R-Type final was a huge disappointment

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
R-Type final felt like an R-Type to me...and had tons of cool unlockable stuff. Nothing there to dissapoint an R-Type fan.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
A huge disappointment? No.
I spent more time with Gradius V, but they were both good games IMHO.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
R-Type final felt like an R-Type to me...and had tons of cool unlockable stuff. Nothing there to dissapoint an R-Type fan.

Ditto.

I thought the game was all around rock solid and still enjoy it after a year of play.

Best atmoshere in any shooter by far.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
You gotta be on crack. R-Type final is awesome. Same olskool hard as hell formula. Memorize or die.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
roke stAr said:
r-type final > you

This man knows the deal. Great atmosphere, great sound, great gameplay, solid challenge.

Not a top favorite for me, but a superb game.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
gmw said:
This man knows the deal. Great atmosphere, great sound, great gameplay, solid challenge.

Not a top favorite for me, but a superb game.

thank you for giving respect where respect is due

It's not craztastic like Cave, or even scoring and puzzle intensive, but it has a style all to it's own

fuck the bullshit, this is a game not to be missed

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
R-Type Final is friggin' great! The slowdown does hamper the game in some places, but the game is such a time sink and I've had so much fun doing it. 14 hours spent 52 ships unlocked.

NOTE: This new Shooters part of the forum was a great idea!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Actually this game wasn't that good. Delta was a much better game then Final. Final had the weakest shot and some of the slowest parts in a video game. Just flying around without shooting a thing. It just felt weak and even though you have a ton to unlock, the atmosphere, graphics, and gameplay wasn't even near Gradius V.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I didn't like R-Type Final either, but I've never been a fan of the series. I love Gradius 5 though.

NeoGeo Hunter

Fio's Quartermaster
Hmmm, let me think R-Type Final, with a beautiful 3D graphics and all and over 100 playable crafts, this game SUCKS big time extremely hard to beat especially the bosses. :crying: I love R-Type Delta, for PSone better.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I thought Gradius V was pretty disappointing, personally, while I absolutely love R-Type Final. To me, G V feels synthetic and lifeless, while RT F feels lush, organic, and very satisfying.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
galfordo said:
I thought Gradius V was pretty disappointing, personally, while I absolutely love R-Type Final. To me, G V feels synthetic and lifeless, while RT F feels lush, organic, and very satisfying.

Are you kidding me? R-Type final was pretty lifeless. Enemies were sparse, graphics were lackluster, and music was decent. It just wasn't fun. Gradius 5 had amazing music, vibrant colors, 2 player co-op action, stunning visuals, and tweaked, perfect gameplay. I sold R-Type Final because it wasn't even as good as Delta.

Delta > Final

BIG

sony fanboy
R-Type Final is one fine game,imo.

At $15,it's a friggin' steal.

BIG-

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
R-Type Final is one fine game,imo.

At $15,it's a friggin' steal.

BIG-

I don't know, it just didn't do it for me. The game just didn't seem polished. It was a decent shooter, I'll give it that much, but it was lacluster. The explosions were a bit weak, and I really was annoyed having to kill one enemy, then wait for around a good sometimes 5-10 seconds for the next one to come on screen. It was just too slow and seemed very underwhelming.

On the other hand, Gradius 5 just had everything in harmony. The music was spot on, the new gameplay addition of turning your options was superb, the exploasions and overall effects were beautiful, and the 2 player co-op put it over the top for me. Irem just lost thier touch with R-Type Final imo. It was an alright game, but even with the host of unlockable ships, the gameplay was dry enough that I didn't want to go back to get the other ships, and there lies the problem.

I might pick it up if I get it for $15 (or better yet free), but it just doesn't compare with Gradius 5.

BIG

sony fanboy
Jedah Doma said:
I don't know, it just didn't do it for me. The game just didn't seem polished. It was a decent shooter, I'll give it that much, but it was lacluster. The explosions were a bit weak, and I really was annoyed having to kill one enemy, then wait for around a good sometimes 5-10 seconds for the next one to come on screen. It was just too slow and seemed very underwhelming.

On the other hand, Gradius 5 just had everything in harmony. The music was spot on, the new gameplay addition of turning your options was superb, the exploasions and overall effects were beautiful, and the 2 player co-op put it over the top for me. Irem just lost thier touch with R-Type Final imo. It was an alright game, but even with the host of unlockable ships, the gameplay was dry enough that I didn't want to go back to get the other ships, and there lies the problem.

I might pick it up if I get it for $15 (or better yet free), but it just doesn't compare with Gradius 5.

Apples and oranges,imo.

It all comes down to a matter of preference,really.

BIG-

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
Apples and oranges,imo.

It all comes down to a matter of preference,really.

BIG-

I guess so. R-Type Final was just a bit too slow for me. I'm used to Donpachi, Ikaruga fast and frenzied gameplay. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Jedah Doma said:

Underwhelming? So I take it you have 1cc'd it with every ship class on hardest diff?

I mean, the R-Types never were manic shooters with huge waves of enemy ships and stuff like that, they always were pattern-based "thinking man's shmups" with puzzle-ish enemy setups.

It's kinda weird that ppl still keep on complaining about that, given that the basic R-Type formula has not changed since 1987.

Ah well, tastes are tastes... for me, R-Type Final is miles ahead of Gradius V. For itself, the new Gradius is a very good game, but except for some eye candy and the bombastic sound, it doesn't really offer anything more exciting in terms of new gameplay elements than Gradius Gaiden already did (custom powerup bar, etc.). Gaiden still is my fave of the series, btw. Don't get me wrong, I like V and all, but it could have been more.

About Final not being polished, guess that depends on what you call polish. All R-Types have a certain visual style that seems less generic to me than the Gradius/Darius style.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Takumaji said:
Underwhelming? So I take it you have 1cc'd it with every ship class on hardest diff?

I mean, the R-Types never were manic shooters with huge waves of enemy ships and stuff like that, they always were pattern-based "thinking man's shmups" with puzzle-ish enemy setups.

It's kinda weird that ppl still keep on complaining about that, given that the basic R-Type formula has not changed since 1987.

Ah well, tastes are tastes... for me, R-Type Final is miles ahead of Gradius V. For itself, the new Gradius is a very good game, but except for some eye candy and the bombastic sound, it doesn't really offer anything more exciting in terms of new gameplay elements than Gradius Gaiden already did (custom powerup bar, etc.). Gaiden still is my fave of the series, btw. Don't get me wrong, I like V and all, but it could have been more.

About Final not being polished, guess that depends on what you call polish. All R-Types have a certain visual style that seems less generic to me than the Gradius/Darius style.

Like I said, the unlockable 100 ships are a nice bonus, but they seem nothing more then that. I did unlock a majority of them (around 50-60), but they didn't redeem the game. The underwhelming feeling I'm speaing about is the fact that the enviroments, enemies, and even bosses don't have the same flare as others did. R-Type Delta was a better paced shooter with better music. If you compare the seemingly lagging first level of Final and the pumped up and enegtic first level of Delta, there's just no comparision.

You talked about how Gradius 5 was good, but it wasn't anything different. For me the 2 player co-op is what made the game even better. I love Gradius 3&4, but the aspect of having a buddy coming in to play is just where Gradius 5 does the job. If you even look at the graphic polish of the two games, Gradus 5 is sharper, more colorful, and cleaner looking then Final. Also the fact that you can change the revival mode to put you right back on the screen after a death is nice. Now while I realize that the die and then begin at a certain place in the level is an R-Type staple, Gradius 5 let you choose which mode you would rather play.

Also there were some slowdown issues through even mundane levels with few enemies on screen. I even remember playing the second level and right as those long legged looking aliens got on screen, it slowed down. Gradius 5 packs quite a bit on the screen with no (or very little) slowdown. You also have to look at the fact that we're comparing Treasure and irem, and in my book, Treasure trumps on Irem anyday of the week.

Final was good, but wasn't great. I still play Delta to this day, but Final was just a dissapointment when it wasn't as good or fun as the game before it. Like it was said, this may not be eveyone's type of game, but it also does have its' flaws.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
It just shows you are a fuckard.

You know shit about R-type.

Period.

oohh.... fanboy rage <3 luck & love <3

+ huge amount of ships

+ AI Battle

- too short

- slowdownnn....

- last boss

p.S what were the prequisites for unlocking "Cross The Rubicon" (which is needed to get to the forest level)

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Late said:
p.S what were the prequisites for unlocking "Cross The Rubicon" (which is needed to get to the forest level)

Prerequisites for unlocking RX-12 Cross the Rubicon:

- unlock ship #43 (RX-10 Albatross)

- get 60 mins. of flight/game time in a ship of your choice

- beat stage F-A

To unlock RX-10 Albatross, get 90 mins. of flight time in a ship of your choice.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Prerequisites for unlocking RX-12 Cross the Rubicon:

- unlock ship #43 (RX-10 Albatross)

- get 60 mins. of flight/game time in a ship of your choice

- beat stage F-A

To unlock RX-10 Albatross, get 90 mins. of flight time in a ship of your choice.

Thanks, I already have the albatross & have beaten F-A. forest level here I come

barf

Maxima's Barber
Jedah Doma said:
Like I said, the unlockable 100 ships are a nice bonus, but they seem nothing more then that. I did unlock a majority of them (around 50-60), but they didn't redeem the game. The underwhelming feeling I'm speaing about is the fact that the enviroments, enemies, and even bosses don't have the same flare as others did. R-Type Delta was a better paced shooter with better music. If you compare the seemingly lagging first level of Final and the pumped up and enegtic first level of Delta, there's just no comparision.

You talked about how Gradius 5 was good, but it wasn't anything different. For me the 2 player co-op is what made the game even better. I love Gradius 3&4, but the aspect of having a buddy coming in to play is just where Gradius 5 does the job. If you even look at the graphic polish of the two games, Gradus 5 is sharper, more colorful, and cleaner looking then Final. Also the fact that you can change the revival mode to put you right back on the screen after a death is nice. Now while I realize that the die and then begin at a certain place in the level is an R-Type staple, Gradius 5 let you choose which mode you would rather play.

Also there were some slowdown issues through even mundane levels with few enemies on screen. I even remember playing the second level and right as those long legged looking aliens got on screen, it slowed down. Gradius 5 packs quite a bit on the screen with no (or very little) slowdown. You also have to look at the fact that we're comparing Treasure and irem, and in my book, Treasure trumps on Irem anyday of the week.

Final was good, but wasn't great. I still play Delta to this day, but Final was just a dissapointment when it wasn't as good or fun as the game before it. Like it was said, this may not be eveyone's type of game, but it also does have its' flaws.

I loved Bido parasited ones :) It s a long time ago but still that was nice.

About slowdowns... i don t remember them... maybe there were some but they were useful then else i would have remembered that (like i remember the final Sylpheed PS2 boss... everything smooth... except him, kinda like they wanted to make an eye winkle to the segaCD version -he had big slowdowns too-)