Beast Busters SN Jammafied Fun (56K Warning)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I normally dont post things like this, but since there is a lack of Hyper 64 love, I thought I would.

Had the BB board for about 2 years now and never did anything with it. Finally got around to converting it to jamma with a flight stick for the gun. I had some original BBSN gun's minus the plastic casing, but trying to store and mount 30 pound guns proved annoying. So the next best thing (for me) was to hack up a Top Gun flight stick. I was able to use all the original parts inside the Top Gun stick wich was a major time saver and total luck.

Wont bore you all with the wiring details, so here are some pics to check out.

Works perfectly with the TG stick, bought a second one tonight so I can wire up second player.

BB1.JPG

BB2.JPG

BB3.JPG

Additional Pics under:
http://www.2dlives.com/BBSN

I need to get the Driving Board pinouts so I can wire up a wheel, etc..

Last edited:

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That is pretty nice. Any way you could hook up a gun from an older console (rewire) and use that? Is the flight stick easily manipulated?

Could you take pics of the motherboard itself and post them into this LINK?

I haven't seen the shooter board (or the driving one for that matter) and would like to see the differences to the two fighting boards.

Thanks!

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
That's awesome. I've never seen this game in the arcade. If you get time you should post some more pics and impressions of the gameplay.

Thanks!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The beast buster guns arent really light guns at all. They work just like analog flight sticks, which is why I chose that instead of another bulky gun. The flight stick moves great, its easy to get used to.

I'll see if I can get more board pics tonight.

edit: adding some pics

This is what the inside of the guns look like. There are no optics at all. The gun uses potentiometers for X and Y movement, just like an analog joystick.

GUN1.jpg

GUN2.jpg

GUN3.jpg

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
/\ I'll be damned! Thanks for posting those pics, very interesting. I would have just assumed they were light guns.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Whoa, I thought that game used real optical guns, now I understand why using the joysticks is the best idea. Congrats! :buttrock:

doughboy

Lurker.
Those gun pics are very interesting.

As said already, I'd assumed they were optical.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Typically, any guns that are mounted directly on arcade cabs are analog joysticks in gun casings.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So I just got a Steel Gunners 2 PCB and I need a stick like this, ebay has one for $40 shipped-ish. Any similar guns I can use for this that are cheaper? From what the manual reads it looks like the pots within the gun control the actual positioning on the screen so a joytick can not be used.

I realize this isn't actually HNG64 related but I will also be using the gun for BBSN when I get it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Typically, any guns that are mounted directly on arcade cabs are analog joysticks in gun casings.

Word of caution:
I believe that the Operation Wolf doesn't use joysticks.

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Since the death of the above board I bought another one and got it working. This time I made it 3 player compatible and will be using the TopGun sticks for all three. That is, until I can get me a cheap set of old arcade guns. Those things are heavy, large and a pain to store and travel. My main goal is to have a "portable" dual Beast Busters box that I can switch between BB1 and Second Nightmare.

All this to say, part one of the capture walk-through is uploaded to YouTube. Just did the attract/intro video for now. I should have the full walk-through captured in a few days. Maybe even tomorrow if I have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojAi5zu8kDA

Not sure how long it will take YouTube to process it, but just keep trying I suppose.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cool vid, post it as a response to one of my SNK vids.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think when I mod my top gun stick I'm gonna add some suction cups the the bottom.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
ithink this thread needs to be revived with a "how-to"

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Agreed. The only thing keeping me from tracking down and getting a Second Nightmare is a how-to to modify it to a regular controller

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
OK guys. I'll get a write-up going, but it will be made under the impression you already have knowledge of making superguns. The main focus will be on the gun wiring as that seems to be the biggest concern.

I'll also get a driving setup written up as well as I am helping another forum member with his.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I can host it on my site if you want as well as here.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
wip.jpg

Getting there. Since the BB board doesnt have a Jamma edge, you have to build your own. The majority of the first page will be identifying every pinout of the required connectors.

This should be done by Friday. Actually I'll wait till saturday, it marks 4 years to the day that I opened the thread :)

James, I will also send you a mod for the Driving board. If you plug in a Driving board without the network/link adapter, it wont boot into the game, just a cycling connecting screen. Since all my driving boards came with the network/link adapter, I never had the problem or noticed it until another member had problems.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks Brian, I got it and put it on the site under the Hyper 64 section. Shoot me an email when you got this one down.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The tutorial is up on my site under Tutorials>Neo>Hyper 64

Thanks NTM.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks for the turorial...now I can finally (when I have more cash) try to modify the board for home shooter goodness!