'Last Hope' Central thread

Shino

Ninja Combat Warrior
it would be a shame if kof 2001s be sacrificed for this purpose. what if they

decide to release another game, will there be enough original kof2001 to be

destoryed. i dont think neo-geo.com should be too involved in their endeavor.

last hope look like a generic wannabe snk shooter. let them release the game in

shockboxes and have them ask for whatever price they wanna ask. if they are

successful, then great, and if they are not, the price would eventually come down

to meet the collectors. this would be an accurate measure of ng dev.team's

support.

Robi15

20 Year Member
it looks very nice.. i have to say..VERY NICE!..550 us is not a fantasy sum anymore. About the original snaplock cases.. maybe there is a way to track down where snk/playmore made these?? propably in china somewhere cause it is cheeper there. if that could be done, i mean ppl always need original snaplock cases in the future, would be super! but then again that costs money aswell. :annoyed: Anyway looks really good. any idea what the meg count would be? i love the knowledge of meg counts..hehe.

Fighter123

Banned
Nguyen2 said:

The graphics reminded me of Pulstar a lot to tell you the truth. I really hate R-Type clones because to me there's was no movation (or something new) in the game. I perfer Blazing Star over Pulstar any day. ;)

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Fighter17 said:
The graphics reminded me of Pulstar a lot to tell you the truth.

Same here. Especially those snake/ worm thingies. I like R-Type style games though.

Cyprien

n00b
Fran said:
fake shit

i wouldn't want to try it if i was given 20 $

but no wait,you want people to PAY for fake unofficial crap ?

people,the shooters on the neo are the ones made by snk / yumekobo / sammy

that's it

if you are so desperate for new good shooters there are tons coming out for the playstation 2

but that's not even the point

i am actually offended that people dare to develop stuff on my beloved neo geo

leave it the alone,please

I totally second that.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Cyprien said:
I totally second that.

Then you are just as stupid as he is. The Neo Geo is dead. The only way to get new games is through homebrew. To tell you the truth, this new game looks a lot better than homebrew. It looks a lot better than the stuff that SNK and Playmore put out (I will never consider Playmore to be SNK). Anyway, I don't give a rat's ass if Fran or you want to buy this game or not and the Neo Geo isn't that sacred anymore. Also, it isn't YOUR system to begin with. You don't own the rights to it so STFU. The system's future is now in the hands of the fans and if you don't support the fan base then you aren't a real Neo Geo fan.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
Makismo said:
The system's future is now in the hands of the fans and if you don't support the fan base then you aren't a real Neo Geo fan.

So if I don't fork over $700 on a homebrew cart, then I won't be a real Neo Geo fan anymore? Come on. We're all on this board trying to support the Neo as much as we can. If you want to buy this game then more power to you, but please don't lump the rest of us into a lame "ex-Neo Geo fans" category.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
Makismo said:
The system's future is now in the hands of the fans and if you don't support the fan base then you aren't a real Neo Geo fan.

You're mad.

Neo geo has no "future" just a great past, homebrews aren't gonna bring it back to life IMO. Remember that the neo is the longest supported console in history - and all good things come to an end eventually.

I think the neo went out gracefully, this doesn't mean I don't support homebrews or aren't a real fan, it just means that while homebrews are nice (as long as they don't cost an arm and a leg), we really aren't gonna see another SS2, Garou, FFS, kof98 again are we?

Cyprien

n00b
Makismo said:
Then you are just as stupid as he is. The Neo Geo is dead. The only way to get new games is through homebrew. To tell you the truth, this new game looks a lot better than homebrew. It looks a lot better than the stuff that SNK and Playmore put out (I will never consider Playmore to be SNK). Anyway, I don't give a rat's ass if Fran or you want to buy this game or not and the Neo Geo isn't that sacred anymore. Also, it isn't YOUR system to begin with. You don't own the rights to it so STFU. The system's future is now in the hands of the fans and if you don't support the fan base then you aren't a real Neo Geo fan.

I hope the futur of the neo-geo won't be represented by a couple of 700$ homebrew bought by a bunch of naive dickheads like you. Just let the neo-geo rest in peace, and stop spoiling it like that. The futur of snk is in the atomiswave, and on the new-generation consoles, and it not that bad imo. :chimp:

I have nothing against hombrew as long as it's not a rip-off like this. That's all.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Homebrew games aren't going to bring the neo back, but I appreciate people's time and effort. I'm honestly looking forward to this shooter. :)

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
Weevus said:
Homebrew games aren't going to bring the neo back, but I appreciate people's time and effort. I'm honestly looking forward to this shooter. :)

Cyprien said:
The futur of snk is in the atomiswave, and on the new-generation consoles, and it not that bad imo.

Agree X2 :)

I also like the fact that SNK are bringing their timeless classics to the current gen consoles & I hope they continue with the next-gen along with brand new titles as well.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Although I also find it hard to justify the price, I find it quite honorable that you have put so much effort into this. I wish you guys the best of luck with future releases, and you can surely count me in for a home MVS release if that ever comes to be.

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
soapy_jack23 said:
If you think you can sell for 700 go ahead but every single person here says they will not buy it at that price. There are so many ways to see the same profit you are aiming for maybe you should let someone else handle that side of the bussiness for you.!!!!

IMO, this is the smartest pont yet. Even at $550 for 40 units, you are looking at a gross revenue of only $22,000. After expenses how much will you be left with? Can this possibly be worth the effort? There has to be a better way. I say make more copies available at a lower price and consider multiple formats.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Beyond some nice effects, it looks like a tech demo that falls far below levels acheived by Pulstar, Blazing Star and even Last Resort. The game itself looks very rigid, even from the videos. The artistry falls way below what was seen on the Neo.

