NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
lithy said:
Just had my first Hoegaarden...

DELICIOUS

Ha, i bet you like Blue Moon too! Not a fan of that variety of beer.

jro said:
Carlsberg Elephant. It has a nice high (relatively) proof to it, and it also tastes good/drinks smooth. The alcohol content is actually high enough that it's considered a malt liquor, I think.

My friend was telling me about this, I think he has some i'll have to give it a whirl.

@Buro - I've got a friend in Phoenix (former roomate actually) who tells me stories of all the Bars and liquor stores down there. I'm probably going to visit him sometime this summer. He says he knows of a bar with abour 30 different beers on tap (perhaps it was more, i cant recall). I'll probably be dead within a week from alcohol poisoning. Hopefully they find me in a gutter clutching a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout in one hand and an OE800 in the other.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
i don't know very much about different kinds of beer...
i'd sure like to try them

maybe someone could give me a list of the best brews to sample?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I don't drink alcohol of any sorts, but there's this kind of beer I saw on Conan O'Brien's show once when they brought in beer expert Michael Jackson (No, not that Michael Jackson) to talk beer, and he had this chocolate beer with him. Conan took a sip of it and remarked, 'my god, it tastes just like chocolate!'

That's something I'd really like to try one of these days, but I've never come across it :( Any tips are appreciated.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Lagduf said:
@Buro - I've got a friend in Phoenix (former roomate actually) who tells me stories of all the Bars and liquor stores down there. I'm probably going to visit him sometime this summer. He says he knows of a bar with abour 30 different beers on tap (perhaps it was more, i cant recall). I'll probably be dead within a week from alcohol poisoning. Hopefully they find me in a gutter clutching a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout in one hand and an OE800 in the other.
I don't know about the 30 beers, but theres a bar/restaurant called The Yardhouse (it's actually a chain) in North Phoenix that has 120 beers on tap. I have yet to make it up there.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Fact: There is always a 12 pack of Newcastle in my fridge.

aria

Former Moderator
BryLmoo said:
i don't know very much about different kinds of beer...
i'd sure like to try them

maybe someone could give me a list of the best brews to sample?

I hated beer at first, but at the time I was trying the cheap crap. If you want to gain an appreciation for beer, take time to try some mircrobrewery or brewhouse around you and see if they offer a sampler (otherwise, or regardless, you may want a designated driver).

The first thing you should figure out is what style of beer you like, then figure out what brands within those types you like.

There are two styles, with many sub-categories (and my sub-categories are by no means comprehensive).

(1) Ales
-- Bitter ales (pale ales, etc)
-- Red ales
-- Stouts
-- Porters
-- Wheat beer (with its own sub-categories, I prefer the Hefeweizens)

(2) Lagers
-- Pilsners
-- Märzens
-- Dunkel
-- Helles
-- Bocks

I personally like crisper, lighter beers (which is virtually all Japanese beer and beers made in warmer climates), but I think the occasional darker beer (like Marzen) can be really tasty. The really dark beers I find too heavy and unenjoyable --but there are people who swear by them. My favorite ales tend to be Hefeweizens.

I could give some starting suggestions, but you best bet is to find a good brewhouse and see which ones of those you can get. Remember, they're not brands --they're types.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
I don't know about the 30 beers, but theres a bar/restaurant called The Yardhouse (it's actually a chain) in North Phoenix that has 120 beers on tap. I have yet to make it up there.

Maybe thats what he was talking about. Eitherway i'm lucky in my town if any of the bars have more then one microbrew on tap.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
I don't drink alcohol of any sorts, but there's this kind of beer I saw on Conan O'Brien's show once when they brought in beer expert Michael Jackson (No, not that Michael Jackson) to talk beer, and he had this chocolate beer with him. Conan took a sip of it and remarked, 'my god, it tastes just like chocolate!'

That's something I'd really like to try one of these days, but I've never come across it :( Any tips are appreciated.
Living in the land o' microbrews (Colorado), I've had occasion to sample both chocolate stouts and chocolate porters. I believe the one I've purchased more than once is the Chocolate Stout by Fort Collins Brewery.

Pretty decent, really. It maintains the strong, dark character of a stout but has a notable chocolate taste to it, which is actually given via milk chocolate, if I remember correctly.

Chocolate porters are interesting, as well. I don't really think porters lend to chocolate flavoring as well as stouts, but I'm still willing to buy a single every now and then when Wilbur's Total Beverage has them in stock.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
I hated beer at first, but at the time I was trying the cheap crap. If you want to gain an appreciation for beer, take time to try some mircrobrewery or brewhouse around you and see if they offer a sampler (otherwise, or regardless, you may want a designated driver).

The first thing you should figure out is what style of beer you like, then figure out what brands within those types you like.

There are two styles, with many sub-categories (and my sub-categories are by no means comprehensive).

(1) Ales
-- Bitter ales (pale ales, etc)
-- Red ales
-- Stouts
-- Porters
-- Wheat beer (with its own sub-categories, I prefer the Hefeweizens)

(2) Lagers
-- Pilsners
-- Märzens
-- Dunkel
-- Helles
-- Bocks

I personally like crisper, lighter beers (which is virtually all Japanese beer and beers made in warmer climates), but I think the occasional darker beer (like Marzen) can be really tasty. The really dark beers I find too heavy and unenjoyable --but there are people who swear by them. My favorite ales tend to be Hefeweizens.

I could give some starting suggestions, but you best bet is to find a good brewhouse and see which ones of those you can get. Remember, they're not brands --they're types.

reminds me of wine tasting...i'll give it a shot

daybona

Juz,
bokmeow said:

Perhaps you are refering to youngs chocolate stout. I'm drinking one right now.

Curt

apostate
I dropped my case of 20 Long Neck Bud Lights the other day while bringing them into the building. I had them and a case of San Pellegrino Limonata, and I was punching in the keys to open the door and some old lady was trying to hurry me up. My hand slipped, and down went the bud light, all over her shoes, the lobby smelled of beer. It was terrible, I was really embarassed. Luckily only 2 of the bottles broke, and my 20 pack went down to only a 18 pack.

aria

Former Moderator
Lagduf said:
Maybe thats what he was talking about. Eitherway i'm lucky in my town if any of the bars have more then one microbrew on tap.

Yeah, the YardHouse stared in SoCal, I used to go to the one in Long Beach (which I think is either the original or one of the first few locations). A good time for a beer enthusiast.

If you're only into one beer, buy a "yard", which is literally a yard tall beer class. They have to set it on the floor. The skillful drinkers set the bottom of the glass on their show and then get the extra leverage when taking a drink.

It's almost good as the "Das Boot" they serve at Gasthof Zur Gemütlichkeit, a German bar up here in the Twin Cities. Ja, iz güd...

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Curt said:
I dropped my case of 20 Long Neck Bud Lights the other day while bringing them into the building. I had them and a case of San Pellegrino Limonata, and I was punching in the keys to open the door and some old lady was trying to hurry me up. My hand slipped, and down went the bud light, all over her shoes, the lobby smelled of beer. It was terrible, I was really embarassed. Luckily only 2 of the bottles broke, and my 20 pack went down to only a 18 pack.

Old people deserve it. I mean, she's had like what? 60-90 years to do shit already? Why is she in a hurry now? Don't feel bad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Curt said:

I was going to shed a tear at this tragic story of broken beer until i remember it was Bud Light you were drinking:oh_no:

I'm not a great fan of Annheuser Busch (sp?) even though they're based in my state, and I don't care to much for "light" beer.

On a beer note:

For those unfamiliar with beer (how its made, etc) the Sam Adams website has a pretty neat beer encyclopedia.

Buro Destruct

Curt said:
Don't feel too bad, all you did was drop a case of corn water.

Bud, Miller, Coors = Total garbage

EDIT: On another note, I have a question for you more experienced beer drinkers. How and/or why does temperature affect the overall taste of a beer? I see people citing in beer reviews about it being served "too cold" and I don't really get how to properly serve a beer at a particular temperature.

I had a Red Stripe the other night, in the bottle, and noticed that after about 10-11 minutes of mildly sipping it because it tasted oddly bitter, it suddenly regained its sweet/buttery aftertaste, which is the single reason I love it so much.

Is it always a good idea to let your beer sit a few minutes to "warm" up before drinking it?

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
Don't feel too bad, all you did was drop a case of corn water.

Bud, Miller, Coors = Total garbage

Yeah but they were Longnecks of garbage corn water.

:kekeke:

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
Young's Chocolate Stout is the only chocolate beer I know. It doesn't really taste that much of chocolate though. Orkney Dark Island has a very similar quality to it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Thinking of this thread last night while I was in the newest liquor store in my town, I decided to finally try Sapporo for the first time.

After giving it some additional chill time in my fridge (the coolers at liquor stores usually are too warm, IMO), I tried it. And I have to admit, that's some damn good stuff. Unique, yet refreshing. Good clean taste to it, very satisfying.

Still, I wish it was actually brewed in Japan instead of Canada.

aria

Former Moderator
jro said:
Thinking of this thread last night while I was in the newest liquor store in my town, I decided to finally try Sapporo for the first time.

After giving it some additional chill time in my fridge (the coolers at liquor stores usually are too warm, IMO), I tried it. And I have to admit, that's some damn good stuff. Unique, yet refreshing. Good clean taste to it, very satisfying.

Still, I wish it was actually brewed in Japan instead of Canada.

Cool man, glad to hear you liked it.

Ramus

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Cooper's Beer in Australia is the best beer I've ever had. Anyone seen it here in the states? I wish I could have about 7 or 8 of them right now. :crying:

aria

Former Moderator
btw... on the topic of Japanese beer, the tax laws in Japan have actually made some amusing "beer alternatives": basically beverages made to be like beer, but made in ways that makes them technically "not" beer for taxing purposes.

When I went out drinking with the Tokyo folks, it ends up it's smart to just start with a real beer or two then switch to the other stuff: happoshu (low malt). Actually, due to the popularity, the gov't start taxing even the part-beer and now companies make extremely to no-malt "beers" (basically "beer flavored"), apparently refered to as "third beers".

more on happonshu, the stuff a real Japanese drunkard uses for a good time

Kind of amusing, really.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
btw... on the topic of Japanese beer, the tax laws in Japan have actually made some amusing "beer alternatives": basically beverages made to be like beer, but made in ways that makes them technically "not" beer for taxing purposes.

When I went out drinking with the Tokyo folks, it ends up it's smart to just start with a real beer or two then switch to the other stuff: happoshu (low malt). Actually, due to the popularity, the gov't start taxing even the part-beer and now companies make extremely to no-malt "beers" (basically "beer flavored"), apparently refered to as "third beers".

more on happonshu, the stuff a real Japanese drunkard uses for a good time

Kind of amusing, really.
Does happoshu taste pretty much like regular beer? Interesting way to structure tax schedules and an even more interesting way to circumvent the system.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Sapporo is seriously pretty boring and corny, any elitism aside.

If anyone lives near a BevMo, or Whole Foods, grab a random Belgian. Even the worst one is guaranteed to be miles better than all this glorified Budweiser.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I usually drink Stella artois Or on occasion MGD. Corona with a lime is good too.

Buro Destruct

Currently enjoying my first Black and Tan (Bass, not Harp). Its mighty fine.