NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Bump I know someone besides Lagduf will talk beer with me

I've been on a big cider kick lately with Woodchuck Amber being the best (way better than Hardcore Cider at least which is what's on tap around here), but the other day I decided to buy 3 big bottles of nice beer, 8.99 each plus tax at the liquor store in town. They're all 750mL, and considering that a 330mL of Delirium Tremens is 7 bucks at the corner bar, they were worth it.

Delirium Tremens
1039.jpg

Haven't opened this one yet, but this is the only one of the three that I've had before. Its a different kind of beer, not traditional in any way strange mix of citrusy flavors and bubblegum. Delicious though, although might not be for everyone. If you need a reason to drop a little extra change on a bottle you do get 8.5% alc by vol. So uh, if you don't like it at least you'll be feeling it by the end of the bottle.

Corsendonk Abbey Brown
994.jpg

A Belgian Dubbel, I drank this one last night with a meal (pork roast and veggies) and it was great. This one has a huge head. Pour as slow as possible then wait another few minutes so you don't drink just foam. Has a roasty taste that I think is pretty typical of brown ales. This one is very smooth though, very drinkable.

Chimay Rouge
51.jpg

A Belgian Tripel, only other red beer I've had is Killian's so this will be sort of a test run I guess to see how much I like it. Will update when I drink it.

lithy

20 Year Member
chimay.jpg

About a glass into this one now.

Its good, its really my first red other than one Killians ages ago that I don't remember. It seems like the reds are good for getting a little deeper flavor than a pilsner without getting such a heavy drink like the dark beers. This one started with a little bit of fruity taste although I can't seem to taste it anymore, I can only smell it.

EDIT: As this warmed up, I could definately start tasting the black cherries which I am honestly not a fan of. I would probably skip this one in the future, its good, but not for me.

Anyone on to a new topic, as you can see from my picture, that's the only beer glass I have, and its all marked up with mixer instructions for liquor.

So what does anyone else drink their beer out of. I know you could do different glasses for all different types of beer, but I really have neither the money nor the space for 6 different sets of beer glasses.

I've been thinking of just picking up a traditional marked imperial pint kind of glass. Is this good for general drinking and anyone happen to have a set they like?

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
I'll be spending a few weeks in Czech Republic pretty soon, I know they have good beer traditions --including Budweiser (brewed since 1265).

Any of you beer connoisseurs and/or Euros have any recommendations?

I'm not a giant fan of dark beers (e.g. I don't like Guinness), more pilsner/wheat, but if its a "must-have" then I might give it a try.

lithy

20 Year Member
I'm jealous Bobak, here's a bump so you can get some suggestions.

Also I bought handful of new beers to try over the coming week.

Fort Collins Major Toms Pomegranate Wheat
44822.jpg

This is the only one I've had so far. It's an ok wheat beer, I honestly can't find a pomegranate flavor in here. Girlfriend really likes it, but I probably wouldn't get this again, I'd prefer even something like Blue Moon.

Blanche de Namur
4985.jpg

Got a 750mL of this, reviews are ok overall but actually one of the higher rated Belgian Whites.

EDIT: Just drank this one. It was disappointing at first, weak on flavor, until I remembered to shake up this Belgian white just a little. That helped it out a lot, orange and coriandor came through but in the end it was maybe only a half notch above Blue Moon and for the price I couldn't justify getting it again. Good just nothing amazing, and I'll take my Blue Moon in the future for about half the price.

Chimay Blue
53.jpg

Chimay Red didn't impress me once it warmed enough to get the cherry flavor out. This one is supposed to have some plum flavor, and I only bought a 12 oz instead of a 750mL this time.

EDIT: Pours a dark brown as expected, reddish tint and beige head. Dark beer but light when drinking, nowhere near as heavy as stouts and porters, probably because it seems very carbonated. First sip was very citrusy, deeper flavors are standard toffee/chocolate/whatever I can't tell that seems to be a common taste in brown ales. I can get the plum that is supposed to be here on the nose but couldn't find it while drinking until it warmed up a little. Exactly like the cherries in the Chimay Red but less offensive to me. This one is good, not fantastic though, might get a corked 750mL just to give it one more chance in the future.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA
10569.jpg

This is going to be one of the first IPAs I've tried. I may have had others but if I did I wasn't paying attention to what it was when I drank it, so we'll see.

EDIT: Fucking wow guys, this one is awesome. Pours a dark amber with a creamy very light brown head that never completely dissipated as I drank. Very distinct bitter type of flavor that from what I understand is the trademark for an IPA. Still this one is very strong, much more than I imagine most IPAs are. Hints of raisins in the smell and taste that I can detect. That's about all I can name, I could cheat off of smarter reviewers, but I won't. In either case, I would definately get this one again. I'll haven't seen the 120 that Joe suggested but if I see it I'll try it. I'll probably give the 60 a shot too, but judging from the reviews this is the best of the three. Although 90 is probably more fairly comparable to 60 than 120.

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
1090.jpg

Another one like above, the first try of this style beer, never had a Doppelbock before.

EDIT: This one pours a little darker than Coke color although held up to the light its actually a really dark red color with the same beige head as a Coke. The head hangs around forever. Great flavors in this one caramel, some coffee and lots of chocolate under a strong malt flavor, very smooth comparable to something like a milk stout for drinkability. I really like this one.

Rochefort Trappistes 8
5400.jpg

Nothing to say here yet.

EDIT: Color is kind of a cloudy light brown. Not too dark that you can't see through but still a brown ale. Big tan head. This one was nice. Smooth, buttery/caramel taste, maybe some other stuff, but this was my 3rd beer of the night :emb: Should appreciate it more next time, but I will try this again.

Sorry about the varying size of the pics, they're all from ratebeer.com

Updates to come once I try each of them.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
lithy said:
I'm jealous Bobak, here's a bump so you can get some suggestions.

Also I bought handful of new beers to try over the coming week.

Fort Collins Major Toms Pomegranate Wheat
44822.jpg

This is the only one I've had so far. It's an ok wheat beer, I honestly can't find a pomegranate flavor in here. Girlfriend really likes it, but I probably wouldn't get this again, I'd prefer even something like Blue Moon.

Blanche de Namur
4985.jpg

Got a 750mL of this, reviews are ok overall but actually one of the top rated Belgian Whites.

Chimay Blue
53.jpg

Chimay Red didn't impress me once it warmed enough to get the cherry flavor out. This one is supposed to have some plum flavor, and I only bought a 12 oz instead of a 750mL this time.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA
10569.jpg

This is going to be one of the first IPAs I've tried. I may have had others but if I did I wasn't paying attention to what it was when I drank it, so we'll see.

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
1090.jpg

Another one like above, the first try of this style beer, never had a Doppelbock before.

Rochefort Trappistes 8
5400.jpg

Nothing to say here yet.

Sorry about the varying size of the pics, they're all from ratebeer.com

Updates to come once I try each of them.

Celebrator is okay

Rochefort 8 and 10 are fantastic.

I like this thread.

Trappistes > any other beer

Orval is the king in my opinion.

Westmalle tripel ain't too shabby. Been drinking a ton of summer stuff lately. Orange Blossom, Curve Ball, Skinny Dip.

Kostritzer kicks much ass.

lithy

20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Celebrator is okay

Rochefort 8 and 10 are fantastic.

I like this thread.

Trappistes > any other beer

Orval is the king in my opinion.

Westmalle tripel ain't too shabby. Been drinking a ton of summer stuff lately. Orange Blossom, Curve Ball, Skinny Dip.

Kostritzer kicks much ass.

I pretty much just pick up whatever I can find around town which is unfortunately a very limited amount of stuff. No Rochefort 10 :( Haven't heard of Westmalle or Kostritzer yet, but haven't seen those around either.

The place I got some at today did have Orval though, I'll have to grab that one next time I'm up there. They also have Sam Smith Imperial Stout, I was going to get one but they only had one 4 pack and I didn't want to break it up on them just for the one bottle. So those are on the list for the next run along with Chimay White.

As for Summer stuff, that Pomegranate Wheat is considered a seasonal Summer, and other than that I've only had a couple Sam Adams Summer Ale which was surprisingly good. Otherwise my drinking habits don't really change due to the summer heat because I'm cowering inside :emb:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Dogfish 120 minute IPA is an experience to be treasured.

If you're serious about your brews then don't hesitate to drop the cash for a bottle because I promise you it will be well worth your time.

As much as I love my fine, fine red wine, I really do miss beer.

But that maltose is a real killer though.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
lithy said:
I pretty much just pick up whatever I can find around town which is unfortunately a very limited amount of stuff. No Rochefort 10 :( Haven't heard of Westmalle or Kostritzer yet, but haven't seen those around either.

The place I got some at today did have Orval though, I'll have to grab that one next time I'm up there. They also have Sam Smith Imperial Stout, I was going to get one but they only had one 4 pack and I didn't want to break it up on them just for the one bottle. So those are on the list for the next run along with Chimay White.

As for Summer stuff, that Pomegranate Wheat is considered a seasonal Summer, and other than that I've only had a couple Sam Adams Summer Ale which was surprisingly good. Otherwise my drinking habits don't really change due to the summer heat because I'm cowering inside :emb:

At least you can get Rochefort, PERIOD. They changed how/where they distribute it. My region got pretty much wiped out. Not available down here anymore much at all.

Kostritzer is a black lager, similar to Sam Adams version but WAY WAY better. Westmalle is solid. But I don't know if I could pick it over Rochefort.

Orval won't disappoint.

as far as glasses go, I just use my chimay and Orval glasses for most stuff.

Last edited:

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
where the hell do you guys find all these crazy beers?
i've found one that i really enjoy at a local bar called 'highland gaelic ale'.

very hoppy, and refreshing.

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
BryLmoo said:
where the hell do you guys find all these crazy beers?
i've found one that i really enjoy at a local bar called 'highland gaelic ale'.

very hoppy, and refreshing.

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/

Highland Gaelic is pretty good, so is Highland St. Teresas.

You might look for a specialty beer shop. We only have one, and I don't know the laws in NC, but in TN anything over 6% has to have a liquor license to be sold. I just look in every liquor store I get a chance, most don't have anything good, every once in a while you'll find a place with a small 'import beer' section.

The problem is most places will carry the same stuff because they all get it from the same distributors and the distributors only carry certain things.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
there are a few 'discount' beverage stores near my house that apparently specialize in import beers.

i'll give them a try and see what i come up with.

lithy

20 Year Member
BryLmoo said:
there are a few 'discount' beverage stores near my house that apparently specialize in import beers.

i'll give them a try and see what i come up with.

Also was going to mention since you're in NC, so is Highland, and so is The Duck Rabbit.

Take a look for some Duck Rabbit beers, I've liked every one that I've tried. Duck Rabbit Amber has probably the weakest reviews of any and I even like that one. I've also tried the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout which is fantastic, heavy, and dark. And I've really been keeping an eye out for Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter it has some fantastic reviews.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/the-duck-rabbit-baltic-porter/63820/

In any case, just though I'd mention that since its usually fairly easy to find beers brewed in your own state.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
lithy said:
Also was going to mention since you're in NC, so is Highland, and so is The Duck Rabbit.

Take a look for some Duck Rabbit beers, I've liked every one that I've tried. Duck Rabbit Amber has probably the weakest reviews of any and I even like that one. I've also tried the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout which is fantastic, heavy, and dark. And I've really been keeping an eye out for Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter it has some fantastic reviews.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/the-duck-rabbit-baltic-porter/63820/

In any case, just though I'd mention that since its usually fairly easy to find beers brewed in your own state.

sweet! thanks for the info. :)

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
lithy said:
Delirium Tremens
1039.jpg

Drinking this right now....not bad. Tastes similar to a Chimay Blue almost. Citrus notes don't really jump out for me. Just a slightly sweet belgian style beer, really. Supposed to go really well with mussels and french fries...gross. I am eating blue potato chips though.

Might like it more after I finish it. Pretty clean aftertaste though, which I like.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm drunk right now

It's summer time up here in the northern hemisphere.

Time for some lighter summery stuff:

Sam Adams Summer Ale is always a safe bet.
New Belgium Sunshine Wheat is available year round, but I enjoy it most this season.

I do also enjoy an MGD or Tecate with BBQ/Grilled foods as well.

Edit: anyone else have any summer favorites or beers that go well with your typical american grilled fare like burgers, steak, chicken, ribs, etc?

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I MISSED YOU SO FUCKING BAD

BUT NOW I'M GOING TO SLEEP

DO NOT LEAVE ME AGAIN

lithy

20 Year Member
Lagduf said:
It's summer time up here in the northern hemisphere.

Time for some lighter summery stuff:

Sam Adams Summer Ale is always a safe bet.
New Belgium Sunshine Wheat is available year round, but I enjoy it most this season.

I do also enjoy an MGD or Tecate with BBQ/Grilled foods as well.

Edit: anyone else have any summer favorites or beers that go well with your typical american grilled fare like burgers, steak, chicken, ribs, etc?

I know that Leinenkugel's is just another Miller brand now, but I really like some of their beers.

Specifically

Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat
57459.jpg

I think its available year round like that New Belgium (which I haven't had) this Wheat is almost overly fruity and I don't think its for everyone. But if you think you'd like drinking the Fruity Pebbles flavored milk left at the bottom of your cereal bowl, you might like this one. I do.

lithy

20 Year Member
Highland Oatmeal Porter
7534.jpg

Had one of these tonight at Mellow Mushroom trivia. It was pretty good very dark brown with a dark beige head. Malty flavor, a little chocolatey. Very filling like most dark beers. I only had one and with my pretzels I was more than full. Then again, I've had better. Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout :drool: and even Left Hand Milk Stout, which is only a quarter more than the Highland. In the future I'd probably just go for the Left Hand instead, but this was worth the one time try.

Also picked up a bunch more beers today that I'll run through as I try them. Found some Orval and Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel per pixeljunkies suggestion. Grabbed a Rochefort 6, Sam Smith Imperial Stout, as well as a Traquair House Ale which I hadn't heard of, but checked the reviews when I got back and it looks like I'm safe with that purchase.

I also bought a cheap set of six 22oz Pilsner glasses today. I know they aren't quite ideal for drinking certain beers but they are nice glasses, only 8 bucks at Ross Dress for Less. :emb: Basically just something like this

gc237.gif

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have some Generic 16 oz glasses (made for 12oz beers) and some 16oz glasses from a local brewery.

I need to get some pint glasses or mugs though.

lithy

20 Year Member
Just poured the first of six new beers to come.

Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout
85.jpg

Pours a dark dark brown (basically black) that lets no light through. Large dark tan foamy head that stays for a long while. Smell reminds me of Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, but its been too long since I had one so I can't say for sure if its just the name tricking me. It feels much thinner in the mouth than the Oatmeal Stout and most dark beers for that matter. Also has a much more noticable alcohol taste than most other high alcohol beers I've had lately. That said, the alcohol doesn't ruin the taste, it is very drinkable, especially since it is so light to drink despite its dark dark color.

For better or worse for my sobriety I could probably drink 3+ of these in a sitting without a full stomach.