Car Enthusiast Thread

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
I'm glad that the Solstice will be getting some more power, we need another S2000 contender (or even A contender to the S2000) in the market. ;)

600 hp Corvette!?!?!?! :drool: :drool_2:

That would definitely be something amazing.

the Corvette has always been my favorite American Sportscar It's nice to see it spanking the pants off the poorly builty Viper even more.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The Corvette is definitely a better handling car than the Viper. I think it's always been that way for the most part well since the Viper first began production.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
The Corvette is definitely a better handling car than the Viper. I think it's always been that way for the most part well since the Viper first began production.

Well the viper if I remember was quite a rushed production and still doesn't even have it's own unique engine. Just a modification of a truck engine No good

Robert

20 Year Member
The difference between a Type R and a Si model?

Do yourself a favor and stop thinking about horsepower, max speed, 0-60.

The difference from a Si and a type R.

When the guys designed the type R, they said "here's the model we have to work with, how to make it a good track tool"
Basicelly they try to answer this question by modifying accordingly the car. It's not only more power, one more speed and a firmer ride. It's all those things that make a car good on a track. Body reinforcement, better brake, more direct steering, weight saving, suspesnsion geometry, etc..

This is why, even if the type R serie is not the most powerful one, it's still one of the most respected through the world when it comes to drive hard.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
True performance is always what I go after first. A true sports car needs to have good handling, good power, good brakes, etc.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Robert said:

When the guys designed the type R, they said "here's the model we have to work with, how to make it a good track tool"
Basicelly they try to answer this question by modifying accordingly the car. It's not only more power, one more speed and a firmer ride. It's all those things that make a car good on a track. Body reinforcement, better brake, more direct steering, weight saving, suspesnsion geometry, etc..

This is why, even if the type R serie is not the most powerful one, it's still one of the most respected through the world when it comes to drive hard.

I really wish Honda would give us the latest and greatest with the Civic, but honestly Americans wouldn't spend $25k+ on a Civic. :(

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Robert said:

The type R of course is the true sport model of the car whether it has most Hp or not (though as far as i've seen it usually does) The R in the japan racing world is like our GT Both are symbols of the pinnacle of the automobile only to be further enhanced by our own dreams. I wish we had more R types in the states. the sentra R is definately not the R type I wish to be seeing on the road nor some dumb ricer kins Civic EX with an R slapped on it.

Speaking of Ricer kids I'm seeing a lot of half assed attempts at trying to "pimp out" cars latetly. People who only slap on a trash can muffler and a wirey wing and they think they're going to fly. I wonder how many of these people actually modify whats under the hood

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
I really wish Honda would give us the latest and greatest with the Civic, but honestly Americans wouldn't spend $25k+ on a Civic. :(

Well more likely if it were to ever happen it'd be an Acura not a Honda. I think it could happen one day. We are seeing more and more japanese cars coming over in the past few years. The Evo 8 and G35 (skyline) are two good examples I think with the growing interest in import cars by american consumers we can be seeing some type Rs and other models floating our way

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
Speaking of Ricer kids I'm seeing a lot of half assed attempts at trying to "pimp out" cars latetly. People who only slap on a trash can muffler and a wirey wing and they think they're going to fly. I wonder how many of these people actually modify whats under the hood
you know those fuckers don't at most they get a cone air filter from pep boys and call it a day. hahaha

Robert

20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:

I would spend 50 000 euros on a Civic if it would worth it (I mean driving wise).

Do yourself an other favor and stop thinking about the badge.

If Kia was releasing a Very Good sport car, I would be the first one to sign the check.

You know what I miss the most in the french production today, a car like the 106 Rallye. (type "106 rallye" in google to know more)

It didn't have power steering, but I don't care since it's light (800 kg, yes 800 kg!!!).
It had only 100 HP (but it was from a 1300 cm3 and it was at 7200 RPM) but I don't care since I won't bring it to the drag race.
It didn't have alloy wheel, but I don't care since I don't want to be the cool guy of my street.
It didn't have any option but I don't care since I won't use them anyway.

So what is has: overall pretty nice balance, sharp handling, strong braking, revvy engine and TONS of fun. And this is what I search.

Price tage: 11000$ when it was sold.

If Kia or any obscure chinese car manufacturers can bring this spirit back to life again, I'm on the list.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i doubt any of those little chinese or korean automakers can spark crazy little cars such as the 106. i mean that kinda stuff just doesn't happen these days. every company is about gas mileage or about amenities within the car and not about the car's performance or handling, or just plain power. and those that are don't make much of a profit anyways as their cars don't sell, and they had better have a branch that makes the cars that do sell or their wallets will be empty and fast. it's like enault losing the clio, toyota dropping the MR2, supra, and celica, and the NSX just becoming a piece of crap. and the camaro fading from existence. the modern day auto manufacturer just doesn't have the time or funding for sports when sports arent what sells. you'll never see the kinda love for cars as it was in the 60's here in america out on the drag strip with cars like the GTX, firebird, nova, and charger. or as it was in europe in the late 70's to early 80's with the lancia stratos, the audi quattro, the peugeot 205 turbo, the renault 5 turbo, and the lancia delta S4. flying through the dirt at high speeds and millions of fans camped out for hours just to see em blaze past. the relationship between man and car has changed. changed to the point at which true gearheads, the real people who love a car for what it truly is are now few and far between. now it's soup up this or rice out that, and the auto makers will keep putting out front wheel drive cheap machines and people will keep "making them fast"while the truly fast cars are now over priced, undersold, and being taken off the market. that or the things that give a car it's perfoemance are made electronic so they can be easily and cheaply put out. lik electronic 4 wheel drive, sure it's nice and all but what happens when a wire gets busted there goes your whole drivetrain. the dual diferential system can't be beat. we have wires now and electronics now and we have cars that just seem to have fallen far from their roots and those that havent have dissapeared from the production lines.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Gas is $2.50/gallon here, hopefully the roads will clear of those damned SUVs soon. :multi_co:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Robert said:
I would spend 50 000 euros on a Civic if it would worth it (I mean driving wise).

Do yourself an other favor and stop thinking about the badge.

I'm not the problem. I'd buy a Civic Type R if I could, if the opportunity presented itself. But I am in the minority not the majority hence I said America (the majority) wouldn't spend 25k+ on a Civic. Simple as that.

Robert said:
If Kia was releasing a Very Good sport car, I would be the first one to sign the check.

This reminds me when Kia bought the Elan designs from Lotus in the mid 90's. Kia kept the excellent handling and beautiful design, but installed their own engines making the car cheaper for the masses without compromising its sportiness. Unfortunately, the Kia Elan was exclusive to the Korean market. :crying:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Charles Franklin Fernandez said:
This reminds me when Kia bought the Elan designs from Lotus in the mid 90's. Kia kept the excellent handling and beautiful design, but installed their own engines making the car cheaper for the masses without compromising its sportiness. Unfortunately, the Kia Elan was exclusive to the Korean market. :crying:

That is so fucking weak. :(

I would probably buy a Kia Elan. :D

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
from a company that can't make a transmission to a company that can't make an engine. good move kia and lotus good move.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Here's your Kia Elan! Man, I wish I had one. :drool:

KIAelan.jpg

Robert

20 Year Member

I remember that. I was shocked in the first place but Lotus had to survive in those time (before the explosion of the Elise) so making money buy selling an old model to Kia was a good idea.

I would like to know how the Kia model feels compared to the original one.

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
Kim _Kaphwan said:
do you have any more rally movies for us to download? hahaha
I guess I do.
I lack a tracker now though and don't feel like using a public one...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Can i get a rundown and opinions on the Porsche boxster. They are extremely affordable, so it has caught my eye.

No " omg get a 240sx and put a turbo in it for the same price" responses.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
NeoSneth said:
Can i get a rundown and opinions on the Porsche boxster. They are extremely affordable, so it has caught my eye.

No " omg get a 240sx and put a turbo in it for the same price" responses.
OMG GET A BMW Z4 FOR THE SAME PRICE CAUSE IT'S LITERALLY THE SAME CAR!

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
NeoSneth - what about the SLK 55 AMG?

I'd definitely take that over the Boxster.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
NeoSneth - what about the SLK 55 AMG?

I'd definitely take that over the Boxster.

Pretty big price difference.

$44,595 (Boxter) vs. $61,275 (SLK 55 AMG)