PC Engine is/was THE machine for shooters?

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Tron 2.0 said:
PCE the price for it is very high :(

How much does it cost for the PCE shooter game
of Sylphia & is it a Hu-Card or a Super CD-Rom
game?. :D :kekeke:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Shawn Carr2o said:
How much does it cost for the PCE shooter game
of Sylphia & is it a Hu-Card or a Super CD-Rom
game?. :D :kekeke:
Super CD-Rom these days it can go over $200.00 :oh_no:

Still Sapphire is the only CD game that go's for the most on the PCE still.

Shooter wise any ways.

Last edited:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Damn! $294.95 is way to much for the PCE
Super CD-Rom game that I saw on ebay. :eek:

I am sure that I'll find a copy of the game
for a cheaper price someday. :( :kekeke:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Tron 2.0 said:
Super CD-Rom these days it can go over $200.00 :oh_no:

Still Sapphire is only CD game that go's for the most on the PCE still.

I rather pay for a Neo Geo MVS kit for that
much. :eek: :kekeke:

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Any body have a opinion on (Sylphia) or is it another over rated shooter?
More like over-priced; its kind of obscure.

plays like any vertical PCE shooter: simple & nothing spectacular

- it has a neat mythological/fantasy theme

a decent game.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Is their a TG-16 or PCE version of
Space Harrier Hu-Card game or a
CD game?. :kekeke: :)

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Psychic Storm is a cool vert shooter from Laser Soft and Alfa System that not many people talk about. It's got some shortcomings, but the presentation is nice and the gameplay is solid enough to make it worth checking it out.

psy4.gif
psychic3.gif

The most interesting gameplay addition is a transformation feature. Press I, your character shouts out "PSYCHIKUU STORM!", and your ship transforms into one of four weird bio-insect things depending on which character you choose. Each one has a different powerful weapon, but the transformation only lasts as long as the timer bar at the bottom of the screen. You can pick up orbs to add time on to the bar, and if you get hit time is taken off.

In normal ship mode, you have a life bar, and you can take six or seven hits before you die. You also have a charge bar which fills up quickly over time; when its full you press I + II at the same time to get a traditional bomb-type effect. This is more like a sub-weapon than a bomb though, as it's use is unlimited (the transformation has stocks though, up to three).

The game starts with a nice, albeit short, intro that highlights the characters:

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_02.GIF

Alexthander F. Lin
Codename: Duke in Scarlet
Sex: Male Age: 19 Bloodtype: O

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_04.GIF

Nastasia Ustinov
Codename: The Blue Shooting Star
Sex: Female Age: 22 Bloodtype: A

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_07.GIF

Joe McSimilien
Codename: Pirates of Violet
Sex: Male Age: 27 Bloodtype: B

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_09.GIF

Charr
Codename: The Black Widow
Sex: Male Age: 24 Bloodtype: AB

As mentioned above, there are some weaknesses that keep the game from being great. The ships seems kind of slow; in fact, the whole game seems a little slow. THis might be due to the scrolling speed or the occasional lack of enemies. I don't personally mind this cuz i don't need every shooter i play to be Cave-style craziness, but some people might get bored. Some of the BGs can be kind of sparse too, but i dig any game that has a "flying over a city at night" level, which in this case is New Hong Kong (the first level). THe game is pretty easy due to the life bar, sub-weapon, and transformations, but if you die you start at the beginning of a level. This pisses me off sometimes, as the levels (of which there are seven) are looooonnngggg, with two parts to each stage.

However, there are a lot of nice touches:
- There's a two-player mode where, when you transform, both players merge together, with one person shooting forward and one shooting backwards via a crosshairs.
- You can switch characters between stages.
- The enemy sprites are super-detailed and varied, with a sort of mechanized insect vibe, and the bosses are big and cool.
- Once you get to the third stage you can choose your path.
- THe BGM, while not overly memorable, has some nice tracks (i like the second stage particularly).
- THere is some awesome engrish: "YOU SHOOTED THE BOSS".
- With four characters each with a different main shot, sub-weapon, and psychic storm attack, there's a lot of weapon variety.

Overall, it's a game definitely worth buying, especially because it's pretty cheap. Hardcore shooter fans might find it boring or just average, but the small touches make it a game that will get plenty of play.

edit - props to http://www.retrogaming.it/ and http://pcenginebible.roarvgm.com/ for the screenshots.

