Car Enthusiast Thread

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
you said i could tighten down the lifters to fix the noise. could you elaborate? :D

This is a general guidline for GM pushrod engines. Open the hood and lay out some heavy paper or something around one side of the engine. Remove the valve cover and find the size of the nut on the rocker arm. Start the engine and use a ratchet and socket to loosen one rocker nut very slowly until you hear the tappet clatter. Tighten the nut just until the tappet shuts up, then back off the nut 1/4 turn.

Do this for every rocker stud nut, repeat for other side.

I am a crotchedy bastard today. I think I forgot to take my Midol this morning.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
This is a general guidline for GM pushrod engines. Open the hood and lay out some heavy paper or something around one side of the engine. Remove the valve cover and find the size of the nut on the rocker arm. Start the engine and use a ratchet and socket to loosen one rocker nut very slowly until you hear the tappet clatter. Tighten the nut just until the tappet shuts up, then back off the nut 1/4 turn.

Do this for every rocker stud nut, repeat for other side.

I am a crotchedy bastard today. I think I forgot to take my Midol this morning.

doesnt like, oil get everywhere if you run it with the valve covers off?:emb:

if my engine wasnt under my dash id be all about this. but since its so far back i gotta make a day out of it.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
not sonic said:

if my engine wasnt under my dash id be all about this. but since its so far back i gotta make a day out of it.
which is why you have the paper and hopefully some degreaser on hand.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
which is why you have the paper and hopefully some degreaser on hand.

is it like intesne oil gushing from everywhere or just a little bit coming out?

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
not sonic said:

Yes, oil gets all over the place when you do this. GM invented the piddle valve and the hollow pushrod, consequently it shoots oil all over the place. You'll probably lose 1/2 a quart if you do it in a timely manner.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
is it like intesne oil gushing from everywhere or just a little bit coming out?
shouldn't be too awful. it's not like stabbing a zombie in the head with the showerhead in dead rising where blood just pours everywhere. but it's not like a little trickle either. i'd say it all depends on your compression ratio and how lucky you are.

or listen to magna as he has prolly worked on one of these engines where i have not.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
word on the street is magna likes boys and that i'll be coming into some money soon. LT1 for the jag? ditching the jag officially and putting that money into a new project? or putting the money into the mark? who knows? the only confirmed fact is magna likes the cock.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
get an fbody brah. forget the jag. :p

atleast post some pics of it. im curious about its condition.

man the fiero doesnt run, im hoping its not a big problem. id like to get it. though not running will help knock some dollas off the cost.

i dont think my pushrods are hollow.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
jagpics016.jpg

jagpics013.jpg

JagPics001.jpg

old pictures from before i got it took em at the old owner's house. happy now sonic.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
that is pretty neat.

but too many doors. ;)

i love early 70s styling

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
i dont think my pushrods are hollow.
I'm pretty sure they are. Every GM engine I've torn down has had hollow pushrods.

I just remembered I told you wrong. When you tighten the rocker nuts, do not loosen them one quarter turn after adjusting them. Instead, tighten them one quarter turn.

:emb:

PS. that Jag is still sexy.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
I'm pretty sure they are. Every GM engine I've torn down has had hollow pushrods.

I just remembered I told you wrong. When you tighten the rocker nuts, do not loosen them one quarter turn after adjusting them. Instead, tighten them one quarter turn.

:emb:

PS. that Jag is still sexy.
she's not bad lookin just in need of some lovin and lovin costs money.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
jagpics016.jpg

jagpics013.jpg

JagPics001.jpg

old pictures from before i got it took em at the old owner's house. happy now sonic.

Real slick, excecpt the CD player looks way out of place.

Keep working at it, it's too cool to give up on.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
Real slick, excecpt the CD player looks way out of place.

Keep working at it, it's too cool to give up on.
i took out the CD player and the sheepskin seat covers and the steering wheel covers. but i don't know, the transmission has started slipping. i'll accelerate and not upshift and then eventually the RPMs climb into the 5000 range and it'll shift. so i've gotta floor it everywhere to drive it. i really either want it gone or want like 20 grand to just restore it from the ground up.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i took out the CD player and the sheepskin seat covers and the steering wheel covers. but i don't know, the transmission has started slipping. i'll accelerate and not upshift and then eventually the RPMs climb into the 5000 range and it'll shift. so i've gotta floor it everywhere to drive it. i really either want it gone or want like 20 grand to just restore it from the ground up.

1. check your trans fluid level.

2. check your modulator valve vacumm tubing for cracks/leaks.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
1. check your trans fluid level.

2. check your modulator valve vacumm tubing for cracks/leaks.
3. i don't care enough to do anything with it

4. i talked to a couple salvage yard people here in town

5. i can prolly get some chump change for it

6. prolly is the tubing as i'm sure it's never been replaced in 30 years

7.why am i typing like this?

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i dont think the noise im hearing is a lifter. i think its too loud and it sounds like its more in the front of the engine.

someone had a similar noise and it turned out to be the timing chain.

hm.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
i dont think the noise im hearing is a lifter. i think its too loud and it sounds like its more in the front of the engine.

someone had a similar noise and it turned out to be the timing chain.

hm.

with your miles, it could very well be the timing chain. If that was the case, you would have a way bigger problem on your hands...

Not hard to put in a new chain, if you have the tools to work on the engine.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Haha, I just recieved an SMS from a friend, he took a girl out and all of a sudden his clutch started doing a clicking noise every time he pressed it. After a couple of presses, it got stuck all the way down.

Hahaha, now he has to leave the car at the door of the bar he took this girl to, and they'll have to continue the night on taxis, hehehe.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Haha, I just recieved an SMS from a friend, he took a girl out and all of a sudden his clutch started doing a clicking noise every time he pressed it. After a couple of presses, it got stuck all the way down.

Hahaha, now he has to leave the car at the door of the bar he took this girl to, and they'll have to continue the night on taxis, hehehe.

misfortune is plenty funny...

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Heh, some retard kid in his dad's CR-V wanted to race me last night when coming back from the club.

How stupid is that?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Heh, some retard kid in his dad's CR-V wanted to race me last night when coming back from the club.

How stupid is that?

I'll race you in my Ferrari. :tickled: