Hyper Neo Geo 64 sound problems. Where's the MVS/JAMMA switch?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I just got my HNG64 with the 4 games from vektorlogic. It is supposed to be the rev.2, can somebody confirm it with this pic?

hn64.jpg

I have tried it in my supergun, and everything worked OK but I couldn't get any sound. I wanted to enter the Test Mode, however is any other way to enter it without using the test button? My supergun doesn't have a test button, I guess I'll be able to do a bridge in the JAMMA harness to trigger it if needed.
What are the 4 DIP switches in the bottom for?
Is there a volume control knob somewhere? I thought it was that blue thingy at the left of the JAMMA connector, but it didn't make any difference turning it.

Finally, some seconds AFTER switching off my supergun the lights in the house went out. I had to replace a blown fuse outside the flat in order to have light again. I am not sure it was caused by the supergun, I would be if it had happened right in the moment I switched it on. The problem now is that right now there's a lot of people in the house (and tomorrow my sister is getting married) and I don't dare try it again, if lights go out again they may kill me. Actually I'm not sure if we've got more replacement fuses. So I'm afraid I'll have to wait for things to calm down before trying again. In the manwhile any help will be appreciated.

Last but not least, since I don't have a cab and use it in the open with a supergun, I'm considering to remove all the metallic part of the bottom and the frontal with connector below the JAMMA harness to make it lighter. I'll try it after I manage to make it work.

EDIT: After doing some research in this board I found that the rev2 mobo is supposed to have a MVS/JAMMA switch, but I can't find it, only 4 DIP switches in the bottom. Can somedody tell me where is it? If I have a rev.1 mobo I'm going to be angry, but it doesn't look like the pics of the rev.1 mobo Chris posted. :help:

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
that is a rev. 2.

As far as the sound goes....no clue, as mine worked fine. Tried it in both my cabs to confirm. I don't have a supergun anymore to test on though. I used to use a rev. 1 board on my supergun, had to wire the sound in seperate. Sounds like a voltage issue though....especially since you had a black-out afterwards. But I'm merely a fungineer, not well versed in all of the techno mumbo jumbo. I can confirm its a rev. 2 though.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Thanks, anyway since it is a rev.2 it is supposed to have a MVS/JAMMA switch, but I can't locate it for the love of all that is holy! Any help? :help:

I'm reading all the threads about this in this forum, all say the switches are supposed to be in the bottom, but all I find there is 4 DIP switches in the bottom left corner that don't have any MVS/JAMMA label. I'll try to post a pic later. For example this thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48666

EDIT: Pic of the board in the bottom of my mobo

hn64bot.JPG

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Amano Jacu said:
Thanks, anyway since it is a rev.2 it is supposed to have a MVS/JAMMA switch, but I can't locate it for the love of all that is holy! Any help? :help:

I'm reading all the threads about this in this forum, all say the switches are supposed to be in the bottom, but all I find there is 4 DIP switches in the bottom left corner that don't have any MVS/JAMMA label. I'll try to post a pic later. For example this thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48666

EDIT: Pic of the board in the bottom of my mobo

hn64bot.JPG

It is on the bottom and it is a red dip switch, fairly easy to find. What's troubling me is the model # LVS IOJ and the copyright of 97. The rev 2 has a different one (I think) but definitely has a copyright date of 99. Maybe you got a rev2 with a rev 1 bottom PCB. (yeah, WTF?!)

On the rev 2 the volume nob is a flat black disc that should be right below the cart somewhat to the left above the jamma edge.

I'll confirm when I get home in a few hours.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Sorry man, that is definitely NOT a rev2. Or it's a weird hybrid. My bottom pcb is LVS-JAM C1999. It is setup a little different, as far as placement of chips goes. The red MVS/JAMMA switch is to the right of what would be your middle heatsink.
Also the volume "knob" IS a black disc located about 2 inches to the left of the jamma edge on a rev2. What's irking me is the # and shape of the 5 molex connectors underneath your JAMMA board. My rev2 has them as well, but a rev1 does not. See the pictures in chris1's thread stickied at the top of the hyper forum.

You may have the rarest HNG64 mobo in existence. Like a coin with two heads, you got a rev2 shell with rev1 components. Fucking crazy. :tickled:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, thanks for the info. Definately I'll have to ask Jeff what the hell is going on and if needed I'll ask for a replacement (maybe I can only send him the bottom board). On Monday I'll try it again and I'll check if I can make it work correctly and with sound.

SSS

neo retired
I'd send him the whole thing, your middle pcb with the jamma edge looks like a rev1 component as well. Good chance so is the cart slot side.

Mr-Megalo

Morden's Lackey
Amano - the MVS/JAMMA switch should be on the underside of the entire unit and is clear as day to find, cant post pics as i've now sold mine

if its not there then its a REV 1, also the Molex that is right on the JAMMA edge
hn64.jpg

my Rev 2 didnt have that I'm sure

doughboy

Lurker.
Amano, that front looks like rev 2, but the bottom doesn't.

Here's a link to some pics I took of my rev 2(also bought from Jeff, although a long time ago)..

Click

BTW, I didn't notice the volume control on mine for ages untill someone from here pointed it out.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Thanks for the pics, that's exactly what I wanted, some clear pics of a rev.2. It's obvious that mine is not like that at all, the only similarity is the 5 molex connectors in the front a rev.1 should not have, and this puzzles me a lot. Being a rev.1 should also be the reason I don't have sound.

I will send and e-mail later to Jeff with this pics. I am not going to continue trying to use this board because since it is actually a (somehow) rev1 I might damage it if I use it without the extra 5 volts, or could blow up again the electricity in my house.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I e-mailed Jeff explaining the trouble, and he has replied quickly telling me that there has been a problem with a box of mobos and that they have shipped at least 4 like mine. He will send me a rev.2 (I hope this time he makes sure it is actually a rev.2) free of charge and I can keep this other one "as a spare". It's quite nice of him although it is quite useless to me (at least I won't have to ship such a heavy thing back), so I'll try to sell or give away it. It's funny because one of the reasons I was hesitating to buy the HNG64 is that I have few room available, and now I'll have 2 of these bulky mobos :annoyed:

doughboy

Lurker.
He's letting you keep the current one?? That's very decent of him..

I wonder if it's a non fighting board. Does anyone have pics of the driving/shooting boards??

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, he is in the process of clearing all his stock of HNG64 so I guess he doesn't want that rev.1 which would be very difficult to sell anyway. In adition he might feel obligated to pay my shipping costs for sending it back, and it is pretty heavy.
As I said I'll have to try to sell or give it away for free, and if nobody wants it I might as well just dump it.

I doubt it is a non-fighting board, because I was trying Samurai 2 and the video and controls worked OK. I didn't (and I won't) try any of the other three games.
I also heard there's a HNG64 board revision out there that only plays the 2 Samurai games, but this is unconfirmed.

By the way, obviously, if anybody else is receiving a mobo from vektorlogic, be careful if it is one like this one and contact Jeff.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Amano Jacu said:
Well, he is in the process of clearing all his stock of HNG64 so I guess he doesn't one that rev.1 which would be very difficult to sell anyway. In adition he might feel obligated to pay my shipping costs for sending it back, and it is pretty heavy.
As I said I'll have to try to sell or give it away for free, and if nobody wants it I might as well just dump it.

I doubt it is a non-fighting board, because I was trying Samurai 2 and the video and controls worked OK. I didn't (and I won't) try any of the other three games.
I also heard there's a HNG64 board revision out there that only plays the 2 Samurai games, but this is unconfirmed.

I believe it may just be a different bios, not a board revision for the SS games.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
It looks like the Korean Samurai Shodown-only board to me. My Rev.2's deffinitely do not look like that. It could be a driving board too or maybe shooting?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
J0e Musashi said:
It looks like the Korean Samurai Shodown-only board to me. My Rev.2's deffinitely do not look like that. It could be a driving board too or maybe shooting?

As I said, I could make SS2 work for a while, but I'm not going to try the other 3 games. So I doubt it is a driving or shooting board. Actually I have a friend with a true rev.2 and a driving cart that doesn't boot in it, I guess I could try it in this board, it's just that after what happened I don't really feel like powering on that board again :(