems. They no longer support the platform or care. They can't keep up with the bootleggers, let alone homebrewers. No way in hell they'd ever sue.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
SNK Playmore has no time or money to sue small-time indie producers for making original content for the AES or MVS systems. They no longer support the platform or care. They can't keep up with the bootleggers, let alone homebrewers. No way in hell they'd ever sue.

so true. the amount of weird KOF hacks and bootlegs today is much greater than it was some years ago. Playmore has jumped ship.

edit: to the makers of the game: it's really important that you navigate this situation here with expert reflexes, because the prestige of your whole enterprise hinges on it. put some serious thought into production and pricing. if you must go back to the drawing board - do so. there is no need what so ever to use authentic SNK parts since this game is not an authentic SNK product. I can't for the life of me understand the thinking behind this, it'll only get some people riled up. sacrificing carts is a sinister business much of the time. if there's a way to go around this, go for it.
don't make these huge mistakes while you are taking your first baby steps, as you'll miss a very good opportunity here. it's so important you play your hand right and not throw all your hard work down the toilet.

Last edited:

Recap

Zero's Secretary
DevilRedeemed said:
so true. the amount of weird KOF hacks and bootlegs today is much greater than it was some years ago. Playmore has jumped ship.
Maybe. However, while they couldn't sue bootleggers since they have no identity, the team behind Last Hope seems to be pretty accessible.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Code it for NGCD & DreamCast.
Charge $40 - $50 for each one & you have A winner.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Recap said:
Maybe. However, while they couldn't sue bootleggers since they have no identity, the team behind Last Hope seems to be pretty accessible.

Well, Jeff Ferrier didn't get sued either, unless I've missed something ... either way that fag is still doing business.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
NG:DEV.TEAM said:
So we knew it would be hard after the price tag is known.

There will be only 30-40 pieces, producing more would be to expensive/risky and would take to much time todo so. Parts resources are limited too.

You should have looked to either Vektorlogic Ltd or even !Arcade! for parts (although I think !Arcade! has pretty much left the scene, even the www.neogeousa.com doesn't come up anymore).

They might have been able to provide what you need and kept the cart price more "realistic".

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
HellioN said:

This would earn my business. I'm not going to pay retarded sums for video games.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Yeah, you should really contact Vektorlogic. They have created their own MVS boards, cart casings, etc. You could probably get your cart to the masses rapidly through them as they already have everything in place.

The thing with using SNK boards is that all it will take is one little letter from SNK and it will put a grinding halt on their distribution plan. Sure, they could cast the letter aside and ignore SNK, but even the slightest court filings could mount up and put a strain on an inde development team.

The key here is that in order to make a commerical release, you can not use SNK proprietary parts (their boards and casings). You mush have your own. Check into the Atari -vs- Nintendo suit. Vektorlogic can release games because they developed their own boards, casings, and packaging, PLUS, their MVS boards offer a form of copy protection, so you would thwart some of these ROMZ talkers.

Jeff

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
HellioN said:
Even $80-$100 would be passable for NGCD, IMO ... especially considering that's what the NGCD rares are going for anyway. I mean, when was the last time you saw Twinkle Star Sprites go for under $80?

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
JMKurtz said:
Yeah, you should really contact Vektorlogic. They have created their own MVS boards, cart casings, etc. You could probably get your cart to the masses rapidly through them as they already have everything in place.

The thing with using SNK boards is that all it will take is one little letter from SNK and it will put a grinding halt on their distribution plan. Sure, they could cast the letter aside and ignore SNK, but even the slightest court filings could mount up and put a strain on an inde development team.

The key here is that in order to make a commerical release, you can not use SNK proprietary parts (their boards and casings). You mush have your own. Check into the Atari -vs- Nintendo suit. Vektorlogic can release games because they developed their own boards, casings, and packaging, PLUS, their MVS boards offer a form of copy protection, so you would thwart some of these ROMZ talkers.

Jeff

Do you think SNK would care less if it is an AES rather than an MVS release?

Also, what was SNK's position on Diggerman? Last Hope is not a take on any former SNK propertery (ex. Blazing Star II), so they might not care.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
Man, this game looks nice, but i'm with everyone else here. For a new AES title, I wouldn't mind paying about $200 if it looked, sounded, and played nice.
But $700 based off of three screenshots? I think the negative hype you've already built up will kill any hopes of selling even your limited run.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
16-bit said:
Do you think SNK would care less if it is an AES rather than an MVS release?

Also, what was SNK's position on Diggerman? Last Hope is not a take on any former SNK propertery (ex. Blazing Star II), so they might not care.

that's beside the point. Jeff is 100% right. they should do things right. proffessionally. would keep costs low, prices might become more competitive and they'd have a complete and secure product to put out on the market.
and go MVS. that's the market which interests more than just collectors.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
When...the title is finished (prior to distribution)...a copy should be submitted to a reputable site..i.e. here...then a complete review & quality test should be made...after all....they have just advertised the game here...so shawn & the team should be the first to playtest it & let us all know...thats fair.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
NEO GOLD said:
so shawn & the team should be the first to playtest it

We'd be better off if someone from shmups.com playtests it first, either them or somebody from triggerzone.de (the developers are germans after all). Anyways, that's not for us to decide ...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Greywolf said:
We'd be better off if someone from shmups.com playtests it first, either them or somebody from triggerzone.de (the developers are germans after all). Anyways, that's not for us to decide ...

2 scoops of truth.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Everybody's right ... AT $700, this will go nowhere. $150-200 is more realistic.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You'd have to be decadent fool to pay 700 for that.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Rade Kuruc said:
You'd have to be decadent fool to pay 700 for that.

Neo scene has [read: had] its fair share...nowadays? not so much.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Neo scene has [read: had] its fair share...nowadays? not so much.

Yes, this company may have missed the boat. I wonder if that is the impression they have of most of us: That we wll buy anything because its on Neo...

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
Well done lads, looks like some amazing work and I'm sure you've busted your balls coding this but $700, sheesh that is WAY too much for an unofficial release.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Looks very nice. I am willing to pay $500 for the game. I think that it should be sold through the Neo Store. People trust Shawn and if Shawn is willing to put up some of the backing for this title then I think more people would be willing to pay big bucks for it. As it stands, we really don't know who you are and if you are just going to run off with our money. Nothing personal but I think that you need to develop some kind of relationship with the community and with Shawn before we will trust you with that kind of money.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
A lot of you guys need to strip yourselves from using titles... "unofficial"... etc.

A good game is a good game.

His price fits his production run. After that he can publish the game via cheaper means. It wouldn't be wise of him to do it in reverse order. He's not a moron - I don't think.

He wants to sell <40 games for 700$. People laugh.

OlderGames wanted to sell 1 game for 10$. People laugh.

We can all piss off.