NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
DevilRedeemed said:
I can no longer drink regular beer on account of being celiac, but when I used to drink my favourite was Newcastle Brown. oh and I almost forgot - used to love a Miller from time to time.
the nicest I've ever had was at a pub with a friend who got me a Guiness with some blackberry syrup or something mixed in. it was delicious.
living in Argentina for the past couple of years it's been mostly Quilmes (until I found out I had this condition), which is the most popular beer here and I bet more than a few of you would enjoy it.

anyway, thank god they've invented beer that isn't made from stuff that will devestate me. it's expensive and it doesn't taste too nice cold, but at room temperature El Bolson beer (made from corn) is lovely and hits the spot. it sounds weird but it's suprisingly good.
*looks up at the ceiling and whispers 'thank you!'*

Hey, man, sorry to hear about that. Dietary restrictions suck.

But have you tried heffewietzen (almost certain I spelled it wrong... pronounced hay-fe-wiet-zen I think, but probably wrong there too :D )? That's what the Germans call beers made with wheat instead of barley. Examples include Hoegaarden, Leffe, and many others. Wheat beer is all the rage in my town right now, and a lot of people like its heady flavour with an almost fruit-like edge to it. Smooth as hell, too. Just don't start with the bad stuff. Might put you off it forever.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Oh man wheat beer, for some reason, makes me wish I were dead the morning after.

I used to be a big beer drinker, but now I can't drink much beer at all without feeling awful the day after.

I may have some allergy to it now, some in my family have a certain allergy or some sort of reaction that isn't pleasant.

I'm allergic to wine, kill me if I drink any.

Scotch is still the King in my world.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
What is your favorite Beer? Bass Ale
What beer do you drink most often? Bass Ale
What's your favorite "cheap" beer? Any dark beer from Trader Joe's.
Any good local breweries near you? Forgot the name.
Do you brew your own beer? No

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
John Smiths (Teh smooth)
Fosters (Teh common and teh cheap)

Settles it for me :emb:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
10170.gif

Jesus H Christ on a stick is this beer good. I tried it for the first time tonight and my only regret was purchasing just one meager bottle.

Fucking wow.

Another man has been saved.

Welcome to the light Buro.

The price may be high on Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout, but it's worth its weight in gold.

And for those interested in brewing their own beer: You do not need a complicated setup. It is relatively easy, and if you have a homebrew shop you can probably pick up all the supplies, a kit to make beer (ingredients), and a book on brewing. I've seen my roomate do it twice now. Its easy.

I've been drinking Sam Adams Boston Ale of late. Good stuff.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
HeartlessNinny said:
Hey, man, sorry to hear about that. Dietary restrictions suck.

But have you tried heffewietzen (almost certain I spelled it wrong... pronounced hay-fe-wiet-zen I think, but probably wrong there too :D )? That's what the Germans call beers made with wheat instead of barley. Examples include Hoegaarden, Leffe, and many others. Wheat beer is all the rage in my town right now, and a lot of people like its heady flavour with an almost fruit-like edge to it. Smooth as hell, too. Just don't start with the bad stuff. Might put you off it forever.
hey man. thanks for the heads up. problem is I can't digest Barley Oats Wheat and some other grain. yeah it's a pain, but my son has it too so whilst I have to take care of him I take care of myself and it becomes alot easier. not much will power required.

bigb32

Quiz Detective
Winter is the best time for beer, since you get all the winter brews. My all time favorite beer is Sierra Nevada Celebration and the Pyramid Snow Cap isnt bad either. There is a brewery here in Sacramento that makes a winter beer called the Hoppy Claus, which is also pretty good.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
bigb32 said:
Winter is the best time for beer, since you get all the winter brews. My all time favorite beer is Sierra Nevada Celebration and the Pyramid Snow Cap isnt bad either. There is a brewery here in Sacramento that makes a winter beer called the Hoppy Claus, which is also pretty good.

I had some Sierre Nevada Celebration Ale awhile ago. It was good for what it was, but i'm really not of a fan of paler ales like that. (pale ales in general, i can handle sam adams boston ale though).

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot however, is amazing.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ki_atsushi said:
For some reason, a Corona w/lime and a pinch of salt is my favorite drink to go along with a meal. Love that shit, it tastes good and it enhances the taste of everything that I eat with it.

:buttrock:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Kirin Lager, the most beautiful creation on earth.

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
ResOGlas said:
Kirin Lager, the most beautiful creation on earth.
Didnt I steal one of your beers once?
Was that you?

I like SHIT BEER.
PBR .
King Cobra .
ECT ECT.

Good beer rocks but im a poor ass trick.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
DevilRedeemed said:
hey man. thanks for the heads up. problem is I can't digest Barley Oats Wheat and some other grain. yeah it's a pain, but my son has it too so whilst I have to take care of him I take care of myself and it becomes alot easier. not much will power required.

Hrng, I had a feeling that that would be the case, but I'd hoped you were one of the lucky ones that could take stuff that was similar to barley...

I know what you mean, though. I don't have any particular dietary restictions, but if I eat a lot of fat in a short period of time, I get unbelievable pains in my abdomen (I'll spare you the gory details). Took me a while to figure out what was going on, but once I did, no will power required here either... If I think something will make me sick, I don't care how delicious it is, I leave that shit alone.

Ah well. I suppose of all the health problems there are, dietary restrictions aren't the worst of the lot... And at least you still have many other alcohols to enjoy.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
mookystains said:
Didnt I steal one of your beers once?
Was that you?

Hahaha that'd be me, I just kind of looked the other way.

Lately I've tried many a Belgian ale, the kind that come in a corked bottle, delicious stuff. One of them I think was organic and made with well water or some shit, way leet.

There's a store here called BevMo, they have godly selectons of beer, and booze too. Anyone else have this store?

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
red_stripe.jpg

For whatever reason, this beer gets mediocre/middling reviews on RateBeer, but I have a feeling that place is crawling with snobby assholes who drink nothing but Westvletern and hate everything else.

Hooray fucking beer indeed, I love the sweet almost buttery finish of this pale lager.

Btw, what does everyone drink their beer from? For the most part, every beer I've had since getting "into" them has tasted at least marginally better in a glass than the bottle (Guiness is the only exception, I like it better from a bottle). Just curious if anyone has a "beer glass" or a preference.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
red_stripe.jpg

For whatever reason, this beer gets mediocre/middling reviews on RateBeer, but I have a feeling that place is crawling with snobby assholes who drink nothing but Westvletern and hate everything else.

When you really start to get serious [see: crazy] with beer drinking/experimenting, you'll come to find that ratebeer is usually pretty accurate with their reviews, and the average Red Stripe rating is no exception.

Mind you, I am serious about my beer and I happen to like Red Stripe as well, but really... it's nothing special and is only slightly above average when compared to everything else.

Buro Destruct said:
Just curious if anyone has a "beer glass" or a preference.

My Oversized Wine Glass is my personal favorite since I'm partial to Belgian Ales.

Also have a few Pint Glasses (easiest to drink from), a couple Mugs (large quanities of cheap crap), one Stange (for the good malty stuff) and a Glass Goblet (for show.)

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
10170.gif

Jesus H Christ on a stick is this beer good. I tried it for the first time tonight and my only regret was purchasing just one meager bottle.

Fucking wow.

I'm gonna have to echo Buro here, just had my first Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout and its fantasctic. Now my only regret is only buying six ;) Much thanks to a special someone for helping me out. Knoxville is shit for finding foreign/microbrew/anything but boring domestic and shitty popular import beers.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm drinking a bottle of my fave Pilsener as we speak, it's Flensburger Pilsener...

flensburger-pilsener.jpg

Very good stuff, slightly bitter aftertaste, and really fresh.

They have English webpages as well in case some of you are interested:

http://www.flens.co.uk/

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The guy at my local liquor store has a big display of Carlsberg.

It says "Support free speech, drink Danish beer".

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
CruelSummer80's said:
Colt 45 is my choice, I can't drink that spicy shit.

Ha! Colt 45 is shit compared to Olde English 800. OE 800 is my malt liquor of choice (that and Mickeys).

Uhh, I'm glad Lithy has seen the light - Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is awesome. On a related note, I've managed to find a few more Samuel Smith varietys, I liked their Imperial Stout mainly because it was so smooth but 7% alcohol. Good stuff.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/782/
http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=85

I prefer beer from a glass these days, it allows you to see the color (yes I admire the color) and I believe it helps with taste as well.

I only have one beer glass, I need to get a glass from the Samuel Smith website that can hold a full 550ml.

I bought a 6 pack of Samuel Adams Brown Ale, I liked that very much.