Car Enthusiast Thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Not for 70k you can't though.

Me personally though at the price, I'd go for the new Mustang Shelby GT350. It'll probably be a little cheaper than the Hellcats too if you can find one.

Hellcat motor is nice, but those platforms are decade old ass Chrysler junk. Floaty/bloated cars.

Yenko Camaro is out soon too I think. 700HP, much better platform if you can get over the vomit inducing looks of a rolling bunker/pillbox.

A. I think you missed the joke.

B. You're slamming the Charger...then talking up the Camaro? LOL...sure...ok.

TonK

Least Valuable Player

Yeah, I'm going with the Hellcat. My buddy has the Charger version and it came with different keys for the different HP levels.

It's ridiculous. Man, those things are crazy.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

No I got the joke, just thought I'd keep talking cars.

I'm hardly talking up the Camaro, I think the looks are hideous, the platform is better, the Z28 is a much more capable car than the Hellcats, so I feel like the Yenko will be too. Sure the platform is pretty old too, but at least it started with the more performance oriented Holdens. The Charger/Challenger platform is ancient and started with the 300/Magnum, not exactly my idea of sporty.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I'm driving a challenger rt shaker right now. Love the car. B5 blue with that shaker package looks phenomenal. But when the time comes to upgrade (probably 2017) I'm going for the new camaro. If you've been following he news on it, the new platform sounds amazing. bremBo's and transmission/oil coolers standard, faster steering ratio than the outgoing model, lighter weight, smaller all around. supposedlY the new ss handles better than the outgoing ss with the 1le hand,ing package, and that car was no slouch.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'm driving a challenger rt shaker right now. Love the car. B5 blue with that shaker package looks phenomenal. But when the time comes to upgrade (probably 2017) I'm going for the new camaro. If you've been following he news on it, the new platform sounds amazing. bremBo's and transmission/oil coolers standard, faster steering ratio than the outgoing model, lighter weight, smaller all around. supposedlY the new ss handles better than the outgoing ss with the 1le hand,ing package, and that car was no slouch.

As track able as the Z28?

I figured you'd have a Hellcat by now Matt.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
id avoid the hellcat right now. The drive shaft isn't strong enough to take even the stock power, and they're snapping off like twigs with any real abuse.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I love the occasional "rare" car that I see on the road. Yesterday, I came across a white 3000GT VR4 convertible. The thing was in a state of stock perfection...it's nice to see a car that's treated properly.

I'll admit that I'm not a big mitsu guy...but it is rare that I come across a performance car that I've never seen, and didn't know existed. This is definitely one that I didn't know existed.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
^Know what you mean, Coming back from London the other day and got stuck in traffic when this pulled up at the side of me.

Driver said he'd just collected it from Southampton docks. Paid close to £35k for it.

Someone said its a fastback? no idea what year

IMG_0016.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
id avoid the hellcat right now. The drive shaft isn't strong enough to take even the stock power, and they're snapping off like twigs with any real abuse.

The car salesman that sold me my Veloster Turbo has a Challenger Hellcat. Thing was a pain in the ass to order. He was waiting for over 7 months before he got his. Dodge, in general, has gone to shit after Fiat bought them. As Tonk was saying, it too, comes with two keys. One keeps it ~500 HP and the other is the 707 HP key.

As you mentioned, there have been problems with them. People have been wrecking them almost immediately (not used to the power) among other things.

Jon

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I love the occasional "rare" car that I see on the road. Yesterday, I came across a white 3000GT VR4 convertible. The thing was in a state of stock perfection...it's nice to see a car that's treated properly.

I'll admit that I'm not a big mitsu guy...but it is rare that I come across a performance car that I've never seen, and didn't know existed. This is definitely one that I didn't know existed.

There's a mitsu group that meets in STL. There's a flock of mint 3000gt's that just look fantastic. I see them occasionally at cars and coffee events.

11174475_801376256604902_6626700593096027684_o.jpg

lithy

20 Year Member
Woof.

The late C3s are probably up there in terms of the least desirable Corvettes. It is amazing how they went from the 68-72 models to the disasters of the late 70s/early 80s. Coupled with the significantly weakened powerplants, they were really dogs in all senses of the word.

That one has some significant mods that I can't really judge on value, but I feel almost positive you could find a decently clean example of a 81 Corvette for 10-15k in the states.

I found this one immediately on the local craigslist, similar mileage.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5049858080.html

There are a couple with automatic trans for around 8k USD.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Just out of interest.

Cease your interest immediately, good sir.

They had 190hp at the best of times and they literally take 9 seconds to do 0-60.

And this is coming from a guy who is a fan of these old c3s and their coke bottle design.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
This is some pretty devastating information.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is some pretty devastating information.

They are bad cars...in almost every way. Clunky, under-powered...and that hood, my god, the thing goes on for miles when you're actually driving the thing.

That is one generation of Corvette I'd never even think of owning...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Most people aren't buying those cars for performance. It's to look smooth in car with smooth curves....or something.
Most of those old cars are slugs. 3 speed tranny's with top speeds around 80. If you go that fast, prepare to lose some hoses.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Most people aren't buying those cars for performance. It's to look smooth in car with smooth curves....or something.
Most of those old cars are slugs. 3 speed tranny's with top speeds around 80. If you go that fast, prepare to lose some hoses.

Yeah...but that gen corvette is just bad all around (unless you gut it)...it doesn't even cruise well. My friend's dad had one and would let us take it out (back int he 90's)...not much danger of use breaking the speed limit in that thing (LOL). It was a clunky mess to drive...worse, actually, than my parent's 1984 F41 Camaro they had at the time. Truth be told, the Camaro was actually pretty fun to drive...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
As far as looks go, only the earlier generations of Corvettes- (1952-1962), especially from 1958 onwards, and (1963-1967) are worth owning, IMO. The Corvettes from 1968 onwards don't have the classic looks of the earlier cars.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
As far as looks go, only the earlier generations of Corvettes- (1952-1962), especially from 1958 onwards, and (1963-1967) are worth owning, IMO. The Corvettes from 1968 onwards don't have the classic looks of the earlier cars.

I don't completely agree with that...Of the C3 range (1968-1982), I'd gladly take a '68-72 model (I'd event take a '73 model). 1974-1982? yeah...not so much. C4-7? My lest favorite of the bunch is definitely C5...but I'd take many of them over the years. In my opinion, through C5...all Corvetes ride like a wagon. I've never been in a C6/7 though...

I really think C4 vettes are aging well...at least they are to me. Maybe its the 80's in me...but I like many of them. Only a few performers in the bunch...but I'd own one for sure.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Possible reposts but relevant

And here's a video of a c3 that kicks a LOT of ass, but it costs a fuckload:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The Corvette wasn't the only car the 70's absolutely butt-fucked..

Yeah...Mustang "II"...
1974Mustang-II-Mach1.jpg

...and my first car...and biggest butt fuck of them all (in my opinion)...the late 70's Dodge Charger:
1977DodgeChargerSE_01_1200-700x435.jpg

Fucking big block 6.6L/400ci engine that got less than 10mpg and made less than 200 fucking horsepower...

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
nah fuck all that "americana" muscle car noise

just made the first and last payment on my '97 maxima :cool:

I can smell the envy

lithy

20 Year Member
I saw an Oldsmobile Alero "Type R" today.

Had to share, sorry no pics.