'Last Hope' Central thread

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Just downloaded the video.

My god... some of you are completely insane.

The game has some nice grafx and fx, but we aren't in 93-94 anymore...
That thing looks like an enhanced Amiga 1200 version of Project-X.

Last Resort is a Godgift compared to this.

Anyway, I really apreciate the effort the neodev team is putting on this, but there's absolutelly no fucking way that game could be worth over 5 times a $100 dollar bill.

Burn it to CD and sell it cheap. It'll sell a ton. same goes to the DC option.

Ruining AES carts for homebrew gaming at this pricetag is totally out of hand.

Bottom line : Project X on the Neo Geo. ( eh.. I'm an Amiga fan afterall... ) :chimp:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I agree with Raz's suggestions. I would take them to heart...after all its Razoola

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Looks good,, Id say to realease the 30-40 AES carts @ current price(for collectors probalby), then release it for the Dreamcast. Forget about the NeoCD, and just do the DC. my 3 cents

JS

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Yeah, it looks pretty good. I love r type, so I'm not complaining, To bad the cd isnt a option anymore.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
From looking at the video more closely this time, I think that the game isn't more than 100 megs. Seriously, Captain Tomaday is 122 megs and I think that it looks better. I am all for this game being released but it needs some serious graphic overhall to it. As it stands, this game can't compete with Blazing Star, Prehistoric Isle 2, or Strikers 1945 Plus in the graphics department. It looks like it will play well but for $550, it had better look the part or it will sink like the Titanic. I think they are on the right track here but it really doesn't look any better than Zed Blade or Last Resort at this point. That is all for now.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I like the overall look and direction of this one, but the depth and complexity of its gameplay will be the things that ultimately determine its worth. Also, I'd like to get a peek at a boss or two, as they have always been one of my favorite parts of shooters.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Wow...that game looks pretty sweet. I might be interested to but depends on price of course. It's always nice to have another shooter on the Neo.

Where is that Frog game for the Neo Geo CD? Any updates on that and is it released yet?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Insaneclown said:
Where is that Frog game for the Neo Geo CD? Any updates on that and is it released yet?

That's probably the most shameful thing I have ever seen for a neo homebrew. :oh_no:

Robi15

20 Year Member
Cyprien said:
I hope the futur of the neo-geo won't be represented by a couple of 700$ homebrew bought by a bunch of naive dickheads like you. Just let the neo-geo rest in peace, and stop spoiling it like that. The futur of snk is in the atomiswave, and on the new-generation consoles, and it not that bad imo. :chimp:

I have nothing against hombrew as long as it's not a rip-off like this. That's all.

go back where you crawled out from..idiot.. atomiswave is dead aswell..

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Robi15 said:

A man with some sense! You are my new best friend.

Seriously, the is perhaps the first big effort to release a new Neo Geo game on our system. I think the title has promise but it does need a little work first. If the rough edges are worked out, I will put down $550 for it for sure!

I'm really looking forward to playing this game, it looks great and fun to play. Reminds me a bit of Blazing Star.

Cyprien

n00b
Robi15 said:

Lol, why do you need to insult me for that, can't you guys just have a normal conversation without bad words at every sentence... Anyway, i don't think this system is already dead, and if it is, a new one will come... Let the neo-geo die in peace, seriously.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
jsiucho said:
Forget about the NeoCD, and just do the DC. my 3 cents
Die. And I mean that in the best way possible. :loco:

Really, though, as much as I'd like to see it on the NGCD (for accuracy reasons), buying a DC and the DC port would still (probably) be cheaper than the $550 cart version.

aria

Former Moderator
Wow, this thread certainly exploded after a week or so.

Lots of good ideas thrown around. I enjoyed reading JM_Kurtz, Shawn, Vektorlogic and many other very thoughtful and useful posts by members with postcounts ranging from 1 to several thousand.

I'd like to see this game have success. I hope that lower price helps, but I would still encourage lowering the price and trying to make up the profit in volume (I think Shawn could help if the legal stuff is cleared up, which I think is worth checking out --especially if this team plans to do further releases).

Because the system is no longer being supported my SNKP, they may be willing to agree not to sue you so long as you don't infringe their already existing copyrights/TM and/or include a disclaimer saying that it isn't official (and that may be the best thing you could get out of them). Of course, they could be outrageous and demand licensing fees. Who knows... I would like to think they have something in their hearts for the old lady that is the Neo Geo and her many followers.

Vektorlogic Ltd said:
As far as the legal standpoint is concerned -I haven't had any problems with SNKP or anyone else for that matter. I offered the security system to SNK many years ago in Osaka when we agreed to do the PC versions of 8 MVS games that were released in Korea and they wouldn't even consider it, because it wasn't in-house.

LOL... I hate NIH syndrom --but I'm in no way surprised that SNKP, a Japanese company, would have that issue.

Of course, that wouldn't preclude Vektorlogic and this new team from working together.

