XRGB-2 Plus and using a vga input on a hdtv?

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
http://www.ncsx.net/www/2002/ncs020402/ncs0204.htm
has anyone tried this?
use a XRGB-2 Plus with a neo-geo and or these genesis, turboduo, supergun
on a hd tv with a vga input?
i would think it has to work.
how would it look compared to the neobitz component board?
i would think better?

i need rgb amp for my duo
one site said the would not need the amp when using the XRGB

i am really thinking about getting one. always looking to get better video.
what is a good price for one?

what is the diff with jap rgb, and scart?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I have only heard good comments about this particular device.
I would like to know how does the Saturn look on vga connection through
the XRGB2+?

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
has anyone tried to use a XRGB-2 Plus with a med res pcb to play games on a pc monitor? if that works then maybe a it will then work on the vga port of a hd tv

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I don't really understand this thread.

The XRGB2+ outputs VGA, therefore any monitor or device which has a HD15 socket on it (the VGA one) will accept the signal.

It makes no difference what PCB you use.

If you use Atomiswave or Naomi, it will have VGA output on it already so you bypass the XRGB2+ and go straight from the mobo to the monitor or HDTV.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Neorichieb1971 said:
I don't really understand this thread.

The XRGB2+ outputs VGA, therefore any monitor or device which has a HD15 socket on it (the VGA one) will accept the signal.

It makes no difference what PCB you use.

Well, acem is talking about a medium res pcb and that could definately make a difference.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Amano Jacu said:
Well, acem is talking about a medium res pcb and that could definately make a difference.

Surely the question should be -

Does the XRGB2+ cater for medium resolution PCB's then should it not?

Which I do not know the answer to.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
acem77 said:
what is the diff with jap rgb, and scart?

The pin-out is a bit different.

Richie said:
Surely the question should be -

Does the XRGB2+ cater for medium resolution PCB's then should it not?

Which I do not know the answer to.

Well, he is making many questions in this same thread, like how good would this look, etc. By the way, something having a VGA-like socket doesn't mean it will work in any device, for example the Atomiswave has been reported not to work in some VGA monitors. Anyway I agree that the XRGB2 should work in any VGA home device (as unlike the Atomiswave, it is designed to work in them), as long as the video source is within the XRGB2 range of operation.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
I have used the XRGB2 and XRGB2 Plus on a couple of HDTVS, picture looks great. Your HDTV must have the VGA plug in though.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Here is the deal when people talk about HDTV sets, especially when they have DLP, LCoS, Plasma, or LCD types (microdisplay technologies).

The TV is going to have a hell of a lot better scan converter built-in than something like the XRGB2. So, the idea is to feed your TV the best (or closest) interlaced RGB signal directly. Some (small percentage) HDTV sets (not all by any means) will take 15khz on their RGB jack. If you're lucky enough to have one of these sets, you should feed it the analog RGB signal yourself and not use one of these 3rd party upscan converters. If your TV doesn't accept RGB, then go for component.

The only time you would want something that upconverts a signal (other than for using a PC monitor) is when that upscan device supports a digital output, such as a DVD player, and can send the digital signal straight through to the TV via DVI or HDMI, or whatever other digital connection there is.

If you feed the analog signal to an upscanning device, and that in turn feeds an analog signal to the TV, your TV is going to scan it to fit it's native display resolution, so it's being converted twice.

Unless your system (like XBox, etc) directly supports HD formats, your goal should be to get the best RGB (or closest) interlaced signal to your TV and let your TV do the conversion.

At least this has been my experience and have read articles to this in the past. A good resource for learning about upscanning, from a user's perspective, is http://www.avsforum.com.

Jeff

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
Not all HDTVs have good scalers. It seems to me, from my limited experience, that the cheaper a TV gets, the worse the scaler gets.