Thread: Beast Busters SN Jammafied Fun (56K Warning)

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!
    They call me Hell. They call me stacey. They call me her. They call me Jane. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. ☭

Beast Busters SN Jammafied Fun (56K Warning)

I normally dont post things like this, but since there is a lack of Hyper 64 love, I thought I would.

Had the BB board for about 2 years now and never did anything with it. Finally got around to converting it to jamma with a flight stick for the gun. I had some original BBSN gun's minus the plastic casing, but trying to store and mount 30 pound guns proved annoying. So the next best thing (for me) was to hack up a Top Gun flight stick. I was able to use all the original parts inside the Top Gun stick wich was a major time saver and total luck.

Wont bore you all with the wiring details, so here are some pics to check out.

Works perfectly with the TG stick, bought a second one tonight so I can wire up second player.

Additional Pics under:
    http://www.2dlives.com/BBSN

I need to get the Driving Board pinouts so I can wire up a wheel, etc..
    Last edited by NeoTurfMasta; 06-07-2005 at 11:16 AM.

Mickey's Coach

That is pretty nice. Any way you could hook up a gun from an older console (rewire) and use that? Is the flight stick easily manipulated?

Could you take pics of the motherboard itself and post them into this LINK?

I haven't seen the shooter board (or the driving one for that matter) and would like to see the differences to the two fighting boards.

Thanks!
    In dog years, I would be dead.

My Collection

That's really cool, although using guns would be nicer I guess...

Here's some info on modding console lightguns to arcade boards:

http://chadsarcade.co.uk/oldsite/gunmod.htm

Land of the Rising Bling:

That's awesome. I've never seen this game in the arcade. If you get time you should post some more pics and impressions of the gameplay.

Thanks!

PSN Name: jakeUSA (Add me and say you're from neo-geo.) Playing PSVR at the moment.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!
    They call me Hell. They call me stacey. They call me her. They call me Jane. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. ☭

The beast buster guns arent really light guns at all. They work just like analog flight sticks, which is why I chose that instead of another bulky gun. The flight stick moves great, its easy to get used to.

I'll see if I can get more board pics tonight.

edit: adding some pics

This is what the inside of the guns look like. There are no optics at all. The gun uses potentiometers for X and Y movement, just like an analog joystick.

Last edited by NeoTurfMasta; 06-07-2005 at 02:11 PM.

KING of BLING
    [place bling here]

/\ I'll be damned! Thanks for posting those pics, very interesting. I would have just assumed they were light guns.
    ROT IS DELETING PHOTOBUCKET LINKS!... SOON... he'll be changing usernames... xROTx

Whoa, I thought that game used real optical guns, now I understand why using the joysticks is the best idea. Congrats!

Lurker.

Those gun pics are very interesting.

As said already, I'd assumed they were optical.
    MVH Slot 1T
    LVS-MA Hyper64
    Custom supergun
    DC arcade sticks

Typically, any guns that are mounted directly on arcade cabs are analog joysticks in gun casings.
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    I have to question your modus operandi, as you make statements about personal edification but choose to serve others in rather menial jobs. What would be to stop you from building the education to work a market to your advantage and provide your family with some kind of security? You're a pretty well read man. Don't tell me that you would rather work for small change and read spy novels than live the lives you read about. There's a time to move from fantasy into real life.
    Motivation.

JammaNationX

So I just got a Steel Gunners 2 PCB and I need a stick like this, ebay has one for $40 shipped-ish. Any similar guns I can use for this that are cheaper? From what the manual reads it looks like the pots within the gun control the actual positioning on the screen so a joytick can not be used.

I realize this isn't actually HNG64 related but I will also be using the gun for BBSN when I get it.

Thumbs up

Pretty slick mod.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSublime View Post
    Typically, any guns that are mounted directly on arcade cabs are analog joysticks in gun casings.
    Word of caution:
    I believe that the Operation Wolf doesn't use joysticks.
    Last edited by norton9478; 10-26-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    There was no immunity to cuckoo ideas on Earth.
    Here was the reason human beings could not reject ideas because they were bad: "Ideas on Earth were badges of friendship or enmity.
    Their content didn't matter. Friends agreed with friends, in order to express friendliness. Enemies disagreed with enemies, in order to express enmity.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Since the death of the above board I bought another one and got it working. This time I made it 3 player compatible and will be using the TopGun sticks for all three. That is, until I can get me a cheap set of old arcade guns. Those things are heavy, large and a pain to store and travel. My main goal is to have a "portable" dual Beast Busters box that I can switch between BB1 and Second Nightmare.

All this to say, part one of the capture walk-through is uploaded to YouTube. Just did the attract/intro video for now. I should have the full walk-through captured in a few days. Maybe even tomorrow if I have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojAi5zu8kDA

Not sure how long it will take YouTube to process it, but just keep trying I suppose.

KING of BLING
    [place bling here]

ithink this thread needs to be revived with a "how-to"
    ROT IS DELETING PHOTOBUCKET LINKS!... SOON... he'll be changing usernames... xROTx

Sho's Rival

Agreed. The only thing keeping me from tracking down and getting a Second Nightmare is a how-to to modify it to a regular controller

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

OK guys. I'll get a write-up going, but it will be made under the impression you already have knowledge of making superguns. The main focus will be on the gun wiring as that seems to be the biggest concern.

I'll also get a driving setup written up as well as I am helping another forum member with his.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Sure, feel free to host it.

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

Getting there. Since the BB board doesnt have a Jamma edge, you have to build your own. The majority of the first page will be identifying every pinout of the required connectors.

This should be done by Friday. Actually I'll wait till saturday, it marks 4 years to the day that I opened the thread

James, I will also send you a mod for the Driving board. If you plug in a Driving board without the network/link adapter, it wont boot into the game, just a cycling connecting screen. Since all my driving boards came with the network/link adapter, I never had the problem or noticed it until another member had problems.

Sho's Rival

Thanks for the turorial...now I can finally (when I have more cash) try to modify the board for home shooter goodness!

Bashful Neophyte

Thanks for this tutorial !

Thread Information