Why does my monitor need to warm up before it works properly??

Rick

Crazed Addict,
I have a Wells Gardner 25k7401 in my 4slot. What happens is: 9 out of 10 times it will rapidly turn on and off for 5 minutes before it stops and works properly. It's like it's not getting enough juice or something. Sometimes, I'll be playing and it will start turning on and off and then it will stop, and then start again. Once it gets going though (5 minutes maybe) it won't do it again until after I've left the machine off for a while! Any suggestions?
Thanks!

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Electrolytic capacitors change value given time (age) and heat.
A cap kit would probably fix this.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
My monitor is only about 2 years old...Do I need a cap kit already???

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
It may be one particular electro cap that is faulty, I would not expect a full cap kit required on a recent model monitor.

Also a dry joint (bad solder connection) can cause this sort of problem, the joint expands with heat, so that after warm up the symptom clears.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
Are there any tests I might be able to perform with my multimeter to determine where the problem lies??

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I thought this was common in every monitor?
When I had problems with one of my monitors, the tech said not
to judge monitor image, until after 35mins of turning it on..

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The crt can take some time to warm up, especially if the emission is down. But not the monitor pcb.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ttooddddyy said:
The crt can take some time to warm up, especially if the emission is down. But not the monitor pcb.

Curious:
For general knowledge..

Will this((crt can take some time to warm up)) take longer in a cab left off for a longer amount of time..?

I figure the longer the cab is off the longer the wait..

Will a often used Cab's monitor come on faster?

I figure it does and I think I'm answering my own questions.. I'm just looking to hear the details on why..?
Does the charge drain..?

Why do some monitors seem to just click on after a black screen at full,but others need come/warm into view..?

What about a never used/brand new monitor do they need to charge/warm up..?(taking time)

..................................................................................................
My Candy Cabs monitor comes on real fast at full brightness...I'd say 1 second after I turn on the switch...no matter how long I don't use the cab..
It seems to start differently then the US cabs..It's more of a direct click on"bam it's on" then a warming into showing screen.

My Neo Gold takes about 2-3 seconds after a week of not being used and that monitor is brand spanking new.

The Big Red takes around 4-5 seconds after a few days of not being used.
If I flip it off change a cart and turn it back on the monitor comes right on..

The Tekken 3 seems to click right on like a flash to full screen color..no warming....and this is my least played cab.
The Bam cabs 13" Screen will be black for a second upon start-up..then it just clicks on to full shown screen..say 3-4 seconds.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
It’s nothing to do with charge Chris, the CRT "charges" immediately at switch on.
It is to do with the crt heaters (you see them glowing in the neck of the tube), they warm the cathodes which emit the r, g & b electron beams, if your crt has low emission (it deteriorates with age and use) the cathodes have to be hotter to result in the same emission, hence the slow warm up.
Hope that makes sense

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ttooddddyy said:
It’s nothing to do with charge Chris, the CRT "charges" immediately at switch on.
It is to do with the crt heaters (you see them glowing in the neck of the tube), they warm the cathodes which emit the r, g & b electron beams, if your crt has low emission (it deteriorates with age and use) the cathodes have to be hotter to result in the same emission, hence the slow warm up.
Hope that makes sense

Hope that makes sense
Yes, :) .....Thanks so much ttooddddyy..