This car is basically the Opel Astra. :D

33205ionrl-comp-09.jpg

33205ionrl-comp-12.jpg

33205ionrl-comp-17.jpg

33205ionrl-comp-22.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
wow does this mean GM might enter into rally racing? i mean they have a machine that could do it. and ford is involved with the focus. and with citroen/peugeot leaving it leaves the floor open to new contrnders... maybe just a dream.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
wow does this mean GM might enter into rally racing? i mean they have a machine that could do it. and ford is involved with the focus. and with citroen/peugeot leaving it leaves the floor open to new contrnders... maybe just a dream.
Yeah, I wish it were true. Here's a Saturn Ion Rally Concept:
Turbocharged and AWD. :D

33203-IonRallyConcept-01.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i dig that ground clearance. that thing could catch some air if it hit a hill right. i also love the little parts that kinda stick out on the back windows. reminds me of the humps on the rear fenders on the renault 5 turbo. will the rally concept be available for people to buy?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i dig that ground clearance. that thing could catch some air if it hit a hill right. i also love the little parts that kinda stick out on the back windows. reminds me of the humps on the rear fenders on the renault 5 turbo. will the rally concept be available for people to buy?
I don't know too much about it yet, but for now it's only a concept. One of these days I hope that GM makes the move to WRC and maybe even F1. :D

I'm hearing rumors that Suzuki might go up from JWRC to WRC next year with the new Suzuki Swift. :D

06.txt

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i had a friend who had an old swift. that thing was a pice of trash. what are the specs on this new one? her car was just a general piece of shit. but i know compaies tend to make their sporting cars better than the ones consumers buy *cough* hyundai accent*cough*

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i had a friend who had an old swift. that thing was a pice of trash. what are the specs on this new one? her car was just a general piece of shit. but i know compaies tend to make their sporting cars better than the ones consumers buy *cough* hyundai accent*cough*
Well if the Swift goes into WRC, I expect it will have 300+hp, 550+lb ft of torque, AWD, etc. (this is strictly WRC spec).

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
Well if the Swift goes into WRC, I expect it will have 300+hp, 550+lb ft of torque, AWD, etc. (this is strictly WRC spec).
yeah and maybe it'll have a hood that doesn't need to be duct taped on. hahaha sorry i've never liked the swift

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
yeah and maybe it'll have a hood that doesn't need to be duct taped on. hahaha sorry i've never liked the swift
The car Suzuki has been using lately is the Ignis. I definitely like that car a lot, but I guess Suzuki figures they have to move on.

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
That Saturn Ion Redline is nothing compared to real Opel, the new Astra OPC, which will be one badass hatchback.

2 litre turbocharged 240hp engine with max torque of 320 Nm.

1109003390_rgsa_nouv_h2_b_small.jpg

1109685159_dsc_0104_small.jpg

1109861428_dsc00052_small.jpg

1109861432_dsc00053_small.jpg

Robert

20 Year Member
Ok guys, I take this thread very late but as some here know I'm mostly a car junkie. I won't start to explain all what I like since it'll be too long so I'll answer to the last discussion.

Suzuki will move to the WRC to get a better media coverage in Europe I think. The Ignis running in Super 1600 couldn't get enough coverage to push the Suzuki sales. I don't know how Suzuki cars are considered in the US but here in france when you say Suzuki, you think about the little ugly 4*4 they produce. Suzuki wants to push their non 4*4 sales and WRC is a good way to attract a new audiance.
For the Departure of Peugeot and Citroen from the WRC it's a huge mistake for many reasons.
-Peugeot needs to work on the 307 again and I don't think the development will be fully made since the team will search a new job over the season. Peugeot has signed with Pirelli and needs to adapt the new tyres plus some points (reliability of engines+gearboxes) are not satisfying enough.
-Citroen has nothing to worry about the Xsara since it's fully developped and optimized but they were preparing a new WRC killer, the C4 WRC. From Sebastien Loeb opinion who test drove the car, it was a huge improvement over the Xsara. Sadly, it'll go to the museum before touching any WRC events.
-Many people are afraid about the racing promotions organized by Peugeot and Citroen. First in the row is the super 1600, this formula could promote young drivers to a WRC seat but what's the use of running for both brands if they can't offer you the next step. Many formula are worrying about budget cut and it would a desaster for the french and even european sport scene.
We need a french manufacturer in the WRC championish and none of them are willing to make the 2006 season (Renault has too much to do with the F1). A huge shame for all the french racing fans.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Tony_N said:
That Saturn Ion Redline is nothing compared to real Opel, the new Astra OPC, which will be one badass hatchback.

2 litre turbocharged 240hp engine with max torque of 320 Nm.
Nothing compared to the real Opel? Like I said previously, performance driving isn't just about HP and torque. It's about handling and braking as well as the overall feel of the car. The Astra and the Ion share the same platform (Delta platform). And as a matter of fact, Saturn actually got to use it in their Ion first before Opel used it in their Astra even though Opel made it!

In summary: Only HP and Torque does not a good car make.

