So, my friend has been busy building that Audi R8 that I helped with Motec

From outside the car now looks like this:
13059479_996474977087710_716736110_n.jpg

And the Lamborghini engine has got two turbos to join the fun
20160707-IMG_4913.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Absolutely - dull is something you could never level at it.

It has given me the taste for cars that are a bit out of the norm though. With that in mind I've had a few insurance quotes on import cars, namely some tasty americana, and it's far cheaper than I was expecting it to be.

A couple of months back you all tried to put me off a C3 Corvette. As much as I wanted to follow your advice I just can't get them out of my head. What's the best year for the C3 and are there any years that are still good but people don't seem to know it (i.e. price is fair)?

Edit - just noticed that there are cars you can import for only 5% VAT to the UK if they are over 30 years old, no other charges other than shipping to pay. This could be a game changer for getting hold of an American car, going to do some reading.
Swedes are mad into the old American cars. Comparable prices, generally more tasteful modifications, and cheaper shipping. Or drive it, and ferry it back, and if it's on Swedish plates you could maybe keep it registered on those for a while. Plus most American cars in Sweden have usually had whatever rust proofing that needs doing. Summer is the time to check it out though. In the winter they all roll around in their V70 cross country wagons. And the vettes are locked up away from the snow.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Genuinely interesting to know, thanks for that, I'll look it up when the time comes. You can get a flight to copenhagen and be over the border to Sweden for less than the price of a train ticket into london from my house, no joke.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I finally found a cheap 1994 Miata. I believe if Luke Skywalker were to see it he would proclaim, "What a piece of junk!". I can admit that "she may not look like much", and hopefully soon I can also say that "she has it where it counts".

Picking it up Monday night and I'll snap some pics.
I really wish unmolested CRXes were easier to find like a Miata. Also in other news Honda is killing the CRZ. Kinda sad, but the CRZ weighing so much definitely held it back.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Holy crap that looks like a menace.

Guy who is building that has built example 1300hp 2.2litre engine and 860hp 2.2litre daily driver (that got 15000km in every year). He is a wizard. But that car is track car so even with the lamborghini V10 racing engine and the turbos I think they are just going to target to 1200-1500hp.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
miata. fuck the haters, they are fun to drive. The styling has held up well after the pop-up lights were ditched. You can make them look more aggressive with just a few body pieces
Perfect for autocross and cheap as hell. Parts are super cheap, and super easy to find.

Funny enough, I really like the pop-ups. Maybe because you don't see them all the time, plus both of mine work so there's that. The car looks pretty slick with them hidden.

Anyway, I already started removing interior bits to do a good cleaning so this is the only pic I have so far. As I'm going through the car it has plenty of quirks from 20+ years. Positives and negatives in aesthetics and mechanicals. So I'll pick through it slowly as I get time.

Also still looking to run a carfax on it if anyone has access. I paid for an AutoCheck report but would like to cross reference them if possible.

20160712_162514.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Genuinely interesting to know, thanks for that, I'll look it up when the time comes. You can get a flight to copenhagen and be over the border to Sweden for less than the price of a train ticket into london from my house, no joke.

Sure, according to what I've read there's more restored, running American cars from the 1950s in Sweden than in America. Now I know that predates your c3 dream, but it's a chance to find something much closer to home. Fly over, drive back could really happen.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I've been hearing rumors that Chevrolet will make a successor to the SS, but I also heard at the same time there weren't plans. If Chevrolet gets rid of the SS, would they being using the Impala again for Sprint Cup?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've been hearing rumors that Chevrolet will make a successor to the SS, but I also heard at the same time there weren't plans. If Chevrolet gets rid of the SS, would they being using the Impala again for Sprint Cup?

Are you specially noting the Camaro SS?
I don't really take note to what Chevy does and does not. I wouldn't call them an innovator in the auto market.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I've always thought the name of the four door sport sedan being Chevrolet SS would cause confusion. Just like how Bolt and Volt probably will too. The SS sedan was the one I was referring to. Chevrolet does use Camaros for the Xfinity Series (formerly Busch Series) and Ford uses the Mustang though.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Loved the stuff with the Bentley Stevenk. I'm looking for a US classic myself at the moment as a third car, most likely 60's Mustang for nice cruises out, already have a workhorse for the dog transport and a weekend fun car. My brother just added an interesting one to our garage today, a 1970 MKI Capri with a Mustang 302 V8 transplant. Needs a bit of work but sounds pretty meaty.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
2017 Model Year owns all other model years

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/09/toyota-supra-honda-civic-type-r-lexus-ux-concept-recap/

Spy shots of the Civic Type R and Toyota Supra. From the upcoming 707 hp Hellcat Challenger with AWD to hot hatches like the Focus RS and Golf R to the Bugatti Chiron that can reach 285 mph; we are living in a glorious age of motoring. I definitely must say that Model Year 2017 cars beat out any other car year period in terms of performance and reliability.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Do any of you guys over in the US own a 60's era Mustang? If you do (or even if you just know) can you recommend parts suppliers, mainly for cosmetic items like trims and interiors? Would be much appreciated.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Gotta love new cars and all the safety systems. I almost crashed with a deer but could luckily see it from the night vision assistant (thermal imaging) early enough and very good trailer stability program/control kept the trailer not spinning the car.

Does not look so dramatic, but it was hard braking from about 55 mph with brakeless trailer

Sonic R

Overtop Pathfinder
Do any of you guys over in the US own a 60's era Mustang? If you do (or even if you just know) can you recommend parts suppliers, mainly for cosmetic items like trims and interiors? Would be much appreciated.

I am extremely late to reply, but I figure I offer a suggestion..

National Parts Depot may be of service..
I get many of my restoration parts from them.. though it's convenient for me as I live down the road from one of their warehouses...

Here is their website:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It's almost time for a full detailing now that it's somewhat getting warmer out.
Seems like it's a good time to talk about detailing products. I have tested a bunch of products and these are my current favorites. I'm looking for recommendations for a rubber and plastic restorer for exterior trim pieces.

Interior
* Meguiar's G16216 Ultimate Interior Detailer - for satin finish with a little shine. Use this on the Mercedes.
* 303 (30308) Aerospace Protectant - Satin finish. Excellent protection. Use this on Porsche
* Invisible Glass Cleaner - I hate interior glass haze. This is cheap and effective.
* Sonax leather foam - for cleaning the leather. Most auto leather is sealed with plastic, so i don't bother with expensive leather conditioners.

Wheels
* Sonax Wheel Cleaner - This stuff is expensive, but it's amazing and safe on pricey rims. The only thing I use on the Porsche.
* Mothers Wheel Brush - Soft plastic head prevents damage when you are really scrubbing.
* Armorall Brake Dust Repellent - This is the only armorall product on the list. It does work, but it wont prevent all dust.
* Maxima SC1 Silicone Spray - Satin finish protection on the tires. I also use this on the wheel wells. I use this heavily on my motorcycles for most engine, suspension and wheel parts. It's like a protective layer where you can just hose off the dirt. Yes it's silicone. No Silicone does not damage rubber, don't get wrapped up in the forum scientists. I'm a real scientist.

Exterior
* Aquapel Glass Treatment - Say good bye to Rain-X. This is a serious exothermic glass treatment. Expensive. Use wax rather than rain-x if you can't afford aquapel.
* Grio's Garage Car Wash - I use this throughout the year to clean the car without removing my sealant and wax. It's a foam wash soap, that doesnt dissolve waxes. I wash my car with Dawn dish soap once/twice a year to remove the old wax only.
* ClayBar - any brand seems to work. Be careful using this on Black or Dark cars. It is abrasive.
* Menzerna Sealant - This is the first layer i add after deep cleaning paint with dawn soap and claybar. Sealant is like a wax that bonds to the clearcoat. It's slightly less shiny, but you only need to use this once or twice a year. I let it sit overnight to cure. Then I buff it out by hand or with random orbital.
* Grio's Garage Wax - This is the top layer of carnuba wax over the Sealant. This creates that bright shine that you only get with carnuba bases waxes. Wax over sealant, remember that. This is not as resilient as the sealant, but you can apply more throughout the year.
* Grio's Garage Spray Wax - I use this throughout the year after a quick wash. There's no need to a deep clean with good wax, as the dirt just falls off the car. Spray down the car, then spray on this wax. Buff with Microfiber towel.

What I desperately need is a black plastic restorer that works well. I've seen cheap stuff and stuff that's $100 a bottle. I really don'y know what works.

Last edited:

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Neosneth, sounds like I need to consult you on what to use on my rigs. You still going to the Cars and Coffee events in St. Louis?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Neosneth, sounds like I need to consult you on what to use on my rigs. You still going to the Cars and Coffee events in St. Louis?

Not as often as I would like. I've gone to the IL side recently for some different scenery.
I like the Westport gathering better than STLmotorcars and BallPark Village. I should really plan to hit the next westport event. I've yet to go this year.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm in an interesting situation, fellas.

I bought my Ram 1500 new in Feb of 2014 (2014 model). I got a screaming deal on it (sticker'd at $39K, got it for $30K). With the equity I had in my 2009 Honda Accord, I landed up walking away with a very affordable loan on such an expensive vehicle.

At this point, my 3/36 bumper-bumper just expired, I'm still running on the 5/60 mechanical warranty. The truck has 24K miles on it and has been problem free. I'm WAY far ahead of the thing concerning how much I owe -vs- what its worth.

The dealership I bought the thing from is offering some screaming deals on new '17 Ram 1500 trucks, including the next package up from mine (mine is a "black edition" Ram express, they have deal on the "Big Horn" edition).

Typically, I'd shed the thing and get a new one...but this time I'm not so sure. Should I just keep the thing, or should I take the trade in? One thing that does worry me is that Ram is rolling out a new 1500 here soon and I guarantee that those $10K off deals won't be around for many years after that happens, it never is. They replaced the Town and country with the new Pacifica and that's the case with it. that thing is way more $$ for the same features my T&C came with just 1 year ago.