Car Enthusiast Thread

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
Never was a fan of the Corvettes styling, especially the late 80's and 90's style of Corvettes. I had a lot respect for the cars and their perfomance though but I wouldn't be caught dead in them, mainly because of the image that surrounds them (ok, i'm a little bit shallow). But after seeing the new C6 Corvette, I had a different opinion about the car and now I wouldn't mind riding in them, especially the luscious Z06. 500 hp from a sweet sounding V8 makes me a bit tight in the pants.

And sorry if I came off as confrantational, Kim _Kaphwan. I just get a little peeved when people mention that rotory's are fragile, since I'm a huge fan of the concept and engine itself. Not to mention its pretty cool to have your car powered by a spinning triangle.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I have a question for you guys, any idea how much it would cost get the seat rails moved back? I am looking to buy a new car, brand new, and I think I'm finally just gonna bite the bullet and stop getting a car that "fits me" and make the car I want "fit to me." I'm 6'10" and tired of getting in and out of cars at dealers saying to find out they are undrivable for me because I can fit my legs in or can't see out of the car cause my head has to be titled to fit under the roof.

So basically, how much would it cost to get a custom fit?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Big Shady said:
I have a question for you guys, any idea how much it would cost get the seat rails moved back? I am looking to buy a new car, brand new, and I think I'm finally just gonna bite the bullet and stop getting a car that "fits me" and make the car I want "fit to me." I'm 6'10" and tired of getting in and out of cars at dealers saying to find out they are undrivable for me because I can fit my legs in or can't see out of the car cause my head has to be titled to fit under the roof.

So basically, how much would it cost to get a custom fit?
hmmm. that's a good question. all they'd have to do woult be to unbold it and move the rails back then slide the seat back onto the rails. but how much it'd cost for something like that, i have no clue. i could ask my freakishly tall friend ben, but he knows absolutely nothing about cars though he is about 6'10'' and he drives an 89 civic so i'm sure something had to be done for him seat wise. you could ask the dealership that you're at though. just come in and be stubborn as fuck saying you want "that car" and that you want them to make it work for you, tell them you could pay them in cash in full for the car that same day. when a dealer knows you have money they'll bend over backwards for it. so i'm sure there's some cajoling you can do, i dunno.

Robert

20 Year Member
Instead of modifying the rails, I'd rather modify the seat itself (like modifying the seat fixation in order to move it back a little) since I don't think you can easily change the rail position in the body shell.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Robert said:
Instead of modifying the rails, I'd rather modify the seat itself (like modifying the seat fixation in order to move it back a little) since I don't think you can easily change the rail position in the body shell.
you could change it though that's the thing. you'd just have to pull up the flooring and find where it connects to the frame and cut the metal then reweld it and i believe it's also bolted to the frame as well, so rebolt it too. and then put back down the flooring. and yeah it'd be tedious but it'd be a cool project.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Psyched for WRC this weekend? Next round is at New Zealand.

Here are the current manufacturers standings:
Peugeot
31 Pts

Ford
23 Pts

Mitsubishi
23 Pts

Subaru
20 Pts

Citroën
16 Pts

Skoda
4 Pts

Robert

20 Year Member
I was a little scared about this season for Peugeot since it could take two paths:
-Peugeot wants to leave the WRC scene proudly and shows they were right to choose the 307 CC as a basis.
-Peugeot's team is searching for new job and the development stop for the 307-> Shitty season.

Hopefully, it seems that the first path was taken.

The good surprise comes from Mitsubishi, glad to see them back.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I believe that Citroën is better than their manufacturer points indicate. I also look forward to seeing the Citroën C4 WRC when it comes out near the end of the year. I really hope Citroën and Peugeot stay in WRC.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
I believe that Citroën is better than their manufacturer points indicate. I also look forward to seeing the Citroën C4 WRC when it comes out near the end of the year. I really hope Citroën and Peugeot stay in WRC.
they prolly will. from what i've read they have money troubles and need to save money any way they can. and let's face it, it costs a lot to run rally's

Robert

20 Year Member
Sadly guys we won't see the C4 WRC after my idea. Plus it would be a huge mistake for Citroen since the C4 WRC is not fully developped and I don't see the point in changing the finely tuned Xsara for a still under developped car at the end of the season, where all the points worth gold.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Robert said:
Sadly guys we won't see the C4 WRC after my idea. Plus it would be a huge mistake for Citroen since the C4 WRC is not fully developped and I don't see the point in changing the finely tuned Xsara for a still under developped car at the end of the season, where all the points worth gold.
That is really sad because the C4 seems to be such a cool car to use for WRC. If Citroën came back to the U.S. I'd definitely want to buy one of those 180 bhp Citroën C4s. :D

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Cadillac may share Sigma architecture; Buick, Pontiac could get rear-drive models

AutoWeek said:
General Motors may derive rear-drive Buicks and Pontiacs from an exclusive Cadillac vehicle architecture. But don't expect any Chevrolets based on Cadillac underpinnings.

A less costly version of Cadillac's Sigma vehicle architecture is a candidate for several rwd cars now that GM has killed plans for its rwd Zeta architecture in North America.

"A natural place to land would be Sigma," Jim Taylor, Cadillac general marketing manager, said last month at the New York auto show.

Taylor said another option is re-engineering Holden's VT architecture, which is the basis for the Holden Monaro and Commodore and Pontiac GTO.

Financial difficulties

GM's financial difficulties were blamed for the Zeta decision announced last month. The architecture was being developed for a variety of rwd Buick, Pontiac and Chevrolet cars that would begin to debut in 2007. All-wheel-drive versions also were planned.

The GM product plan would have emulated the Chrysler group's strategy by replacing its front-drive, mid-sized high-volume car lineup of rwd models.

"I don't think I would conclude that plans for rear-wheel vehicles at GM are cancelled forever," GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said last month at the New York auto show. "I see it more as a delay. We will study other ways to get at rear-wheel-drive passenger cars."

Still in the product plan

Taylor said some rwd cars originally based on the Zeta architecture remain in the product plan.

He said a possible architecture for some of these models is a less costly version of the Sigma vehicle architecture, referred to internally as "Sigma-lite."

The Sigma architecture is used exclusively for the rwd Cadillac CTS, STS and SRX.

Before taking his current position at Cadillac in August 2004, Taylor was vehicle line executive for Sigma. The first Cadillac to use the architecture was the 2003 CTS.

When the Sigma architecture was being developed, Taylor said his team investigated whether it was possible to use cheaper components to create vehicles for brands below Cadillac.

"It was a quick study on the component side to see whether we could create Sigma-lite, and it was feasible to do," he said.

Range of vehicles

GM later decided to do a range of rwd cars for Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac. But the Sigma-lite architecture proved too expensive for models that might be priced below $25,000.

The automaker decided to develop the less costly Zeta architecture, which could be used on a global basis and applied everywhere from Chevrolet to Cadillac. But on March 21, Lutz announced that GM had canceled plans for using Zeta in North America.

According to supplier sources, Zeta was going to be used for the next-generation Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix and GTO; and two Buick models - a coupe or convertible based on the Velite concept and a sedan. The Chevrolet Camaro name also was going to be resurrected for a four-passenger coupe.

Zeta was one of two vehicle architectures under consideration for an ultraluxury sedan planned by Cadillac that is expected to debut at the end of the decade.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102119

Hopefully GM introduces a lot more RWD cars in the future...

Robert

20 Year Member
Interesting read thanks.

Sharing chassis can be a great way to save money and to introduce new models more easily but it has to be made carefully if you don't bad side effects.

I always take the example of Seat and Audi. Many Potential buyers of Audi A3 went to Seat Leon since the cars had the same chassis and same engine but the seat was way cheaper. Of course the Audi kept the exclusivity but many car junky don't care about having alcantara seat or finely made dashboard and prefer going Seat to save big $ (or to spend it to tune the car).

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Robert said:
Interesting read thanks.

Sharing chassis can be a great way to save money and to introduce new models more easily but it has to be made carefully if you don't bad side effects.

I always take the example of Seat and Audi. Many Potential buyers of Audi A3 went to Seat Leon since the cars had the same chassis and same engine but the seat was way cheaper. Of course the Audi kept the exclusivity but many car junky don't care about having alcantara seat or finely made dashboard and prefer going Seat to save big $ (or to spend it to tune the car).
I really wish SEAT would come over to the U.S., but I think that would never happen since we already have VW and Audi selling cars and VW probably figures there "isn't a market" for people to like SEAT.

As a matter of fact, I wish SEAT would also go into WRC again. :D That would totally rock. :buttrock:

Robert

20 Year Member
In Europe Seat tends to be the affordable sport division of the VW group. I have recently spoken with a guy who bought an Ibiza Cupra (1.8L turbo 180 HP) and he was quite happy with the car. First of all Seat sport add many sport touches to the engines coming from VW engine line up. For example the engine on the Ibiza Cupra has a deeper sound than the same engine on VW or Audi cars.
Plus Seat has developped some specific braking system with Brembo and some of some them could directly go to the higher class sport cars since they're really efficient, On the Cupra, you can have as an option a four calipers 322 mm disc system in the front (best braking system in its class).
Their weakness is that since the chassis comes from VW it's not razor sharp as a Renault sport for example.
Pretty overall good sport cars.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
A NEW CRX? I HOPE SO!

2005crx.txt

This new CRX could have 155 hp and weigh under 2000 pounds! Now that's a cool sport compact!

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
I was driving a new Audi A3 Sportback Quattro 2.0T FSI.
The car and engine overall are quite silent.
The stock exhaust noise was too soft in my opinion.
Even at low RPMs the engine's torque was impressive.
Turbo lag was minimum, don't have much to compare it but I can say less than in a chipped Golf IV 1.8T GTI.
Throttle response was sharp.
The car had nice grip and no complaints about the handling with ESP off, easy to handle.
For a big guy, I'd say the front seats are too tight.

The acceleration was alright, though the sense of speed in the car felt "slow".
Suspension was excellent, smooth but sporty.

Though Audis are overpriced if you compare them to other VAG cars: VW, Seat or Skoda.

The A3 was nice but it's nothing that special.

I personally like Opels and BMWs better than VWs and Audis...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
wow. today was pretty damn badass. i and my friend decided to go hang out in downtown austin. and this is where we stumbled upon a mercedes benz SL55 AMG, and a renault clio V6. both of them within the same city block. now the benz might have been something i'd see here on american shores, but the clio? oh no, that was a sight. i already had goosebumps from the SL then to see that. well i almost creamed my pants. i had a little talk with the driver of the SL55 that went something like this "dude! your car is badass!" and he goes "oh yeah man. gotta love the kompressor" i just figured i'd come home and say something.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Sounds like an awesome test drive Tony_N! The Audi A3 Quattro has intrigued me, but I think the price will be out of my range when I'm buying a new car.

And Kim it sounds like you had quite a day. How in the world did you see a Renault Clio V6?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
Sounds like an awesome test drive Tony_N! The Audi A3 Quattro has intrigued me, but I think the price will be out of my range when I'm buying a new car.

And Kim it sounds like you had quite a day. How in the world did you see a Renault Clio V6?
if i had a camera i'd have taken pictures. i shit you not man. me and my friend saw the SL55 and were amazed. then we crossed the street and saw it sitting there ad the light as we walked by. i noticed the renault diamond right away. then i saw that it was the clio V-6 and then he and i just like stared at the car as he revved and drove off when the light turned green.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
If that new CRX does indeed come out you should not be surprised if you see me driving a 155 hp brand new CRX in a few years. ;)

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Kim _Kaphwan said:
wow. today was pretty damn badass. i and my friend decided to go hang out in downtown austin. and this is where we stumbled upon a mercedes benz SL55 AMG, and a renault clio V6. both of them within the same city block. now the benz might have been something i'd see here on american shores, but the clio? oh no, that was a sight. i already had goosebumps from the SL then to see that. well i almost creamed my pants. i had a little talk with the driver of the SL55 that went something like this "dude! your car is badass!" and he goes "oh yeah man. gotta love the kompressor" i just figured i'd come home and say something.

My neighbor two houses down from me has an SL55 AMG and a BMW M5. His wife has one of those little mercedes SUVs. Every now and then when I'm chillin in the garage smokin and see him pull up on his driveway w/ those lights.... I think oh man it must be nice to be such a pimp.... :drool: maybe one day. :D

Robert

20 Year Member
Kim, you saw a Clio V6 in the US!!!! :eek:

That must be a rare sight man!

now concerning the SL 55, it's an awesome overall car.
- A couple of laps on the Nurburgring OK (especially if you choose the Performance Package from AMG manufaktur)
-Cruising at 150 MPH OK
-Enjoying the sun while driving cool OK

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Robert said:
Kim, you saw a Clio V6 in the US!!!! :eek:

That must be a rare sight man!

now concerning the SL 55, it's an awesome overall car.
- A couple of laps on the Nurburgring OK (especially if you choose the Performance Package from AMG manufaktur)
-Cruising at 150 MPH OK
-Enjoying the sun while driving cool OK
i don't know man. i saw a ford GT a few weeks back and that's a pretty rare sight too. but not as cool to me as the clio.