Neo Geo CD Conversion Project.

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
cdoty said:
Yes. I am also registered on the Neo Geo CD forum.

Back from the dead aye Charles? :mr_t:

Death adder and I have been trying to get ahold of you
for the better half of a year concerning superfighter.

Email him or myself! :)

KaNyErO

n00b
hi again

@ neo_X7

those games are too big to fully fit in ngcd memory so its out of my limits, better forget about them sorry

about kotm the conversion is complete, just some sounds are missing due again to ngcd memory limitation.

I think that maybe if i can downsample the pcm samples quality i can rebuild the file again so i could add even more voices to the games, but i dont know how to make that. For z80 (m1) maybe it could be removed some useless data.

Don´t worry im uploading those files, even the non working games:

Not Working - eightman.zip
Not Working - diggermanv2.zip
Not Working - diggerman.zip
Not Working - bakatono.zip
Not Working - minasan.zip
Not Working - neopong10.zip
Not Working - neopong11.zip
Not Working - puzzldpr.zip
Not Working - vliner.zip
Not Working - vlinero.zip

Maybe some experts could fix some of them.

Im having problems with my conection so i dont know when could i finish upload them but dont worry, you will have some news during this week :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Has somebody tried to burn theses isos and play them in the REAL hardware NGCD, not just emus?

KaNyErO

n00b
no, i´ve been requesting a tester for a long time but it seems that ngcd is not very common here in spain.

another thing i was requesting was a loader so you can choose any of the games directly from the menu and burn only just one cd for all those games and maybe more conversions (those for games that have a real ngcd version and that i never converted because of that reason).

im still having problems, i´ve been able to upload some games but i still must upload most of them, i will try to finish upload tomorrow. cross your fingers :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, I have actually owned two NGCD units, but sold them when I turned MVS. I think I know more people here in Barcelona who might have a NGCD, I'll ask around.

poutine

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Feel free to send any burns to this poor Scots man NGCD if you see fit, after all I'm just a jump over the ocean ;)

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
I have a Neo geo CDZ and I am willing to test some games out if you tell me which ones I need to burn. This seems exciting!

:buttrock:

KaNyErO

n00b
well here is what you have been waiting

http://www.speksnk.net/descargas/neocdconv/

please dont direct link to the files.

i just want one thing:

Please if anyone knows how to make better conversions just let me know:im interested in how to decrease v1 and m1 size mainly and how to fix those non working games.

Im also interested in ngcd to aes/mvs conversions, mainly in how to fix final romance 2 and how should adk workd and crossed swords 2 be converted.

another question im interested is make a frontend to store all those conversions in just only one cd.

Enjoy and tell me your experiencies, maybe more conversions will follow.

dreaggan

Cro ords, ,
I've just tryed to burn Zupapa (fixed version) and it doesn't work on my neo geo CD Z.
But, unlike the neo CD1 and neo CD2, ISOs don't work on the neo CDZ. So I don't know if the problem is due to conversion or to the neo CDZ.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
I can vouch for cdoty, been a while though, I think were were messing with a Puzzle De Pon conversion to the Neo CD on the Neo Homebrew list, might have been 3 or 4 years ago? I had hosted an early version of it on a site I had then........

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
I am willing to try it out but what is this I hear with the CDZ? That is what I got and need to know if I need to burn it a special way or something. Do I need a boot disk (ala Dreamcast)?

nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto

Overtop Pathfinder
jbeedham said:
I am willing to try it out but what is this I hear with the CDZ? That is what I got and need to know if I need to burn it a special way or something. Do I need a boot disk (ala Dreamcast)?

No , better a CUE file than ISO

the newest games cant be played on CDZ

KaNyErO

n00b
zupappa fixed version was fixed to work in nebula, the unfixed version worked fine en neocdsdl, i dunno if the original should work in real hardware (what was the problem???)

I dont know if any of those conversions work in real hardware.

Please post your comments here.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
No , better a CUE file than ISO

the newest games cant be played on CDZ

Can I play any of these games on CDZ? Or is it CD only?

Overtop Pathfinder
jbeedham said:
Can I play any of these games on CDZ? Or is it CD only?

Who knows? :smirk:

maybe the oldest...

i will try columns later on my CDZ... great game on Genesis without a doubt , veeery veeeeeery addictive, colosal battles with friends...

Columns > Tetris :D

Last edited:

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Who knows? :smirk:

maybe the oldest...

i will try columns later on my CDZ... great game on Genesis without a doubt , veeery veeeeeery addictive, colosal battles with friends...

Columns > Tetris :D

Columns was da bomb! I played that all the time on the Genesis. The music is cool too especially when it starts speeding up later in the game!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Im a lazy ass so didnt track back to the beginning but is it all that difficult to reverse this process to do NEOCD to MVS?

I realize some audio files may require downsampling etc. I'm mostly interested in NEOCD exclusive titles (those that never had an MVS/AES release).

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
KaNyErO said:
hi again

@ neo_X7

those games are too big to fully fit in ngcd memory so its out of my limits, better forget about them sorry

about kotm the conversion is complete, just some sounds are missing due again to ngcd memory limitation.

I think that maybe if i can downsample the pcm samples quality i can rebuild the file again so i could add even more voices to the games, but i dont know how to make that. For z80 (m1) maybe it could be removed some useless data.

