Hori Fighting Stick PS vs SS

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
OK not a tech question but a comparison for interested parties.

I have heard good things about both these sticks, and I assumed they were basically equivalent because they were released at about the same time and look basically the same ...NOT TRUE!!! They should have named the PS the Fighting Stick P.O.S. (Piece of S---).

I already had an SS converted to neo for my SG when I bought my PS. I like the select button for coin/select(my SS uses a turbo switch) so I bought a PS for a 2nd controller.

When I got it I first noticed the buttons, the action felt VERY different, and the entire control felt very light. I opened it up, and here are the differences:

SS - vs- PS

Metal top --- Plastic top
real switches in buttons --- rubber contact completes circuit on board (like in a digital psx pad, nes pad, etc.)
extra contacts for each button on pcb (easy to rewire for other applications) -- extra contacts covered with white non-conductive coating (not easy to rewire)
two sided button pcb (easy for wiring) -- pcb contact only on top side (must remove pcb to work on)

Basically the PS feels and looks like it was much cheaper to manufacture, and the quality suffers because of it. I will keep the PS, but i'll be on the lookout for another SS to use instead.

Q's? Comments?

cheers,
-DT

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
You should be able to gut the PS stick, install sanwa parts and go from there.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
What size of sanwa button would these holes be?

For now I'm probably just going to clean it well and convert it as-is. I was just blown away by how much different the PS and SS are.

cheers,
-DT

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Hori made a PS stick with a metal top, but they are hard to find. Whenever I see them on Ebay, people must want it badly because they always sell for more than they probably should.

If you decide to add Sanwa buttons to your PS Hori stick, I recommend using the Snap-In type buttons. The Screw-In buttons are way too tight and it's a pain in the butt.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
PS has a plastic top? mine is deffo metal. It has stock Siemitsu buttons in it too. The best stick ever IMO.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Damnit. I've been after a second one of these for ages now. If only they shipped to the UK I'd snap that up.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I'm sure my SS Hori stick has a plastic top and those crummy buttons too :(

Weird

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I dunno, I guess so, There must me some kind of 'Limited Run' which has superior parts.

My SS Hori stick has a sanwa stick, but the buttons are those rubber based 'pad' type with a solid top.

the base is metal, but I am very sure the top is plastic. Might be worth picking up some sanwa buttons.

zapatistab

J0e Musashi said:
So is there two versions of each of them?

Yes, but Hori made two different styles with a metal top. The other version w/metal top is shaped like the current Hori Soul Caliber stick. But it's black with colored buttons, like the square version. I have't seen that version around in a while.

Found a link:http://nfg.2y.net/sales/html/EpAulkkuuEdrsFhvWK.html

Last edited:

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
OK, got home, dug out my 'Fighting Stick SS', Opened it up, and it does have the crummy 'pad' style buttons, but they pop out just like sanwa clip in buttons so it should be very easy to convert it.

The model number of my stick (with plastic top) is HSS-07

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
beh3moth said:
OK, got home, dug out my 'Fighting Stick SS', Opened it up, and it does have the crummy 'pad' style buttons, but they pop out just like sanwa clip in buttons so it should be very easy to convert it.

The model number of my stick (with plastic top) is HSS-07

Uh...yeah. My SS with the metal top and switch buttons is model number HSS-07 as well.

So I guess I was wrong about PS vs SS, it's actually crappy SS vs good SS and crappy PS vs good PS.

I've never seen the SS with a plastic top and fake switches, got any pics? At least the PS I got was dirt cheap.

The other variety of Hori PS with the metal top is the Hori "Real Arcade PS" which is a bit different from the "Fighting Stick PS" but basically they are the same.

I wonder why Hori abruptly turned the SS and PS from kick-ass pieces of hardware to about what I would expect from a $13 "arcade stick" from gamestop (aka a piece of crap).

cheers,
-DT

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Yeah here you go.

Its not crap, it just needs 'slight modification' hehehe then it will be a great stick!

03092005.jpg

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
So let me get this straight: there are 3 different PS versions of this stick?

1. crappy plastic, fake buttons
2. metal ball stick, metal casing
3. metal ball stick, shaped like the soul calibur one.

Does anyone know how much the metal stick weighs? I'm looking for another PS2 stick, since I didn't like my HRAP (sold it).

zapatistab

Dreamer said:
So let me get this straight: there are 3 different PS versions of this stick?

1. crappy plastic, fake buttons
2. metal ball stick, metal casing
3. metal ball stick, shaped like the soul calibur one.

Does anyone know how much the metal stick weighs? I'm looking for another PS2 stick, since I didn't like my HRAP (sold it).

Ebay is your best bet. They usually sell between $15-$50. Or ask in the market place. Someone might have one. I have a Hori PS stick with White Sanwa buttons and new microswtiches (taken from a Sanwa stick PCB) that I never use, but unfortunately it's the plastic version.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Here's a pic of the PS version, anyone got a clue which version this is? Does the metal version have a black ball?

horistick.jpg

zapatistab

Dreamer said:
Here's a pic of the PS version, anyone got a clue which version this is? Does the metal version have a black ball?

horistick.jpg

Yes, that's the plastic version. I don't think the ball top matters, becasue the one I have came with a black ball top.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Yes, that's the plastic version. I don't think the ball top matters, becasue the one I have came with a black ball top.

ok thanks, so what are the main differences between the plastic and metal ones? Just the buttons and stick or the casing too?

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
My PS has the metal top and came with a grey ball top. The metal top stick weighs quite a lot. It's pretty sturdy.

Both the metal top and the plastic top Hori Fighting Stick PS are the first version released in 1994.
The version shaped like the Soul Caliber stick is the Hori Fighting Stick PS 2 released 2004.

Last edited:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Dreamer said:
ok thanks, so what are the main differences between the plastic and metal ones? Just the buttons and stick or the casing too?

lol, one is metal, the other is plastic.....
The actual parts inside are the same. Its just the the plastic version buttons are not switched.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
ok...I'm still a little confused...by "top" do you mean the ball of the stick is metal or the top of the casing is metal??? :conf: