Car Enthusiast Thread

miisalo

Astra Superstar
My long time project has been this. Imported it already in 2005.

ennen_edesta.jpg

It has gone through some changes,

kaaret.jpg

Got lots of racing parts, most original audisport stuff

tolppajapumppu.jpg

But it was forgotten until last year and now the project is activated again.

Engine is btw something else than original

13388882613_d85dcbed08_b.jpg

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I don't know too much about cars but is that a twin turbo V8 you're bolting on?

I guess all that torsional rigidity from the cage would make sense, then.
Whatever the fuck it is, following through on such a project makes you a hero in my books.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
febmarch2014.jpg

2 of my cars after a random neo pick up last month or so...
I should have been posting moar of my cars over time...
Maybe ill dig up pics..plug in old phones etc.. lmao

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
My long time project has been this. Imported it already in 2005.

It has gone through some changes

Got lots of racing parts, most original audisport stuff

But it was forgotten until last year and now the project is activated again.

Engine is btw something else than original

Finland.

80's era Audi (Quattro?).

Strong national rally heritage.

This one should turn out interesting...

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I don't know too much about cars but is that a twin turbo V8 you're bolting on?

Engine is audi's 2.7 biturbo from S4. Or at least the block is. In fact the block is also bit modified. With current proto headers, it should flow about 390 horsepower WITHOUT boost.

My friend who has build lot of audi engines (some of them 2.2L turbos with more than 1000 hp) and who is professional engine tuner is building the engine and another friend who is race engineer for one team is designing the suspension. I'm just taking part in those jobs that I can't fuck up and pay the bills :keke:

So hopefully in two years, that is 1000hp street "legal" car :mr_t:

But yeah, it's going to take that two years. It takes lot of money to build that and I don't want to invest all at once.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Something I ran across that spoon might like.

672976397235082668.jpg

It has a 327ci/325hp from a C2 Corvette in it.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yeah I have a book with a picture of thousands of cars in it, the Bizzarini is among the few I don't forget. =)
I guess there were a number of Italian coach builders using american muscle to compete with ferrari/lambo back in the day.

Monteverdi's another (swiss) one that made kickass cars with US engines, and I'd say they were all pretty cool but this one is my fav from the bunch:
monteverdi-375-s-08.jpg

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Since you mentioned the breadvans earlier, I imagine you caught some video of the Goodwood Festival of Speed that starred both the Lotus 11 breadvan and the Ferrari 250 GT breadvan and was billed as the 'battle of the breadvans'.

That is one event that would definitely be something to see.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Where did that race take place? Dreamland?

It's funny how the breadvan can look downright wretched from some angles while the side view looks oddly cool from a distance.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
I'm potentially looking into a new car. I might be getting a new job soon, so my 2 minute car drive to the train could be turning into a much longer trip down the turnpike. With the Camaro at 206k and counting, it would be in everyone's best interest for me to get something a bit newer.

I'm never going to get out of the low seating position sports car mindset, so I'm currently looking at these:

370Z
05-06 GTO
10+ Camaro
05+ Mustang
Solstice GXP or Saturn Sky Redline
BRZ / FR-S
Genesis
C5 or C6 Vette (unlikely)

Having driven the new Camaro I don't really like it. It's big, visibility is eh, and it feels like a car and not a sports car.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 370Z, but I'd like your guys's opinions and suggestions. As for price, the lower the better. Trying to stay in the 12-25k range.

I'm basically looking for something less than 10 years old that feels like a modern 4th Gen Camaro or Fiero to sit in and drive. I'm married to that feel.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
370Z will be closer to your upper price range but its not to be fucked with performance wise (my fav from your list)
The BRZ is a little anemic
The genesis is put together like shit
The C5 is a solid car but more than 10 years old I believe and anyone with a c6 for sale won't even look at you with less than 27k+ to offer.

Camaros/mustangs are always good bang for your buck, but every generation of stang has so many variations that I have no fucking clue where to begin. GT, GT500, GT350, GT 5.0, SVT, SVT-R, Cobra, Bullitt, 302 boss, etc etc etc...

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I'm potentially looking into a new car. I might be getting a new job soon, so my 2 minute car drive to the train could be turning into a much longer trip down the turnpike. With the Camaro at 206k and counting, it would be in everyone's best interest for me to get something a bit newer.

I'm never going to get out of the low seating position sports car mindset, so I'm currently looking at these:

370Z
05-06 GTO
10+ Camaro
05+ Mustang
Solstice GXP or Saturn Sky Redline
BRZ / FR-S
Genesis
C5 or C6 Vette (unlikely)

Having driven the new Camaro I don't really like it. It's big, visibility is eh, and it feels like a car and not a sports car.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 370Z, but I'd like your guys's opinions and suggestions. As for price, the lower the better. Trying to stay in the 12-25k range.

I'm basically looking for something less than 10 years old that feels like a modern 4th Gen Camaro or Fiero to sit in and drive. I'm married to that feel.

Remembering your taste in cars (Formula, etc), give the Solstice and Sky (Redline) a try. When I was still in NJ, I took that car for a test drive and loved every moment of it. It's also one of the easiest top/bonnet to work with. Around here in CT, we have a lot of Solstice GXPs that eat up the backroad curves and twisties.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Thanks for the input.

I went out and test drove a 370Z and Sky.

The Sky reminded me a lot of my Fiero, handled real well, and wasn't too slow for the base model. Interior was pretty bare bones and cheap though.

The 370Z was a manual, without the synchro rev. I think this car had like no options. It seemed nice, I just didn't get a good feel for it though, having to drive a manual in traffic. Gotta find an auto to test. (Only manual I've driven before is my 92 S10...much different clutch feel.)

A friend of mine has a BRZ, so I'm gonna try that soon, and I'm gonna give my other friend's Camaro a shot.

I'm probably going to stay away from Vettes, either too expensive or too old. Trying to stay under 10 years.

I really want to try a GTO, just didn't find one yesterday.

I'm really not looking much into the Genesis or Mustang, unless someone's got a compelling argument.

Any thoughts on the MR2 or Miata?

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I haven't driven a solstice or genesis coupe, but I have driven the rest of those cars and I have to say I like the mustang gt (with the coyote 5.0) and 370 the most out of that list. I love he 370s handling, and it's got a good ammount of power, but it's not particularly practical for a daily driver. The newer mustangs have more power and have more room for groceries and such, but the handling is a bit of an issue. They can take a corner pretty well, but it's the steering that gets me. The steering is kind of slack and sloppy. It makes it feel like you're driving a car bigger than you are. If you're used to driving big cars it's not an issue, but test drive the 370 and mustang back to back and you'll know what I'm talking about.

All that said, ford is doing some decent incentives on '14 mustangs right now to clear them out, and I'm looking at getting another mustang myself.

I should edit this to say my favorite car on that list is really the corvette, but in a later post you made it sound like it's not in your price range.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Thanks for the input.

I went out and test drove a 370Z and Sky.

The Sky reminded me a lot of my Fiero, handled real well, and wasn't too slow for the base model. Interior was pretty bare bones and cheap though.

The 370Z was a manual, without the synchro rev. I think this car had like no options. It seemed nice, I just didn't get a good feel for it though, having to drive a manual in traffic. Gotta find an auto to test. (Only manual I've driven before is my 92 S10...much different clutch feel.)

A friend of mine has a BRZ, so I'm gonna try that soon, and I'm gonna give my other friend's Camaro a shot.

I'm probably going to stay away from Vettes, either too expensive or too old. Trying to stay under 10 years.

I really want to try a GTO, just didn't find one yesterday.

I'm really not looking much into the Genesis or Mustang, unless someone's got a compelling argument.

Any thoughts on the MR2 or Miata?

I can't recall every reading a single bad thing about the Miata (MX5)...I'd love to have one myself. I've also heard the BRZ is driving bliss...very old school "analog" feeling.

I always wanted to try out a Solstice GXP but never had the chance...and you know my history with the GTO. I loved driving the thing but it was junk...

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
C6 might be an option after looking at prices again, at least earlier ones. Z06 is out of the question. C5 base or Z06 is doable, but it's over 10 years old at this point, and the interior is terrible. A big part of this is my newest car is a 95 and I'm trying to get a bit more modern on the inside.

I just don't know if I can bring myself to get a Mustang after being a diehard Camaro guy forever. My favorite Mustang is still the 03/04 Terminators, but that's out of my age range. I don't really like the newer ones, though the refresh looks a lot better. 2015 looks even better than that, but they're not out yet and probably out of my price range.

I need to test drive a GTO, smoke. I just need to get that out of my system. And, if it's the car I like the most, great because it's going to be one of the cheaper ones on the list. The interior is nice, at least that's what everyone was saying ten years ago. No gps is a bummer.

Force

20 Year Member
I can't recall every reading a single bad thing about the Miata (MX5)...I'd love to have one myself. I've also heard the BRZ is driving bliss...very old school "analog" feeling.

I always wanted to try out a Solstice GXP but never had the chance...and you know my history with the GTO. I loved driving the thing but it was junk...

I'll say some bad things about both: they're underpowered as hell. Sure they both corner amazingly, but in an age when newer v6 Camrys run a low 14 second quarter mile, your sports car should be capable of that. And they're both high 14s, low 15s cars.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll say some bad things about both: they're underpowered as hell. Sure they both corner amazingly, but in an age when newer v6 Camrys run a low 14 second quarter mile, your sports car should be capable of that. And they're both high 14s, low 15s cars.

You're confusing two worlds brotha...not everyone gives a flying fuck about redneck 1/4 mile bullshit. I for one don't give a rats ass how fast something drives in a straight fucking line. If I EVER wanted a drag car (something I am 100% not interested in)...a MX5 or BRZ wouldn't even make the list.

Both the MX5 and the BRZ are highly acclaimed driver's cars...they're a blast in the twisties and have plenty of power for when you want to romp through local winding backwoods roads. Sorry they don't meet your "straight line" requirements. I guess you'd be better off in a Camry...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yep, last time I was at VIR doing parade laps in my 140 hp Miata the pack of Mustang/Cobras in front of me got black flagged for going to slow in the corners.

But I'm sure they're plenty fast at the drag strip I give no flying fucks about.

Last edited:

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
going fast in a straight line gets old quick (i think I've only gotten to 150mph once in the last 4 years), trying to go around a bend as fast as you can on either a car or a bike is quite exciting.

SSS

neo retired

If all you care about is 1/4 mile times, sell the car and go buy any used liter bike. They'll run 10's all day. Camrys are gonna handle corners like... well they're not gonna handle corners. Running in a straight line is lower than Nascar on racing lameness

Force

20 Year Member
Lol. The rage.

Obviously the point here is to find a balance between handling and power that you can live with, especially in the 30k or less daily driver segment. There are some cars in that price range that can do both reasonably well. The aforementioned 370z is one.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
I put together a spreadsheet of everything.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oklzqII3txfhLCWRqbApAbVi1_f2Wt7as7PDLdmIhUM/edit?usp=sharing

Leaning towards the 370Z. Found a GTO to test drive on Friday, gonna see how that goes. The Solstice/Sky are a ton of fun. Wish the coupe was easier to find. MX-5 and MR2, and maybe even the BRZ and FR-S are a little on the slow as shit side by the numbers. Though when my current car has a 0-60 in 8.9 seconds and a 16.4 second 1/4 mi (17.9s when I tried for real), who am I to judge.

To anyone who wants to go down the "autos are for girls and faggots" route I'm intending to daily drive this, likely in traffic, and I broke my left ankle. I do know how to drive manual though.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Lol. The rage.

Obviously the point here is to find a balance between handling and power that you can live with, especially in the 30k or less daily driver segment. There are some cars in that price range that can do both reasonably well. The aforementioned 370z is one.

Mx5 still handles better. If you wanted more power get a lancer evo