Samurai Spirits Official Site - OPEN

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Very nice, I am really liking it. Very slick and stylish. Thanks for the link.

H

hermegildo

I saw Shinkiro artwork and just for a second, I thought he came back to work on SSVI. Then I realized it was just old SS artwork. :(

The site looks really nice though, and I'm looking forward to info on SSVI. :buttrock:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Hmm... I see a bunch of artwork we've already seen and that's about it.

This is my very favourite SNK series, and it's the reason why I bought a Neo-Geo, so I tend to get very excited when SS is mentioned, but so far there's not much on that site to get my chinker going.

I'll start getting piqued when the first SS6 screenshots come up.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Is Warrior's Rage 2 in the lower left corner, or is that the first SSV, or something else? I'm curious whether they are counting both SSVs as 1 game, and whether SSWR2 is counted at all.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
Hmm... I see a bunch of artwork we've already seen and that's about it.

This is my very favourite SNK series, and it's the reason why I bought a Neo-Geo, so I tend to get very excited when SS is mentioned, but so far there's not much on that site to get my chinker going.

I'll start getting piqued when the first SS6 screenshots come up.

I'm very much inclined to believe this site was set up with the main purpose of pushing the next installment in the series. there is an empty square in the title page, and the way I see it, they will be showcasing a successive samurai spirits game every thursday until they get to SS6. I think this is more probable than not.

tsukaesugi

neojedi said:
Is Warrior's Rage 2 in the lower left corner, or is that the first SSV, or something else? I'm curious whether they are counting both SSVs as 1 game, and whether SSWR2 is counted at all.

Yep, that's Warrior's Rage (in the lower left / 7 position).

The middle / 5 position is the first Hyper 64 SS, and the middle right / 6 position is the second Hyper release.

Ugh.

3D SS, SFC SS, PS SS, NGPC SS.

Ugh ugh ugh.

tsukaesugi

DevilRedeemed said:
I'm very much inclined to believe this site was set up with the main purpose of pushing the next installment in the series.

Oh, I think so too, but I'm really not going to start getting excited until I start seeing some screenshots.

If the next SS is only going to be AW SSZS with new BG's, I'm going to be PO'd.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
that site sure is very PURTY!
can't wait till they start on the news of a new SS!!!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
If the next SS is only going to be AW SSZS with new BG's, I'm going to be PO'd.

You SERIOUSLY hope for anything different from that?

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
bookmarked, and thanks for the link.

will keep an eye on it. the ss1 has a download movie for the intro of the game, nothing too special there.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
tsukaesugi said:
Yep, that's Warrior's Rage (in the lower left / 7 position).

The middle / 5 position is the first Hyper 64 SS, and the middle right / 6 position is the second Hyper release.

Ugh.

3D SS, SFC SS, PS SS, NGPC SS.

Ugh ugh ugh.

That reminds me: what's the PS SS game all about, that Warrior's Rage thing? It takes place like years after the continuity in the NeoGeo SS right, and Haohmaru is like this old wizened geezer now with the long beard and the grey hair without the magical mouse that keeps his hair spiking all over. I almost never hear people talking about this game, and it's not some port of the SS64 right?

tsukaesugi

bokmeow said:
That reminds me: what's the PS SS game all about, that Warrior's Rage thing? It takes place like years after the continuity in the NeoGeo SS right, and Haohmaru is like this old wizened geezer now with the long beard and the grey hair without the magical mouse that keeps his hair spiking all over. I almost never hear people talking about this game, and it's not some port of the SS64 right?

(*sigh* I'm supposed to be in bed. Damn Internet)

Yeah, Warrior's Rage was set twenty years or so after the normal SS storyline.

:mad:

You can play an older Haohmaru or Hanzo, and Nakoruru (and I think Rimu too can't remember or be assed to check) is in the cut scenes too- she was frozen in a crystal or something, so she's still a teenybopper.

IT IS NOT A HYPER 64 PORT. It's its own original game. Like Evil Wasabi once said "it plays like a fighting game made by people who have no conception of what a fighting game is". It's blocky, jerky, and slow with boring graphics and poo-poo for BGM.

They only good thing about this "game" is the cinemas that you can unlock after winning with certain characters, some of those movies were pretty neat (and I will grudgingly admit, there was some neat character design too).

I bought this sucker upon release back in the day and I was muchly disappointed.

World Heroes 2 > Warrior's Rage

bokmeow

I see... no wonder no one talks much about it. Who designed it? Was it licensed out to some other developer for release on the PS? I've noticed that Senri Kita still did the artwork for the PS Warrior's Rage.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
If I remember right, the Hattori Hanzo from Warrior's Rage is actually Shinzo, Hanzo's son. The one Amakusa stole the body from, and who is fred at the end of SS2.

tsukaesugi

bokmeow said:
I see... no wonder no one talks much about it. Who designed it? Was it licensed out to some other developer for release on the PS? I've noticed that Senri Kita still did the artwork for the PS Warrior's Rage.

Dunno... I think it was just one of those weird in-house SNK PSX games like "Athena: Waking from the Ordinary Life", and that other RPG they made.

I can tell you one thing though... I still see 12" statues of 'Rinka' (one of the female characters) for sale in Akihabara.

What a minor character, from such a minor game. Why the hell anyone make a 12" collectable statue of her is beyond me.

bokmeow

tsukaesugi said:
I can tell you one thing though... I still see 12" statues of 'Rinka' (one of the female characters) for sale in Akihabara.

What a minor character, from such a minor game. Why the hell anyone make a 12" collectable statue of her is beyond me.

Is it because maybe she's hawt?

And I bet it's teh R@r3

tsukaesugi

Hmkay said:
If I remember right, the Hattori Hanzo from Warrior's Rage is actually Shinzo, Hanzo's son. The one Amakusa stole the body from, and who is fred at the end of SS2.

That makes sense, 'cause Haohmaru has obviously aged, but Hanzo is the same. I always thought it was because we couldn't see the gray hairs behind the mask.

But then again, IIRC Hanzo says something like "It's been a long time hasn't it Haohmaru" when they meet...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hanzo is definitely the son, according to the All About book. I actually kind of dig the game. But of course, my expectations were super low. It definitely has a different pace (nicest way to put it), but I like the atmosphere and still play it occasionally.

Of course WH2 is better. I'm glad you're finally seeing the light on what a quality game it is.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to comment on the site. I like it overall, but I'm not crazy about them using the Star Trek font at the top to say "Samurai Spirits Official Website". What sense does that make? They could have picked a more appropriate font, imo.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I liked WR2 in 1P mode... the fights were a little challenging, but didn't force you to dig deeper into the limited gameplay than you wanted to. Story and character designs were excellent. I find that most people's opinions of the PSX release are colored by the fact that they wanted a Hyper port and got a raw deal.

SouthtownKid said:
I'm not crazy about them using the Star Trek font at the top to say "Samurai Spirits Official Website"
ROFL... nice catch.

"Feudal Japan... the final frontier. These are the voyages of the samurai Haohmaru. His 5 year mission: to explore strange new brands of sake, to seek out new opponents from other civilizations... to boldy kick dirt in samurai's faces where no one has kicked dirt their faces before!!!" <cue music> :D

Last edited: