Hyper Driving Board Pinouts. Project Finished and Pics Added. REVIEW posted too. 56K

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Since I finally got off my ass and finished Beast Busters, another long overdue project is to get the Hyper driving games wired up and working.

Someone, anyone, please scan the manual or even the foldout wiring diagram for either game. I would really like to get these finished....

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Well it looks like I may have located a manual after all. Once I get it in I'll PDF it and have it available if anyone is interested.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NeoTurfMasta said:
Well it looks like I may have located a manual after all. Once I get it in I'll PDF it and have it available if anyone is interested.

That would be Great!!
Thanks..

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Got the manual today and scanned it to PDF. I got a xerox copy so the last, and most crucial page, got cut off. I am assuming the pin 1 of the steering pot is Blue. From there you can trace it back to the board.

I am going to work on this this week and if there are any changes, I will make corrections.

ENJOY

www.2dlives.com/RoadsEdge.pdf

3.3Megs

I can post Beast Busters SN as well if anyone is interested.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NeoTurfMasta said:
Got the manual today and scanned it to PDF. I got a xerox copy so the last, and most crucial page, got cut off. I am assuming the pin 1 of the steering pot is Blue. From there you can trace it back to the board.

I am going to work on this this week and if there are any changes, I will make corrections.

ENJOY

3.3Megs

Awesome!!

Thank you so much for letting me know.. :buttrock:

Beast Busters would be cool too.

I can't seem to get the pdf open...Could you email it to me please....
PM with my email address coming..

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I know this is asking a lot. But could some day you post screen shots with game impressions. I would DROOOOOL.

Let us know how the driving games work out!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
I know this is asking a lot. But could some day you post screen shots with game impressions. I would DROOOOOL.

Let us know how the driving games work out!

No problem on pics and review. I have both Roads Edge and Xtreme Rally so I can show both.

Progress is going well on the project. Yesterday I managed to find a clearance PSX wheel/pedal set that is absolutely perfect for it. Got the pedals wired up and working today. Steering and shifter should be ready tomorrow. The only problem may be audio wiring. There are multiple speakers that are on a dedicated cab, and different audio comes out of the seat and dash speakers. Joining the two should be simple, but when I tried on the 64's Beast Busters SN, it really didnt like it.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Sweet. I didn't know there were two racing games. I'm assuming theyre made by SNK. That seems really cool to me, SNK making 3d off road and racing games. Wish I could play them.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
HPIM0387.JPG

Finished the controller today and it works great. Buttons on the wheel change the view and music tracks. I'll take some game pictures later on tonight. I'm not much of a reviewer, but I will try and throw something together here soon.

EDIT:
I updated the Manuals PDF and sent that and Beast Busters over to www.crazykong.com for him to host as well.

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Added Images. The Roads Edge images may look a little better because I can pause during the game. I just snapped lots at random, hopefully they will give you a good idea how the game looks.

XR has double the amount of cars you can pick from, and I think I remember seeing hidden cars selectable in one of my NGF mags....

HPIM0424.JPG

RE Images

HPIM0395.JPG

XR Images

Last edited:

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Wow, what a great effort! Thanks a lot for sharing the pics, the games look cool! :drool_2:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Roads Edge / Round Trip RV
Xtreme Rally / Offbeat Racer

Round Trip is a more suitable title for these games or at least a subtitle on both. Because that’s exactly what it is, a round trip. You start at one end of the track, go to the other, and back again. There are a couple shortcut paths in each level and you can decide on which way to go on the track when the street splits. Since this is a round trip on the same road, the opposing vehicles become oncoming traffic. This also happens if you decide to go against traffic on one of the road splits. This can prove to be annoying but the computer cars follow the rules of the road, meaning they stay on the opposite side. So the computer cars are the ones in danger from your driving.

Game Modes:

In RE and XR there are 2 game modes (3 if you count multiplayer), Trial and Championship. In Trial you are timed on the track you pick. Championship allows you to run through the three courses. It doesn’t matter what place you end in, as long as you still have time on the clock. Whatever place you end on, you start on in the next level. I placed 3rd on a full XR run and didn’t get any reward other than a crowd camera pan and GAME OVER Try Again. Guess you have to be in 1st to get something worth seeing.

Tracks:

There are 3 tracks in each game. In RE, the first (beginner) track is America. Basically a San Francisco setting, not a bad track nice and bright level. The second (advanced) is Asia, a city type level. With the third (expert) being Europe where you go through a town, to a farm area, to a snow covered mountain. The snow sucks by the way.

In XR, the first track is Asia, a night time city level. The second is South America, rough terrain and jungle. Third is Europe, has much more character than the other stages.

SNK throws just a taste of SNK fan stuff in there, banners, signs etc.. It definitely could have used some more SNK love.

