'Last Hope' Central thread

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I wonder how much of a discount you get if you just want the PCBs? I can get a near mint shell on my own and print the insert as well.

NGCD (OST)?

Does that mean they made a NGCD port or a soundtrack that can only play on the NGCD?

aria

Former Moderator
Well, now I'll ask the inevitable question:

Will people end up pooling their money to make a purchase/dump of the game?

It would be a "community copy", one that would please all the people who wouldn't get the game --but still allow the truly bonkers collectors to get their copies.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Bobak said:

It would be a "community copy", one that would please all the people who wouldn't get the game --but still allow the truly bonkers collectors to get their copies.

I think that's about as tasteless at you claim their release is.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
I'm sorry, I really didn't follow this thread ... but

If I was still into AES collecting, I'd actually buy this.
The god damned insert design is amazing.
I mean ... really, really amazing.
REALLY captured the era well.

Man, not only that ... the music is really decent as well ...
Visuals look alright, I just wonder how well the 'shooter situations' are set up ... it takes a talented person, and a fan of shooters in general, to plot out a great level.
I wonder if these guys were up to it ????

I just watched the video --- and despite the clearly broken game, whose problems I'm attributing to an early build or debug mode --- this shit is really, really amazing.

aria

Former Moderator
ForeverSublime said:
I think that's about as tasteless at you claim their release is.

What's tasteless? There's only a handful of copies period.

C'mon now, you've followed this thread. They've rejected every opportunity to make this more of a mass-released title so that they can max profits off of a few wealthy collectors. While that's their business, I still think it doesn't address the rest of the community who might be interested. Like Ghost Lop, I think it would be beneficial for people to pool, buy a copy at their chosen price, then have something in the Community.

You wanna know what tasteless would be? Dion and ChrisR coming out of the woodwork to buy all the copies and then resell them at a mark-up. That would be tasteless.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
I wonder how you can build up the nerve to sell a game for $550 with no Snaplock case and a Near Mint Cart. I know that those KOF 2001s (If that is what they used) had Snap lock cases. :oh_no:

Phillip

Last edited:

Sapphire

World Soccer '96
Will there be a test of the game?! It looks good on the videos, but as you know there is also a thing called "gameplay"....

And the Price:eek: :eek: 600Euro / 460 Euro is extrem heavy

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
What's tasteless? There's only a handful of copies period.

C'mon now, you've followed this thread. They've rejected every opportunity to make this more of a mass-released title so that they can max profits off of a few wealthy collectors. While that's their business, I still think it doesn't address the rest of the community who might be interested. Like Ghost Lop, I think it would be beneficial for people to pool, buy a copy at their chosen price, then have something in the Community.

You wanna know what tasteless would be? Dion and ChrisR coming out of the woodwork to buy all the copies and then resell them at a mark-up. That would be tasteless.

Not everything is made for everyone.

You've seen they've made it clear this isn't about rubbing everyone's belly. They wanted to make a game for a system they love. Their dream wasn't to sell 10,000 units... or even the 40 copies they produced. Their dream was to make a game for a system they love. None of us have to buy the game for them to satisfy their dream.

I believe I made the statement earlier as well... for those guys who would willingly buy the game for the "mass produced" price: How many of you will DONATE that amount to NGdev team when you burn the rom for free instead? Everyone who wanted to buy the game on a more cost effective platform needs to put their money where their mouth is when they burn the ROM, or else they need to stop posting in this thread.

aria

Former Moderator
ForeverSublime said:
Not everything is made for everyone.

You've seen they've made it clear this isn't about rubbing everyone's belly. They wanted to make a game for a system they love. Their dream wasn't to sell 10,000 units... or even the 40 copies they produced. Their dream was to make a game for a system they love. None of us have to buy the game for them to satisfy their dream.