Last edited:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Liquid Snake said:
Hucard
Not bad at all.......

If it is a Japanese Hu-Card game then it should work
on my Core Grafx system or if it is a USA Hu-Card game
then I can use the game with my Kisado Convertor
which you have to plug the US games to the Kisado
Convertor & then plug it in the Core Grafx to play it but
you need to have the Core Grafx modded for the Kisado
Convertor to work which D-Lite did a great! job modding
my Core Grafx unit. I have Space Harrier II for the
Genesis, but I want Space Harrier Hu-Card game to
play on my cool! Core Grafx System.
;) :cool:

I need to find a shooter game called Psychic Storm
plus other shooters & none shooters for my Core Grafx.
:cool: ;)

Last edited:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Dallas_Five said:
Psychic Storm is a cool vert shooter from Laser Soft and Alfa System that not many people talk about. It's got some shortcomings, but the presentation is nice and the gameplay is solid enough to make it worth checking it out.

psy4.gif
psychic3.gif

The most interesting gameplay addition is a transformation feature. Press I, your character shouts out "PSYCHIKUU STORM!", and your ship transforms into one of four weird bio-insect things depending on which character you choose. Each one has a different powerful weapon, but the transformation only lasts as long as the timer bar at the bottom of the screen. You can pick up orbs to add time on to the bar, and if you get hit time is taken off.

In normal ship mode, you have a life bar, and you can take six or seven hits before you die. You also have a charge bar which fills up quickly over time; when its full you press I + II at the same time to get a traditional bomb-type effect. This is more like a sub-weapon than a bomb though, as it's use is unlimited (the transformation has stocks though, up to three).

The game starts with a nice, albeit short, intro that highlights the characters:

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_02.GIF

Alexthander F. Lin
Codename: Duke in Scarlet
Sex: Male Age: 19 Bloodtype: O

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_04.GIF

Nastasia Ustinov
Codename: The Blue Shooting Star
Sex: Female Age: 22 Bloodtype: A

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_07.GIF

Joe McSimilien
Codename: Pirates of Violet
Sex: Male Age: 27 Bloodtype: B

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_09.GIF

Charr
Codename: The Black Widow
Sex: Male Age: 24 Bloodtype: AB

As mentioned above, there are some weaknesses that keep the game from being great. The ships seems kind of slow; in fact, the whole game seems a little slow. THis might be due to the scrolling speed or the occasional lack of enemies. I don't personally mind this cuz i don't need every shooter i play to be Cave-style craziness, but some people might get bored. Some of the BGs can be kind of sparse too, but i dig any game that has a "flying over a city at night" level, which in this case is New Hong Kong (the first level). THe game is pretty easy due to the life bar, sub-weapon, and transformations, but if you die you start at the beginning of a level. This pisses me off sometimes, as the levels (of which there are seven) are looooonnngggg, with two parts to each stage.

However, there are a lot of nice touches:
- There's a two-player mode where, when you transform, both players merge together, with one person shooting forward and one shooting backwards via a crosshairs.
- You can switch characters between stages.
- The enemy sprites are super-detailed and varied, with a sort of mechanized insect vibe, and the bosses are big and cool.
- Once you get to the third stage you can choose your path.
- THe BGM, while not overly memorable, has some nice tracks (i like the second stage particularly).
- THere is some awesome engrish: "YOU SHOOTED THE BOSS".
- With four characters each with a different main shot, sub-weapon, and psychic storm attack, there's a lot of weapon variety.

Overall, it's a game definitely worth buying, especially because it's pretty cheap. Hardcore shooter fans might find it boring or just average, but the small touches make it a game that will get plenty of play.

edit - props to http://www.retrogaming.it/ and http://pcenginebible.roarvgm.com/ for the screenshots.

I looked on ebay for Psychic Storm PCE SCD game just
now for only $24.99 buy it now price & I am thinking
about buying it. Not a bad price for a shooter game if
I say so myself. :D :kekeke:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Cnidarian said:
More like over-priced; its kind of obscure.

plays like any vertical PCE shooter: simple & nothing spectacular

- it has a neat mythological/fantasy theme

a decent game.
Thanks for feedback on that game i might check it out.

The theme itself has me interested any ways.

It's pricey that's for sure when i have the, time and money i'll get a copy.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Just snagged Psychic Storm and Spriggan off Egay...I shall now commence drooling in anticipation.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Got Gates of Thunder from Oldergames, played it today must say i'm very impressed.

Perhaps a little easy, tho i like the fact that power ups are replenished to avoid lewd battles with just a pee shooter.

Certainly shows what the SCD format can do.

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Baseley09 said:
Got Gates of Thunder from Oldergames, played it today must say i'm very impressed.

You seriously got it that fast?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Baseley09 said:

Perhaps a little easy, tho i like the fact that power ups are replenished to avoid lewd battles with just a pee shooter.

Certainly shows what the SCD format can do.

Bought a 3.0 card bundle with GOT because I had a friend who got a Duo and let me play it at his house...BLEW ME AWAY. Play it regularly to this day 10+ years later. I'm getting old.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
pixeljunkie said:
Just snagged Psychic Storm and Spriggan off Egay...I shall now commence drooling in anticipation.

Did you get Psychic Storm for $24.99 that I
posted that was on ebay. That's awesome!. :cool: :kekeke:

Btw: Is Psychic Storm & Spriggan any good?. ;) :cool:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Shawn Carr2o said:
Spriggan any good?. ;) :cool:
Spriggan is a damn good shooter if you like (M.U.S.H.A) on the (Genesis) then, you will love Spriggan.

The game has been ofthen label the sequel to M.U.S.H.A :buttrock:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Shawn Carr2o said:
Did you get Psychic Storm for $24.99 that I
posted that was on ebay. That's awesome!. :cool: :kekeke:

I don't think so...I paid $20 even for it.

Tron 2.0 said:
Spriggan is a damn good shooter if you like (M.U.S.H.A) on the (Genesis) then, you will love Spriggan.

The game has been ofthen label the sequel to M.U.S.H.A :buttrock:

Excellent! Should be arriving any day now. :buttrock:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
pixeljunkie said:
I don't think so...I paid $20 even for it.

Excellent! Should be arriving any day now. :buttrock:

That's awesome!. :D :buttrock:

Btw: isn't their 2 different Musha games because
I have a game called Musha that has a Samurai
fighting monsters & it is on my Super Nintendo. :D :kekeke:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
What other system could it be other than pc engine/turbografx/duo?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Been playing Spriggan and Nexzr like there is no tomorrow. Nexzr is addictive as hell and also amazingly frustrating at the same time. Spriggan is awesome. My last few nights have consisted entirely of these two games. :buttrock:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Haha, good to see the PCE shooter love here.

I really like Dead Moon for some reason. I'm mostly a horizontal shooter guy and the parallax scrolling in the Moon Stage (Stage 3) is impressive on such old hardware. The game is the right difficulty I think too.

And at first I didn't really like Lords of Thunder, but hell if it isn't one of the best shooters around. Lots of choices for your "ship"/robot/lord and the difficulty is just right. I loved R-Type as a kid, but that game is just ridiculously hard in some places.

And I think Blazing Lazers might very well be the best on the system. Vertical, which normally isn't my thing, but just a beautiful shooter. For some reason the voice samples in that game are really cool to me, if not barely recognizable.

I've tried to get into Download 2 and the cinema screens are great, but I find the gameplay lackluster.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I've always had the love for all domestic Turbo stuff....never stopped playing it since I got my first Turbo CD...once I got Gate of Thunder it was all over. Only recently have I started branching out into imports semi-seriously. Its nice to get that same feeling I got when I played Gate of Thunder all over again.

Melf

Cham Cham's Banana
Shawn Carr2o said:
That's awesome!. :D :buttrock:

Btw: isn't their 2 different Musha games because
I have a game called Musha that has a Samurai
fighting monsters & it is on my Super Nintendo. :D :kekeke:

MUSHA (Metallic Uniframe Super Hybrid Armor) on the Genesis was just the U.S. name for Aleste. There's another game released domestically on the Sega CD (Robo Aleste).

But yeah, there was a samurai game on SNES called Musya.

Musya.jpg

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I really liked dead moon too. It's so damn expensive. I think I like vertical shooters a little better, but not by much. Aero Blasters was kick ass. Blazing Lazers is awesome, and its cheap by comparison. I just recently got Air Zonk, amazing.