NEOGEO PROTOS breakdown list

T_Smallz

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
So many puzzle games that weren't... Sad really...

Puzzle games = Good stuff

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
Shito said:
NGH???? - NINJA GAIDEN II - TECMO
[action game]
*1994/07 Location Test @ Ochanomizu Conan

here some info about NINJA GAIDEN II for neo geo

http://neogeofreak.com/tossups/touchclass.htm

One of the best platform games ever made was the NES version of Ninja Gaiden. It spawned two sequels on the NES, which were both equally impressive as well as a great SNES compilation-cart appropriately titled Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. The series went down in history as one of the most entertaining games ever produced. Nothing like the arcade version (which was actually a double-dragon style beat-um-up, this game created a huge following and pretty much put TECMO on the map.

A lot of us have heard the rumors surrounding a Ninja Gaiden game having been made for the NEOGEO AES. And with TECMO having been one of the third party licensees for the console (Tecmo World Soccer ’96) it is a rumor which would seem easy to believe. However I can provide strong evidence that the game was never made, but rather that its announcement was simply a case of mistaken identity.

Back in 1994-1995 VISCO used the development hardware to make 3 NEOGEO games:

(Battle Flipshot, Captain Tomaday, and Musashi Ganryuki)

However for some strange reason, VISCO never got around to releasing them. Some screenshots of the games did however slip out, one of them being of the game Musashi Ganryuki AKA "Ganryu". The main character in the game bears a striking resemblance to Ryu Hayabusa, the hero of the Ninja Gaiden series by sporting the typical blue outfit and carrying the bladed sword.

Anyhow, put two and two together, and one can easily see how such a mix-up would occur. A screenshot of what is a platform game showing a character sporting the same outfit as RYU hayabusa…and the games name gan RYU.

It makes PERFECT sense that the conclusion or theory could have been made.

Anyhow, fast forward to present day (1999), amidst SNK’s much more liberal policy towards 3rd party games, coupled with Visco’s desperation to close shop with the least possible financial disarray, as well as a much larger Asian and European market, and voila…SNK decides to go ahead and release the software titles. Since at the time, SNK’s current "board-set revision" happens to be the GIGA-shock style, despite being way less then 500 megs, the titles are released under the label. :)

The first releases, Captain Tomaday and Battle Flipshot make it off the assembly line presses just in time before the changeover to the "KOF99" copy-protected board set…while Ganryu sadly does not. :( As a result, they are NOT compatible with most current MVS to AES adapters. Therefore, the only way to play this great title as of this writing is either on an MVS board OR via NGF professional home cart conversions.

I recently obtained this great game for my collection, and got the chance to play it. And so I just wanted to quickly give my opinion on it. In the sea of fighting games on the NEO, it sure is great to have a platform like this. The game is excellent. It has absolutely everything that makes up a great game. It has two intros, great backgrounds, great music, a large weapon selection, a good story line, alternate paths, hidden rooms, bonus items, checkpoint memory card saves, etc. Need I say more! The game plays and feels just like a ninja gaiden. It is so nice to have a game like this on the neo. Not since Magician Lord have I truly enjoyed this type of game play on my NEO.

I would strongly recommend the game to anyone who is looking for a sweet new title to keep them entertained for a long time. Remember though…you will need to contact NGF if you would like to have an AES version as there is no official SNK AES version available.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
When is a proto a proto?

:drool: :D :glee:

Yes Gentlemen, it was actually me who wrote that mini-review for Ganryu. I wrote several articles back then which (at the time) since I did not have my own website, I asked for someone (anyone) to post them for me. Mr. Dion Dakis offerred up a section for me on his website and so I took it. However, for the record, those articles and reviews were SEVERELY CENSORED, EDITED, AND ALTERED by him for both content and policy. Many of my words and sentances were changed or dropped all together and he also placed several of his own in place of them. Most of his policies I reluctantly accepted because I just wanted the webspace and so I followed his rules. If memory serves me right, the biggest argument I had with him was actually regarding my mention of Thao and MAS Systems. An entire paragraph was completely removed from the article and I was FURIOUS! Heh...the original UN-CENSORED articles are still saved on my computer to this day.

:cool:

Anyhow, I just wanted to let Shito know that I have seen his post here and that I would very much like to add to it. I am just trying to find the time right now. And more then that, I would also like to discuss something else brought up by someone in this thread, but again I don't have the time right now.

:annoyed:

I will try to get to this soon.
Regards,
Billy Pitt

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
This is great stuff! I love prototype discussions for any system (although my heart will always be with Atari).

BTW are any of these companies still in business, like Face? What we really need to do is find a programmer, that usually answers a ton of questions. However I'd guess 99% (if not 100%) are in Japan, which makes them hard to track down from the US.

Anyone have an idea on how the control scheme for Dance Rhymix would have worked? Was it a food pedal or mat, or was it a hand control type thing?

Tempest

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Heads up guys!

I got an interesting PM from a member here who
wished to remain anonymous. To quote him:

"I know of Iron Clad being shown in one of the
trade show in Singapore in 1996. I have been
searching for a copy of it recently. "

He has told me should he find a copy, he is
more than willing to have it dumped which
is always good. From what I was sensing
in his message he believes the MVS version
to exist which would also jive with others
comments on the game.

He's also fairly certain that MVS versions
which "due to the art of conversion" would
be just as good as finding AES were often
sent out to the bigger operators who
did loc tests from there.

He also said he went on to offer $1,000.00
a copy for said games "because as we know
the operators have no idea on the true value
of these UR titles" and has come to believe
that many of them went from the loc tests
onto 3rd world countries where old games
were acceptable for mass play.

In short he also has been working on
contacting former employees which may
also bring something useful to the table.

In response to his question: Yes, I am
very sure most of these can be located
and outside of the collectors circle but
we still need an Asian-based member
with the time to do some footwork.

I will not reveal this person as per
his request and am passing this
along for him. Questions / Comments?

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
SuperGun said:
SEVERELY CENSORED, EDITED, AND ALTERED by him

Ok so you are saying that Dion Dakis twisted your
words around and made you come across like NGF's #1 fanboy?

I can lean toward believing this since a sociopath with such
an obvious severe issue with editing what people have
said in the past would have likely done it to you anyways.

But even though you knew this was occuring
you were accepting of it because you wanted the
webspace? Ever hear of GeoCities, Yahoo or the like?
And if you didn't want the ads "which would have
been a lot less damaging to your work and credibility
than a few Dakis edits" there is webspace as
cheap as $2 a month.

Not trying to flame you Pitt but that made zero sense,
are you oblivious as to how that is coming across? :conf:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I don't blame him, at the time the review would have looked better and been more relevant on NGF than on angelfire or geocities...I wouldn't want to link people to my angelfire/GeoCities site to read a review.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Mouse_Master said:
I 'think' that is Pop 'N Bounce.........

Pop'n'Bounce is just 'Gapporin'. The long title is most likely a tentative title.

Probably all the same game.

May be. We know about SV94 for sure anyway.

Possible early version of Puzzle de Pon! ??

Who knows?

Not at all. Game was covered by magazine, and some scans we even recently posted by Xacrow in this very board. This is a unique game.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Here are some threads of interest for anyone looking to add their thoughts

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116077

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109354

http://members.tripod.com/fresa/proto/puzzle.htm

I have some questions for Billy when he gets the time, which games have you independently confirmed the numbers on? Zupapa, Bang Bead of course, Ghostlop. Last Odyssey? Only asking because you have emulated watermarked images but it still does not have a 'red title cart'

Has someone else confirmed Fun Fun Bros. for you?

I think that's all my questions.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
HINDSIGHT IS ALWAYS 20/20

OlderGames said:
...so you are saying that Dion Dakis twisted your
words around...But even though you knew this was occuring
you were accepting of it because you wanted the
webspace? Ever hear of GeoCities, Yahoo or the like?

Not trying to flame you Pitt but that made zero sense,
are you oblivious as to how that is coming across? :conf:

Not to worry, I don't feel flames from this.

You need to understand a few things. This was all happening back in 1999/2000. Alot of things have changed since then. Getting webspace today is perhaps easier and more readily available. Either way, you need to realize that everyone has different areas of "skill" and "weakness". When it comes to computers, they have always been a "weakness" of mine. I HATE computers. They are extremely confusing to me and I NEVER have the interest, the money, nor the time to actually purchase say "microsoft frontpage 4.0" or whatever the hell it's called to then take DAYS to TRY and HOPE I can figure out how to use it.

To this day, my entire website is "prepared". All it is is "cut & paste". I have NO IDEA how to use frontpage editor or anything like that. Whenever I want to upload a new screenshot or add a new section I either have a friend of mine do it for me (who has NOTHING to do with neogeo and so I am at his mercy for if/when he has the time to get around to it) or I rig it together by simply copying one page and pasting it as another.

As I write this post I am LITERALLY pressing one button at a time on my keyboard because I have NO IDEA how to type. But understand that I have been doing it this way for so many years now that I am almost as fast as a regular typist.

In the end what I am trying to relay to you here is that I never had (nor have for that matter) the time to waste to learn about this crap. I do my best with what I know and have and work with it. At the time of those articles, I had no website and no interest in obtaining one and then figuring out how to use it and write on it, etc. Screw that. So in short, yes, I took the space offerred to me by him along with whatever stipulations he placed on it. All I had to do was write some articles and send them to him which was all I knew how to do at the time.

Want a perfect example? Right here / right now...I have had to ask others on this forum in the past to do it for me for example...how the HELL do you place pics in a post here on the forums? I tried to read the instructions and it confused the hell out of me. These things ANNOY me!

Alright well I just wasted what little time I had to post something meaningfull to this thread by answering to this question instead. So I have to go, but hopefully later this weekend I can finally post what I want to post here. I would also love to add pictures to that post but again I have no f'ing clue how that works.

Billy

lithy

20 Year Member
If the pic is already hosted online put the URL between the tags below. If its not online I can get it up for you if you just want to e-mail it to me at jviale@utk.edu

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Xacrow and the Protos

TonK said:
bump for the most interesting post this year... more please

Gentlemen,

It’s great to see that the subject of the neogeo protos has managed to catch the attention of some more people around here. And there is no doubt that the more we work on the project together, the better our chances of finding them by tracking the big leads down. As everyone knows, the latest lead that we have been following comes from a guy named Xacrow who lives in Japan. Xacrow has enticed us 3 times (so far) with screenshots, pics, and information. However, his claims are still unconfirmed and his intentions are still uncertain.

The Dynamic Duo from Nevada & Colorado, Ray Young from Canada, and now Xacrow from Japan all had one thing in common…lots of flair, but absolutely no substance. Notice how the first two have all but fallen off the planet. They are not even part of our community anymore. But even discussing the latest “claim jumper” Mr. Xacrow, again he too has failed to provide even the most FUNDAMENTAL basic requests.

However, despite this, Xacrow has STILL been “handled” no differently then any of the aforementioned groups of bullshitters. Initially, I ALWAYS give each and every claim the benefit of the doubt. No, I am not “gullible”, but rather I am “hopeful”. So in the end, despite his lack of cooperation, I have STILL made several attempts with Xacrow to arrive at some kind of an arrangement. So far, none of them have come to fruition. Now, with all this in mind, I want you guys to have a look at what WAS my original plan. Only a few of you have seen this (emailed privately as a “feeler” to some of you) but now I will show it publicly to everyone.

The main reason I am doing this now is because I know there are people here who like me, and there are people here who dislike me. HOWEVER, I want to make damn sure that those who actually dislike me do so for other reasons and NOT for reasons pertaining to my falsely perceived reputation on these forums which has been largely based on rumors, assumptions and misinterpretations.

Anyhow, on January 17, 2005, I wrote the following post with the intention of posting it here on these forums after receiving Xacrow’s reply to my offers. However, since my correspondence with Xacrow was limited to just a few personal emails between us which yielded no positive results, it was never posted and simply sat here on my computer:

::::::::::::::::::::::
January 17, 2005

Gentlemen,

I have given some serious thought to the recent developments and debates over the fate of the Xacrow protos. I have come up with what I consider to be a smart and fair way to handle the situation. Below is my solution to the problem. Please read through the entire process to ensure that it is understood and then feel free to give me any feedback on it.

Phase One
I am currently in negotiations with Xacrow to purchase the protos. He is still sitting on my last offer, but eventually Xacrow will arrive at whatever his cost is. With protos it is impossible to tell just how “greedy” sellers can be, but I would estimate his price to fall somewhere in the range between $1,000 to $3,000 per proto. Obviously I will try to negotiate the best possible price, but that part is out of my hands and the reality is I couldn’t care less what he wants, he’ll get it from me no matter what. (but for the sake of making an example, lets say $2,000 per) Once the protos are paid for and safely in my possession, I will immediately post the NGH code numbers as well as several screenshots for each game and without any watermarks. At that point, a poll can be run to decide which of the protos is the most desirable and will therefore be released first.

Phase Two
The chosen proto is immediately sent to Jeff Kurtz who holds onto it as a trust in escrow. I and he alone will have it. At that point 20 members of the neo-geo.com community will be asked to step forward and pay $100 each. Who will these individuals be? Well, that’s up to YOU guys to decide. This will separate the talkers from the walkers. You guys can argue amongst yourselves as to who will be the chosen 20. The payments can be sent to Jeff Kurtz. Once the 20 payments of $200 is confirmed as received and paid in full, the data for the proto will be immediately emailed to ONLY those 20 initial contributors who sacrificed there own personal money. Also, from that moment, a 10 day countdown begins.

Phase Three
During the 10 day period, those individuals can enjoy the game first before anyone else as a reward. They may also try to recover there own $100 by finding say 5 more people at $20 each, etc. Regardless of how they handle it, neither Jeff, them, or myself are allowed to release the roms until the midnight hour of the tenth day. Once the 10 days have passed, the ROMS are RELEASED and POSTED online by me and made available as a free shareware download for everyone to enjoy.

Notice
EVERYTHING will hinge on the FIRST proto. It will set the precedence. If everybody works together and there is no back-stabbing, name-calling, bad-mouthing, trash-talking, pushing, shoving, yelling, screaming, raping, killing, mugging, etc. then we will proceed and immediately do the same with the next proto and start it up again and continue until they are all released!

If I get screwed at any point by anyone, and the game becomes shareware BEFORE I am able to recoup my $2,000 then you have all sealed your own fates and the rest of the protos are locked away forever never to be seen again! So play friendly!

In the end, I alone am taking the high end risk with my own personal money and I am sacrificing all shipping costs, all payment costs, the poor match up of the dollar versus the yen, etc. (there are always hidden costs involved) Jeff is sacrificing his time and energy organizing the payment aspect. And the investors are sacrificing $100 each as well to fund the project. So EVERYONE involved is losing something. BUT, everyone in the end also gets the game. Granted, there will be hundreds of non-contributing free-loaders who also get the game, but that is the way life is. We have this in the music, movies, and all other industries. Some people buy it while some people get it for free.

Everyone talks about how they would do this or that, well now is their chance to prove it because now it’s up to you guys. The game has already started on my end, so let me know if you guys are ready and willing to play ball on your end.

Regards,
Billy Pitt

This was my plan, and it might have worked, but that's that.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Shito said:
2) Lately, Xacrow presented us some emu-shot for some protos, plus a title list and some mag scans

3) I investigated the Japanese net, and found Xacrow's list source. Basically, Xacrow list was a translation from a Japanese list.

Bump. Real point is: how the Asian/Japanese neoscene is into prototypes, prototypes dumps, etc?

With the NeoGeo now 7 feets under, one may guess Japanese hackers will surface with new material on the matter?

Time will tell.

lithy

20 Year Member
Billy

Can this be put to the test then with Last Oddysey? I'm sure that they plan would work, or since you at this point have few protos you have no trade bait for future protos?

Would love to play Last Oddysey and have 100 dollars to start the fund to recoup whatever it is you feel your cost is/was for this game.

Also from what I can tell communications with Xacrow are no longer ongoing?

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
I would love to see Xacrow come through with these protos. but to be honest, i cant see the community here covering 100% of the cost of the protos. Perhaps even 1500-1700 bucks worth, because in the end, dumped or not, you still get to hold in your hands the original proto cart. That has to warrant a little cash from the buyer for the cart.
Otherwise, ive often thought this myself, and in all honesty, for $300, i would pay my part for a proto (Last Oddysey, Ninja Shou) and a cart from you know who. ;)

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Please stay focussed...

Moose said:
I would love to see Xacrow come through with these protos. but to be honest, i cant see the community here covering 100% of the cost of the protos. Perhaps even 1500-1700 bucks worth, because in the end, dumped or not, you still get to hold in your hands the original proto cart. That has to warrant a little cash from the buyer for the cart.
Otherwise, ive often thought this myself, and in all honesty, for $300, i would pay my part for a proto (Last Oddysey, Ninja Shou) and a cart from you know who. ;)

Dude,

Please don't derail a perfectly good plan by finding some little nuance. I hate it when someone points out a tiny detail and magnifies it larger then the entire post itself. Most of the people around here have very short attention spans and it is this type of incorrect spin that causes all kinds of fruitcakes to reply and focus on the tidbit rather then the post itself.

