BlazingStar / Progear highscores

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
BBH said:
Still not 100% sure, I guess it lives up to its "secret" title ;) However, I did notice this a long time ago, and it may not be entirely accurate... but I swear the Secret Bonus was highest whenever I tried using the Peplos. Might have been doing something else that coincidentally affected the Secret Bonus, but... it did seem substantially higher when I was using it.

The Peplos is a strange ship anyway - the "no powerups" rule makes it hard to keep control with it. I've played with it for a couple of rounds but couldn't find anything worthwhile, must have missed something. The charge/sub-charge is nice, tho.

The reason I'm asking about the secret score is that I seem to get more secret points when scoring many close-range kills vs. methodical long-range attacks. Perhaps it's some kind of bonus for mastering difficult ships and situations, at least that would explain why you get more secret bonus when using Peplos.

(also, GEMANT's Gamest/Arcadia record list mentions that there is an "infinite score problem" that makes scores done with the Peplos disqualified. I wonder what the trick is?)

Not sure, but I guess it is based on a different scoring/powerup system the game seems to switch to when using Peplos. The ship itself is weak, but obviously you can rack up lots of points with it very quick. Perhaps Gemant could tell us more about it, that's something I always wanted to know.

Man, the Gamest record for BS is a bit demoralizing, eh...

Oh, and look what I've found: linky

:)

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I got a bit better thanks to the fact I managed to get the blue thingy bonus up to 50.000 each :drool: Too bad I was killed once in level2 :mad: . This time I've been using my MVS board.

blazing3.jpg

2803240 Windina Stage 4 MVS

EDIT: I'm editing this post since the score hadn't been updated yet, I promise I won't post anymore til I get a rather constant maximum score of at very least 3M.

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
blazing4.jpg

6250250 Windina Stage 4 MVS

Looks like this competition is not gathering a lot of interest....

Anyway today I managed to reach stage 4 without errors (all lifes, no missed blue bonus that I know, bonus was at around 40.000) and survived in it til the last boss, gathering a lot of 80.000+ bonuses, even the double bonus column at the end appeared. Shame the boss killed me, while playing for practicing with continues I managed to kill him without losing any life, and in fact complete the 5th stage without deaths, so in that case I could have really bumped points to at least 10M.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
MNK 24,956,060 Windia MVS

Been working on some new strategies for the stage 6 boss and could probably get a few more millions with some practice.

pics : top 5 / nice background :)

Amano Jacu said:
Anyway today I managed to reach stage 4 without errors (all lifes, no missed blue bonus that I know, bonus was at around 40.000) and survived in it til the last boss, gathering a lot of 80.000+ bonuses, even the double bonus column at the end appeared. Shame the boss killed me, while playing for practicing with continues I managed to kill him without losing any life, and in fact complete the 5th stage without deaths, so in that case I could have really bumped points to at least 10M.

Great progress Amano.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'm damn sure that I've seen scores around the 29 million mark on Blazing Star when they had it at the local arcade, there were these two kids that played it constantly. Shooters have really become my favourite genre again lately. I am starting to put in some time on the game myself, but I only picked it up last week. I use the Peplos mainly. I don't yet have a good enough score that I wish to post, but I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and will let you know how I get on.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
J0e Musashi said:
I'm damn sure that I've seen scores around the 29 million mark on Blazing Star when they had it at the local arcade, there were these two kids that played it constantly. Shooters have really become my favourite genre again lately. I am starting to put in some time on the game myself, but I only picked it up last week. I use the Peplos mainly. I don't yet have a good enough score that I wish to post, but I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and will let you know how I get on.

Have in mind that there might be some infinite score problem with Peplos according to the japanese highscorelists.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
What difficulty are we playing on? I hope you wussies have it set at level 8 for both Blazing Star and Progear. ;)

neosportskid

Banned
Beat blazing star on 2 credits level 4 with windina.
I dont believe it is possible to get a 1 credit finish without the windina!
I like the peplos a lot, dont forget it doesnt have to be pink.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
Stage 6 on level-8 :eek: :eek_2:

Funny, I've never even played the game on any level other than 8. :cool:

This holds true to actually every arcade board I've ever owned, with the exception of Pochi and Nyaa (which can still be playable on level 8, but not enjoyed), and League Bowling (which is just insane on level 8). Playing Ghosts 'N Goblins on the hardest level is pretty sadistic as well. I own the dedicated cab and I've still yet to see what lies ahead after the first half of the game. I may be stubborn, but I have good taste.....Well, you know, except Riding Hero. Oh yeah, and I like Legend of success Joe. A lot. I must have sustained massive brain damage as a child. Whether or not this statement holds true, you've never even played Progear if you havn't beaten it on Level 8. Start out by giving yourself unlimited continues, and progressively make it down to 1 credit. Who needs friends or a life? You can pull it off. ;)

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I play on default levels, as I play for score.

ResOGlas said:
Funny, I've never even played the game on any level other than 8. :cool:

This holds true to actually every arcade board I've ever owned, with the exception of Pochi and Nyaa (which can still be playable on level 8, but not enjoyed), and League Bowling (which is just insane on level 8). Playing Ghosts 'N Goblins on the hardest level is pretty sadistic as well. I own the dedicated cab and I've still yet to see what lies ahead after the first half of the game. I may be stubborn, but I have good taste.....Well, you know, except Riding Hero. Oh yeah, and I like Legend of success Joe. A lot. I must have sustained massive brain damage as a child. Whether or not this statement holds true, you've never even played Progear if you havn't beaten it on Level 8. Start out by giving yourself unlimited continues, and progressively make it down to 1 credit. Who needs friends or a life? You can pull it off. ;)

Gemant

Member,
Takumaji said:
Not sure, but I guess it is based on a different scoring/powerup system the game seems to switch to when using Peplos. The ship itself is weak, but obviously you can rack up lots of points with it very quick. Perhaps Gemant could tell us more about it, that's something I always wanted to know.

:)

Peplos is banned from gamest because is possibile infinite points during last boss (stage 7). During last boss, some mini bosses fly in the screen, and if you destry them, you obtain JEWEL BONUS. Usually, after some minuts of leeching, these mini boss move fastest, and is impossible survive with other ships. But the very high power shot of Peplos can destroy all these mini boss, and you can play infinite....

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Gozer said:
Gozer - 5,323,250 - 1-4 - Bolt/Rivet (JPN PCB)

Sorry to bump the thread, but looks like this score was listed in the Blazing Star and not Progear ranking...

I'm thinking of playing Blazing Star again to see if I can increase my record...

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
well, since the thread got bumped, I'll post my score:

16,150,020 - Level 6 - Windina - MVS Cart

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Hi,

Seems like nobody's on Progear no Arashi... Sure Blazing Star is a solid shooter, a gem to say the truth but Progear is awesomely splendid. I discovered this game only days ago and man, it fucking rocks! I've never seen so much patterns in a single game! I'm currently around 5 millions points so I will post a little later, just to be able to reach those great scores. ;)