The Neo Geo Shooting Special

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Gotenks326 said:
And lastly, he often says that the sound is the same for the Neo CD and AES/MVS version except that it is digitzed. Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between the digitized and non-digitized tracks (It sounds good now, especially Pulstar's intro, but I'm not sure if it would sound worse on the MVS)?

If you mean whether the cart music transfered to cd sounds better on cd format, i'm not sure.........but most of the arranged music on the cd's blows the cart versions out of the water.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Baseley09 said:
If you mean whether the cart music transfered to cd sounds better on cd format, i'm not sure.........but most of the arranged music on the cd's blows the cart versions out of the water.
You are talking about how some Neo CD games have remixed versions of the AES/MVS releases, right? There aren't too many games like that, right?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Gotenks326 said:
You are talking about how some Neo CD games have remixed versions of the AES/MVS releases, right? There aren't too many games like that, right?

There are loads, typically it's games released before the Neo CD that have their original cart music. Most games released after Neo CD came out have remixed music and are some of the best soundtracks ever.

The remixed music is the best thing about the system.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Music is pretty important when it comes to games, but load times can really detract from that. That's the main reason why I don't want a Neo CD (The other being not all the AES/MVS games available for it and $$$); unbearable load times (I hear it is incredibly frustrating with fighters).

bUs

Zero's Secretary
Gotenks326 said:
Music is pretty important when it comes to games, but load times can really detract from that. That's the main reason why I don't want a Neo CD (The other being not all the AES/MVS games available for it and $$$); unbearable load times (I hear it is incredibly frustrating with fighters).

There are some good things about owning a CD system. As said before many games have remixed soundtracks but the main pro for me is that you save a ton in shipping costs (and the games are cheap) and the older games doesn't have that terribly loading times.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Baseley09 said:

Some of the music sounds the same (ex: Viewpoint) between the two versions (cart and CD), some of it has been remastered (ex: Pulstar.. the CD sounds cleaner and has added depth over the cart, but the tunes are the same), and some of it has been completely remixed (ex: Twinkle Star Sprites, the basic underlying tunes of the music are the same, but the CD's OST production quality takes full advantage of the medium).

There doesn't really appear to be any rhyme or reason behind which games were straight transfers, which were remastered and which were remixed (although, it would seem that most were remixed).

And just so you know, TSS suffers from a lot of slowdown, period. Unless you're playing the DC rev with the processing speed set to DC (instead of 68000-10MHz or MVS). Both the Saturn and PS2 versions of TSS also have the slowdown.

However, Pulstar seems to suffer more slowdown on the Neo CD than on the cart. I noticed this heavily in stage 7: if you watch the video of me playing the stage during the credits, you'll note that most of the time, the game is running at half speed. Recently playing the MVS cart, I've found that the very same stage suffers from very little slowdown. So I guess this is a result of how intensive the game program is on the Neo-CD's memory and how well the game-code is optimized by the division who did the cart-to-CD conversion.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
Awesome video man, great work. I was actually going to ask what a few of the Neo's best shooters were, and that video nailed it. It's a shame that the best ones are either ungodly expensive or mvs/cd only. (My newbish self only has AES)

And just like you said, Zed Blade was so Gunstar Heroes. The music, the effects... it's a good thing that gunstar super heroes is coming out soon.

All in all, a nice video. Thanks.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
I just noticed another thing - In the Blazing Star footage there would sometimes be numbers that would appear on the enemy you are attacking. What exactly is that? It isn't always there when you shoot, only sometimes. You can see what I'm talking about at the 01:15:20.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Gotenks326 said:
I just noticed another thing - In the Blazing Star footage there would sometimes be numbers that would appear on the enemy you are attacking. What exactly is that? It isn't always there when you shoot, only sometimes. You can see what I'm talking about at the 01:15:20.

Multiplier, when he grabs the winged thing, it adds a multiplier to the score for each enemy he kills, you can also get multilier for chaining enemies

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
Just saw it yesterday, I thought it was great and when me and friend watched it we were laughing at the jokes.

I hope u do another one soon, I'LL KILL U MOTHER FUCKER

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Gamefan must have changed his mind, anyone else willing to put it on a CD and send it to me?

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Did Kiken use Phantom-1 with Strikers 1945 Plus? I'm asking because I noticed that the charge shot for the Flying Pancake sometimes doesn't appear at all or is cut off (he uses the charge shot at 1:03:44 but nothing is shown).

Kiken

Camel Slug
Gotenks326 said:
Did Kiken use Phantom-1 with Strikers 1945 Plus? I'm asking because I noticed that the charge shot for the Flying Pancake sometimes doesn't appear at all or is cut off (he uses the charge shot at 1:03:44 but nothing is shown).

I am using a Phatom 1, however, what you're describing is a result of the capturing process. When I play the game, it displays perfectly.

The classic technique for drawing these effects is to display it during one field, but not the next (causing a flashing). The capture card has a tendancy to grab every other field when set to capture at 30 frames per second... as a result, any of those classic transparency flashes will either display nothing or will display completely solid (I would have to capture at a higher frame rate in order to capture the flashes as they appear). It's a very typical problem when capturing footage of a game that uses flashing to simulate tranparency (alpha channel or pixel shading will often capture correctly though).

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Kiken said:
I am using a Phatom 1, however, what you're describing is a result of the capturing process. When I play the game, it displays perfectly.