I believe I made the statement earlier as well... for those guys who would willingly buy the game for the "mass produced" price: How many of you will DONATE that amount to NGdev team when you burn the rom for free instead? Everyone who wanted to buy the game on a more cost effective platform needs to put their money where their mouth is when they burn the ROM, or else they need to stop posting in this thread.

Hey, I'm not saying "let's ruin their little 40-copy escapade", in fact I'm certain they'll find the buyers they're looking for with that many copies and that price --after all, they seem so confident about it. Let them rub whoever they want.

The interest in the game is there, however. When the interest/demand outstrips the mode of production, people look for answers. The result is inevitable, or should be IMO.

If they wanted total control over their dream, they shouldn't enter it into the stream of commerce. They've clearly noted throughout the thread that they're going the few-expensive copies route because they're expecting a dump. Frankly, at the price they're asking, I think it's almost demanding one.

I'd much rather have a hard copy in my hands, but I've never paid more than retail for any previous Neo Geo release (if it goes too high, I go MVS) --but this "retail" is ridiculous and spurs people to different routes --although, honestly, since I'm not a shooter person, I wouldn't be too interested in this game. It's just as an advocate for the concept of a greater Neo Community that I make these comments.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Hey, I'm not saying "let's ruin their little 40-copy escapade", in fact I'm certain they'll find the buyers they're looking for with that many copies and that price --after all, they seem so confident about it. Let them rub whoever they want.

The interest in the game is there, however. When the interest/demand outstrips the mode of production, people look for answers. The result is inevitable, or should be IMO.

If they wanted total control over their dream, they shouldn't enter it into the stream of commerce. They've clearly noted throughout the thread that they're going the few-expensive copies route because they're expecting a dump. Frankly, at the price they're asking, I think it's almost demanding one.

I'd much rather have a hard copy in my hands, but I've never paid more than retail for any previous Neo Geo release (if it goes too high, I go MVS) --but this "retail" is ridiculous and spurs people to different routes --although, honestly, since I'm not a shooter person, I wouldn't be too interested in this game. It's just as an advocate for the concept of a greater Neo Community that I make these comments.

I can respect that. Still, I think if you're going to toss around the idea of pooling together for a rom dump... toss around the idea of "make your donation or leave the community". Otherwise, none of those people are doing anything to make the community "greater".

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i was actually considering it for a minute.
until i saw shipping prices.
wtf.
that would put close to a thou.
why doesn't shawn order an allocation of them and distribute?

aria

Former Moderator
ForeverSublime said:
I can respect that. Still, I think if you're going to toss around the idea of pooling together for a rom dump... toss around the idea of "make your donation or leave the community". Otherwise, none of those people are doing anything to make the community "greater".

I'm a little confused by what you mean (I admit I'm a pretty tired reading this), but I think I get the gist.

My position on this is actually a reverse of my previously held opinion of previous dumps. Usually, the dumps bothered me because, mainly, they were harming the mother-company and the overall industry.

However, times have changed. SNK has nothing to really do with the Neo anymore. Nothing is harming SNK. Now were faced with a situation where there's a developer with a price system that was designed to take the dump's inevitability into account. The collectors are out there, and they'll pay the exhorbirant price

But let me step back and put this into a broader context: we've hit the point where any new game for the Neo is going to come from one of two channels, protos and homebrews/stuff-like-this. The prior is much more complicated, but forms my opinion on how to handle any new situations.

I currently am persuaded by the view that protos are inevitably going to be very expensive. However, I also think having the chance to play these protos is a very positive aspect in our community. Realistically, this means a dump. I've learned that communities like the Atari community create pools of contributions so that a trusted person in said community can go forward and snap-up any such protos as soon as they appear on the market. I don't think we need (or could produce) such a ready "emergency fund" in our community, but I do think there are people willing to move quickly to donate to a purchase if something truly amazing like a bonafide proto surfaces somewhere. In a perfect world, such a game would be purchased with community funds, dumped by a competent source, and as a carrot, those monetary donors would get the dump at a fixed amount of time before the general release.

