"AES"

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
Hey there people. I've been thinking about it, and the term "AES" really bugs me... Why do people use it? Where did it come from? Did SNK officially coin that term? As far as I can tell it's a stupid buzz word NGF concocted, and for some reason it stuck. Something else that bugs me is that it's only used to refer to home cartridges. AES stands for "Advanced Entertainment System", correct? As far as I can tell Neo Geo CD games are probably more advanced than their ROM-cart counterparts due to the fact that they are on CDs, and they are just as much entertainment last I checked... So shouldn't I be able to say "I have this nice shiny Last Blade 2 AES CD"? I dunno, something about the term "AES" just seems kinda silly... Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just say "home cart", "MVS" or "CD" respectively? Does anybody else agree with me about that? It seems (if it was a term invented by NGF)that as much as people, myself included, want to forget about NGF as people and as a business they would stop using that term and call them by their real names. Who agrees with me? Anybody?

--Thanks
Çhâïñ§åw ¥àK
http://hivebalur.net/txk/

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
look on the front of the AES system box and it says ADVANCED ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM...hmmmmm there we go

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I agree, it seems like NGF pushed the "AES" term, and I don't like it much either.

I much prefer home cart, MVS cart, and CD as terms for the respective media.

The Neo Geo's sub-name is "Advanced Entertainment System" (and don't forget the "Pro Gear Spec" phrase they used on the box, and in games as well). But that's no reason to call the games "AES" cartridges. I'd sooner use "home carts" myself . . .
biggrin.gif

D

DigiPunk

Agreed. "AES" seems kinda hokey to me. If that, why not "PGS" for Pro Gear Spec?? I prefer home cart also..

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pro Gear Spec PGS
kinda catchy

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
The NGF site was the first place I saw "AES" used. I've been into the neo scene for years and never heard it used until about a year ago. Unconverted max 330 mega pro gear spec cartridge recepticle should be the new name.

C

Caris Nautilus

NGF were the first people that really used AES alot. I think the term is quite gay myself.

I just say MVS, Home Cart and CD.

The "Advanced Entertainment System" was never meant to be the term for the home cart games, It was just a tag line for people to buy it, So AES is kinda weird to use.

------------------
psdmini.gif

http://prizmdash.cjb.net

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
I agree, it's a Dion invented term and should no longer be used. Personally I have never used the term "AES" to describe anything. I think it's stupid.

Ryan

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Someones post a few months back explained that AES is not the correct term, the reason people have used AES is that it appears on the Motherboard for the "Advanced Entertainment System" and MVS on the MVS arcade board... on the inside of the cartridges for home use however I belive it says AEC, Advance Entertainment Cartridge? Someone else pointed this out a few weeks ago.. I may be incorrect, but there is a correct SNK offical name for the cartridges for home use, and its not AES.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
From all that I know, the term "AES" is years old, from "Advanced Entertainment System" that appears on the box, as other have said. Dion began using it non-stop last year, and it stuck somehow. The funny thing is, he claims to have invented the term, and then called people stupid for not using it...

I myself think it sounds retarded. Home/ROM/(insert nationality)/<nothing at all> cart(ridge) is perfectly fine for me. People know what I mean and so do I, no silly acronyms here.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I think I went into this once before but

"AES" is on the CD system, the MVS system and the NEO home system. SNK's true acroynm for the systems are as follows

NGH For neo geo homecarts
NGCD for neo geo cd's and
NGM for neo geo MVS

You can look on the spines or back of your carts, cds and on the older mvs carts. this is how the are refered to and where the NGH numbers came from.

I usally say homecarts, sometimes I slip AES but personaly now I will use NGH

[This message has been edited by Big Bruno (edited January 07, 2001).]

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Im in the tropical fish hobby and I buy products from a company called AQUATIC ECO SYSTEMS, better known as AES so whenever somone says AES I think fish not Neo Geo.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Several of the home carts I have say AEP- followed by a number on the inserts. Is there a word that starts with "P" that could be used to describe a cartridge? Or is the "P" for "Paper," to describe the insert? Advanced Entertainment Paper?
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
europe carts I believe have NEO-AEP on them and the NGH number underneath. I really do not know what it stands for I can only assume it is some region code. maybe the P is for PAL since the neo europe versions are PAL standard instead of NTSC.

And really I didn't mean to sound picky on my last post just Giving out the information I know. People can call carts whatever they want I was just offering what SNK used.

[This message has been edited by Big Bruno (edited January 08, 2001).]

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I do not have any Euro home carts, just American and Japanese. I can list what titles had the AEP if you like, I am curious about it as well.

-BioMotor_Unitron

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I just remember my Puzzled cart has it and it is a euro cart,

ok how about this

Neo "advanced Entertainment Product"

sound good
smile.gif

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
now that I think about it that does sound about right. only my old carts have the Neo AEP on them I can not visuallize my new neo carts with it. I am at work now so I can not check.

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Originally posted by Big Bruno:
SNK's true acroynm for the systems are as follows

NGH For neo geo homecarts
NGCD for neo geo cd's and
NGM for neo geo MVS

[This message has been edited by Big Bruno (edited January 07, 2001).]

Then why do all games have NGH numbers, even MVS only and CD only?

Anthony

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
That sounds about right, Big_Bruno. I think it is the older home carts that have AEP on them. I will make a list and post it here sometime in the next twenty-four hours.

"Advanced Entertainment Product." I like the sound of that.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Originally posted by Neo Fan:

Then why do all games have NGH numbers, even MVS only and CD only?

Anthony

actually you can probably blame me for that one.

when I started a list back in 94-95 I listed everything by NGH numbers just becuase that is what I saw on the homecart. I latter discovered that this really is not accurate for all games but the NGH still exist.

if you really think about it the corresponding CD is not really the same game.