EU Consitution

• Oui

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Non

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'm not really into political debates because I think they're quite boring, so I'll keep it as short as possible...

List of bad points of the European constitution to me:

-Its nature. It's supposed to be something that applies for everyone, yet it's quite confusing, not clear, and out of reach for some people
-Some things in it can't be changed once set... Not flexible enough.
-Too similar to the US government (let's make money, fuck the poors, basically)... Not social enough.

Besides, campaigns against the no were quite stupid and unconvincing. They acted like it was a shameful thing to vote no, like the earth would stop spinning around if the No won etc...

My conclusion: it's just wrong to build something on a doubtful base like that, so I'd rather refuse it despite the fact it may mean slowing down our progression and staying a bit behind.

Robert

20 Year Member
Ok sorry guys for the delay. I'm glad Hmkay has brought some arguments. Here's my opinion.

Hmkay said:
-Its nature. It's supposed to be something that applies for everyone, yet it's quite confusing, not clear, and out of reach for some people

I would rather say that it's tough. I don't know if you see the difference. Taking one by one, the articles are understandable but it's their huge amount that makes the read difficult as a whole. But the constitution can't be a simple text, by the amount of things it has to take in account.
I agree that it's out of range for many people (and it makes me wonder why they made a referendum) but let me ask this question: Why does people give their opinion about something they don't understand? They could have voted blank.

Hmkay said:
-Some things in it can't be changed once set... Not flexible enough.

If you read the constitution of every country, you'll notice that some parts can't be changed to secure the unity of the country in itself. We are now in the process of building a real europe so we need to secure it by settling some statements.

Hmkay said:
-Too similar to the US government (let's make money, fuck the poors, basically)... Not social enough.

I didn't feel it this way but since I haven't read every articles, I could have missed a point. Please could you give us more precise details?
I would like to add something about the the fact that it's not social enough. I have noticed recently through articles that the right wing grows in many european countries so what tell you that the next one will be more social. Perhaps that by saying NO today, you give ways to a more liberal one in a near future.

Hmkay said:
Besides, campaigns against the no were quite stupid and unconvincing. They acted like it was a shameful thing to vote no, like the earth would stop spinning around if the No won etc..

I totally agree with you that threatening was a mistake. It doesn't explain anything and add to the fear of the constitution. But you can't say it had no effect on France or even on Europe. The euro and many french groups' shares are dropping in Value which shows the lack of confidence in France and Europe.
We try to convince the world that Europe can be an alternative to the USA. Now how do you want the other countries to take us seriously?
Here is a concrete proof. China, since the vote, as increased its fabrics ratio to Europe, taking profit of the europe's lack of unity. If in one year some textile companies close their doors, you can't say that it's not linked with the NO.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
en fait la constitution defendais a la fois le libre échange, et defndais la notion de protection social, et de service publique
cette constitution faisait un peu le grand écart pour arriver a reunir tout le monde. Elle avait surtout le tres garnd avatange de crée un socle pour crée quelque chose APRES
Un projet libéral ou sociale etait possible avec cette constitution
mais c'est un projet qu'on faisait apres ça
Maintenant le projet Européen est en panne

Robert

20 Year Member
kuk said:
en fait la constitution defendais a la fois le libre échange, et defndais la notion de protection social, et de service publique
cette constitution faisait un peu le grand écart pour arriver a reunir tout le monde. Elle avait surtout le tres garnd avatange de crée un socle pour crée quelque chose APRES
Un projet libéral ou sociale etait possible avec cette constitution
mais c'est un projet qu'on faisait apres ça
Maintenant le projet Européen est en panne

dommage pour ceux qui ne peuvent pas lire le français mais tu résumes très justement la situation.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Sorry for the people who can speak french, but i can not say all what i have on one's mind in english :crying: