I think the PSP would be perfect for hori-shmups

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Games like Gradius or R-Type would be great on it. Heck, maybe some orginal stuff. The nice crisp wide screen is perfect for some handheld hori-shmup action.

Anyone know of any shmups headed to the PSP?

BIG

sony fanboy
Sengoku Cannon by X-Nauts,AFAIK. However,the actual release date is TBA.

BIG-

SSS

neo retired
I think it would great for verts as well. You could turn it on it's side ala Raiden for the Lynx.

SSS

neo retired
super-saiya-jin said:
Wouldnt it be kinda hard using it like that?

Actually it's a little more comfortable than playing a PSP normally. Flip the unit Dpad down, and your right hand would go above the screen. X and O are within easy access of your thumb. Triangle is easy to access as well.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Nearly cracked and bought a PSP yesterday, but the lack of good games(for my tastes) except Vamp Chronicles was disturbing.
However, if they start pumping out shmups that are even half-decent, I will definitely buy a PSP.

Devilman78

Camel Slug
Would love to see more shmups on the PSP- however, I hope that they include rapid-fire, I usually consider using rapid-fire cheating on a home console, but it's difficult to keep the PSP still while trying to press a button repeatedly.

I'm sure other people that have played Galaga on the PSP know what I mean.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
This is the one thing I actually fear. If they release some good shooters on this system, I'll probably end up with a PSP in my hands at some point. Otherwise, I have no interest in a portable at that price point. It's just stupid.

Kind of funny. I would have never bought a PS2 either if it weren't for all the high quality shooters that it has exclusively ported to it.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
Actually it's a little more comfortable than playing a PSP normally. Flip the unit Dpad down, and your right hand would go above the screen. X and O are within easy access of your thumb. Triangle is easy to access as well.
Yeah, I just noticed that, it wouldn't be too hard for some vertical shmup action. And the wide screen is perfect too. Tap the PSP for some shmup action plz :buttrock: