Car Enthusiast Thread

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I will never get low profile tires again if i can help it. I've replaced 2 cracked rims, and I have another with a substantial dent.
I went through two tires with impact bubbles, and 2 that tore open.
This was all on city streets at low speeds.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Tire rack or just going to your dealer, my dealer's prices are pretty much on par w/online pricing so that is how I scooped my winter wheels and tires. Any dealer in a cold climate area should have winter sets in stock.

I'll say, dealerships have come a long way concerning the affordability of their tires. 10+ years ago? You'd be insane to get tires form a dealership, they'd gouge the hell out of you. Now? They've really come around, I guess lack of business will sober you up pretty quick.

The same goes for minor maint...they're getting better about that as well.

I will never get low profile tires again if i can help it. I've replaced 2 cracked rims, and I have another with a substantial dent.
I went through two tires with impact bubbles, and 2 that tore open.
This was all on city streets at low speeds.

The smaller streets of STL can be brutal...Chicago can be just a horrible on the smaller city streets.

Northern streets are really hitting a point of massive disrepair. Most states do not have a ton of $$ to drop on them, so they don't. Our current tactic is to chip seal already shitty roads with tar and rocks...and then basically let traffic compact it for you. It's a freaking mess and only helps things out for a year or so until the cracks/potholes come back.

Every time I drive down south (way down south), I'm shocked at how smooth the roads are. They don't have the freezing/thawing process that we do.

When I had 19" wheels on my GTO coupled to very thin sidewall tires, I was always cautious of where I was going. I've personally known many people that have creamed costly performance wheels/tires on our crap roads.

Another reason to love my truck with it's high ground clearance and massive sidewall tires.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I appreciate the advice, like I said, I will have to research it.

As for the roads around here, we're very lucky. Basically, my entire commute has been repaved. Just the neighborhood where I live is a mess. They do the same shit Smokehouse was saying: crew comes by every few months with a truck filled with tar. It doesn't last a year, though, not even close.

I drive on OH-68 every day to work...well, night, I work 3rds. The whole road has been repaved over the last 2 years. The crew that did it was incredible, too. They set up signs a month before they started. Once starting, they closed off one lane a night, and were able to do about a mile per night. The following evening, they did the other side of the road. I wish all road construction was done this way...no closed off roads with grooved pavement for years on end.

Jon

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I think that many American performance cars have long had it where it counts...and little else. My 2003 Cobra was brutally fast, and it handled, and it could stop very well...but god almighty, the interior was total shit. It had the same garbage, plastic crap as a bone stock V6 model. The ride was harsh, the seating position was harsh, the clutch would ungodly stiff...it was a punishing car. Dodge interiors are mostly the same, give or take. I find their approach to cars to be interesting, and a bit of a throwback to what musclecars used to be. In a time when most car companies are beginning to try to step up for foreign designers in terms of all around performance, Dodge is all "fuck it, point it in a straight line and floor it". The Challenger Demon is a prime example of that, that thing is a stock insanity machine. If that flavor of insanity is your bag, they got your number. If you want the thing to corner or stop on a dime...look somewhere else.

When i said everything about that Challenger sucked (besides asthetics) I meant it. It wasn't fast. Terrible throttle response. No handling. Rode like a stiff boat (WTF?!?!) Cluster was damn near un-readable. HVAC controls were a bitch, and the HVAC was either on broiler or freezer. Etc, etc, etc. I wasn't expecting the ride or handling to be great. But was shocked at how bad it was in this day and age. I was expecting it to have some go. And again it failed miserably. I'm told the nicer models are better in some departments. But yeah, it wasn't for me. I'd rather have something fugly that did what it was supposed to well rather than all show no go.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
When i said everything about that Challenger sucked (besides asthetics) I meant it. It wasn't fast. Terrible throttle response. No handling. Rode like a stiff boat (WTF?!?!) Cluster was damn near un-readable. HVAC controls were a bitch, and the HVAC was either on broiler or freezer. Etc, etc, etc. I wasn't expecting the ride or handling to be great. But was shocked at how bad it was in this day and age. I was expecting it to have some go. And again it failed miserably. I'm told the nicer models are better in some departments. But yeah, it wasn't for me. I'd rather have something fugly that did what it was supposed to well rather than all show no go.

A buddy of mine had a late 2000's Challenger RT manual...yeah, it wasn't very impressive to drive. He bought a 2014 SRT 8 392 manual and yeah, it was a completely different story. That thing could flat out move. I never did anything more than point it in a straight line and mash...but it was no slouch. I drove it once, so I'll honestly say that I didn't pay much attention to the interior. I remember the seats being nice but that's out it. He traded it on a 2500 series Ram with the diesel I6. My one real beef with the Challenger, which has always been since they came out with it is the size. They are huge vehicles, far larger than most imagine they are. They drive "huge" as well.

I really want to try out a new Mustang GT with the new 10 speed auto. 0-60 in that fella is supposed to be in the sub 4 second range.

Sadly, I doubt I ever will. I don't know anyone in the market for such a thing and I won't be either so I cannot see myself being in a situation to drive one.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I have to say I'm proud to see an American car fan who admits they're big cars made to go really fast in a straight line with an absolute shit interior. I'll add in shit visibility too.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I'll add in shit visibility too.

Often overlooked, but fuk yeah man.
Let's put this B pillar right in your blind spot, and then add a tiny rear window that has the view blocked by a superficial spoiler.....

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have to say I'm proud to see an American car fan who admits they're big cars made to go really fast in a straight line with an absolute shit interior. I'll add in shit visibility too.

I'll gladly admit that, its true. I don't know if the new model is so bad...but the redesigned Camaro had the worst visibility of any car I've ever sat in...it was horrid.

I will say that some US companies are getting serious about real, track ready cars...but you're talking far more $$ than most are willing to spend. The Camaro Z28, The Mustang Boss Laguna Seca or GT350 (you know, sans overheating issues), The Corvette Z06, the new Ford GT...they will put their $$ where their mouth is...but they come with a high price tag. Hell, I remember seeing decent track times from Cadillac CTS-V...

I think this is why I have an odd respect for Dodge. The Hellcat and Demon packages are just bonkers...and they don't give a shit. They are the last company to say "fuck it, point it straight and mash the throttle...who cares how it turns" and as silly as this is, it's fun.

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
So basically bought the Audi S8 :D It is in different city, so they will drive it here for the test drive and I'll check the car and read fault codes etc and if everything is ok, I'll buy it. From 4.2TDI to 4.0 TFSI...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
look if u want electric vehicle supremacy u need battery & solar collector tech

I'm not seeing massive R&D $ promises getting thrown around

You're also forgetting Toyota has a hydrogen car on the road now. It's 60k but it can be bought.

These things are on like model year one now. 2020, 2030, 2040? They will get more common, cheaper, and ordinary. Let's be real here: the days of the fossil fuel car are numbered. Electrics, hydrogen that's where we are going. Diesel and gasoline they're on the verge of becoming collectible machines only.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
I'll gladly admit that, its true. I don't know if the new model is so bad...but the redesigned Camaro had the worst visibility of any car I've ever sat in...it was horrid.

I will say that some US companies are getting serious about real, track ready cars...but you're talking far more $$ than most are willing to spend. The Camaro Z28, The Mustang Boss Laguna Seca or GT350 (you know, sans overheating issues), The Corvette Z06, the new Ford GT...they will put their $$ where their mouth is...but they come with a high price tag. Hell, I remember seeing decent track times from Cadillac CTS-V...

I think this is why I have an odd respect for Dodge. The Hellcat and Demon packages are just bonkers...and they don't give a shit. They are the last company to say "fuck it, point it straight and mash the throttle...who cares how it turns" and as silly as this is, it's fun.

I just wish Dodge would cut down the weight.. I mean a Hellcat with 400lbs less would be another story. I always thought the Viper needed a dual clucth tranny to stay alive as well.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Anybody got a dash cam? I just installed one, have yet to drive with it. I rarely drive anymore, but my wife will definitely get good use with it in her car. Seems to be one of those things that are really nice to have when something dumb happens on the road and having immediate proof to back it up.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Anybody got a dash cam? I just installed one, have yet to drive with it. I rarely drive anymore, but my wife will definitely get good use with it in her car. Seems to be one of those things that are really nice to have when something dumb happens on the road and having immediate proof to back it up.

How often does your wife do dumb shit where she needs a dash cam?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
SOON

Let's be real here: the days of the fossil fuel car are numbered. Electrics, hydrogen that's where we are going. Diesel and gasoline they're on the verge of becoming collectible machines only.
MICYb5b.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
How often does your wife do dumb shit where she needs a dash cam?

Every damn day. My women is one of those people that is more focused on what everyone else around the world is doing while she is driving.
I close my eyes quite a bit.

I installed a dash cam, and I save stuff almost daily.
I got a nice vid of my Mercedes getting rear ended by some teenager.

https://gfycat.com/VengefulGrippingHedgehog
No one was hurt, despite the windshield.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Learned something new today. Ireland sells RHD Opels instead of Vauxhalls. I've always been fond of the Vectra and Insignia.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

I've got my eye on that 2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody.

dg018_271cljkfrtolftm0hq6ms2ffbejpd4n.jpg

Though as much as I like the looks of it, I think if I were to buy another challenger, I would just get the AWD version they have out. Been thinking about changing vehicles to something a bit better in worse weather as I'm looking at taking a job that will put me with much more of a drive.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Learned something new today. Ireland sells RHD Opels instead of Vauxhalls. I've always been fond of the Vectra and Insignia.

Same cars though. They're only vauxhall in the uk, Australia and New Zealand. All other ,arrest get opels. And now that gm has sold them to Peugeot just wait for the designs to change.... And get worse.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Same cars though. They're only vauxhall in the uk, Australia and New Zealand. All other ,arrest get opels. And now that gm has sold them to Peugeot just wait for the designs to change.... And get worse.

The vectra was a great car. The insignia is fucking garbage. Head gaskets, fly wheels, electrical gremlins, even the fucking badges keep falling off the front of them, it really is a throw back to motoring three decades ago.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Every damn day. My women is one of those people that is more focused on what everyone else around the world is doing while she is driving.
I close my eyes quite a bit.

I installed a dash cam, and I save stuff almost daily.
I got a nice vid of my Mercedes getting rear ended by some teenager.

https://gfycat.com/VengefulGrippingHedgehog
No one was hurt, despite the windshield.

How does one hit the windshield with a seat belt on? nug?:scratch:

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I've got my eye on that 2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody.

View attachment 46508

Though as much as I like the looks of it, I think if I were to buy another challenger, I would just get the AWD version they have out. Been thinking about changing vehicles to something a bit better in worse weather as I'm looking at taking a job that will put me with much more of a drive.

I was never a fan of the challenger's rear. I always felt it was too narrow. This looks ok, bUT a bit lazy. They seem to just have added molded in fender flares, and not really widened the rear.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I was never a fan of the challenger's rear. I always felt it was too narrow. This looks ok, bUT a bit lazy. They seem to just have added molded in fender flares, and not really widened the rear.

I think that is about what it is. Wider tires, bumped out fenders, more drag lower top speed. That sort of thing. I like the look of it though, but not so much in that color. That's just a picture I could find that showed the sides good. I'm keeping my eye on it though as once it is out I am interested in seeing how it goes over and if it is any improvement.

Would I buy one? No. not for the about 80k they are going to be asking for it. Maybe once they hit the second hand market.