The classic technique for drawing these effects is to display it during one field, but not the next (causing a flashing). The capture card has a tendancy to grab every other field when set to capture at 30 frames per second... as a result, any of those classic transparency flashes will either display nothing or will display completely solid (I would have to capture at a higher frame rate in order to capture the flashes as they appear). It's a very typical problem when capturing footage of a game that uses flashing to simulate tranparency (alpha channel or pixel shading will often capture correctly though).

Just to tell you man, I'm at about 20 min into the vid and think it's TOTALLY AWESOME.

Seriously, you rock for this :buttrock:

Josh

Banned
I stumbled across this movie being on streamed on Google Video. I was going to post a thread, but I decided to use the search feature first. Anyway, I must say this was a very nice hour and 20 min NEO-GEO Shooter Review. I think I'm going to give a few shooters I ruled out as being lame a second shot (so to say). Thanks allot for your time and effort Kiken!

stealth

do not deal with this person
Very good effert kiken,
I see you saved the best 3 till the end:)

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Downloading this video now from your HTTP site. VERY FAST SPEEDS!! It says I am gonna have the whole file in less than 13 minutes! Im grabbing it at over 550kbs. :) Thanks for the video and the great speeds, I cant wait to watch it. :)

Well, I just watched it, and I really liked most of it, but, your opinions are a tad different than others Ive read (or seen) and everyones entitled to thier own opinions, so Im not saying your wrong really, but back in the day Alpha Mission II and Ghost Pilots got rave reviews from GamePro mag, and Ghost Pilots was a perfect score 5.0 all the way across (I still have all the old mags so I know) and after you said how poor it was I was a bit depressed, when I bought it ages ago it was fantastic, the graphics were awesome for its time, the music was really nice using Dolby Pro Logic systems, the sound fx were really nice as well, and the levels were long as hell making it a great shooter. But like I said to each his own. I enjoyed most of your reviews though, I just wish your voice wouldnt push so much air into the mic everytime you said something, it made it hard to hear what your saying most of the time mixed in with the loud Neo music, but it was fun to watch nevertheless and I thank you for taking the time out to make it, maby next time you can do a review of Last Hope while your at it.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dr. bump

Saw it a few days ago for the first time and enjoyed it; in the beginning the noise coming from the microphone was a bit distracting but I guess I got used to it.
Anyways, it was just interesting to see someone talk about these games, you actually make me want to play Viewpoint again...and I had no idea Ninja Commando didn't autoscroll, always thought it did. I'd still love to pick it up one day.
And it's always a good thing to see someone as enthusiastic about Blazing Star as me.

So Kiken, ever thought about doing a shooting special for other systems, or maybe of arcade exclusive games? Of course since other consoles have way more than 16 shmups you might break it down or whatever, but hey man, you should do more of these.

And oh yeah, ever thought about youtubing the vid?

Kiken

Camel Slug
LoneSage said:
Saw it a few days ago for the first time and enjoyed it; in the beginning the noise coming from the microphone was a bit distracting but I guess I got used to it.

Yeah, the popping was a distraction. It was the first time I had done a video with narration, so I chalk it up to a learning experience. I now know multiple ways to get rid of that extra noise, so the next video should be much better in terms of sound quality and balance.

LoneSage said:
So Kiken, ever thought about doing a shooting special for other systems, or maybe of arcade exclusive games? Of course since other consoles have way more than 16 shmups you might break it down or whatever, but hey man, you should do more of these.

Actually, I plan on doing one for the Dreamcast... as soon as they stop making shmups for the damn thing! ;) I really wanted to start production on it in the next month or so (Dreamcast: The Shooting)... but I'm hearing rumours about Fujino pushing for a small run of Exzeal on DC... I guess we'll find out in a couple of months if there's any truth to that. I'm going to postpone the video a bit longer (as I do want it to be complete... and not split into 2 different videos just to cover some stragglers).

I've also considered doing one for the Mega CD (since there's only 6 shmups for it). I figured doing a side-by-side comparison of both the PC-E SCD and MCD versions of Winds/Lords of Thunder would be a major part of the video.

LoneSage said:
And oh yeah, ever thought about youtubing the vid?

Well, someone did post it to GoogleVideo. I don't really bother with Youtube, personally, but if someone else would care to upload it, please feel free.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
It's been a couple years since I've "gamed". Today, I play more popular consoles casually (started renting about a game a month) rather than dropping huge amounts of cash on obscure arcade games and I've been humbled at how beautiful some of the neo shooters are (last resort, blazing star). They may have their flaws... but when you're stuck in that extravagant mindset where you've played and seen it all you lose all outside perspective... those flaws are all you see... you lose a bit of innocence. I never want to forget those criticisms I had, but damn does it feel good to get taken back once more by things you've already had the pleasure of experiencing. It's then you know how great a system and its games are.

TwinkleStar Sprites is my favorite.

Were any shooters left out? Brikenger? (there was a time I would check the master list for spelling)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Brikinger's in there as well (ah, can't remember where to put the apostrophe).

My favorite scene from Last Resort is still the opening scene of the first level; that definitely had to be influenced by Akira. So amazing.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Agreed, that was awesome.
Great service to neo fans and shooter fans!
Thank you :)

Man, I want viewpoint so baaaad :multi_co: