The MVS Bootleg Forensic Thread

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Superfamifreak said:
Maybe someone could host a site with pictures of non boot carts of every release? Sure it would take a while to be complete, but then at least there wouldn't be 'Have I got a boot?' threads every day.

Just a suggestion.

This would be awesome. I'm up for it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Superfamifreak said:
It was up for a while but after I got out of prison it seemed to disappear :(

We need to bug the mods to sticky it.

,,,,.then posts like mine here I will edit with boot info to keep the topic full of boot info.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Maybe someone could host a site with pictures of non boot carts of every release?
yeah I'm down for this project, if you can get enough people to contribute it might work.

here are some pics of Viewpoint I took a while back

aria

Former Moderator
chris1 said:
We need to bug the mods to sticky it.

,,,,.then posts like mine here I will edit with boot info to keep the topic full of boot info.

What thread was it? Now that we have a dedicated boot forum, we could sticky it here.

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi all,
you're more than welcome to use the site i put up to host the original cart and bootleg/repair etc carts pics:
MVS Cart Recognition Site
Think the idea of having a proper stickied thread and/or sub-forum for boot recognition is great:) cracking idea!
Not wishing to derail the thread or detract from it, but I'm still after pics of PROG and CHA boards from all types of MVS carts, email them to me at: dannywhac-at-talk21.com (replace the -at- with @ ;) ) - contributors are credited on the image page.
Cheers,
Dan.

DarkHuman

Geese's Thug
ok, i've gotten boot stuff of ebay(and quickly sent it back) but if the cart is a diffrent color from what's on the neo-geo mvs cart list, it's a boot.

my svc chaos i don't think has a daughter board, let me see.........

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
LOVE THE PAGE DWHAC

I just picked up this Puzzle De Pon! to confirm it was legit.
If I have anything to contribute I will do so in the future.
Might I suggest a more attractive water marking though(white text)? :D
BB

SNK-Jorge

n00b
if my MOTW does not have a daughter board, is that okay? the rest is legit and it plays great? any problems that could come up in the future? (this is a japanese cart)

Drakon

New Challenger
hey sorry for the bump but I just got a copy of world heroes perfect for my MVS from ebay and I'm trying to determine if it's a bootleg or not. Now my camera is TERRIBLE so I'm going to have to describe the fuzzy pictures you're about to see. Here's the top board

top%20board.jpg

here's the bottom board

bottom%20board.jpg

here's some number sticker on the side

serial%20maybe.jpg

number on the side says just "4865"

the boards are the right shape and right colour and have all the regular snk markings on them so the boards seem fine. Now to the rom chips

if you look at this picture

neochips.jpg

looking at the markings on the second chip from the top, that's the type of marking on all the chips on these boards. Doesn't say "sharp" or "toshiba" but looks exactly the same as the second one from the top

so anyway I referred to the master list

090 is world heroes perfect

on the top board on the left side the middle one is marked "064" which according to the master list is world heroes 2 jet. The rest of the chips on the top board are market 090

on the bottom board 6 of the chips are marked 064 and the rest are marked 090.

If there's any other information that will help you determine if this is a bootleg don't hesitate to ask me. And thanks for any help

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Looks Legit to me...

I have never saw this game booted either..so your goo to go..

Enjoy that awesome game!!

Drakon

New Challenger
Looks Legit to me...

I have never saw this game booted either..so your goo to go..

Enjoy that awesome game!!

oh I will I love world heroes perfect. So it's normal for it to have rom chips on it from world heroes 2 jet?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, WHP was more like a revision and not entirely new.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You're not saying that WHP actually uses a rom from WH2 Jet? I need to check mine. That would be weird.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Some fatal fury games do the same as well. It's probably a rom with some characters on it that never changed.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
You're not saying that WHP actually uses a rom from WH2 Jet? I need to check mine. That would be weird.

WHP uses some ROMs from WH Jet, it's confirmed, they 're labelled 064 as in WH Jet cart. Someone posted the pics of WHP boards :

I noticed legit MVS carts can use Toshiba, Oki, Fujitsu, Sony or Sharp chips, only these 5 ones on all the carts I opened.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Wow, some new game. It uses actual roms from the previous one. That's taking it a little far.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A number of KOF and FF games do the same as well.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I never knew that. I've always assumed the data had at least been rearranged and slightly altered enough so that it wasn't possible to just use whole roms from previous games. That seems just too lazy to me. We should try to make a list of which games use older games' roms. It would maybe say something about which games in the series are the most updated.

Drakon

New Challenger
okay here's a fun one. I took a chance and bought a cheap neo drift out cart from yaton (mr. y-plus technologoes). Came to 50$ canadian. So it arrived today. The label on the cart just says "drift out". The label is on upside down and has no serial number lol. So I cracked this baby open and here's what I found

top pcb

top%20pcb.jpg

okay...it's a SNK board.....all eeproms.....says 1994 on it.....

bottom board

bottom%20pcb.jpg

again....all eeproms.....snk board....says 1997 on it....

so did I somehow get a legit copy or just a nicely made bootleg? There's no signs of hand soldering...but the fact it's 100% eeproms and the label is on upside down is kinda ......weird....and the fact that the top and bottom boards have different dates on them

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From Yaton, if it says "100% working" it's a boot, he puts "original" when it's original.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's a boot. The real one shouldn't have all eproms.

Drakon

New Challenger
So today I was playing my neo drift out boot edition on my friends cab. Plays just like the real thing. So yeah....good quality boot.....too bad the real ones cost so much....