Vehicles:

There are 4 "RVs" in Roads Edge, 2 trucks and 2 SUV's. There are no stats on the performances, and honestly I cant tell the difference. If there is one, its minimal. You can customize the color of the vehicle you select. If you pick the Land Rover, it will add a roof rack and decals. Unfortunately only one of the trucks has the Neo Geo logo on it.

Double the amount for Xtreme Rally. None of the vehicles look to be sponsored by a company this time around, but you have much more choice on what kind you want to drive. From a little hatch back, to hummer-like, trucks too.. They look a bit nicer in XR and you can customize the color again as well. This time around, they have difficulty levels on each. Again, I really cant tell much of a difference between them all. Some seem to be a bit faster, but all feel about the same. More experimenting is needed.

As with most racing games, you can select Manual or Automatic. However in Roads Edge there is a third choice being "Automatic 2" that has auto brake.

Music/SFX:

I wont be buying the OST anytime soon, or ever. Both games suffer from a poor selection, the best music to pick is "Music Off" from the four Background Music buttons. OK, the music isn't too too bad, but a few are VERY annoying.

The sound effects are pretty standard racing sounds, nothing too fancy. In RE you will get other drivers yelling at you or when you hit a jump a "Wooo Hoooo". I hated the Wooo Hooo at first, but it kind of grew on me.

Graphics:

It’s a Hyper 64, so it will look like a Hyper 64 game. Its better than PSX quality is all I can really say. I think XR is slightly better in the gfx department. The vehicles are more detailed in XR than RE, but the backgrounds are a mixed bag. In both games, the Europe stages stand out the most for me.

Game Play:

Given I am playing it with a rigged PSX wheel/pedal combo I cant comment on wheel force-feedback or how the cab feels. The wheel and pedals pass the bios I/O tests and perform just like the dedicated arcade. The control is tight and feels just right for an off road game. Taking tight turns seems a bit difficult, but other than that I have no problems. The different vehicles in XR have slightly different handling. Hardcore racing game players may be able to tell the differences more than I can.

Some of the shortcuts in the levels provide a small cut in your overall time. As expected, some of the shortcuts can be a bit hard to get to if there are cars in the way and you risk hitting a wall and losing even more time. Once you get used to where they are, you can get to them pretty easily. Taking them is crucial in the last levels where you only have a couple of seconds before the checkpoint.

It is possible to drift in the game as well which is a necessity on the last levels. You have to have manual transmission and during the turn shift into a lower gear and you will drift.

Overall:

Being a round trip is a slightly different take on a standard racing theme, but not much else is unique. It may not be normal to rate both games in the same review, but they are basically the same thing. Xtreme Rally is more of an upgrade with the additional cars and different tracks.

I have always preferred off road type racing games over all others. Off road fans who are also SNK fanatics, will probably like the game. For everyone else, they will avoid it because of the Hyper's dated 3D graphics.

EDIT: Review Update

After playing Xtreme Rally a lot, I have to say the control is a huge improvement over Roads Edge. There is quite a bit of annoying uncontrolable skidding in Roads Edge that just isnt there in XR. After playing XR for several hours, I went back to RE and couldnt stand the control.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Neoturfmaster- Thank you. You are ace. Those games and screen shots look pretty cool. Definately the neo64 graphics. It's just so strange that SNK dumped so much money into these games.

If I see this at the gamecenter I'm definately going to try it out!

lovecraft

n00b
This is awesome !
NeoTurfMasta, the manual no longer downloads :crying:
Anyone can reupload it ?

The main problem is finding these games: have you ever seen a Road's Edge or Xtreme Rally pcb on sale ?! :cool:

By the way, is it possible to wire a home console steering wheel to a Supergun to make racing games working ?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Hey Waseem, did you ever get that BB2nd Nightmare cab working?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is all excellet news Neo Masta, I'm so psyched for you man! Did you ever see them brazilian dedicated repro's for the racing NGH64 games?

lovecraft

n00b

ENJOY

3.3Megs

It's unfortunate the link is dead and nobody re-upload it :(

beastie

n00b
neo geo driving board

Since I finally got off my ass and finished Beast Busters, another long overdue project is to get the Hyper driving games wired up and working.

Someone, anyone, please scan the manual or even the foldout wiring diagram for either game. I would really like to get these finished....

i have the same board can you explain to me how to connect the stering wheel to this board .

tanks

Roads Edge / Round Trip RV
Xtreme Rally / Offbeat Racer

Game Play:

Given I am playing it with a rigged PSX wheel/pedal combo I cant comment on wheel force-feedback or how the cab feels.QUOTE]

Hello, it's possible to explain please ?
I would like to do this for my driving motherboard. :)