What is the hardest shooter of all time???

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Cnidarian said:
also a special mention for Undeadline (Megadrive).

Ugh... :envy:

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Cardiaxx (which I loved) on the Amiga was probably the hardest I can think of. Check it out if you can, defaintely worth it. It had one annoying flaw in the game which made it hard. Each level you had only 60 seconds to complete, if you died you had to start the level again, but the timer didn't restart which meant basically you had to complete the game on 1 life!

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
zhulien said:
Cardiaxx (which I loved) on the Amiga was probably the hardest I can think of. Check it out if you can, defaintely worth it. It had one annoying flaw in the game which made it hard. Each level you had only 60 seconds to complete, if you died you had to start the level again, but the timer didn't restart which meant basically you had to complete the game on 1 life!

HAHAHA!!!!
:lol:
I should get that just to see it, that sounds almost impossible

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Rayxanber 2, Image Fight 1 & 2, and whole Parodius series for me.

The Parodius series wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have that OH! power up that
makes you loose all of your power ups or that roulette power up :mad:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
kernow said:
what is it with these new shooters I dunno, I don't play many but they all just look like a whole screen full of bullets nowadays , therefore they'd all be quite hard to me :(

You know what, I was about to say the same thing with that "Para Para" music game. I saw it played at Otakon by some well-practices girls. I mean, the stuff was coming down like an insane shooter.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I don't know about most difficult, but currently I am trying to beat the last stage of Sonic Wings 2 and it is impossible, for me anyways...any tips?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Hentai Sama said:
Noiz2sa on Endless Insane.

Thats a little different I'd say. In the near future here I'll be getting a mac so I'm going to have to get all the ABA stuff. ;)

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
crujones4life said:
I don't know about most difficult, but currently I am trying to beat the last stage of Sonic Wings 2 and it is impossible, for me anyways...any tips?

I'm afraid not.
I played the 3 SW as well as the Special Edition and it's all the same: last stages are really hard to say the least. Just count on reflexes.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Salamander 2
Ikaruga
Pulstar
Viewpoint
Gradius V? I only played a bit

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
after the 1st stage, pulstar becomes incredibly hard.

Ikaruga is pretty hard, but I'm at least getting to the third stage without dying or at least having to continue.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Psychosis for the TG-16 was a hard one. I'd be afraid to attempt to 1cc that game.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Pulstar and Viewpoint. Totally painful to play, good games and all though.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Reached the third stage in Pulstar only once... Pretty hard but surely easy once you know the patterns. I mean, not so easy but far more easy than reflex shooters.

kernow said:
what is it with these new shooters I dunno, I don't play many but they all just look like a whole screen full of bullets nowadays , therefore they'd all be quite hard to me :(

Tell me about it. ITs like its the Japanese way of making shooters "better than evar" or something. Personally I don't think its a solution. I know Star Soldier PSP does this, especially on Hard & God modes. Playing with a pad amidst a billion bullets is a S&M approach to schmup gaming if you ask me.

What makes a schmup better IMO is when very little memorization is necessary, but you get barraged in intelligent ways from the enemy. Also, I'd love to see more schmups where not only can the player destroy more NPCs and borders/backgrounds, but allow ALL bosses to be destroyed piece by piece with a fair amount of detail. Not in blocks but literally, the polysprites change form when hit in the appropriate place. Perhaps schmups exist now that do this, and if so I'd love to find them. So far have been unable to find them on www.shoothecore.com however.

Back on topic: amongst shmups I've played I'd say Viewpoint, Pulstar, Gaiares, All Gradius games (not Salamader, as that is easy), and Ikaruga (which I didn't like much). I remember TG16 version of Raiden being hard as hell as well.

Haven't played really any post-16-bit schmups so can't comment on them.

Last edited:

JACKBURTON

n00b
R-type 2 pc engine rock hard me and my mates have competitions to see who can get the furthest with out smashing a pad.
Im abit mad tho the harder the shooter the more i like toplay it!!!
Also Mars Matrix can make my head explode when the screens filled with bullets galore.
Hard as nails shooters Rock

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Image Fight make me wanna break a Hucard. At least I feel like I'm making progress in Pulstar if I practice.

Kiken

Camel Slug
JACKBURTON said:
R-type 2 pc engine rock hard

Ummm.... R-Type 2 PC-E is just levels 5-8 from the original R-Type. Granted, should you die in the second half of stage 7 you might as well just turn off the game.

J

jpj

too true. r-type is great, but at some sections, when you've lost your powerups, the game is nigh-on impossible. compartively, pulstar (while being rock hard!) is completely do-able after you've lost a life & restarted without powerups.

which is why pulstar is better!!!

i like shoot-em-ups to be tough, but not unfair. try playing r-type 2 from the psone double pack............

also, ikaruga is really not that hard. the trick is obviously to chain the levels as much as possible. and with each 3 million, you 1 extra life. so if you can get 3million approx on each level, you've then got 1 life spare come the boss fight. and judge how well/easy you can chain certain sections. and if you can't chain something, don't shoot!

my vote would be gradius III.

Kiken

Camel Slug
jpj said:
too true. r-type is great, but at some sections, when you've lost your powerups, the game is nigh-on impossible. compartively, pulstar (while being rock hard!) is completely do-able after you've lost a life & restarted without powerups.

which is why pulstar is better!!!

i like shoot-em-ups to be tough, but not unfair. try playing r-type 2 from the psone double pack.............

The only section of R-Type that becomes undoable after death is the second half of stage 7. Aside form that, I don't find continuing at any other point in R-Type any different from the various continue points in Pulstar.

And yes, I have R-Types for PSOne. Arcade R-Type II is another story, which is why it's on this list.

jpj said:
also, ikaruga is really not that hard. the trick is obviously to chain the levels as much as possible. and with each 3 million, you 1 extra life. so if you can get 3million approx on each level, you've then got 1 life spare come the boss fight. and judge how well/easy you can chain certain sections. and if you can't chain something, don't shoot!

The arcade default Extend setting in Ikaruga is first extra life at 3 million and then every 5 million thereafter (read: 8 million, 13 million, 18 million, 23 million, 28 million etc...).

J

jpj

sorry, you are right. what i mean is that it is possible (for the first 3 levels for me) to earn more lives than i lose; so i reach stage 5 on about 3-5 lives left. my top score 22.5 million, but i average about 16-18.

but you understand what i mean re: powerups?

Sapphire

World Soccer '96
Radiant Silvergun
Pulstar
Viewpoint
Gynoug on the Mega Drive /Genesis :very_ang: :very_ang:
R-Type Part 2