Car Enthusiast Thread

aria

Former Moderator
Since I'm the resident "old man" of driving tastes, I wanted to comment about my recent time behind the wheel of a 2009 BMW 750Li --I had the opportunity to spend about 300 miles driving it, so I can compare it to my time behind previous model years as well as several other BMW models. I've driven several 7-series, from the original 2002 Bangle Butt (and impossibly dumb iDrive) through a few later models.

First of all, I like the new styling. The nose looks like its from the 6, and part of the reason for the change were new EU rules that forced a pointy-er nose to reduce the impact on any pedestrian hits.

The car hauls ass even more than before. I drove one of the most notorious uphill stretches of interstate in America (the Grapevine between the CA Central Valley and LA) and it tore up the steep grade without missing a beat. It felt like much more of a driver car than what I refer to as "yacht"-driving which I've experienced with my old 1989 Cadillac Coup d'Ville or a current Rolls Royce Phantom. I drove it in standard, sport and comfort mode and there wasn't too much difference in handling.

The car has two cameras on either side of the nose, just in front of the tires, so --if you're coming out of a tight driveway (like an alley)-- you can see oncoming traffic without having to go out too far into the street. Not bad.

They moved the gear stick from the old-man position on the wheel to the center console, which alleviates an annoying problem with the previous models--everytime you'd be in a tight situation, i.e. a quick 3-point-turnaround, and reach to for reverse or drive, you'd occasionally accidentally grab the windshield wipers to a dramatic, awkward effect.

iDrive is actually pretty useful now --they finally came up with an intuitive interface and the much nicer screen helps push things along. This is what the first generation should've been. Everything is primarily based off of left-right toggling and they got rid of the more annoying aspects of the feedback function that would slow down the turns. After the previous iterations, this one really has to be tried to be believed.

I mentioned it earlier, but the screen is very nice --it also handles all the cameras --rear and the cool split-view for the two nose cameras. The object sensor is far, far less annoying than earlier models, whose beeping would drive me nuts ("okay, I see the obvious poll in front of me, please shut up!").

Everything computer-related syncs a lot easier --pairing a bluetooth device was simple, setting up various pre-sets was effortless compared to my own byzantine '08 Z4.

The seat AC wasn't bad --while I was expecting colder, the seat did keep from getting hot (and that's something I'm particularly sensitive to).

Overall, the whole thing is much better than before --I was genuinely impressed. This is what classy driving is all about.

Ah, perchance to dream...

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Seems like Bobak should think about writing car reviews professionally. :cool:

Hello Chrysler, ciao Lancia?
By LUCA CIFERRI, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

The Chrysler brand may get a larger role in Europe.

Starting as early as 2011, Fiat S.p.A. may extend the Chrysler brand name to models currently sold as Lancias in Europe.

Such a move would be a blow to the 103-year-old Fiat-owned automaker that many speculated would play a greater role in Europe following its parent's decision earlier this year to take control of Chrysler.

Fiat has a 20 percent stake in the U.S. automaker.

“There is no doubt that, outside a limited number of markets in Europe, Chrysler is going to be the global brand,” Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne told Automotive News Europe late last month.

He said that using the Chrysler brand name makes sense because it is more internationally recognized than Lancia, but he stopped short of saying Lancia would disappear.

“We need to be very careful that we don't destroy Lancia's roots, to find a way to preserve the identity of Lancia through an agreement that commonizes as much of the portfolio as possible (with Chrysler),” Marchionne said.

Options for Lancia

One possibility is that the Lancia brand continues to be used in a limited number of European markets such as Belgium, France and especially at home in Italy. In 2008, Lancia had global sales of 103,000 cars of which 93,000 were sold in Italy. Last year in Europe, 29,000 Chrysler brand cars were sold.

A second possibility would be for Lancia to become an upscale Chrysler subbrand in Europe. Fiat does something similar with Abarth, a sporty subbrand used on Fiat models such as the 500 minicar. Jaguar did this in the past with the more luxurious Daimler range. A third example comes from Ford of Europe, which uses the Ghia badge on more upscale versions of its models.

But some Fiat insiders fear that turning Lancia into a subbrand would hurt sales in Italy, where they believe customers would reject a Chrysler wearing a Lancia badge.

Fiat is expected to decide Lancia's fate by the end of 2010.

Crucial 2010 models

By next year Chrysler will have launched crucial models such as a new generation of its 300C large sedan, plus heavily revised versions of its Sebring mid-sized sedan and Voyager large minivan (sold as the Town & Country in the United States).

Following the arrival of those new Chryslers, Marchionne says Fiat will have a better idea just how much Chrysler and Lancia can do together.

“We need to see product, we need to see positioning and based on that we can make a decision,” he said.

While Marchionne is keeping an open mind about how to allow both brands to coexist successfully, he reiterated that brand rationalization remains a key part of the Fiat-Chrysler's future because it takes a huge amount of money to maintain a brand.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
The 6.4 hemi is more or less confirmed to be in the 2011 srt8 dodges. Some recent dodge press conference showed the 6.1l hemi being phased out soon, and the 6.4 hemi going into production for 2011 my, but didn't mention what vehicles it was going in or when exactly the 6.1 would stop going in vehicles. Just today, some guy who is in the know and has been right on some other mopar dealings confirmed the 6.4 is going into rotation on the srt8s next year.

Might have to trade up :)

As an aside, my srt8 is a really nice car. I'm having way more fun with it than I did with the z. Handling isn't that bad once you get used to the car. The car grips on turns quite nicely, although even the srt8 is a bit soft and there is tons of body roll. And of course there is tons of torque.

If I had to do it over again I would have bought a base rt, which are lighter (chally rts with absolutely no options are weighing in close to 3950 while srt8s are like 4200) and not really lacking in power (390 torque in the rt vs 420 in the srt8). I would have done a couple suspension mods and a 3.73 getrag lsd in the back, then a cai/tune. Would have been a faster car for like 10k less, but whatever. The srt8 is still fucking fast and the brakes, suspension and power are nice out of the gate.

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
4200lbs!?

... and I sometimes feel my 2700lbs RX-7 is heavy...

aria

Former Moderator
Yep, the new Challenger really is a muscle car. ;)

So they've opted for the "World's Strongest Man" approach to muscle --i.e. fat but making up for it in strength and dying of a heartattack earlier than most cars. The question now is whether the car can pull a semi using only its grill.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Can't wait for the upgrade

police-cars.jpg

Ugh....there goes our tax dollars again. The old new chargers with pimped out silver paintjobs with "POLICE" printed on the side with a brighter shade of silver just won't be cool enough anymore. :envy:

aria

Former Moderator
I must say I'm happy with the winter tires I bought for my Z4. I've had no problems on the road as we were having a winter storm or afterward. Just needed to use some winter driving skills, i.e. cautiousness, and no issues. I didn't need to throw any weight in the trunk; as one writer put it, the car was already balanced when it left the factory.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but the only problem with this car is that I have to stay on fairly plowed roads otherwise my car becomes the plow --LOL.

Can't say the same for the mid-90s camero I saw stuck in a pile of snow on the offramp; it wasn't even that much snow, he must've taken the curve too fast and then "docked" on the relatively low snowbank. As I waited at the light, me and other drivers were watching him spin his tires helplessly --they were probably worn regular tires anyway.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That's just awesomely bad.

You should see some of the morons around here that hang tiger tails out of their modern GTO's....It looks lame enough on the older models, it's horrible on a new model.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
At least the original Saab is still in business (i.e. the actual "jets" part of their "born from jets" slogan). They'd split in 1990.

I can't believe the manufacturer of my car is going away as is my major at UCF this year.

I'm just lucky I found such an amazing girl this year, the only great thing that has happened to me in 2009.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Reminds me of when I used to go with my dad to get a new oil filter for his FD. Those were the days. :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Picking up my new ride in the next couple of days.
Pics to follow....

it's something special.

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'd have to go with a Lotus Elise. Most power for the money and it looks great.

lotus_elise.jpg

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
Personally, while the lotus elise is a great track car and has the looks of an exotic (if attention grabbing is the thing you are going for), I don't think it is particularly attractive. Way too busy and looks to me like a whacked out insect.