Obviously each original proto cartridge itself (if Xacrow even has them and sends them) would be tossed on ebay after each process and the money generated from it would then be re-imbursed evenly to all parties involved who invested. If it were to fall short, then thats that. If it were to generate a surplus then that's that as well.

This is not about making money or owning the original proto cartridge. We need to think WELL beyond that immaturity or we will NEVER get these damn protos. This is what divides our community and makes us so defensive.

I don't give a shit about the original cartridge, and neither would the investors involved in the project. They (as well as anyone else for that matter) can simply bid as high as their hearts content once it is tossed on ebay. The original cartridge is out of sight, out of mind, and unrelated / off topic to actually GETTING THE "GAME" itself. THAT is what really matters.

And lastly, as I said before, Xacrow may not even have an actual "original / authentic proto cartridge". He probably just has the damn roms on his computer, or at best a copy / clone cart he built himself or had built for him. It just doesn't matter.

In the final analysis, what MORE could a person possibly want? Xacrow has been given the opportunity to set his own price. What sane person would say no? Only a person with something to hide would say no; such as NOT really having the games or the roms. He hasn't proven ANYTHING to me yet.

Billy Pitt

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
nvm... he posted a rebuttal before I finished typing. LOL.

lithy

20 Year Member
So instead of further derailing the thread Billy could you respond to my post instead?

I just wanted to clear up some things on the NGF protos. I believe that Chris Ray had two of the prototype boards with the flash cards, but when I first met him definitely showed me one of them. I ask him if it had a proto on it and he said no, but he instead showed me the video of the protos in action. I don’t think either of the flash carts that he had, had games on them, but I know that he did (or still does have the carts). The one that he claims is Neo Pool Masters is actually a Magical Drop 3 proto that he has. At least I a pretty sure that it’s the MD3 proto he has, because he said that cart was that proto and if he had any of those protos, I am pretty sure that he would show them off to me by now.

The whole story that I was told about what happened to the protos, is that Chris sold them to Larry Basin (sp?), before the neo-geo.com guys could get the money together to buy the protos. Now this story works out for NGF, because if they didn’t have the protos to begin with, then people would just think that they were sold to Larry, who would never share them any way and people would think that they actually had them.

I do think NGF does have one proto, which is Warlocks Of Fate, but I think Dion has that proto. The only reason I say that, is because like 2 years ago forum member Mike played it at Dion’s house. Mike wasn’t a NGF fanboy or anything, and I am pretty sure that he confirmed that Dion had that proto.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
SuperGun said:
In the final analysis, what MORE could a person possibly want? Xacrow has been given the opportunity to set his own price. What sane person would say no? Only a person with something to hide would say no; such as NOT really having the games or the roms. He hasn't proven ANYTHING to me yet.

Well, maybe he's simply some rich dude who doesn't need the money? Larry Bassin won't sell his stuff either ...

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Joe McCabe said:
I do think NGF does have one proto, which is Warlocks Of Fate, but I think Dion has that proto. The only reason I say that, is because like 2 years ago forum member Mike played it at Dion’s house. Mike wasn’t a NGF fanboy or anything, and I am pretty sure that he confirmed that Dion had that proto.

NGF also produced a working 'jostuck version' for Irritating Maze, dunno if that's a hackjob or an actual proto.

As for The Walock of the Fates (Shinryuu Senki), I think they actually had/have a proto for that game, but in a (slightly?) incomplete form.

Nameless

Armored Scrum Object
wow that is good info
i feel that i am still new to the world of neo geo

Setsuna1982

World Her,
any info on Karate ninja shou? The neo needed a good beat'em up so much... and coming from yumekobo it should be at least decent

Shito said:
NGF also produced a working 'jostuck version' for Irritating Maze, dunno if that's a hackjob or an actual proto.

As for The Walock of the Fates (Shinryuu Senki), I think they actually had/have a proto for that game, but in a (slightly?) incomplete form.

I never saw the Irritating Maze joystick version, but I think there is a rom floating around that was a hack that worked with a joystick. So all they would have to do is burn the rom and you have a joystick version. Either way it's a hack job I believe.

I think your right about the Warlock of the Fates, I think Mike said that it was somewhat incomplete.

:)