Why does every shooter fan swing on Armed Police Batrider's nuts?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I've put some time in on this game off and on for the last few months... what's the big fuckign deal?

The bullet patterns aren't that spectacular, the weapons system is bland and the graphics are so-so.

R-Type Final or Leo it ain't.

What gives?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
i played the rom, it was decent, but it hit me as being really dated.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
DashK said:
i played the rom, it was decent, but it hit me as being really dated.

It's fucking bland.

I don't get the whole Raizing/Treasure vert shooter thing.

RS is mediocre at best. Ikaruga is *good*, but not great.

The only innovative or interesting vert shooter I've played is Zero Gunner2. That game rocked.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I myself love Batrider, it's one of Raizings best works. The whole feel of the game is classic, lots of ships to choose from, some of the best music in a shooter ever and top notch nice animation. Not only that but it's medaling system is very cool too, to get a top score medals must be chained for levels, something that's no easy task taking into consideration all the bullets on screen. *Waits for Spike to come in and back me up*

Now I'm not knocking the newer shooters as I'll take what I can get but I don't like the 2D/3D ones as much(Brave Blade, Ikaruga, Border Down...) though I do however really dig the Psyvariar series.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
cuz Batrider's nuts taste gewd!

For me? I like the graphic style...as Chief said, the music. Medaling in it kicks ass. Its not graphically as impressive as games of that time. [ESPrade for example] but its still got a great style and more unlockables and secrets than any other arcade game in existence! [as far as I know]

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
RS is mediocre at best. Ikaruga is *good*, but not great.

The only innovative or interesting vert shooter I've played is Zero Gunner2. That game rocked.

:eye: :eye:

You are only hating because it's cool to hate popular games.

Less have heard of ZG2, so you can praise that and seem cooler.

I understand the need to demythologize the likes of RS, but to call it medicore is way off base. I can think of 100 more shmups made in the past decade that are mediocre, but RS and Ikaruga arent among that list.

So, the only innovative shhoter you've played is Zero Gunner 2? So everything before it was not innovative to you? How was RS' powerup system not innnovative? To base level design off a full compliment of weapons is pretty cool to me. And Ikaruga's colour switching idea was cool and added a lot to the genre(borrowed from their own game, SM).

This merely sounds like a Treasure bash fest. Fact of the matter is, those games are so popular and sought after because they are actually good. ney, great.

I don't see Stretch Panic demanding stupid prices on ebay...

I don't want to give you a heart attack, but GTA3 and Halo are actually decent games as well.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
The sytle you speek of is Raizing/Eighting style, I guess you either love it or hate it as I've found out from most people who've played the games.

Scuz39

User title.,
I think to enjoy games of that type (like as you mentioned RadiantSilvergun) you have to enjoy chasing top points and really understand thier point system... I only thought RS was ok until I understood the color system... it is insane when you play along those lines (particularly 2 people going after 2 goals is alot of fun...)

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Raizing/Eighting shooters are overrated as hell. It seems like people swung on Battle Garegga's nuts more than Armed Police Batrider... doesn't matter though, both games left me with a really "meh" feeling. I gave them a chance, but there's really nothing extraordinary about either of those games, and they're not fun enough to pull me back to keep playing. I really don't understand why people make such a big deal about these games.

I think the only Raizing shooter I sort of enjoyed for a little bit was Shippu Mahou Daisukasen, I thought the racing concept was kinda cool... but it annoyed the hell out of me because there was no consistency between games, sometimes the CPU opponents would blow past you and you had no chance in hell of keeping up, and other times you had no problems passing them.

BIG

sony fanboy
What's wrong with BatRider? Sure,it isn't the best shmup ever made,but it sure hell ain't the worst,either.

Battle Garegga...now that's what you call overrated and mEh at the same time.

BIG-

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
In my opinion Batrider is the most solid shooter ever made.

It does everything as close to perfection as you can get.

Gameplay, atomosphere, art style, variety, balance, SECRETS and over all presentation make it a winner. And I happen to think the graphics are pretty good. And holy shit you have 18 different ships to choose from with 3 variations of each one, giving you basically 54 ships to choose from. And hover bikes against criminals beats the shit outta bland space ship vs space armada any day of the week.

I'm not going to try and convince people to like it though...you've already made up your minds.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
BatRider is a pretty good (and difficult) shooter, IMO. Granted, I had more fun with ESP Ra.De. and Guwange, but I will BatRider it's props.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Batrider is quite nice because it gives you busloads of shmup fun but does not tend to overwhelm the player with esoteric gameplay elements like Ikaruga. It's not my fave shmup, but it's always good for a game or two, and it's shortness comes in handy for score hunts.

Basically, it's kinda dumb to compare Ikaruga and Batrider, but that's another can of worms. I play Batrider for different reasons than Ikaruga, and I bet that goes for most shmup'ers out there.

About Battle Garegga, well, I love it. It doesn't have all the bells'n'whistles of other games, but it's great fun, and challenging. Try to 1cc it and you'll see what I mean.... some games do not "open up" before you really get down and play it for score, that's the difference between the older and current shmups. IMO, Garegga is better than the sequel Battle Bakraid, but that's prolly just me I guess.... man, I love shmups with planes, tanks and military stuff, Garegga, 19xx, the Strikers games, etc. Oh yeah, and that's right, "R-Type Final it ain't", because it's a vert shmup, not a horizontal one... ;)

Another Raizing title I like is Soukyuu Gurentai. The ST-V original looks way better than the SAT and PSX ports, but it's kinda fun to play.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
BLASPHEM. Ikaruga is far better then good and great. Its one of the most orginal shmups I've played in a long time.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
the same can be said for fighting game fans who swing on SSF2X's nuts, but we all know GGXXReload is better.... :rolleyes:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Its pretty cool, it does the right shooting things.

Stuff like Ikaruga with other gameplay elements ruin the shooting experience for me.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
batrider is just.. a textbook shmup

nothing special about it, really.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
I love Batrider, and i'm a big fan of Raizing. Batrider is a treasure trove of secret ships and bosses, that offers months of deep play. I've always felt that along with the other greats Psikyo and Cave, Raizing kept the shooter genre alive in a time when 3D was startng to dominate.
I was very saddened when they finally closed their doors and now we only have Cave. Now i'm a Cave whore, but even i was finding their output to start smelling a little stale. Ibara looks like one of the most exciting games to hit shooters for years, because it has a VERY strong Raizing influence.