"But its homebrew, cut them some slack"

Not when they think 550 is a fair price.

I think its an insult to expect people to pay 550 for this. What are they paying for, the fact that it is on Neo Geo? Did you half program a game on PC, realize it stood no chance of getting attention and then port it to the Neo to take advantage of the sometimes decadent spending habbits of the fanbase?

Stupid.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
the neo geo is not dead as long as it gets independent support. SNKp may have moved on. if people are willing to make quality games on the system and they can regulate the price fairly, then a reduced fanbase that has always been catered for by SNK may have interest in this sort of thing.
this is a general point, not necessarily related to the game which is at hand.
now if some genius hackers could take Tenka and make it for the neo geo, that would be wicked.

edit: Rade, beyond pricepoint (which is a big problem), this is a first effort and if they do succeed maybe their follow ups will be stronger? it's still quite an achievement.

Last edited:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
NG:DEV.TEAM said:
Price is down to 550USD
The MVS version would be for home use only. Coin support would be not included/commercial use prohibited.
Well the price is much better ... I'd still have to wait and see if it's any cheaper used but at least I can daydream about it without feeling completely unrealistic.

Still though, the MVS one should be legal for commercial use. Go the 100% original route (like Vektorlogic's post mentioned), build in coin support, and tack an extra $100 onto the MVS price. If you don't build in that coin support, the bootleggers will hack it in ... then you won't make anything off of it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
* Is a MVS/NGCD/DC release planned?

Yes MVS,NGCD and DC versions are technicaly no problem and will be considered in future.
this is what alot of you guys have been pushing for. a DC release would by fukken sweet.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I would suggest getting in touch with goatdan from over at the digital press forums if you are even remotely interested in a DC release. If anyone can make that happen, he can. Supposedly the independent games he has helped get released have sold pretty well overseas compared to here. I think that might be a solid starting point.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Holy cow! That is amazing! Looks absolutely unlike anything on Neo Geo. Are you sure this is a Neo Geo game? ;)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Just watched the video, really nice and to be honest the video does the game far more justice than the screenshots. Well done.

As an ex games programmer myself I'm going to point out a couple of things that can maybe can be changed which I noticed.

1) Some of the explosions effects could be drawn better.

2) At around 1.30 into the video one of the snakes enters into the sand ground. The problem is the ground is moving at a different speed to the snake entering it making it look weird. You either need to make the snake scroll the same speed as the ground, don't make the snake enter the ground (make it go off the left of the screen) or remove the ground GFX while the snake is going off the bottom of the screen.

3) The sand ground could be drawn better.

4) The large Blue Pulse weapon you fire (1.12 into video) draws over the top of your ship as fired. It really needs a firing animation but Im sure you have this on your todo list anyways.

One thing I really do like is how the enemies are changing colors through R,G,B at around 1.00 into the video. Looks very nice indeed.

And finally some suggestions...

1) You could add 32 pixels off the top and bottom of the screen so when you move up and down those 32 pixels scroll in and out. You dont have to do this on every level but it does make space levels feel bigger for example where it dosent work so well in enclosed levels.

2) You could add raster effects easily to gfx under the water to give it a slow warping effect.

These are only things I point out as a games programmer, I still want to say that what you have got so far is very very good and certinally better than some of the other released NeoGeo shooters.

Also if the one thing stopping you doing the MVS version is Bios related and compatability then maybe I can help you there with my bios knowledge.

Raz

Last edited:

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
talks2wall said:
So if I don't fork over $700 on a homebrew cart, then I won't be a real Neo Geo fan anymore? Come on. We're all on this board trying to support the Neo as much as we can. If you want to buy this game then more power to you, but please don't lump the rest of us into a lame "ex-Neo Geo fans" category.

You don't always show support by spending money.
You encourage things such as homebrew titles to keep the scene alive. Sitting here talking about KOF combos and arguing over the inflated prices of AES carts can only do so much for the Neo Geo Community. From what I'm seeing with this "Last Hope" project, any REAL Neo Geo fan should be at least excited that it's happening. Who knows? This may spark interest with other people who may be able to make other homebrew titles... ones that maybe will interest you more.

And yes... a DC port would be most excellent! That way, people on a budget can get it, and the dedicated harcore can get the Neo Geo versions. Everone plays, everyone enjoys... everyone's happy. Except Fran. But you get the picture. ;)

I'm still waiting for the day for someone to do a real, original homebrew fighter for the Neo Geo. :glee:

Last edited:

Akira_Tekagi

Kula's Candy
I would like to know a few things about Last Hope :

1. Does the game have a simultaneous 2 player mode?
2. How many difficulty levels does the game have? (According to Shawn's mini-review the game should have selectable difficulty levels)
3. Will the AES version of the game have limited credits?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Makismo said:
Not trying to brag here but I spent $750 for a Blazing Star and I think that it is worth every penny. However, I think that someone must be insane to spend over $10,000 on a Kizuna Encounter when all you are really paying for is the printed paper material. You can get a very nice Japanese version of the same game for around $600. Now that is just plain nuts IMHO. The same can be said for the Ultimate 11. I also don't think that Metal Slug is worth $3,000 in English format but I wouldn't have a problem dropping around $1,200 max for it (I almost got it for that price too!)

Yes, you can buy a lot of stuff for $700 but nice things cost money and if you have a passion for Neo Geo home cartridges - then you have to pay out your ass for the nice ones. What can I say? The Neo Geo always was and is an elite game system that was made for a small market who has gone down to almost nothing over the years. That is all for now.

Ladies and Gentlemen.....

Neo-Geo.com's very own:
40 Year Old Virgin