NGCD power problem

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Hi, my NGCD top loader has a problem, when i turn it on, the power light flashes on and off like a bleeper, the power wont stay on........

It was doing it before, i punched it to work, now this technique wont work.

Ive held the button down, no joy, wiggled the power cord, no joy.............must be internal, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Baseley09 said:
Hi, my NGCD top loader has a problem, when i turn it on, the power light flashes on and off like a bleeper, the power wont stay on........

It was doing it before, i punched it to work, now this technique wont work.

Ive held the button down, no joy, wiggled the power cord, no joy.............must be internal, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I've never opened mine up, but I would open it up and check the connections. Often times, things like this usually are bad connections or a faulty button. At least with older systems.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Yeah ive opened her up a few times to have a snoop, cant see anything definative.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Had the same problem with my laptop. Could be dry joints which was what was up with mine. Check the soldering on the power unit.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
Maybe you beat the shit out of it a little too much?? :lol:

Seriously, what the hell were you thinking??

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
RiotoftheBlood said:
Maybe you beat the shit out of it a little too much?? :lol:

Seriously, what the hell were you thinking??

So you've never tried the old 'If it doesn't work, hit it' approach?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Superfamifreak said:
So you've never tried the old 'If it doesn't work, hit it' approach?

Blatantly, it's the classic technique to make stuff work.

Wives included.

NeoCD power cables are pathetically brittle. The connector that plugs into the system breaks internally, so that the wires don't make good contact all the time. It happens a LOT. I have about 20 dead power supplies.

You can test this by repositioning the wire. They CAN be fixed, but you have to knife open the connector and solder the wires to the metal pegs inside. It's a huge PITA, but if this is your problem the only solution is cut-n-solder or tape the wire somewhere so it doesn't move when it's in a working position.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
NEOGEOman said:
NeoCD power cables are pathetically brittle. The connector that plugs into the system breaks internally, so that the wires don't make good contact all the time. It happens a LOT. I have about 20 dead power supplies.

You can test this by repositioning the wire. They CAN be fixed, but you have to knife open the connector and solder the wires to the metal pegs inside. It's a huge PITA, but if this is your problem the only solution is cut-n-solder or tape the wire somewhere so it doesn't move when it's in a working position.

Cheers, sounds plausible, though its taken an awful long time to break heh.

Sounds maybe my best option is to get a new psu, or borrow one to see if this is the actual problem.

Bigbert

n00b
Cheers, sounds plausible, though its taken an awful long time to break heh.

Sounds maybe my best option is to get a new psu, or borrow one to see if this is the actual problem.

Is this a PSU problem? My Neogeo CD power LED light only blink for a while and won't stay on after power on.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Did you measure the voltage on the inside of the connector ?
Also check all of the inductors on the power board (they should have no or low resistance).

Most likely you have a short circuit on a cap that pulls down the power and the power supply will supply voltage - then it drops - then it will resupply voltage.. So first thing would be to measure the power supply by itself (voltages), then plugged into the neo geo cd.
After that is done you could measure the resistance from 10V to GROUND and 5V to GROUND and report back the values.