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
Lets Gekiga In said:
Nothing compared to the real Opel? Like I said previously, performance driving isn't just about HP and torque. It's about handling and braking as well as the overall feel of the car. The Astra and the Ion share the same platform (Delta platform). And as a matter of fact, Saturn actually got to use it in their Ion first before Opel used it in their Astra even though Opel made it!

In summary: Only HP and Torque does not a good car make.
That's right.

I was more talking about the overall car. I mean the new Astra is much better looking and the interior is obviously more beautiful than the basic plastic look of Ion.

It would actually be better to compare the Astra GTC to the Ion I guess.. since the OPC is most likely way ahead..

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Tony_N said:
That's right.

I was more talking about the overall car. I mean the new Astra is much better looking and the interior is obviously more beautiful than the basic plastic look of Ion.

It would actually be better to compare the Astra GTC to the Ion I guess.. since the OPC is most likely way ahead..
This is only the start of more greater things to come for Saturn and GM in general.

The Saturn Sky is one of those things.

There are also rumors that Saturn could be taking more (if not all) from Opel's lineup in the future.

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
Lets Gekiga In said:
This is only the start of more greater things to come for Saturn and GM in general.

The Saturn Sky is one of those things.

There are also rumors that Saturn could be taking more (if not all) from Opel's lineup in the future.
Interesting to see what the giant GM is up to. Actually it worries me, take the whole Saab matter for example. Who knows what happens to Opel. It looks like GM is starting to focus more on badges of US origin, like now they start to build a new Cadillac in Trollhättan.

Robert

20 Year Member
Lets gegika in is more than right when it comes to "HPs do not make a car".
Even if I'm a little biased on this one, if you want a good front wheel drive turbo hatchback, the Renault megane RS is the real deal. Especially if you consider that Renault sport will make a new special version with a much better direction feeling, new suspension set up (those who drove a Clio RS with the sport suspension option know that renault sport is serious material), and lighter wheels. Man these cars are made at Dieppe, in the factory that used to make the alpine cars.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Tony_N said:
Interesting to see what the giant GM is up to. Actually it worries me, take the whole Saab matter for example. Who knows what happens to Opel. It looks like GM is starting to focus more on badges of US origin, like now they start to build a new Cadillac in Trollhättan.
Opel has been with GM since 1929 and they have a closer relationship than Saab IMO. A lot of people are spreading rumors that GM might sell Saab off while Buick or Pontiac could go away as well.

Robert said:
Even if I'm a little biased on this one, if you want a good front wheel drive turbo hatchback, the Renault megane RS is the real deal. Especially if you consider that Renault sport will make a new special version with a much better direction feeling, new suspension set up (those who drove a Clio RS with the sport suspension option know that renault sport is serious material), and lighter wheels. Man these cars are made at Dieppe, in the factory that used to make the alpine cars.
Oh man, I really wish we had Renault over here right now. Has there been any news lately as to whether Renault could stage a comeback in the U.S. market? I really hope so because I really love the Megane.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
There seems to be good news for Isuzu! They are having their i-280 and i-350 pickup trucks go on sale this summer.

isuzutrucks.txt

This is really good news because right now Isuzu is only making the Ascender 5-passenger and 7-passenger versions. Isuzu also looks to add a new SUV in 2007. I'm still a bit disappointed that Isuzu and/or GM stopped making the Rodeo and the Axiom since that was what made Isuzu unique.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Robert said:
dude, renault so needs to come over here. i was looking at their car lineup last night and man. i fell in love with the clio V-6. just watching it reminds me of the 5 turbo. i want a renault!

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I personally don't like the current Renaults, the new Megane looks horrible, I prefer the old coupe/cabriolette.

I was wondering, do you watch any Car-related TV shows?

Here in Argentina we have a show that's aired on ESPN called "A todo motor", and it sucks.

Anyway, I dowload the best show ever weekly, it's called "Top Gear", and I am sure most of you already know the show (at least I know Tony_N does).

"Fifth Gear" is pretty good as well, but nothing can touch Top Gear.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
I personally don't like the current Renaults, the new Megane looks horrible, I prefer the old coupe/cabriolette.

I was wondering, do you watch any Car-related TV shows?

Here in Argentina we have a show that's aired on ESPN called "A todo motor", and it sucks.

Anyway, I dowload the best show ever weekly, it's called "Top Gear", and I am sure most of you already know the show (at least I know Tony_N does).

"Fifth Gear" is pretty good as well, but nothing can touch Top Gear.
I watch Fifth Gear whenever I get a chance to, but I wish there would be some new episodes on because I think I've seen them all.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i used to get the speed channel and they had all sorts of racing events on even rally racing from time to time. now i get nothing. though i'm interested in this show Top Gear. is it in english? where do you download it?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i used to get the speed channel and they had all sorts of racing events on even rally racing from time to time. now i get nothing. though i'm interested in this show Top Gear. is it in english? where do you download it?
Why don't you get Speed channel anymore? :(

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
Why don't you get Speed channel anymore? :(
no more digital cable. i miss the channel. i wanna find these other shows you speak of and watch them.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
no more digital cable. i miss the channel. i wanna find these other shows you speak of and watch them.
Speed Channel alone is worth the price of cable. As a matter of fact I think it's the only channel I watch other than local TV stations. :p