Car Enthusiast Thread

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I've owned a couple challengers over the years; An 09 rt automatic, an a 10 srt 6.1 automatic, and 2015 shaker rt.

The first two cars were decent on a straight line and that was about it. Horrible handling, on even the srt. I recall getting it over 110 once and it felt so floaty and unstable at those speeds I never got close to them again. And the interiors were pretty poor. Adequate and comfortable but looked about the same as the neon interior.

But. The shaker rt was a different story. The challenger rts (and I think it's even an option on the v6s now) got an optional handling package and all the srts got a much improved suspension in 2011/12. the shaker rts all have that suspension as part of the package and I'd say it improved the handling from crap to tolerable. It still has that big car feel but it has far less body roll and more responsive steering. Also they improved the interiors on the 15s too. I wouldn't expect it to match a European cars interior, but interiors aren't why i buy a sports car anyways.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've owned a couple challengers over the years; An 09 rt automatic, an a 10 srt 6.1 automatic, and 2015 shaker rt.

The first two cars were decent on a straight line and that was about it. Horrible handling, on even the srt. I recall getting it over 110 once and it felt so floaty and unstable at those speeds I never got close to them again. And the interiors were pretty poor. Adequate and comfortable but looked about the same as the neon interior.

But. The shaker rt was a different story. The challenger rts (and I think it's even an option on the v6s now) got an optional handling package and all the srts got a much improved suspension in 2011/12. the shaker rts all have that suspension as part of the package and I'd say it improved the handling from crap to tolerable. It still has that big car feel but it has far less body roll and more responsive steering. Also they improved the interiors on the 15s too. I wouldn't expect it to match a European cars interior, but interiors aren't why i buy a sports car anyways.

Imagine being able to steer being an optional extra.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Imagine being able to steer being an optional extra.

At least where I live, what good is solid handing if the roads are total shit? Many of our streets have decayed to the point where I'd be afraid to drive on larger wheels with low profile tires.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My G35 was totaled last month. Finally found a replacement car :cool:

300c.jpg

PS. MURICA!

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
At least where I live, what good is solid handing if the roads are total shit? Many of our streets have decayed to the point where I'd be afraid to drive on larger wheels with low profile tires.
Are interstate roads in much better condition than surface streets in Illinois? Because it is night and day difference in NE Ohio.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Are interstate roads in much better condition than surface streets in Illinois? Because it is night and day difference in NE Ohio.

For the most part, Interstates are far better than city roads. I feel this is one of the reasons why many are so heavily patrolled, Illinois loves giving out speeding tickets.

Back when I had my performance cars, I would only really open them up on the highway...which is dumb, but I was much younger I guess. An empty country road may have had less police interaction...but god, were they unsafe for high speed. There's still plenty of driver deaths when some moron tries to open up their car on a country road.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
So, my friend has been busy building that Audi R8 that I helped with Motec

From outside the car now looks like this:
View attachment 37359

And the Lamborghini engine has got two turbos to join the fun
View attachment 37360

So they were 3rd in world championship today. Not bad for car build in home garage and driver who is shopkeeper that has been driving for few years.

Although now they have Audi's V10 with biturbos instead of that biturbo lambo engine.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Haven't done much gaming lately since I got this beast. Early 40th bday present. 1951 Chevy 3100, 2" drop spindles and springs, subframed with power steering and power disc front brakes, 350 w/ th 350 trans, 18" wheels on front, 20" on back, vintage a/c.
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1580.PNG
IMG_1575.PNG
IMG_1581.PNG
IMG_1582.PNG

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Have any of you guys dealt with carmax? What's the deal with them? are they shady or legit? Do they really not negotiate on price? They seem like this major operation, but my gut is telling me to steer clear.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Have any of you guys dealt with carmax? What's the deal with them? are they shady or legit? Do they really not negotiate on price? They seem like this major operation, but my gut is telling me to steer clear.

They are a massive organization for reselling used cars. They wouldn't be as big as they are if they were completely shady.
That being said, their salesman get paid commissions just like any other salesperson. They want to sell you a car for as much as you are willing to pay, plus a warranty.

I know quite a few people that have bought and sold to them due to their no-hassle approach.
They'll give you a reasonable offer on your car if they think it's something they can sell.

I'm not so keen on aftermarket warranties unless it's a car model year with known pitfalls.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Jalopnik usually has articles about Carmax being a good place to buy Bimmers and Range Rovers, as NeoSneth said due to aftermarket warranties.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. Will stop by this weekend.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
has any driven a VW golf gti with and without the performance package? Just wondering if you felt the difference from the lsd and how they drive. Gti and focus ST is on my short list along with a chevy colorado if i cant get a good deal on either.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

If they're set up like similar large second hand car dealers we have here, they make their money on the extras. They will push you relentlessly to take out their extended warranties, finance deals, breakdown recovery, paint protection etc etc etc. If you are the kind of person who can say no with ease then I wouldn't have any worries buying from them. If you know you can easily be talked into these things then it's best to avoid them.

Also, put aside at least an hour for the buying process while they take you through the endless paperwork of the sales experience.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
If they're set up like similar large second hand car dealers we have here, they make their money on the extras. They will push you relentlessly to take out their extended warranties, finance deals, breakdown recovery, paint protection etc etc etc. If you are the kind of person who can say no with ease then I wouldn't have any worries buying from them. If you know you can easily be talked into these things then it's best to avoid them.

Also, put aside at least an hour for the buying process while they take you through the endless paperwork of the sales experience.

ugh. I am fine saying "no" but I really hate how much time salespeople waste. Fucking hate buying cars, I really do.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Gonna need a story there. Did it hit animal, object, or another vehicle?

I was taking a nap at work. I woke up and headed out to go eat lunch and bam a truck pulling a trailer clipped my bumper as I was a little to close to the road waiting on traffic to clear. Looking back on it I think I was still half asleep while driving.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I was taking a nap at work. I woke up and headed out to go eat lunch and bam a truck pulling a trailer clipped my bumper as I was a little to close to the road waiting on traffic to clear. Looking back on it I think I was still half asleep while driving.

Don't lie you were shitfaced and ran over a bunch of pedestrians.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Got my own personal automobile again. XV40 Toyota Camry V6 XLE.

Congrats on getting a car.
What year is the car? 2010?
They look pretty good, and drive so so.

My girlfriend's mom had one and brakes felt mushy and car was pretty slow, but it got really good milage. In addition, it was super reliable for the 7-8 years they owned it. Never had a single issue with that car.
My girlfriend's A4 on the other hand was a different story.

Her parents both own Toyota cars (Rav4, FJ, Tacoma Prerunner) and every time she had an issue would tell her, "You should just get a Toyota."

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member

They are legit. If you want a lol, google Doug Demuro and Carmax.