So what's the deal with R-Type Final?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
You gonna pick me up a copy? ;)

BIG-
BigpOppaLarge, if you are willing to foot a small margin to cover my gas cost and shipping, I could get you one. If you do, PM me.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
You gonna pick me up a copy? ;)

BIG-

It ain't out of reason, holmes. If I can make it out there, I'll see if they still have it on the shelf. Here's to hopin'- cause it's a damn fine piece of work.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Okay, so I picked up this game today for my PS2 and its the most goregous shmup I've ever seen. It is a bit slow moving, but I am adjusting. I defenitly like the "gotta collect all the ships" aspect and the ability to customize. I think this game will provide hours upon hours of fun.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Guys, don't forget that you can adjust the speed of your ship. On 3/4 or full speed, it moves quite quickly.

The speed option is your friend, specially in later levels...

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
+ Lots of ships

+ Secret levels and shit

+ Good atmosphere

+ AI Battle

- too short

- slowdownnnn

- boring end boss.

p.S

Help moi.

How do you manage to shoot the "pegs" on the level 5 end boss, you know the egg-shaped thing that opens up, etc.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Late said:
Help moi.

How do you manage to shoot the "pegs" on the level 5 end boss, you know the egg-shaped thing that opens up, etc.

You can shoot them with a fully charged wave cannon shot. The way you defeat this boss determines what type of level-6 you'll get. I don't want to spoil it for you so just ask/PM me about it if you want to know more.

Start with shooting either one of the red or blue thingies, then blast away on the glowing orbs. Using a higher ship speed helps to dodge the beams the boss shoots at you.

I got the best results with the type-2 ship and constant charge shots.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I gotta question, where do I locate these passwords to unlock more ships on the websites? I went to www.playfresh.com and it seems it doesn't even exist. I also went to the Eidos site, should I just try to different numbers on the pages? I know I could make a quick trip to www.gamefaqs.com and get all the info I need, but I'd to try to get it the hard way first ;)

Or am I just dreaming and gotta take the easy route :(

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Having a blast playing this game. Unlocked 30 of the 101 ships. I think I'm gonna have to break down and just get the Pass Codes for the ships of gamefaqs.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Big Shady said:
Having a blast playing this game. Unlocked 30 of the 101 ships. I think I'm gonna have to break down and just get the Pass Codes for the ships of gamefaqs.

According to the faqs I've read, there only are four ships that need to be unlocked via passwords.

However, many ships can only be unlocked if you've already got the previous ones, others require to play the game with a certain ship for 15+ mins and/or have another ship unlocked already., etc. In short, if you have the import verson and can't read Japanese, it's almost impossible to find out about all requirements without a faq.

I recommend Mike Maraldo's R-Type Final (Jap) Mini-FAQ for Unlocking Ships (get it from Gamefagg0ts..).

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Big Shady said:

actually those ships are available only by passcode, the rest you have to earn

good luck, before you know it, you'll accumulate RPG type hours with this game

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Takumaji said:
According to the faqs I've read, there only are four ships that need to be unlocked via passwords.

However, many ships can only be unlocked if you've already got the previous ones, others require to play the game with a certain ship for 15+ mins and/or have another ship unlocked already., etc. In short, if you have the import verson and can't read Japanese, it's almost impossible to find out about all requirements without a faq.

I recommend Mike Maraldo's R-Type Final (Jap) Mini-FAQ for Unlocking Ships (get it from Gamefagg0ts..).
Yeah, checked it that FAQ out, extremely well done. I do have the US version, so I get in English. Thanks for all the infro guys. Back to playing R-Type Final on my day off :)

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
R-Type never got much love anyway, especially not in europe (for those who care)

The first R-type we got here was for the gameboy, cheaper than cheap always available on the bottom of any budget bin.. But it was quite good

Than Super R-Type, what a wonderful game, but it got no love either and went straight to the budget bin as well.

R-Type 3, NO RELEASE afaik :mad:

R-Type delta, a bit better, but noone played it

R-Type final, same story as in the US

Bah

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
roke stAr said:
actually those ships are available only by passcode, the rest you have to earn

good luck, before you know it, you'll accumulate RPG type hours with this game
8 hours and 35 ships unlocked. So much fun :buttrock:

I haven't enjoyed a shmup this much since I got Ikaruga over a year ago.