Any good Shmups on the GBA and NGPC?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I would to take some great shooter action on the road with me. Any good titles for the GBA and NGPC?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Big Shady said:
I would to take some great shooter action on the road with me. Any good titles for the GBA and NGPC?

meh on NGPC....there's those jet levels in MS 1&2, Beast Busters is borderline.

GBA: Iridion 2 is really gewd i think. Phalanx, R-Tye 3 is so-so

I wish more SNES shmups had made it to GBA

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Iridion 2 for GBA is pretty good.

It looks good but its boring to play. I hope nanostray doesnt turn out the same.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Gradius Galaxies for GBA. It's got that real old-school feel of Gradius 1 and 3. I highly reccomend it.
Next up...Nanostray for the DS.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
Gradius Galaxies and Steel Empire are a must for the GBA, however avoid R-Type III like the plague. It's a terible port and is essentaily a broken game.

Kiken

Camel Slug
There's only one shmup for the NGPC: Magical Night Dreams Cotton.

Unfortunately, it's a shoddy port at best.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'd recommend Darius R on GBA, however it seems one either loves Darius games or hates them. They're aren't many alternatives on the GBA though...

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Thanks for the recommendation to steer clear or R-Type, was almost gonna buy that. I'll definitely look into the games you guys recommended. Thanks for the suggestions.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Big Shady said:
Thanks for the recommendation to steer clear or R-Type, was almost gonna buy that. I'll definitely look into the games you guys recommended. Thanks for the suggestions.

I second that. I own GBA R-type III merely as a curiosity, but it's an unplayable piece of crap.

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Darius on the GBA is a bad Turbo Graphics port I believe. I've only played it emulated, but it was pretty baren and boring, like most the old Darius'.

I'd like to second the hollering of Iridion 2. Incredble GBA game. Don't touch Iridion 1 with a ten foot pole though.

And I'm surprised no one mentioned Steel Empire. I picked up a cheap copy and loved it. Great graphics and nice gameplay. It's a Mega Drive port I believe.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
I've really wanted to try Iridion 2. I hope its decent for the sake of Shmups and esp Shmups on the GBA. Thats one area the GBA is seriously lacking.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can't say I agree with the suggestion of buying Darius R; that game was my first import and a poor introduction to the import scene for me -- an incredibly boring and bland shmup. Thankfully the game is cheap enough nowadays, you should be able to get it for $10-$15 shipped complete.

Most of the shmups on the GBA kickass; Gradius Galaxies, Steel Empire, Iridion II, etc...it's all good.