NEOGEO PROTOS breakdown list

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Shito said:
Something I would like to bring to your attention is: we don't really know if Xacrow ownz any phisical proto. What we know for sure is he ppossibly owns the ROMS. As far as we know, he could have obtained those through some asian/Japanese contact in the emulation field/circle.

Fact is Asian Neo Fanbase is quite silent and unknow to the wester audience.

I know for sure Japanese fans produces since years 'modded version' of main carts, swapping hacked eproms to standard roms, to obtain boss-enabled versions of fighting games, and such, just working on regulard NeoGeo unit.

That's just an example, but you got the figure I guess.

Japanese BBS are extremely active, but as pic posting is generally forbidden, those seems pretty anonymous to us.

Bump

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
I spoke with Razoola yesterday, and he said that he hasn't spoken with Xacrow in some time, (as Xacrow hasn't been online).

He did say that he expects that Xacrow stilll has the protos.

I know this doesn't help, but it's still an update.

jruizleon

Crazed MVS Addict
During my weekly visits to SNK Torrance I saw to protos:
4 player World Heroes and Last Resort X. Chad Okada showed the 4 player World Heroes on video tape, looked good, don't know why they didn't release it. Last Resort X was a version made with 2 improvements: no slowdown and more boss explosions. The cart was sold by one of the tecs to a guy who wrote "New World News". There was a deal made by SNK to trap the tech who sold the cart. Chad Okada and Dave Villanueva know the story better than I do.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
SuperGun said:
Dude,

Please don't derail a perfectly good plan by finding some little nuance. I hate it when someone points out a tiny detail and magnifies it larger then the entire post itself. Most of the people around here have very short attention spans and it is this type of incorrect spin that causes all kinds of fruitcakes to reply and focus on the tidbit rather then the post itself.

Billy Pitt

Are you related to Brad Pitt?

I'm just curious since the last names are the same.

Probably not

But I just thought I'd ask

NipRing

The Shlonginator,
For those interested, as of January 06, from what i've read here no word yet from Xacrow.

~bill

GhostPilotDude

Banned for Being:, RACIST SCUM
I've always wondered what happened at NGF, why did they get raided? I've only been in the neo scene for about 6 months.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
So now Billy has the Dunk Star rom too, nice work Billy, now practice what you preach.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
any other new news since this topic was posted? Lots of good info here:)

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Oh man, I really hope we get those cart numbers, that's *all* we care about here, anyways....

:kekeke:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
minor bump...

I recently came across this Japanese page when looking for information on a different game.... this guy seems to have written many accounts of playing games at location tests. (no pictures though, unfortunately)

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/octymgr/acmenu.htm

In particular, I'd like to point out this page, where he talks about Ninja Ryukenden II (aka Ninja Gaiden II) for MVS.

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/octymgr/ikasu0703.html

A more accurate translation would be nice, but instead here's a crappy Excite Japan translation.

That ninja Ruukenden came back. It was written and there were a mind and a decision on paddle POP.
However, the content is usual "Final fighting spirits system and side scroll
grapple action".
Only the woman character is in the memory why though the character can be chosen from three people.
Though it is a bytalk, The..woman..character..legend..give birth..partially..famous.. story.
The played impression ・・・ Game over without the Muz amazement.
Foreign countries were targets or it is improving of the difficulty.
Anyway, "Ninja Ruukenden" ! where. Content of. Is does not it put on the market and the correct answer?
Botsgam after all.
It seems to be quite unrelated to "Ninja Ruukenden 2" that the Dedoara development team seems to be making now.

sounds like it definitely played more like the original arcade version of Ninja Gaiden instead of being a platformer like the NES version.

Sorry if any of this was old news, just thought it was worth sharing. (and no I don't think this guy is making stuff up)

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Here's a really rough translation. I was only able to completely understand half of it, the rest was too difficult / idiomatic for me. It would be nice if someone else could clean this up.

From what I read though, it seems that the reviewer a) didn't like it very much b) thought it was too difficult, and c) thought it was just an average beat 'em up.

++++++++++++++++++++

あの忍者龍剣伝が帰ってきた!
The "Ninja Ryukenden" is back!

などと書かれたでかいPOPに心ときめいた。
So it was written, and with a big "pop" my heart exploded.
(I'm just guessing here, the syntax in this sentence was too difficult for me.)

でも内容は、普通な「ファイナルファイト系横スクロール格闘アクション」。
But the contents of the game are just your average Final Fight side scrolling beat 'em up.

キャラを3人から選べるが、
There are three characters that you can choose from

何故か女キャラしか記憶にない。
but the only original character [from the first game] is the woman.
(I'm not too sure about this sentence either)

余談だが、その女キャラから「闘姫伝承」が生まれたというのは
一部で有名な話である・・・らしい。
By the way, the "Legend of the Fighting Princess" comes from the woman character, and is part of the story... I think.
(This sentence too... although the writer does say "... I think" at the end, so he's not to sure of his information either)

プレイした感想・・・なんかムズくてあっけなくゲームオーバー。
Playing it... was [got me] a difficult and dissapointing "game over".