I take this same position and apply it to the situation with this cart. It's just too rare an object to treat any other way. Granted, there will be many people who would not contribute. However, my interest is in building interest for the Neo that will continue on.

I, myself, am curious to see all that's offered for our system. At the same time, I don't believe in hording secrets. If there's any trivia or info about the Neo that I know, I consider it community property and will try to share it (the guiding principle behind the Neo Glossary, the reviews I wrote, and my contributions to things like Wikipedia). While the free-flow of ideas is great, that alone won't help people here. I think the greater good is to share this game with everyone.

Man, I'm sleepy. Need sleep now.

Cynn

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Originally Posted by soapy_jack23
You should really get ahold of the guy's at MS. Try going the xbox live arcade route.
They are currently looking for dev's. Contact them at arcade@microsoft.com if you are interested. It's perfect for you considering a large user base and a pay per download type service. Instead of making 15,000 you could be looking at making 100,000+

This is an EXCELLENT idea. Consider this very seriously guys.

crazycanuck

Crossed Swords Squire
Bobak said:
My opinion now?

BOYCOTT NG:DEV.TEAM

Onward, fanboys, onward.

Yeah, this is a joke, 2 versions for the game... DHL Express = 85 EUR !!!

Any of the buyer, please announce you on this thread, I'm curious how many will buy it at this price...

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Xian Xi said:
NGCD (OST)?

Does that mean they made a NGCD port or a soundtrack that can only play on the NGCD?
I guess they changed that since you saw it. Now it says NGCD (Game/OST). Hopefully, that means they've made some progress on the CD port (which would be the only way I'd buy it).

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm with Bobak on this one. This all seems like a cruel joke on NG Dev's part. I don't really understand. They appeared to want to know what everyone thought....then did the opposite.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Murray said:
I guess they changed that since you saw it. Now it says NGCD (Game/OST). Hopefully, that means they've made some progress on the CD port (which would be the only way I'd buy it).

They should sell it in NGCD format if they have it, they would make alot more money probably. I'd buy one but judging from the prices they might want like $100 for a CD.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
Too much money for a fake game.

We'll, it's not really a fake game. The game does in fact exist; it's just that it's a homebrew title. And that's the problem: no "homebrew" title, no matter how good, should be that expensive.

Period.

I have no idea what they thought their price point was going to be, and from their first post it seems like they didn't have any idea either.

If that's the case, then they just have a poor business model.

As someone who has picked up a nice cache of "homebrew" titles for other systems (Vectrex, Atari 5200, ColecoVision) I can say that I've never seen something come out that was so much more than what an "original" OEM game would have been.

Even with the Neo's price point history on its carts: $715.02 is just too much. I don't even think !Arcades! MVS to AES conversions ever came close to that kind of price tag.

Now, they (NG DEV TEAM) could argue (and they have in this thread) that there are "game development costs" etc. etc. involved with this that add to the cost of the game, but in my opinion it still doesn't justify that cost for what really amounts to a couple of people programming a homebrew title.

Most homebrew authors barely break even on what they release, more interested in just getting the game they made affordable and out there to the masses. They’re not out there to make a buck off their title, and usually don't (maybe break even on the cart manufacturing costs, if that).

And if that's not the case with NG DEV TEAM, that they are trying to be taken as a "serious" aftermarked/3rd party gaming company for the Neo, well then their business model just plain sucks, as who in their right mind is going to shell out $715.02 for this game?

Not the way to break into the gaming business guys, sorry.

Last edited:

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
thats alot of dough

Way too much for a homebrew, and way too much for a game that hasn't even been played yet. Is it going to be "legendary" like some of the shmups we all love? Doubt it.

Also, for the price of this game you could buy all the hardware necessary for both Do Donpachi ($250ish USD) AND Radiant Silvergun ($350ish USD), and have a few $ left for a pepsi. :)

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Bobak said:

So we'd all get to take part in a communal dump?