Don´t worry im uploading those files, even the non working games:

Not Working - eightman.zip
Not Working - diggermanv2.zip
Not Working - diggerman.zip
Not Working - bakatono.zip
Not Working - minasan.zip
Not Working - neopong10.zip
Not Working - neopong11.zip
Not Working - puzzldpr.zip
Not Working - vliner.zip
Not Working - vlinero.zip

Maybe some experts could fix some of them.

Im having problems with my conection so i dont know when could i finish upload them but dont worry, you will have some news during this week :)

For MOTW couldn't you just make it were it would only load the Characters and back ground data in to the system memory one match at a time?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
NeoCverA said:
Im a lazy ass so didnt track back to the beginning but is it all that difficult to reverse this process to do NEOCD to MVS?

I realize some audio files may require downsampling etc. I'm mostly interested in NEOCD exclusive titles (those that never had an MVS/AES release).

It is possible, but usually much more difficult, very few games have been able to do so far, there exist some CD->MVS conversions like Zintrick. About sounds, all the audio CD simply has to go so this games don't have any music, only sounds effect.

Overtop Pathfinder
NeoCverA said:
I'm mostly interested in NEOCD exclusive titles (those that never had an MVS/AES release).

mmmmh

adk world
crossed swords 2
iron clad
neo geo cd special
zintrick
samurai shodown rpg
final romance 2
king of fighters 96 collection

i dont remember more now....maybe a quiz game...or not

KaNyErO

n00b
mmmmh

adk world
crossed swords 2
iron clad
neo geo cd special
zintrick
samurai shodown rpg
final romance 2
king of fighters 96 collection

i dont remember more now....maybe a quiz game...or not

zintrick was made
final romance 2 was made but the conversion is not perfect (it reboots)
samsho rpg COULD NEVER BE MADE because its size
neo geo cd special is nothing but some demos

the only interesting games to be converted are:
adk world
crossed swords 2
iron clad
but they are too complex for me ... but if you want you can try :p

@neo_x7 as i told before its not possible just remember what happened with aof3.... but feel free to try yourself :)

Large

, ,
CD-versions of homebrew games would be really, really cool. CD-versions of commercial games are just copyright infringement imo. Beware!

Cheers
Large

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
One of the sounds tools I created a while ago would allow you to convert the PCM data to WAV files, then you could do whatever you wanted to them (resample, shorten, etc), and convert them back to the Neo PCM format. I'm not sure if this is on my site or not.

You would need to modify the driver file (M1) to adjust the sample pointers. Back when I was pissing with sound (before we had our own driver), I was using a hacked Puzzle de Pon M1 that pointed to my samples. It was pretty simple to do once you figured out the data layout.

A couple things to note (at least for the YM hardware) is that the PCM data starts on 00 bounds and ends on FF bounds so in the data table, you would not see the low byte of the start and end addresses. For example, if the sample was from 0x42300 to 0x425FF, in the table, you would see 0x0423 and 0x0425. Make sense? It's been a couple years since I looked at this, but this is just something to get your moving. I'm sure I have my old notes somewhere if needed.

The easiest way to find address offsets for sounds -- hack MAME and update the YM driver to spit out the commands it receives. Then use the UNI-BIOS to play the sound sample codes. Look at the log file and see what addresses were written to the YM chip. This is the way I did it back in the day, but I didn't have the UNI-BIOS -- I had my own test roms. I would image the UNI-BIOS would make it a lot easier for messing with multiple games.

I haven't looked at any of your conversions (even my games - Columns, Poker Night, etc -- thanks for asking) but if they are not booting on real hardware, it could be a problem with the loading sequence in the IPL.TXT file, or file sizes.

I think it would have been better if you worked with Charles on this rather than trying to undermine what he is doing. At least he is making sure his conversions work on real hardware AND he has the capabilities of doing the patching that would be necessary to fix some of the common problems you are describing. You should be supportive of his work.

Jeff

NeoCverA said:

KaNyErO

n00b
im not trying to start a war, if you see my first post i say:

"Why pay for such a kind of stuff when those conversions were made and released a long time ago? Anyway this guy put a lot of effort in this and deserves it, you should decide that."

Anyone that wants to pay for those conversions is free to do it, i just wanted to say that i could feel bad if i pay for a conversion and then i find that they were released for free before.

I will be glad to work with cdoty if he wants: my private message inbox is ready for him.

Sorry if i didnt ask for converting your games, if you want i will remove them. I added the license where i could find it (see pokern).

About testing: i dont have a ngcd or ngcdz and i cant find any. i´ve been requesting a tester for a long time. If you see some isos are more than 6 months old, but nobody wanted to help so i finally did a dat and sent the isos to some collectors that should spread them.

About Your m1 and v hacking information: looks very interesting i hope you could share it.

About the bugs: ipl.txt secuence is revised, all files are trimed to the maximum supported ngcd size, and all of them have been tested in the best ngcd emulators i´ve been able to find. I dont really know if they work in real hardware but they should. It would be great to make a compability table using different emulators and real hardware (nebula, neocdsdl, neocdsld DC, Ngcd, Ngcdz). The problem with sound is that most of m1 in aes are 128k while in ngcd only 64kb are loaded. The same problem happens with v roms: ncd only can handle 1 mb.

@ large : i think having roms without the real board is ilegal too. I think snk allows the usage of its material for fan made games (for example mugen). Since the games converted are quite old and dont have support, and there are not profits with them i think there will be not problems at all

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I just made a Ghostlop coaster :crying:

The game loads all the way to 100% and then the system resets. It did this on both my top loader and CDZ. I'm still anxious to try cdoty's conversions though.