海外がターゲットだったのか、難易度高めでした。
I think this game was targeted for an overseas audience because the difficulty setting was really high.

とにかく、どこが「忍者龍剣伝」じゃい!って内容。発売しなくて正解かと・・・。
Anyway, it was like where is the "Ninja Ryuden"!? Maybe they were right to not to release this.

やっぱりボツゲーム。
In the end it's a "boggeimu".
("kusoge" means "shit game", I'm guessing that "boggeimu" also means something like "stupid, bad, lousy" game)

現在デドアラ開発チームが作ってるらしい「忍者龍剣伝2」とは、まったく関係なさそう。
It seems that this is completely unrelated to the "Ninja Ryukenden2" currently being made by the "Dedoara" development team.
(I'm guessing that "Dedoara" is short for "Dead or Alive"? I've never heard that abbreviation before)

Tachibana

n00b
tsukaesugi said:
(I'm guessing that "Dedoara" is short for "Dead or Alive"? I've never heard that abbreviation before)

Yes, it is indeed.

Your translation is pretty OK as far as I can tell.

余談だが、その女キャラから「闘姫伝承」が生まれたというのは
一部で有名な話である・・・らしい。

闘姫伝承 is actually "Angel Eyes", apparently a Tecmo game on the PS1. The writer thinks that the idea for this game emerged from this woman caracter.

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
Interesting topic..

Back in the days, in 1999, i had a french friend Called Nicozzzz.
Nicozzzz was a very respected guy, also please take in consideration what i tell you now. He has done several deals with guys like Shawn(maybe even the Shawn's Slug 1 US was from Nicozzzz, but not sure, it was 7 years ago) and Adol.

He had a Magician Lord 2 Prototype, but the game was :
- unfinished.
- a lot of graphic parts were the same than the Magician Lord 1.
- The NGH code was the code of a game such as Sengoku 1.

To be honest, game was apparently a big hack, but the guy that had programmed this was pretty tough!
Seeing it was a fhack, that cart had no value for him, also he decided to sell it to a uk big collector.
Has anyone in UK a friend, with a huge collection, who actually has a Magician Lord 2 hack in his collection??

aria

Former Moderator
waku7 said:
Interesting topic..

Back in the days, in 1999, i had a french friend Called Nicozzzz.
Nicozzzz was a very respected guy, also please take in consideration what i tell you now. He has done several deals with guys like Shawn(maybe even the Shawn's Slug 1 US was from Nicozzzz, but not sure, it was 7 years ago) and Adol.

He had a Magician Lord 2 Prototype, but the game was :
- unfinished.
- a lot of graphic parts were the same than the Magician Lord 1.
- The NGH code was the code of a game such as Sengoku 1.

To be honest, game was apparently a big hack, but the guy that had programmed this was pretty tough!
Seeing it was a fhack, that cart had no value for him, also he decided to sell it to a uk big collector.
Has anyone in UK a friend, with a huge collection, who actually has a Magician Lord 2 hack in his collection??

A lead is more than nothing, thanks for sharing.

And people who doubt Billy's obsession with numbers (implying that its a cover for some other nefarious reasons) haven't met him and seen his work in Atari. His handwritten notes on solving the Atari 2600's number sequence reminded me of the obsessiveness displayed in "A Beautiful Mind" but without the insanity :p

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Tachibana said:
Yes, it is indeed.

Your translation is pretty OK as far as I can tell.

?????????????????????????????
?????????????????

???? is actually "Angel Eyes", apparently a Tecmo game on the PS1. The writer thinks that the idea for this game emerged from this woman caracter.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
While reading this thread, a thought occured to me. What Neo Geo prototype roms have actually been released to the public? The only one I can think of off hand is Ghostlop.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Tempest said:
While reading this thread, a thought occured to me. What Neo Geo prototype roms have actually been released to the public? The only one I can think of off hand is Ghostlop.

Zupapa

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
NGH158? - DANCE RYTHM MIX - ADK
[Bemani-style rythm game]
*2004 Location Test in Japan

would have loved to see that.

aria

Former Moderator
billd420 said:

Well, if we want to be a little clearer:

Zupapa was actually, officially released.

Ghost Lop was a proto when it was found

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yes Zupapa had an official release, but God knows why since it was pretty out of date by then.

It's a shame though, I'd really love to see Last Odyssey, Zintrick, and Fun Fun Brothers (I'm a huge Blues Brothers fan). I assume there are reasons these haven't been released to the public (other than to preserve the 'value' of the prototype).

heartofagamer

Quiz Detective
Crystalis or Crystalis sequel ?

a true legit Magician Lord 2 (not the hack) ?

Ghost Pilots 2 ?

Pulstar 2 or Pulstar Blast ? (not Blazing Star)

those are teh ones, zmog, i'm interested in :)

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
heartofagamer said:
Crystalis or Crystalis sequel ?

Pulstar 2 or Pulstar Blast ? (not Blazing Star)

Where did you read about this one? First I heard of it....