Vektorlogic Ltd said:
The MVS projects that I had were delayed significantly as I knew I had to go down the 100% original route, and yes plastic design, tooling, PCBs, surface mount & wave flow equipment, & programming equipment for the devices all adds up, and I have no shame in admitting that it almost finished me off financially, but it was a huge learning experience along the way and something that I had always wanted to do. You can release on MVS for coin op without any fear of retribution if you are 100% original - same goes for AES and I would be happy to assist if I can. Essentially, if you use any proprietary SNK code or products, you open yourself up to legal action - simple as that. If you don't use their stuff, you can do it - the basis for protection on your part is that the databus pinout is not copyrighted by SNK(P) etc, (Motorola own the 68k and I think it was Zilog with the Z80 etc etc) and as legal precedence has shown, several big boys have tried to stop 3rd party developers from releasing self produced carts for their systems, only to lose in court and pay costs etc. Oh and there are ways to avoid using any of their bits and pieces, with a little lateral thinking and some clever engineering solution

This sounds about right. While I'm a lawyer in the states (MN, specifically), I make no claim to have a comfortable level of expertise in the finer points of producing games for the international market and the copyright-violation issues it might involve (although I could probably learn real fast). I'm saying this because I don't want to eventually be held responsible by anyone here for handing out faulty "legal advice" (this happens to lawyers a lot). What I do want to say is that, from my academic knowledge of copyright law and assumptions about the legal practicalities of the subject, this would probably be a safe route to go (though not as safe as my suggestion above... however my initial suggestion would also potentially put a red flag on everything). I like Jeff's strategy of getting things to market from both a legal and business perspective.

Good luck with all of this. Please keep us posted.

My final word of advice: you're showing wisdom in taking your time to feel out the market and get feedback, so don't rush things. If I were in your shoes I would take the time to investigate some of the options that have presented themselves in this thread and not do a bull-rush into a strategy you may have intented all along. I think you guys have the potential to start something very nice for yourselves and the Neo Community --a "win-win", don't fumble the opportunity ;)

[EDIT: and to everyone reading, please keep the flames to a minimum. I will start enforcing actions to keep this thread on topic. I would've earlier had I not been out of town]

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Keep in mind these guys might not be doing this for $$$... they could be fulfilling a life-long dream of creating a game for a system they grew up with and loved.

They will sell the amount they intend, but if they announced a much cheaper alternative off the bat then they would have a much harder time fulfilling that quota.

Having this small run first, as I said before, is the logical way of doing things. This lets them get a solid playtest run out there and they can fix/change anything they need to for a full fledged CD/MVS/ROM/etc release, in which they will be selling many, many, more units.

PS Bobak - I was in the middle of editing my post when you deleted it. ;) I was just trying to be helpful. :smirk: Double edit: In case it was misinterpreted, I was saying "if he had not called people 'naive dickheads' on page 10 then the other guy wouldn't have called him an 'idiot'". Thus concludes the playground drama.

Last edited:

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
ForeverSublime said:
PS Bobak - I was in the middle of editing my post when you deleted it. ;)

Well, at least some of us got to read it due to the email notification. ;)

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
So good news first:

We are now in good contact with Vektorlogic, swapping NDAs at his moment... :)

Razoola said:
2) At around 1.30 into the video one of the snakes enters into the sand ground. The problem is the ground is moving at a different speed to the snake entering it making it look weird. You either need to make the snake scroll the same speed as the ground, don't make the snake enter the ground (make it go off the left of the screen) or remove the ground GFX while the snake is going off the bottom of the screen.

The video is recorded @ 30fps, the games itselves runs @ 60. As we used 30hz flicker transparency, most frames of the masking sand fx animation are missing in the video.

Razoola said:
And finally some suggestions...

2) You could add raster effects easily to gfx under the water to give it a slow warping effect.

Water warping fx is already used, but is not visible due mpeg encoding.

Razoola said:
Also if the one thing stopping you doing the MVS version is Bios related and compatability then maybe I can help you there with my bios knowledge.

Raz

Thanks for professional critics and your offer helping us.
Vektorlogic will help us out now with MVS/legal issues. But I will contact you too soon.

ForeverSublime said:
Keep in mind these guys might not be doing this for $$$... they could be fulfilling a life-long dream of creating a game for a system they grew up with and loved.

Now someone understands us :)

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Well, I'll echo everyone else's comments that it's great to see people making homebrew for the NG, but I wouldn't buy Ketsui for $600-700, much less this. I still don't see why the devs are unwilling to increase quantity and decrease price. Unless they're including some amazing copy protection, this thing is getting dumped within 15 minutes of receipt. I think a lot of people here would be willing to put down $150-300 for a quality product.

Just watched the video. I'm impressed, all things considered. Good use of parallax, in fact more layers than most NG games out there. Nice background animation on the flames, and sprite animation as well.

Good job overall, hope it all works out for you. Of course, cost is the big problem. Work on your BOM (bill of material) costs and where you source your EPROMs. Not sure where you are getting memory from, but I hope you are attempting surface mount, as its easier to work with, probably cheaper due to more EPROMS being available in SMT packages (unless of course your EPROMS are legacy) then you may be best off with plastic DIP. Ceramic DIPs of course as you may know are the most expensive.

BOM costs, Costs to goods shipped, and overhead... it could all help or kill a product. :cool:

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
NG:DEV.TEAM said:
Vektorlogic will help us out now with MVS/legal issues.

:buttrock:

Excellent, hoping for an MVS release!

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Ely13 said:
Well, I'll echo everyone else's comments that it's great to see people making homebrew for the NG, but I wouldn't buy Ketsui for $600-700, much less this. I still don't see why the devs are unwilling to increase quantity and decrease price.

My guess is that they cannot afford to risk losing the investment that would be required for a large-scale release, which is understandable.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
galfordo said:
My guess is that they cannot afford to risk losing the investment that would be required for a large-scale release, which is understandable.
Do you mean the fixed costs associated with manufacturing the boards, cases, instructions, etc.? I can't imagine that they would be terribly high.

The only reason I can see for it is exclusivity. I would be surprised if they can find 50-100 who'd buy a homebrew for this cost, however.

Well - nice to see there has been some sensible discussion since the initial flood from one degree to the other, and some good advice along the way.

This system has one, if not the, biggest user-base in the coin op industry; I remember Miyajima telling me that there were 1.1million MVS motherboards produced and that was back in '99, so let's not thing that this system will curl over and die in a hurry. I don't think that anyone presumes there will be future releases to the extent that SNK produced - and let's face it, that's why they went under - pure Japanese head-in-the-sand escapism. So all of the die-hards can extol the virtues of SNK as-was, but they were a crap business organization in the 90's - if you knew how big the teams were, then you would cringe - so along comes a 2-3 man team who produce a game like this and some of us are putting them down before even playing the game.

If we can all cast out minds back to our favourite games from the 'golden era' as some would call it (sorry, I must remember that a good percentage of the bulletin board aren't old enough to have played the bunch of games that came out that funded the industry, the first time round - and that's not me slagging off members so don't even go there). There weren't such things as Meg Counts (because they didn't even get close) but remember what Eugene Jarvis (do a web search if you don't know who he is) did with such little resources - shit IMHO some of the best games ever played (ref: Defender, Robotron etc etc) by todays standards, crap graphics and not exactly a huge number (see none) of combo moves. A good game is in the gameplay - not in the meg count (tetris - need I say more).

As I initially said with SBP - try this new game out - either in the arcade, or buy it if you are an avid 'must have' collector. But how the hell can you slag it off without even seeing it. A screen grab AVI is never going to let you see how the game feels. I remember playing Vanguard (ever heard of it???) as a teenager and I couldn' stop playing it for weeks and weeks - even bought a PCB for nostalgia's sake in my 30's. If I looked at a screen grab of that now, i would question my sanity at that time.

Enough rambling - the guys will put this out, and it will sell some units - maybe not millions etc, but there should be some reward for this amount of work. Hopefully they will make more per head, than KOF2000 made for each member of that team for the parent company (and I'm guessing that's a negative amount).

It won't be as cheap as you would like ($10 for a knocked off set or ROMs) but I am sure that the final price point that they guys sort out, will be mutually acceptable for ALL parties - and remember that the collector base is far from the major interested shareholder in all of this. There really hasn't been a horizontal side-scroller on the neo for some time, and there is a market for it, if not 1.1 million units, then surely a percentage of that (price being correct that is).

And the ooint on devices - SMD ROMs aren't necessarily the way ahead - and I have researched this to a large extent over the past few years - if you just look at cost vs flexibility etc etc. Through-hole UV EPROMs may not be the cheapest, but at least they can be erased and used on the next project. There are some quite large devices on this game, and that combined with PCBs, Cases and Security systems, mean that you won't be able to get a new unit for $20 or so - fact of life - just deal with it. If you live in the USA - just think about Union Rates for labour - then try to work it out - or do we now condone Eastern rates for sweat shop labour - sorry guys, you can't have it both ways.

Enough - keep up the good work guys and don't be in a rush to get it out - whoever you do a deal with - make sure it ensures the security of your product and the work that you have done - and that goes for anyone else who is working on similar projects - and I know that there are a few.

Oh - and AW is dead - watch for the news - if you didn't already know... I am sure that the PR will be out soon if it isn't already.

Another 10c

Jeff F

Ely13 said:
Do you mean the fixed costs associated with manufacturing the boards, cases, instructions, etc.? I can't imagine that they would be terribly high.

The only reason I can see for it is exclusivity. I would be surprised if they can find 50-100 who'd buy a homebrew for this cost, however.

How much do you think it costs to manufacture a cartridge then - just the physical costs - i am intrigued by this one -

Q1 - lets say 1000 units (how much per unit)

Q2 - let's say 100 units (how much per unit)

This will be an interesting sidestreet to the thread - with security - not including development costs for the actual game - that means you have to include PCB design - tooling - plastics - 3D modelling - lazer cutting - and finally PCB manufacture - security programming - CE/UL certification - art design and printing, PCB manufacture, SMD assembly, Through-hole insertion, Wave flow work, Testing, Repair (if required), packaging, art production and printing, shipping costs - come on - think about it and give it your best shot - let's have some realistic assessments of this.

2c

Jeff F