Played Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition for the first time...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Holy shit, this game is just awful. Honestly, the only good things I can think about this game is the intro and maybe some of the music.

This being the only fighter on the Hyper I've played, tell me: is this the worst fighter on it, or is there worse? :oh_no:

I mean...this is just horrible.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Horrible lies. Ignore this man, people of the forum.

Simply lies... :oh_no:

Did you play the REAL game or the port?

Asura

Hardened Shock Trooper
LoneSage said:
Holy shit, this game is just awful. Honestly, the only good things I can think about this game is the intro and maybe some of the music.

This being the only fighter on the Hyper I've played, tell me: is this the worst fighter on it, or is there worse? :oh_no:

I mean...this is just horrible.

Yep, it is the worst fighter game on the Hyper 64. If you have the oportunity try to get Bukiri One (of the hook :buttrock: ) or Samurai Shodown: Warrior Rage (just if you are fan of the series)

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Asura said:
Yep, it is the worst fighter game on the Hyper 64. If you have the oportunity try to get Bukiri One (of the hook :buttrock: ) or Samurai Shodown: Warrior Rage (just if you are fan of the series)

Actually, Wild Ambition was the best fighting game on the Hyper64. Even if you weren't a fan of Real Bout 2 (the gameplay was basically a continuation of RB2), the control was very tight, the game had a good combo system (standard starters and stun combos, along with a RB2-style juggle system that made intuitive sense), and the heat meter system was easily the best in any Fatal Fury game, and one of the best in any fighting game (attacking a lot built up your meter, defending / blocking drains your meter, having an empty meter causes you to get dizzied). Very much favored strong offensive strategies and was brutal for turtles. I really feel that more fighting games should [have] adopt[ed] the heat meter system, because it was awesome for full-on offense players like me.

Other than Buriki 1, it was also the second best looking H64 fighter (the Samurai games look like crap, both by themselves and in comparison), and even though most of the animations didn't seem too hard-hitting (other than Raiden's grapples, which looked great), they worked just fine. Wild Ambition also had the best version of Raiden/Big Bear in any game to date, way better than his garbage CVS version. Geese, Yamazaki,

Buriki 1 was really a hit-or-miss kind of game, and the only time most arcade players even bothered with it, in my experience, was to scrub out with Rob Python and wiggle the sticks like crazy. The Samurai Shodown games were both garbage that no self-respecting fighting game fan should waste any time on. Wild Ambition, on the other hand, was as solid as it got on the Hyper64. Don't be fooled by the lousy Playstation port.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
FFWA lousy?? What game were you playing?

My favorite part of the game are the beautiful backgrounds. Andy's stage is amazing.

The gameplay is good (I think Real Bout 2's gameplay is tighter) Give the game another chance! The graphics are really clean and the gameplay is a lot of fun. It's really cool if you've played a lot of the Real Bout series. It's the reason I got a Hyper 64 board. Buriki One is FUCKING GOD TIER. Don't have the sam sho's yet.

EX_Andy said:
The Samurai Shodown games were both garbage that no self-respecting fighting game fan should waste any time on.

Seriously, what the heck are you smoking!?!

If you don't have them, fine.
If you don't know how to play them, I might understand.
But calling them garbage, it is a blasphemy!

And yes, FFWA is the weaker of the Hyper Neo-Geo 64 fighting games.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Charles Franklin Fernandez said:

It's called reality.

If you don't have them, fine.
If you don't know how to play them, I might understand.
But calling them garbage, it is a blasphemy!

Actually, I gave both games plenty of time before I wrote them off as being garbage, which they are. I was among the first to get my hands on the game on the West Coast of the US when it first came stateside, as it turns out. There was no lack of knowledge on how to play them, they were just both horrible, with the second being even worse than the first, considering the horrible frame rate that made you feel like you were fighting underwater.

And yes, FFWA is the weaker of the Hyper Neo-Geo 64 fighting games.

Not to someone who knows fighting games, no.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
EX_Andy said:
It's called reality.

Actually, I gave both games plenty of time before I wrote them off as being garbage, which they are. I was among the first to get my hands on the game on the West Coast of the US when it first came stateside, as it turns out. There was no lack of knowledge on how to play them, they were just both horrible, with the second being even worse than the first, considering the horrible frame rate that made you feel like you were fighting underwater.

This game is hardly like Tekken. You've described Tekken to a 'tee'.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Actually, having all the fighters for H64, I don't think any of them are BAD. Some better than others...but they are all good. Buriki is the shit. All the H64 fighters play better than KOF: MI.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
KOF MI made me want to stab myself in the face.

Fatal Fury Wild Ambition is awesome. An extension of the beautiful Real Bout series. Great graphics and gameplay, it would have given Street Fighter EXplusalpha a run for it's money if the PSX version was done right.

We're on the verge of FLAMES in the hyper 64 board YEAH!!! It's nice to see the hyper getting some action.

I'm gonna fire up my board and give it some action tomorrow ... oh yeah.

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Actually, having all the fighters for H64, I don't think any of them are BAD. Some better than others...but they are all good. Buriki is the shit. All the H64 fighters play better than KOF: MI.

agreed.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
And lets be fair, the Samurai Spirits on the Hyper are great games as well.

Perhaps they look like PSX games, but I really enjoy them.

And I prefer the first to the second on the 64.

Take that. :envy:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:

I do too! It feels good to come out and say it. The presentation on the 2nd is more polished, but the first one is more fun to me.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
I do too! It feels good to come out and say it. The presentation on the 2nd is more polished, but the first one is more fun to me.

The 2nd has parrying, but I can't get the timing down. :(

And the 2nd looks better graphically, but something is missing.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
The 2nd has parrying, but I can't get the timing down. :(

And the 2nd looks better graphically, but something is missing.

the 2nd feels slower to me for some reason.

now I can't wait to get home and load these up!

EX_Andy said:
It's called alternate reality.
Fixed.

EX_Andy said:
Please humor me and give a more detailed explanation of all their faults.

EX_Andy said:
If you think that you have a phd in fighting games, then more power to you. But as you said it earlier, reality dictates that FFWA is the weakest one. Yes, like you I am stating my opinions like fact.

Last edited:

Asura

Hardened Shock Trooper
Magnaflux said:
And lets be fair, the Samurai Spirits on the Hyper are great games as well.

Perhaps they look like PSX games, but I really enjoy them.

Take that. :envy:

That's true...there's something about the SS64, I migth say Fun Factor!! Even tho WR have more players and looks better the first one the SS64 feels more like a SS game than WR. I don’t know if it’s me but that’s the way I see it.

About FFWA I used to like it when I first played it on PSX but when I play it now in the NGH64, it’s like I lost interest on it. Maybe it is all the time that have passed since the first time I played on the PSX and now playing it on the NGH64, I’ll give it a try today and I’ll let you know what I think of it.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Hooked up my 64 again today and played FFWA for an hour. I love this game. It really feels like an extension of the Real Bout series. The visuals are amazing. The super moves look really good. There are ton of cool RB chains.

The only thing I can see to complain about are the new characters. Their designs are crap (the old guy's stage is good though)

I prefer the 2d Snk fighters to FFWA anyday, but it's a fun game and really satisfying if you want to play some more Real Bout.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Haha, there's a few people saying WA is great, everyone who hates it is foolish, and then a couple saying it sucks balls, what are you guys smoking...good stuff.

Anyways, yeah, I played the real WA. I played for around ten minutes as Terry, and it was just cock 'n balls as far as I'm concerned. Pulling off a chain of combos was hard, I dunno mang, but I had a helluva time pulling off some supers.

In conclusion!

Tekken Tag and fucking Toshinden are better than this game...it'll take a lot for me to waste two quarters for just dicking around with a joystick and pushing buttons hopelessly trying to pull something cool off again.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
I played for around ten minutes as Terry, and it was just cock 'n balls as far as I'm concerned. Pulling off a chain of combos was hard, I dunno mang, but I had a helluva time pulling off some supers.

10 minutes? Plus, just sounds like you suck.....MANG

LoneSage said:
Tekken Tag and fucking Toshinden are better than this game...

retarded

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Haha, there's a few people saying WA is great, everyone who hates it is foolish, and then a couple saying it sucks balls, what are you guys smoking...good stuff.

Anyways, yeah, I played the real WA. I played for around ten minutes as Terry, and it was just cock 'n balls as far as I'm concerned. Pulling off a chain of combos was hard, I dunno mang, but I had a helluva time pulling off some supers.

In conclusion!

Tekken Tag and fucking Toshinden are better than this game...it'll take a lot for me to waste two quarters for just dicking around with a joystick and pushing buttons hopelessly trying to pull something cool off again.

In Conclusion

• One who judges a game entirely based on 10 minutes is a tool.
  • One who says or types "mang" is a tool
  • Tekken is rubbish - Yay! first one to the 60-70% juggle wins!
  • You have no skill

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
LoneSage said:

Ummm... different people have different opinions? Also no one says it sucks balls except you. You played for 10 minutes?? 1 character?? Now your saying Toshinden and Tekken are better.

In conclusion... you're a person who doesn't understand the glory of WILD AMBITION.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Haha, there's a few people saying WA is great, everyone who hates it is foolish, and then a couple saying it sucks balls...

In conclusion!
In conclusion, if you don't like/can't play Wild Ambition, you probably don't like/can't play the Real Bout games = I can't talk to you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my opinion is: you suck. But that's just a theory.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Great game.

Tsugumi Sendo was a really fun character.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Real Bout series is great, if anything the graphics of WA just put me off. Damn, is it just me or is pulling off a super hard? Maybe if I spent more time with it, I dunno. Just figured since it's basically an off-shoot of the RB series the controls would be the same. or maybe it's the crack. who knows.

Perhaps one day I shall consider letting WA have the pleasure to have me play her, but no :mad: My ten nickels shall be spent better at a box social.

as for the "mang" stuff, I blame someone...maybe Chris Rock. I'm also the only person alive that still says hella, like hella cool! or hella awesome!

in that respect, yes, I am very toolish.